JN Run Club

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So it’s 8:25 PM and it’s 88 degrees outside. What tips do you guys have for running in relatively high heat other than pounding water? Just suck it up?

We always did most of our summer running at the beach.  Of course, our daily run was only about 2 1/2 miles, but we were always in great shape when the summer ended.  Very difficult to judge speed/distance compared to actual track or road running though. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I have an impossibly stupid update on my training. 

So, while I was was doing other training while my IT band stopped raging, I researched and purchased a pair of ASICS Gel Kayano’s to help with overpronation (which I determined was a factor in my IT band killing me). Anyway, I’ve been running in those for about three weeks and I’ve been having major issues with the toes on my left foot. Turns out, my left foot is slightly bigger than my right foot, and I was supposed to buy the *real* running shoes a half size bigger anyway, so I’ve been methodically sawing off the fronts of my smaller toes as I ran, which I unconsciously started compensating for by shortening my stride, which was killing my times AND my feet. I figured this was a natural part of the training (working past soft-boy feet issues) so I didn’t really connect it to the sneaker change/poor fit. Finally, I went and had my feet measured, found out the left one is bigger, and got a pair of Saucony’s in size 14 and—within a week—was back to my PR pace, even with the fronts of my toes looking like someone took a cheese grater to them. Good times!

one quick question: What do you guys focus on when running long distances? I find that if I think too much about pacing or breathing, I sabotage both of them and totally **** myself up. Do you have any tricks or methods you use to pass the time mentally, or do you concentrate on the running itself? 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, while I was was doing other training while my IT band stopped raging, I researched and purchased a pair of ASICS Gel Kayano’s to help with overpronation (which I determined was a factor in my IT band killing me). Anyway, I’ve been running in those for about three weeks and I’ve been having major issues with the toes on my left foot. Turns out, my left foot is slightly bigger than my right foot, and I was supposed to buy the *real* running shoes a half size bigger anyway, so I’ve been methodically sawing off the fronts of my smaller toes as I ran, which I unconsciously started compensating for by shortening my stride, which was killing my times AND my feet. I figured this was a natural part of the training (working past soft-boy feet issues) so I didn’t really connect it to the sneaker change/poor fit. Finally, I went and had my feet measured, found out the left one is bigger, and got a pair of Saucony’s in size 14 and—within a week—was back to my PR pace, even with the fronts of my toes looking like someone took a cheese grater to them. Good times!

one quick question: What do you guys focus on when running long distances? I find that if I think too much about pacing or breathing, I sabotage both of them and totally **** myself up. Do you have any tricks or methods you use to pass the time mentally, or do you concentrate on the running itself? 

That's an awfully long post just to tell us your shoe size. Weird.

@joewiliy12

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, T0mShane said:

are you doing any weight training for your legs?  Squats, machines etc?  I think you should be. Not heavy..enough weight to do 20 reps of something. Touching the floor with 25 pound dumbbells in each hand stretches your legs, helps your back, squats, etc.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

are you doing any weight training for your legs?  Squats, machines etc?  I think you should be. Not heavy..enough weight to do 20 reps of something. Touching the floor with 25 pound dumbbells in each hand stretches your legs, helps your back, squats, etc.

I absolutely have been doing a leg strengthening regimen based on your earlier advice and it’s helped tremendously

On 7/2/2019 at 8:12 PM, T0mShane said:

Also, running folk, any tips for dealing with knee tendinitis? I get it occasionally and it knocks me out for a week at a time. The literature says to just train less, but that seems counterproductive. 

Depends where in the knee. A lot of knee issues are hip and glute related. If it’s on the outside of the knee or under/inner, that’s the IT band, not your knee.

**** rest. Strengthen. Anything that strengthens the IT bands (one legged like variations, bridges...etc.) and lots of foam rolling. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Depends where in the knee. A lot of knee issues are hip and glute related. If it’s on the outside of the knee or under/inner, that’s the IT band, not your knee.

**** rest. Strengthen. Anything that strengthens the IT bands (one legged like variations, bridges...etc.) and lots of foam rolling. 

Definitely the outside of the knee and most definitely IT band issues. I have a “weak ass.” I’m emphasizing more leg work at the gym, and I’ve been putting 35+ miles per week on my road bike, and the apparent knee issues have responded really well to it. I was concerned because I had old meniscus injuries from basketball that I thought were going to sabotage me, but I’ve just been pushing through it. I just have to keep working on it.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Definitely the outside of the knee and most definitely IT band issues. I have a “weak ass.” I’m emphasizing more leg work at the gym, and I’ve been putting 35+ miles per week on my road bike, and the apparent knee issues have responded really well to it. I was concerned because I had old meniscus injuries from basketball that I thought were going to sabotage me, but I’ve just been pushing through it. I just have to keep working on it.

T0m and his "weak ass" on his exercise bike:

Spoiler

804032676_MacsBike.gif.934ffe8e434613c72aafdd64156dd494.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Exercise bands for moves like clam shells and lateral movements really make a huge difference as well. And the new generation of home massage guns are lifesavers. Hyperice has been a real miracle worker for me. Pricey but 100% worth it. 

Also get yourself some topical magnesium and/or (reputable) CBD balm. 

#1 thing you can do to combat tightness and inflammation though is diet. 

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Second this. My IT bands have always been tight, to the degree that I was getting valgus collapse on back squats and crossing my fingers every time I went down that I wouldn't shred both knees. Rest didn't really help, but switching to Bulgarian split squats sure as hell did. I would also recommend one of those S-shaped trigger point massagers to help clear out the stuff that foam rolling alone can't get to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Second this. My IT bands have always been tight, to the degree that I was getting valgus collapse on back squats and crossing my fingers every time I went down that I wouldn't shred both knees. Rest didn't really help, but switching to Bulgarian split squats sure as hell did. I would also recommend one of those S-shaped trigger point massagers to help clear out the stuff that foam rolling alone can't get to.

For more pinpoint issues you can't  get with a foam roller or theracane.   This bad boy, give you all kinds of leverage.

recovery ball.jpg

• Upvote 3

My body wants to be 192-195 pounds.  If I ate what I wanted with some limits and still exercise Id be 190-192.

I ran a marathon in Dec 2017 and got down to 180.

I can barely run now, changed my workout to more "HIIT" stuff and am 183 and I see cuts Ive never seen before.

I guess my question for the crew is , who still "runs" as their major thing?

Here is my client and personal trainer.  From Nyack NY.   He went to Wake Forest on a track scholarship, is 47.  Says he stopped running years ago and put on this muscle.  Check out his videos, instagram etc.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Bulgarian split squats are the devil. A lot of people don’t realize the level of leg workout you can get with just a kettlebell and a plyobox.

I haven’t picked up a barbell for anything in years. 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bulgarian split squats are the devil. A lot of people don’t realize the level of leg workout you can get with just a kettlebell and a plyobox.

I haven’t picked up a barbell for anything in years. 

What if one is directly in front of were you want to go?

On 7/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, TeddEY said:

Because @T0mShane is running a Half Marathon in Joshua Tree and it’ll be funny to watch him die.

Also, @The Crusher has promised me a head-to-head 10K at Jets @ Skins this year.  So that’ll be fun!

Anyone run?

Track and cross country in high school.  Started running a bit again in my 30's and early 40's, mostly because my wife does.  We've done a few of those Ragnar Relays around the country.  Fun, crazy thing to do with friends but I've found that having some type of event or race out there in the future keeps my motivated.  I'll sign up for a 10K about 3 months from now to make sure I get myself moving.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 11:53 AM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

1:59:40 HOLY ******* sh*t

It's a crazy feat, but if you follow this stuff, it's a testament to what you can buy if you put all your resources to it. The entire event from the format to the rules was catered for the dude to accomplish this. That said, he broke his own record, so it's whatever for now. The whole thing just feels inorganic.

All that said I don't think most people fully realize how fast you have to be running to do something like that. Get on a treadmill and crank it up to the highest speed. Now do that for a mile. Now try for two. Kipchoge ran not just faster than that, but a LOT faster than that, for 26.2 of those.

Here's some more detail on how they set it up

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/10/kipchoges-sub-two-hour-marathon-how-legitimate-it/599974/

The planning that went into the event was a fantasy of perfectionism. The organizers scouted out a six-mile circuit along the Danube River that was flat, straight, and close to sea level. Parts of the road were marked with the fastest possible route, and a car guided the runners by projecting its own disco-like laser in front of them to show the correct pace. The pacesetters, a murderers’ row of Olympians and other distance stars, ran seven-at-a-time in a wind-blocking formation devised by an expert of aerodynamics. (Imagine the Mighty Ducks’ “flying V,” but reversed.)

Kipchoge himself came equipped with an updated, still-unreleased version of Nike’s controversial Vaporfly shoes, which, research appears to confirm, lower marathoners’ times. He had unfettered access to his favorite carbohydrate-rich drink, courtesy of a cyclist who rode alongside the group. And the event’s start time was scheduled within an eight-day window to ensure the best possible weather. The whole thing was as close as you can get to a mobile marathon spa treatment—if going to a spa were paired with the worst discomfort of your life.

Such an extensive level of support, combined with the fact that Kipchoge wasn’t actually competing against anybody, pushed the event outside of official marathon conditions and prevented his performance from counting as a true record. The organizers were fully aware of this; the event, as Outside magazine aptly referred to it, is perhaps best understood as an “exhibition marathon.” It was a time trial, albeit one that had been scienced to an almost entirely unrivaled level.

It's a crazy feat, but if you follow this stuff, it's a testament to what you can buy if you put all your resources to it. The entire event from the format to the rules was catered for the dude to accomplish this. That said, he broke his own record, so it's whatever for now. The whole thing just feels inorganic.

That's fair. I don't have any knowledge of or interest in long-distance running but I certainly get why somebody who does would regard this as having been mostly for the lols. At the same time, every sporting event is an exhibition. They still spotlight batting average on MLB broadcasts. Gameplanning and playcalling are discussed extensively on JN. This is still sort of a big deal because 2 hours is a round number and you can operationalize 13 MPH in your car. But yeah, we're not talking like Bolt or Phelps or whatever with this dude.

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That's fair. I don't have any knowledge of or interest in long-distance running but I certainly get why somebody who does would regard this as having been mostly for the lols. At the same time, every sporting event is an exhibition. They still spotlight batting average on MLB broadcasts. Gameplanning and playcalling are discussed extensively on JN. This is still sort of a big deal because 2 hours is a round number and you can operationalize 13 MPH in your car. But yeah, we're not talking like Bolt or Phelps or whatever with this dude.

Essentially yeah. Worth noting that the dude who did it was already the GOAT, so this was pretty much like giving Babe Ruth an aluminum bat and favorable winds for an entire season and watching the fireworks. 

Essentially yeah. Worth noting that the dude who did it was already the GOAT, so this was pretty much like giving Babe Ruth an aluminum bat and favorable winds for an entire season and watching the fireworks. 

That I didn't know. I figured he was just the best guy until the next best guy comes along kind of deal. Still I would have to think that the longer times and distances involved leave more room for incremental breaking and rebreaking of records so I can see what you mean as far as just letting it happen organically.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, T0mShane said:

I used to love running in the rain whether a race or just some LSD. The rain kept me cool but the sound of the tigers hitting that wet pavement kinda hypnotized me Pat pat pat pat pat pat is all I heard and it helped me get my rhythm going. My 1st sub 3:10 marathon was in the Vermont state championships in a steady rain/drizzle back in the late 70's.  5 circuit course so I tried running it circuit a little quicker. Ran negative splits. PR at the time. 

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That I didn't know. I figured he was just the best guy until the next best guy comes along kind of deal. Still I would have to think that the longer times and distances involved leave more room for incremental breaking and rebreaking of records so I can see what you mean as far as just letting it happen organically.

Everything he enters he wins, which isn’t supposed to happen in marathon running. Sub-2 has been the holy grail for a very long time in running. It was never a question of if it would happen but when and everyone was pretty sure Kipchoge would be the guy to do it in Berlin or Chicago after what he did last year (essentially shattered the record by a Secretariat-esque length). Nike kinda preempted that with this whole Vienna thing and while it’s pretty cool I can’t help but feel like we got jipped for marketing purposes.  

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Everything he enters he wins, which isn’t supposed to happen in marathon running. Sub-2 has been the holy grail for a very long time in running. It was never a question of if it would happen but when and everyone was pretty sure Kipchoge would be the guy to do it in Berlin or Chicago after what he did last year (essentially shattered the record by a Secretariat-esque length). Nike kinda preempted that with this whole Vienna thing and while it’s pretty cool I can’t help but feel like we got jipped for marketing purposes.  

Meh - Maybe.  I think everyone who's interested knows this is a showcase, as you even allude to.  And it's a phenomenal one at that, even with all the support.  But, if he ever does it in an actual race, that will certainly dwarf this.  He's only 1:40 away from that.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Meh - Maybe.  I think everyone who's interested knows this is a showcase, as you even allude to.  And it's a phenomenal one at that, even with all the support.  But, if he ever does it in an actual race, that will certainly dwarf this.  He's only 1:40 away from that.

I dunno man, they've literally been working with him on this since 2011. They science'd the sh*t out of this. A laser-guided pathway on a six-mile circuit at sea level with personal drafters...etc. It's a cool thing and maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but this sort of stuff only happens for the first time once.