Sign in to follow this  
TeddEY

JN Run Club

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So it’s 8:25 PM and it’s 88 degrees outside. What tips do you guys have for running in relatively high heat other than pounding water? Just suck it up?

We always did most of our summer running at the beach.  Of course, our daily run was only about 2 1/2 miles, but we were always in great shape when the summer ended.  Very difficult to judge speed/distance compared to actual track or road running though. 

• Upvote 1

One of my friends fathers died at 55 from taking nsaids daily 

dont do it 

• Upvote 1

Gonna start running 

is it bad if the pavement cracks?

• Haha 1

I have an impossibly stupid update on my training. 

So, while I was was doing other training while my IT band stopped raging, I researched and purchased a pair of ASICS Gel Kayano’s to help with overpronation (which I determined was a factor in my IT band killing me). Anyway, I’ve been running in those for about three weeks and I’ve been having major issues with the toes on my left foot. Turns out, my left foot is slightly bigger than my right foot, and I was supposed to buy the *real* running shoes a half size bigger anyway, so I’ve been methodically sawing off the fronts of my smaller toes as I ran, which I unconsciously started compensating for by shortening my stride, which was killing my times AND my feet. I figured this was a natural part of the training (working past soft-boy feet issues) so I didn’t really connect it to the sneaker change/poor fit. Finally, I went and had my feet measured, found out the left one is bigger, and got a pair of Saucony’s in size 14 and—within a week—was back to my PR pace, even with the fronts of my toes looking like someone took a cheese grater to them. Good times!

one quick question: What do you guys focus on when running long distances? I find that if I think too much about pacing or breathing, I sabotage both of them and totally **** myself up. Do you have any tricks or methods you use to pass the time mentally, or do you concentrate on the running itself? 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I have an impossibly stupid update on my training. 

So, while I was was doing other training while my IT band stopped raging, I researched and purchased a pair of ASICS Gel Kayano’s to help with overpronation (which I determined was a factor in my IT band killing me). Anyway, I’ve been running in those for about three weeks and I’ve been having major issues with the toes on my left foot. Turns out, my left foot is slightly bigger than my right foot, and I was supposed to buy the *real* running shoes a half size bigger anyway, so I’ve been methodically sawing off the fronts of my smaller toes as I ran, which I unconsciously started compensating for by shortening my stride, which was killing my times AND my feet. I figured this was a natural part of the training (working past soft-boy feet issues) so I didn’t really connect it to the sneaker change/poor fit. Finally, I went and had my feet measured, found out the left one is bigger, and got a pair of Saucony’s in size 14 and—within a week—was back to my PR pace, even with the fronts of my toes looking like someone took a cheese grater to them. Good times!

one quick question: What do you guys focus on when running long distances? I find that if I think too much about pacing or breathing, I sabotage both of them and totally **** myself up. Do you have any tricks or methods you use to pass the time mentally, or do you concentrate on the running itself? 

That's an awfully long post just to tell us your shoe size. Weird.

@joewiliy12

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's an awfully long post just to tell us your shoe size. Weird.

@joewiliy12

I’d guarantee that Joe prefers men with dainty, manicured feet in the size 7-8 range.

• Haha 1