JN Run Club

• 3 weeks later...

I need some motivation.

ive been running on a consistent basis for about 7 years averaging 60 k week. My average pace ( if you were wondering was 5:15/k) 

i was diagnosed with non Hodgkins in 2016. Did chemo for about 10 months in 2017 all the while I  still kept running about 3-5 times week. 

Health wise, I’m doing good. I Kept running up until this summer, then I just suddenly stopped, no joke just like Forrest Gump.

please help me get off my fat ass before I turn into a marshmallow 

thanks

ps, I can’t believe how many of us Jets fan actually run!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Just qualified this weekend for NYC2020.

I'm going to have to get back into shape.  This could get ugly.

Good luck. 

I remember years ago (1980s) when I qualified in the spring for the NYC Triathlon Championships which took place in the fall.  Took some time off and I fell out of shape.  Never even made it to the finish liine of the Championships; only race I ever started that I couldn't finish.  Don't let yourself fall too far, it is easier to stay in shape than get back in shape.

Hopefully your experience will be better.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Good luck. 

I remember years ago (1980s) when I qualified in the spring for the NYC Triathlon Championships which took place in the fall.  Took some time off and I fell out of shape.  Never even made it to the finish liine of the Championships; only race I ever started that I couldn't finish.  Don't let yourself fall too far, it is easier to stay in shape than get back in shape.

Hopefully your experience will be better.

I think I’ll be okay.  I have 10.5 months and you really only need 4.  So, I figure over the next 6 if I can build a base where 10-12M is relatively easy, I’ll be good to start pressing.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:29 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think humans were meant to run marathons.  Swimming seems like a much better exercise on your joints.  

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

013060F4-8EE2-4291-8150-8F5D39DDF039.thumb.jpeg.939fc68d4eb56697b81f974afd5f2262.jpeg

There’s a school of thinking that we were actually uniquely evolved for exactly that purpose.  That it’s ‘bad for your joints’ is because 1) Nike and 2) we got fat and lazy.

6 hours ago, TeddEY said:

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

013060F4-8EE2-4291-8150-8F5D39DDF039.thumb.jpeg.939fc68d4eb56697b81f974afd5f2262.jpeg

There’s a school of thinking that we were actually uniquely evolved for exactly that purpose.  That it’s ‘bad for your joints’ is because 1) Nike and 2) we got fat and lazy.

*not evolved to run marathons on long stretches of concrete

• 4 weeks later...

I used to run 3 to 5 miles about 4 times a week back until a few weeks before my daughter was born.  Haven't really ran since and am in comparatively bad shape compared to 2015.  I did make it a goal to get back into this year.  Hopefully I will be running 5k and 10k races by some point this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Possibly obtuse observation, but I run through a relatively metro area with an interstate in close proximity. Have any of you runners noticed a change in air quality since the quasi-quarantine orders have come down? (FTR, the route I take is mostly secluded and doesn’t pass through residential areas).