4 of the Jets’ most overlooked offseason acquisitions

I don't think anyone on JN is overlooking these 4.  Crowder was talked about a lot.  Compton is an important depth piece. 

Siemian is what he is:  A nice veteran backup who can keep a team competitive if Darnold has to miss a few games. 

I don't really see anything impressive about Poole.  A nickleback who hits hard is not all that valuable.  Can he cover?

• Upvote 4

Starting that list with Siemian was a bad move. If Sam goes down this season is ruined. In a few ways. Because so much of this season is about our hopes for what Sam is going to show us, with the W-L record almost being secondary... If Sam goes down, I just can't see my reaction being "at least we signed Trevor Siemian"

1 hour ago, Steveg said:

Poole is often forgotten simply because he joined New York well before free agency started. Once the regular season kicks off, Jets fans will be reminded of how good Poole is in the slot.

The 26-year-old is a hard-hitting nickel corner who is solid in both run support and pass coverage. Poole is also playing the best football of his career right now, as he set career highs in sacks and interceptions a year ago.

Poole is a playmaker who has the ability to help solidify the Jets secondary this upcoming season. If he can replicate what he did with the Atlanta Falcons in 2018, Poole is in for a big first season with Gang Green.

Tyler Calvaruso

Poole signed well before free agency started because the Falcons decided to non-tender him.  They didn't even want him at the cheap rate.  Playing the best football of his career?  PFF didn't think so.  Apparently, neither did the Falcons. 

56 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Starting that list with Siemian was a bad move. If Sam goes down this season is ruined. In a few ways. Because so much of this season is about our hopes for what Sam is going to show us, with the W-L record almost being secondary... If Sam goes down, I just can't see my reaction being "at least we signed Trevor Siemian"

Back up QB is a little more than being ready for when your number is called. What he can bring in a meeting room, on the sideline he can see certain things to bring to Gase/Darnold for in game adjustments. 

Take a look at Mccown last year. I think when he played with out checking the stats, he finished I believe 1-3. Off the field though, what he brings to the QB room can hold value. 

I am not saying that Siemian is that guy, but he does have experience as a starter and seems to be hard working and smart. 

I feel like without overpaying for a back up QB, this was a good under the radar signing. 

2 hours ago, Steveg said:

Poole is often forgotten simply because he joined New York well before free agency started. Once the regular season kicks off, Jets fans will be reminded of how good Poole is in the slot.

The 26-year-old is a hard-hitting nickel corner who is solid in both run support and pass coverage. Poole is also playing the best football of his career right now, as he set career highs in sacks and interceptions a year ago.

Poole is a playmaker who has the ability to help solidify the Jets secondary this upcoming season. If he can replicate what he did with the Atlanta Falcons in 2018, Poole is in for a big first season with Gang Green.

This player will benefit a lot from being in Williams system, who is known for blitzing with a nickel corner in different packages. 

Playing with Maye for 3 years in college is another unique aspect

Maybe not under the radar, but can be a low risk, high reward move.  

Edited by Rsherman28
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

People waaaaay overate crowder.  He is going to be the 5th best pass option we have after robby, quincy, herndon and bell.

I see this too, 

67 catches on 99 targets is the career high.

With all the players mentioned it would be tough for him to get over 100 targets, let alone 100 catches. 

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

maybe. how many teams can survive the starter going down for an extended period?  not many.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Crowder?? He’s been talked about as a possible 100 catch receiver by posters. 

Clearly the guy who wrote the article doesn't come here.  Not a smart move.  If you want the pulse of the Jets PLUS active banter about penises, this is the place for beat writers to come. 

• Sympathy 1

This will be offense by committee here. What makes it hard on defenses is diversity & attacking weaknesses. 

Teams with slow LBs will get a large dose of our RBs out of the backfield. Teams with no depth in the back end of the defense will be getting Crowder until they adjust. Teams with smaller CBS & slow safeties will be dealing with Quincy, Herndon, Wesco. Every slow CB is gonna be tested by Robbie deep. I think this is going to be the 1st time in a LONG TIME that the Jets will have opponent based game plans on offense instead of the 1st & 2nd down runs up the gut & 3rd & 10 1/2.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I had the same reaction.

Granted, if Sam misses a game of two it's good to have a solid backup but if he misses real time we're likely screwed anyway.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Clearly the guy who wrote the article doesn't come here.  Not a smart move.  If you want the pulse of the Jets PLUS active banter about penises, this is the place for beat writers to come. 

Que?

Looking at the Dolphins 2018 depth chart, I think some folks might be surprised at how we line up our WRs:

Kenny Stills (6'0, 194) played LWR and was third on the team in targets (64) --> I see Robby Anderson in this role. 

Danny Amendola (5'11, 184) played RWR and lead the team in targets (79) --> I see Jamison Crowder playing outside in this scheme.

Devante Parker (6'3, 209) played slot receiver in the 11 games he played, which likely explains his low target total (47) --> Quincy Enunwa 

Kenyan Drake was second on the team in targets (73), I'm sure Gase is greatly understating how much he'll appreciate Le'Veon Bell in his offense. 

Then rookie TE, Mike Gesicki played in all 16 games and only received 32 targets (catching 22, for 0 TDs)... something to consider.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, peebag said:

Sure hope Compton can give us big minutes.  I'm afraid we're going to need all the help we can get on the Oline.

No argument here. I think our O line is better than last year right now despite not much help from the draft.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

People waaaaay overate crowder.  He is going to be the 5th best pass option we have after robby, quincy, herndon and bell.

If he can be as reliable on third down as Kearse was his first year he won't be overrated. I personally have not watched any tape on him so I don't really know how rated he is, but we do have some weaponz. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

hehehehehe...."beat" writers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are you referring to the Dick with a Tick??B)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Um, of the last 4 Super Bowl champs, 3 did.  Wentz missed 3 games and the post-seasons, Brady missed 4 games to start 2016 and Peyton missed 7 the year before. 

Context dude.

The Eagles were stacked. Brady missed the first four games which don’t mean sh*t. Peyton had an All-World defense which could make up for the fact Brock was a total turd.

2 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Wasn’t mentioned in the article period.

Not sure if you mean the title wasn't mentioned or the player. The player wasn't mentioned considering he was picked up via trade not through free agency. The title is mentioned in second sentence. 

4 hours ago, Steveg said:

The Jets dominated the headlines in the opening days of free agency by signing running back Le'Veon Bell and linebacker C.J. Mosley. As a result, some of New York's other free agent acquisitions flew under the radar.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rsherman28 said:

Not sure if you mean the title wasn't mentioned or the player. The player wasn't mentioned considering he was picked up via trade not through free agency. The title is mentioned in second sentence.

Ah sh*t. I thought he’d been a FA pickup and didn’t realize he was a trade, my bad. Not a JN homer but I was scratching my head at how he wasn’t mentioned with Bell/Mosley but left off the other list as well. Now I know!

2 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Ah sh*t. I thought he’d been a FA pickup and didn’t realize he was a trade, my bad. Not a JN homer but I was scratching my head at how he wasn’t mentioned with Bell/Mosley but left off the other list as well. Now I know!

All Good!

KO has a lot to prove this year. He was an absolute beast in 2016 and 17, making the pro bowl in both years. 2018, he only plays 11 games due to injury and gets moved to us. 

If he can get back to where he was in 16/17, he would be more better labeled as a steal rather than overlooked. 

Most likely because we need so much help on the OL, it really is hard to label any one overlooked in this position. 

sh*t I think I have asked my mail man if he can play center!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rsherman28 said:

All Good!

KO has a lot to prove this year. He was an absolute beast in 2016 and 17, making the pro bowl in both years. 2018, he only plays 11 games due to injury and gets moved to us. 

If he can get back to where he was in 16/17, he would be more better labeled as a steal rather than overlooked. 

Most likely because we need so much help on the OL, it really is hard to label any one overlooked in this position. 

sh*t I think I have asked my mail man if he can play center!

I agree. I saw him on Good Morning Football and seemed like a solid guy. If he can return to form and pave way for Bell the Jets offense will be on the uptick. Next year’s draft is looking to be loaded at WR as well. I don’t personally have a lot of faith in Crowder.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Context dude.

The Eagles were stacked. Brady missed the first four games which don’t mean sh*t. Peyton had an All-World defense which could make up for the fact Brock was a total turd.

Context?

3 of the last 4 super bowl winners survived the extended loss of their QB.  Were they good teams?  Yeah, no sh*t.  They won the super bowl.  

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Context?

3 of the last 4 super bowl winners survived the extended loss of their QB.  Were they good teams?  Yeah, no sh*t.  They won the super bowl.  

Exactly. Not every team boasts that sort of talent. Most teams would have their season sunk if the starter QB went down.