4 of the Jets’ most overlooked offseason acquisitions

7 minutes ago, A.J. said:

I agree. I saw him on Good Morning Football and seemed like a solid guy. If he can return to form and pave way for Bell the Jets offense will be on the uptick. Next year’s draft is looking to be loaded at WR as well. I don’t personally have a lot of faith in Crowder.

The problem with the OL this year is depth. That is where the Tom Compton most underrated singing will come into play. He will play this year due to injury and or poor play.

• Having Beachum at LT, playing on the last year of his contract with no back up plan what so ever for the year is dangerous at his age. 
  • Brandon Shell at his best is a below average start/quality back up. He also had a major knee injury at the end of last year.
  • Brian Winters is homegrown talent with not nearly enough to be a legit guard combo to build around
  • Jonothan Harrison is a back up from indy who we really have no idea can start or not consistently 

I think asking KO to come in and return back to pro bowl form is a hard ask. Which makes me worry a little with Bell. We will see if Gase's play calling and Darnold's abilities in the passing game can take some guys out of the box for Bell. 

As for Crowder the player, what is there not to like other than injury prone? The only knock on bringing him in was at the price Mac did it in. 

I do believe though an importance for a slot guy in Gase system is a necessity. Probably the reason we now have Q and Crowder both signed for at least the next 3 years.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Um, of the last 4 Super Bowl champs, 3 did.  Wentz missed 3 games and the post-seasons, Brady missed 4 games to start 2016 and Peyton missed 7 the year before. 

Those pesky facts.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Exactly. Not every team boasts that sort of talent. Most teams would have their season sunk if the starter QB went down.

Define sunk.

I can name three playoff teams, off the top of my head, that lost their QB for multiple games last year - Eagles, Ravens, Bears.  The year before?  Eagles, and Vikings.  I'm not sure of the circumstances, but I know from looking up some other stuff earlier in the week that Landry Jones, Nathan Peterman and Sean Mannion started games.  So did Mahomes, but that was purely to test him out and rest Smith - maybe the same with Roethlisberger and Goff? 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Define sunk.

I can name three playoff teams, off the top of my head, that lost their QB for multiple games last year - Eagles, Ravens, Bears.  The year before?  Eagles, and Vikings.  I'm not sure of the circumstances, but I know from looking up some other stuff earlier in the week that Landry Jones, Nathan Peterman and Sean Mannion started games.  So did Mahomes, but that was purely to test him out and rest Smith - maybe the same with Roethlisberger and Goff? 

the original argument was that if Sammy goes down that Trevor isn’t a viable solution. The rub being that the teams you’re mentioning were post-season caliber, and the Jets have yet to prove they are. (Not to be the pessimist here)

Which is what I meant by context. Those teams were still good despite losing their QB. I wouldn’t say the Jets are to that milestone yet. Jackson was drafted to supplant Flacco in the first place so I don’t think they’re a great example - they also had a great defense. The Bears survived on defense like they did all year long.

On the other hand you can look at teams in recent-ish years that tanked hard without their QB. The Pats when Brady got his knee blown out. The Packers when Aaron missed the second half the season. The Cowboys the year before Romo retired. The Colts with Luck and his shoulder. You could even say the Redskins last season once Smith got Theisman’d and they had to turn to the Sanchise and McCoy for the answer.

Stats are just numbers without context. JMO

4 minutes ago, A.J. said:

the original argument was that if Sammy goes down that Trevor isn’t a viable solution. The rub being that the teams you’re mentioning were post-season caliber, and the Jets have yet to prove they are. (Not to be the pessimist here)

Which is what I meant by context. Those teams were still good despite losing their QB. I wouldn’t say the Jets are to that milestone yet. Jackson was drafted to supplant Flacco in the first place so I don’t think they’re a great example - they also had a great defense. The Bears survived on defense like they did all year long.

On the other hand you can look at teams in recent-ish years that tanked hard without their QB. The Pats when Brady got his knee blown out. The Packers when Aaron missed the second half the season. The Cowboys the year before Romo retired. The Colts with Luck and his shoulder. You could even say the Redskins last season once Smith got Theisman’d and they had to turn to the Sanchise and McCoy for the answer.

Stats are just numbers without context. JMO

I get that it is JYO, but...

When Brady got his knee blown out, the Pats turned to  4th year player who was a 7th round pick that had less than 50 attempts in his career.  They finished 11-5, and only missed the playoffs because they lost 2 tiebreakers.  There were only 5 teams with better records in the entire league and only one team was more than 1 game better.  Not exactly "tanking hard" IMO. 

The Bears were coming off a 5-11 season.  They weren't exactly surviving on defense in 2017.  The Cowboys?  When Romo retired?  They had Dak Prescott and went 13-3.  The year before they went 3-1 under Romo, 1-6 with Sanchez and didn't win a game with Weeden or Kellen Moore.  They are actually a perfect example of why the Case Keenum and Trevor Siemien's of the world are valuable. 

Every team is different and it is certainly preferable not to lose your starter, but the idea that nobody survives one missing a couple of games is simply false.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that it is JYO, but...

When Brady got his knee blown out, the Pats turned to  4th year player who was a 7th round pick that had less than 50 attempts in his career.  They finished 11-5, and only missed the playoffs because they lost 2 tiebreakers.  There were only 5 teams with better records in the entire league and only one team was more than 1 game better.  Not exactly "tanking hard" IMO. 

The Bears were coming off a 5-11 season.  They weren't exactly surviving on defense in 2017.  The Cowboys?  When Romo retired?  They had Dak Prescott and went 13-3.  The year before they went 3-1 under Romo, 1-6 with Sanchez and didn't win a game with Weeden or Kellen Moore.  They are actually a perfect example of why the Case Keenum and Trevor Siemien's of the world are valuable. 

Every team is different and it is certainly preferable not to lose your starter, but the idea that nobody survives one missing a couple of games is simply false.

I stand corrected then. I had in my head that the Pats finished really badly that year, but I guess missing the playoffs and taking 2nd in the division is a down year for them lol

Anyway we’re getting off track and talking past each other maybe. I agree that there is value in having a good backup. Having a good team as a whole helps further. But I don’t think your example of SB champs applies to the Jets simply because I don’t think the team is good enough yet to overcome having to play with a backup.

53 minutes ago, A.J. said:

I stand corrected then. I had in my head that the Pats finished really badly that year, but I guess missing the playoffs and taking 2nd in the division is a down year for them lol

Anyway we’re getting off track and talking past each other maybe. I agree that there is value in having a good backup. Having a good team as a whole helps further. But I don’t think your example of SB champs applies to the Jets simply because I don’t think the team is good enough yet to overcome having to play with a backup.

Probably true, but the 2018 Bears may (hopefully) be a pretty good comp.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

I had the same reaction.

Granted, if Sam misses a game of two it's good to have a solid backup but if he misses real time we're likely screwed anyway.

Agreed. I guess when they identified him, my assumption was that Sam was down for a length of time. I'm not expecting much from a W-L perspective. I dont expect them to make the playoffs, if they win 8-9 Games I'd probably be pretty happy. This season for me is almost all about giving me some hope beyond this season lol. Sam take the next step, Gase look competent, Douglas look competent, etc. IMO, If Sam went down, losing a year of his development would hurt much worse than what it would do to our record

On 7/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, Steveg said:

The Jets dominated the headlines in the opening days of free agency by signing running back Le'Veon Bell and linebacker C.J. Mosley. As a result, some of New York's other free agent acquisitions flew under the radar.

Throughout free agency, the Jets added several players who are primed to serve as key contributors in 2019. They might not be the biggest names, but New York did well to make some shrewd moves while other teams engaged in bidding wars for the biggest names on the market.

Here's a look at four of Gang Green's most overlooked offseason additions.

Trevor Siemian

a football player holding a baseball bat: File photo

New York's quarterback situation revolves around Sam Darnold, but it doesn't hurt to have a veteran signal caller serving as his backup.

Siemian isn't as experienced as previous backup Josh McCown, but he has proven he can get the job done throughout his career with the Denver Broncos and Minnesota Vikings. In the event of an injury to Darnold, the Jets would be in good hands under center.

Not only is Siemian a reliable plug-and-play option at quarterback, but he is also someone who has been around the block enough to serve as Darnold's mentor in 2019. Darnold still has plenty to learn and with Siemian in the mix, things will be a lot easier for him in that regard.

Jamison Crowder

a person jumping into the air to catch a frisbee: File photo

Jamison Crowder is far from an unknown commodity. During his tenure with the Washington Redskins, Crowder established himself as one of the most reliable slot receivers in football. However, with much of the focus surrounding the Le'Veon Bell signing, Crowder's name often falls by the wayside when discussing the weapons New York has on offense.

Crowder isn't a true No. 1 wideout, but he is a target Sam Darnold can rely on. When all else fails, Crowder has a knack for finding a soft spot in the defense thanks to his top-notch underneath route running skills.

He might not be a star, but Crowder is exactly what the Jets have been missing in the slot.

Tom Compton

a group of baseball players on a field: File photo© File Photo File photo

Since being taken by the Washington Redskins in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL draft, Tom Compton has been nothing but solid on the offensive line.

Compton comes to New York with positional versatility, which makes him even more valuable to the Jets. The South Dakota product has started at tackle and guard before, so he will be able to fill in at almost any position on the line if need be.

New York has lacked solid offensive line depth in recent years. In Compton, the Jets get a former starter who has a track record of consistent production. It doesn't get much better than that when it comes to signing backup offensive linemen.

Brian Poole

a group of baseball players playing a football game: File photo© File Photo File photo

Poole is often forgotten simply because he joined New York well before free agency started. Once the regular season kicks off, Jets fans will be reminded of how good Poole is in the slot.

The 26-year-old is a hard-hitting nickel corner who is solid in both run support and pass coverage. Poole is also playing the best football of his career right now, as he set career highs in sacks and interceptions a year ago.

Poole is a playmaker who has the ability to help solidify the Jets secondary this upcoming season. If he can replicate what he did with the Atlanta Falcons in 2018, Poole is in for a big first season with Gang Green.

Tyler Calvaruso

Crowder is very good. You can write off last year since both his QBs broke their legs and he was hurt himself. But he is a very fast slot receiver

I want to see these guys perform well not only because it will help us win, but it will also mean that somebody will mention eventually that we "have to give Macc some credit for those moves."  And that will lead to a couple of pages worth of petty bickering... and I mean, who doesn't look forward to that?

• Haha 1

On July 3, 2019 at 11:52 AM, New York Mick said:

Crowder?? He’s been talked about as a possible 100 catch receiver by posters. 

At 5' 9 177 pounds I seriously doubt he's going to be 100 catch receiver.( never hold up).      He probably doesn't even get 85 passes thrown his way.

I see him getting about 650-700 reception yards. That might be a little high because L Bell going to take a lot of those receptions.

5 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

At 5' 9 177 pounds I seriously doubt he's going to be 100 catch receiver.( never hold up).      He probably doesn't even get 85 passes thrown his way.

I see him getting about 650-700 reception yards. That might be a little high because L Bell going to take a lot of those receptions.

In the Wesco/Bell thread I put Crowder at 50/75 catches for the season. Barring injury it’s realistic. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, MichaelScott said:

Starting that list with Siemian was a bad move. If Sam goes down this season is ruined. In a few ways. Because so much of this season is about our hopes for what Sam is going to show us, with the W-L record almost being secondary... If Sam goes down, I just can't see my reaction being "at least we signed Trevor Siemian"

Think you missed the point.  He said the whole QB situation revolves around Darnold but it doesn't hurt to have a vet backup to help Darnold and in case he misses a little time.  Nothing more

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Like the 5' 9" Walker did 5 times in his career? 

Its more about talent and opportunity.  Both Crowder and Welker if used as a number one would produce.  If Enunwa or Anderson or both emerge and stay healthy he doesn't get 100.  But...

On 7/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, MichaelScott said:

Starting that list with Siemian was a bad move. If Sam goes down this season is ruined. In a few ways. Because so much of this season is about our hopes for what Sam is going to show us, with the W-L record almost being secondary... If Sam goes down, I just can't see my reaction being "at least we signed Trevor Siemian"

You say that now but suppose we are in the playoff hunt and Sam gets dinged and is out for a week or 2.   I'm an optimist so that is the scenario I'm envisioning :)   

• Upvote 2

On 7/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think anyone on JN is overlooking these 4.  Crowder was talked about a lot.  Compton is an important depth piece. 

Siemian is what he is:  A nice veteran backup who can keep a team competitive if Darnold has to miss a few games. 

I don't really see anything impressive about Poole.  A nickleback who hits hard is not all that valuable.  Can he cover?

Agree. They are role-players, who belong in the NFL, and nice to have... but overlooked? Let’s not be silly. Signings like these are necessary because we’ve drafted so poorly for a decade. Good teams have guys like this from the draft, not FA contracts.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Agree. They are role-players, who belong in the NFL, and nice to have... but overlooked? Let’s not be silly. Signings like these are necessary because we’ve drafted so poorly for a decade. Good teams have guys like this from the draft, not FA contracts.

Indeed. Getting excited because your football team spent the maximum dollar amount for a slot WR, ILB, and nickel corner seems to be missing the point

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Like the 5' 9" Walker did 5 times in his career? 

Its more about talent and opportunity.  Both Crowder and Welker if used as a number one would produce.  If Enunwa or Anderson or both emerge and stay healthy he doesn't get 100.  But...

You can't take every 5'9 Wr and say they will be Welker.   What is the most balls Jamison Crowder has caught in a season, and what was the most yard he every had in a season.    my guess is somewhere 60 receptions for 800 yards .      Jets are going to be a run heavy team that uses the run to set up the pass.    

Now Jets were this explosive passing offense I might buy what you are selling.  Jamison Crowder won't even get 85 balls thrown his was in 2019. jmo

Btw didn't you learn anything from M Sanchez.   Just because Eli developed in year three a lot of Jet fans assume the same would happen for Sanchez.  Obviously it never happened.

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

You say that now but suppose we are in the playoff hunt and Sam gets dinged and is out for a week or 2.   I'm an optimist so that is the scenario I'm envisioning :)   

Yep. 

"A team is only as good as its backup QB."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

You can't take every 5'9 Wr and say they will be Welker.   What is the most balls Jamison Crowder has caught in a season, and what was the most yard he every had in a season.    my guess is somewhere 60 receptions for 800 yards .      Jets are going to be a run heavy team that uses the run to set up the pass.    

Now Jets were this explosive passing offense I might buy what you are selling.  Jamison Crowder won't even get 85 balls thrown his was in 2019. jmo

Btw didn't you learn anything from M Sanchez.   Just because Eli developed in year three a lot of Jet fans assume the same would happen for Sanchez.  Obviously it never happened.

Who said anyone can produce because someone his size did.  That would be ridiculous.  Bore does price that your post saying he can't at the same size.  You're the one who brought up size, came to a conclusion because of it.  More than ridiculous.

Now what does Sanchez have to do with anything I said? 
BTW, have you learned after your Russell pimping as a QB?  Palmer?  Pryor?  Carr? Cook?  He was a starter on most teams according to you.

Lol

You have to look at what a team does in totality in the offseason to project. These are 4 UNDERRATED SIGNING, then you add Bell, KO, Mosely. 

The most important factor is the offensive Head Coach to mentor Darnold & Gregg Williams taking over for Kacey Rogers who should be coaching High School football.

Mosely is a HUGE UPGRADE over Lee who frankly had no f*cking clue what he was doing out there & running around like a chicken with his head cut off. 

KO is a HUGE UPGRADE Carpenter & Long. 

Bell is a HUGE UPGRADE over McGuire & Cannon. Not only running the ball but coming out of backfield. We added a top 3 RB in this league, in fact with the Gurley injury I'd put Bell as the 2nd best RB in the league after Barkley & put Zeke 3rd (he's run behind 1 of the best lines in football). 

What will Sam Darnolds development be? I take our group on offense & imagine if the GOAT Tom Brady had this group. How do you think Brady would do with Anderson, Quincy, Crowder, Herndon, Wesco, Bell & Montgomery? 

I may be overly optimistic, but I think our Jets will be vying for a playoff berth, especially if we get out to a hot start by taking our 1st two home games, Buffalo & a National shocker taking out the over hyped Browns on MNF. NY Jets make a statement in their spectacular new Stealth black uniforms & Gotham green helmets with our new logo. Jet fans will be puffing their chests out on 9/17/19 at the water cooler.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:19 AM, #27TheDominator said:

3 out of 4.  Terrible odds.

no 3 out 128.  there are 32 teams and 4 season's worth.  so the number of teams that became successful with backups is 3 out of 128.  granted the fall off from wentz to foles wasn't as bad as tannehill to cutler or osweiler but the simple fact is teams don't win as well with the back up guys in.  the only generalization you can make is good teams can overcome the loss of their qb.

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

no 3 out 128.  there are 32 teams and 4 season's worth.  so the number of teams that became successful with backups is 3 out of 128.  granted the fall off from wentz to foles wasn't as bad as tannehill to cutler or osweiler but the simple fact is teams don't win as well with the back up guys in.  the only generalization you can make is good teams can overcome the loss of their qb.

Youre ******* kidding, right? 3 won the superbowl.  i named like another 8 out of the last 2 years that made the playoffs.  

As for your "generalization", what is your point? Youre either a good team or your not.  Having a solid spot starter is never a bad thing.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Youre ******* kidding, right? 3 won the superbowl.  i named like another 8 out of the last 2 years that made the playoffs.  

As for your "generalization", what is your point? Youre either a good team or your not.  Having a solid spot starter is never a bad thing.

whatever.  have a happy 4th of july.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, Jetster said:

You have to look at what a team does in totality in the offseason to project. These are 4 UNDERRATED SIGNING, then you add Bell, KO, Mosely. 

The most important factor is the offensive Head Coach to mentor Darnold & Gregg Williams taking over for Kacey Rogers who should be coaching High School football.

Mosely is a HUGE UPGRADE over Lee who frankly had no f*cking clue what he was doing out there & running around like a chicken with his head cut off. 

KO is a HUGE UPGRADE Carpenter & Long. 

Bell is a HUGE UPGRADE over McGuire & Cannon. Not only running the ball but coming out of backfield. We added a top 3 RB in this league, in fact with the Gurley injury I'd put Bell as the 2nd best RB in the league after Barkley & put Zeke 3rd (he's run behind 1 of the best lines in football). 

What will Sam Darnolds development be? I take our group on offense & imagine if the GOAT Tom Brady had this group. How do you think Brady would do with Anderson, Quincy, Crowder, Herndon, Wesco, Bell & Montgomery? 

I may be overly optimistic, but I think our Jets will be vying for a playoff berth, especially if we get out to a hot start by taking our 1st two home games, Buffalo & a National shocker taking out the over hyped Browns on MNF. NY Jets make a statement in their spectacular new Stealth black uniforms & Gotham green helmets with our new logo. Jet fans will be puffing their chests out on 9/17/19 at the water cooler.

I agree with all of the upgrades. Avery Williamson has a very quit efficient year last year as far as tackling and run stopping. Pairing him with Mosley is going to be a huge upgrade. 

Personally, I don’t see the need to always take your roster and compare it to “what would Brady do”. He is the GOAT for a reason. Other people can’t do what he can do, some people are just the best, I think looking at our offensive roster and saying, “well Brady can sling it to these guys” is a little cheap. 

sh*t Brady can make you and I look good out there before we drop the ball and get killed by someone 3 times our size. 

Sam Darnold’s development will have to consist of quick timing throws and a heavy run game for this offense to be good, the offensive line is just not built to sit back in the gun and sling it, “like Brady does” ? lol