1999, 2009, 2010-Would Jets have won those Super Bowls?

1999 vs Atlanta-Yes, but it’s hard to kill them for losing to a loaded Denver team 

2009 vs New Orleans: No chance, NO killed them earlier in the year. Rex took his foot off the gas too early vs Indy, but Indy was a lot better. 

2010 vs Green Bay: GB probably wins, but the Jets might have won with the right breaks. Held Rodgers in check in the regular season game despite losing. This may of been the Jets best shot since the Mud Bowl to win a championship as both Pitt and GB were certainly beatable. 

• Haha 1

1999 yes though I don't think it would have been as easy as people think.  Everyone remembers we crushed them at home in the regular season but they had 60 year old Steve DeBerg at QB.

2009 and 2010 would have been coin flip games.

NO didn't kill us, that was a road game and they took advantage of the rookie QB.  We were still in that game in the 4th.

The GB was very windy, that held both Os in check.  That SB would have been high scoring.

We also would have won in 2008 if we had a QB that wanted to play for us.

• Upvote 1

Ive though about this many times. It gets me sick. Just getting there would of made me happy - but we would of won at least one of the 3 and if we beat Miami in the Mud bowl we had the team to win it that year. I loved that team!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

1999 yes though I don't think it would have been as easy as people think.  Everyone remembers we crushed them at home in the regular season but they had 60 year old Steve DeBerg at QB.

NO didn't kill us, that was a road game and they took advantage of the rookie QB.  We were still in that game in the 4th.

The GB was very windy, that held both Os in check.  That SB would have been high scoring.

2008 was the most underachieving team In Jets history. Everything was lined up for them, and I often wonder what would of happened if they kept Pennington. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

2008 was the most underachieving team In Jets history. Everything was lined up for them, and I often wonder what would of happened if they kept Pennington. 

If Chad stays and plays 16 games like he did in Miami we win the division and have a great SB chance

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Gunnails said:

2009, Pennington would of got us there.

The QB wasn't the problem though.  In that title game shonn Greene going down killed our O and the D was torn apart after we went up 17-6.  They could have scored 40+ if they kept attacking.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Imo, the 1998 team had the best chance. If they had beaten Denver I think they would have hammered the Falcons. As much as I like Rex and appreciate what he did here, I don't think we could have won either AN 2009 or 2010. We had a rookie QB and that rookie QB was GARBAGE.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

1999 vs Atlanta-Yes, but it’s hard to kill them for losing to a loaded Denver team 

2009 vs New Orleans: No chance, NO killed them earlier in the year. Rex took his foot off the gas too early vs Indy, but Indy was a lot better. 

2010 vs Green Bay: GB probably wins, but the Jets might have won with the right breaks. Held Rodgers in check in the regular season game despite losing. This may of been the Jets best shot since the Mud Bowl to win a championship as both Pitt and GB were certainly beatable. 

Yes, No, Maybe.

The Jets have been in-season Super Bowl favorites three times during my life: In 98, 99, and midway through the 2008 Mangini-Favre season after they beat Tennessee. IMO, all three teams would have won Super Bowls is not for some ill-timed injuries and that one time Curtis Martin opted not to show up in Denver because he didn't like football (by his own admission).

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets have been in-season Super Bowl favorites three times during my life: In 98, 99, and midway through the 2008 Mangini-Favre season after they beat Tennessee. IMO, all three teams would have won Super Bowls is not for some ill-timed injuries and that one time Curtis Martin opted not to show up in Denver because he didn't like football (by his own admission).

Could have won in 08 if we have a QB that wanted to be here and didn't tank it once the weather turned.

Does the 1st qtr of 1999 count as "in season"?  After we lost Vinny that dream was over.

We were also considered a favorite heading into 1983 as well.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, nyjunc said:

Could have won in 08 if we have a QB that wanted to be here and didn't tank it once the weather turned.

Yes, the former Green Bay (Wisconsin) Packer great simply couldn't handle the relatively harsh New Jersey winter. YOU AHISTORICAL HACK

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hackenberg said:

Butt-fumble =Rex Grossman. Not a chance in hell.

Testaverde= Chris Miller....maybe.

We won 4 road games with Sanchez over teams led by Brady, Peyton and rivers.  We definitely could have won either of those 2 SBs as long as the other units did their jobs

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yes, the former Green Bay (Wisconsin) Packer great simply couldn't handle the relatively harsh New Jersey winter. YOU AHISTORICAL HACK

In his old age he could not, do you not remember the 2007 NFC championship game when he threw away their season?  Once it got cold he was terrible for us(not that he was good when it was warm though).  He never wanted to be here, he used us to get to Minnesota.

All of em. Coulda woulda shoulda. Won em all!! I reaaally thought we were going when we were up against Indy. The D didn’t get torched in 2 Nd half. Manning had dead point accuracy with all his throws. As I remember coverage was very good. The passes were exactly where they needed to be. We will get one in the next 3 years!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We won 4 road games with Sanchez over teams led by Brady, Peyton and rivers.  We definitely could have won either of those 2 SBs as long as the other units did their jobs

You dont' understand . It's entertainment. Not real. The road  games were to set people up down the road.  Sanchez, Miller,Testaverde, Grossman aren't stars. Game managing  bit players equals a loss in the big games. 

Unless  you have QB or coach that's constantly getting juice and worship in the press  etc. It means a SB loss or a fall short  of it. 

25 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

You dont' understand . It's entertainment. Not real. The road  games were to set people up down the road.  Sanchez, Miller,Testaverde, Grossman aren't stars. Game managing  bit players equals a loss in the big games. 

Unless  you have QB or coach that's constantly getting juice and worship in the press  etc. It means a SB loss or a fall short  of it. 

Testaverde was one of the best QBs in the league in 1998-That was a very good team/offense that unfortunately ran into the best team of the decade. 

Sanchez wasn’t a good player, but give credit where credit is due-He played well in every playoff game. I’d agree in 2009 we needed a guy who can match Peyton, but 2010 was 100 percent on a defense that allowed Rashard Mendenhall run all over them.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I don't get how 2010 may have been the best chance when you have them beating Atlanta when they already had the game won against Denver before all the reliable studs sh*t the bed.

They certainly had a chance against NO.  NO beat them 24-10, but Sanchez was unbelievably terrible in that game, throwing 3 picks - one an early pick 6 to Sharper and fumbling in the end zone for another Saints TD.  The Jets TD came after they stripped Reggie Bush at like the 30.  Rex traditionally does fairly well against the "5'9" QB" IIRC.  Of course the 2009 D was insane and I think they still had Jenkins at that point, though I think Pace was still serving his suspension so Gholston was starting. 

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

1999 I feel very confident we would've won 

2009: We would've had maybe a small chance to win

2010: We would've had maybe a small chance to win

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

1999 I feel very confident we would've won 

First of all, isn't it 1998?  I'm sure the game was played in early 1999, but 1999 was the season where Testicles blew out his Achilles.  Everybody is confident of 1998 because they don't respect Atlanta.  OTOH, I felt very confident they were going to win up 10-0 in the 3rd quarter with those defensive geniuses for coaches, and Mr. HOF to run the ball.  Instead they got steamrolled.  **** that team.  Overrated carpetbaggers with no ******* heart.  As soon as they faced some adversity the next season they tucked their tails between their legs, folded up their tents and ran away.

6 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Testaverde was one of the best QBs in the league in 1998-That was a very good team/offense that unfortunately ran into the best team of the decade. 

Sanchez wasn’t a good player, but give credit where credit is due-He played well in every playoff game. I’d agree in 2009 we needed a guy who can match Peyton, but 2010 was 100 percent on a defense that allowed Rashard Mendenhall run all over them.

98 was a good offense but it wasn't the type of offense equipped to go into a hostile environment in Denver with a bunker-like mentality and play smashmouth, keep it close to the vest football.  The turnovers killed the Jets because they couldn't establish the run.  The only shot the Jets had that day was a 17-14 grinder, but they were a finesse offense that liked to go Shotgun, 4 wide.  That just wasn't working in Denver, especially with Romanowski on steroids dominating the middle of the field.  Spread football in that environment meant turnovers.  There were also a couple of bad luck fumbles, even though the Jets got the punk block for an easy TD too.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

were they really an in-season favorite in 99?  Does 1 quarter count?

12 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

You know you don't need a star QB to reach or win SBs, right?  Since 2000 all of these QBs have reached or won the SB.

Trent Dilfer won

Kerry Collins

Brad Johnson won

Jake Delhomme

Rex Grossman

Eli Manning won TWICE 

Joe Flacco(though he did play like a great QB in postseason and led them to the SB win) won

Colin Kaepernick

Nick Foles won

5 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

98 was a good offense but it wasn't the type of offense equipped to go into a hostile environment in Denver with a bunker-like mentality and play smashmouth, keep it close to the vest football.  The turnovers killed the Jets because they couldn't establish the run.  The only shot the Jets had that day was a 17-14 grinder, but they were a finesse offense that liked to go Shotgun, 4 wide.  That just wasn't working in Denver, especially with Romanowski on steroids dominating the middle of the field.  Spread football in that environment meant turnovers.  There were also a couple of bad luck fumbles, even though the Jets got the punk block for an easy TD too.

We had really good OLs from about 98-04 but they were finesse OLs and we got dominated up front at Denver 1998 and at Oakland 2002.

Vinny was great that day though the scoreboard won't show it.  That wind was brutal but he kept making plays only to each teammates drop or fumble the ball.

13 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

We only lost 9-0 against GB in the regular season. Neither team scored a TD. Those were 3 field goals that won that game for them. We would of been coming off one of the most improbable and amazing runs ever beating P. Manning, Tom Brady and Big Ben all on the road...we would of won that game. 

Mark my words.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

First of all, isn't it 1998?  I'm sure the game was played in early 1999, but 1999 was the season where Testicles blew out his Achilles.  Everybody is confident of 1998 because they don't respect Atlanta.  OTOH, I felt very confident they were going to win up 10-0 in the 3rd quarter with those defensive geniuses for coaches, and Mr. HOF to run the ball.  Instead they got steamrolled.  **** that team.  Overrated carpetbaggers with no ******* heart.  As soon as they faced some adversity the next season they tucked their tails between their legs, folded up their tents and ran away.

You're right that it was 1998 but I wrote 1999 because that's what the OP wrote. 

Why am I so confident that we would've beaten the Falcons in that Superbowl?  Probably a lot of the reason is that we dominated them in regular season game that year.  Another thing is that our coaching staff was amazing.  A 3rd thing is that I think the Jets did a great job that year of winning the "winnable games".

I hear you on the "I felt very confident they were going to win up 10-0 in the 3rd quarter" (referring to the Denver AFC CG, of course).  However, I recently re-watched that game for the first time since it happened and I have to say that Denver's defense was absolutely dominant that day.  We turned the ball over like 6 times but I still think the story was their defense.  I really wish Alex Van Dyke didn't fumble on a catch over the middle in the 4th quarter (when we were trying to come back) because I think we still had a shot had we scored there.  But that post-season was kind of a freakshow (including that crazy Jax game the week before).

Hopefully this current incantation of the franchise can get it done.  At least there's reason to hope for long term success due to finally having a young FQB (or at least a potential one) plus I'm optimistic about our GM.

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you look through BBs history it is littered with big game chokes. Sometimes they were saved by their Os and other times they weren't.

SB XXV: the O held the ball for over 40 minutes yet the D allowed 17 points and a game winning FG attempt on the final play.

1994 div Rd at Pitt: allowed 24 in the first half in blowout loss.

1997 week 17 at Detroit: win and in game, only allowed 13 points but we had 10-0 lead then they let Barry Sanders run wild (very reminiscent of the 98 title game with TD)

1998 div Rd vs Jax: in a game that should have been a huge blowout we had to sweat it out until late.  Up 17-0 his D allows a hail Mary TD on final play of 1st half.  O stretched it back to 24-7 on opening possession of third but eventually it was a TD game late.

1998 AFC championship game at Denver: blows 10 pt second half lead.

SB XXXVI vs SL: became first D ever to blow a double digit 4th qtr lead in a SB when they blew 14 pt lead before Brady led GW drive in final minute.

SB XXXVIII vs Carolina: became 2nd D ever to blow double digit 4th qtr lead in SB before Brady led GW drive in final minute.  Allowed 19 4th qtr points.

2006 AFC championship game at Indy: while Brady led O to 27 pts with no run game and Jabar Gaffney and reche Caldwell as his main weapons the D blew a 21-3 lead to a legendary postseason choker. Even after blowing that lead the NE O got it back late only to watch the D blow it for good.

SB XLII vs NYG: moments after Brady led 80 yd TD drive with just over 2 minutes left the D allows a mediocre QB to lead GW TD drive.

2009 WC vs Baltimore: allows 33 points to Flacco and Baltimore.

2010 div Rd vs NYJ: allows Mark Sanchez led O to score 28 in loss.

SB XLVI vs NYG: again the NE O leaves the field late with a lead and again the D blows it.

2012 AFC championship game vs Baltimore: allows 28 in loss.

SB XLIX vs Seattle: allowed 24 points, after Brady led great 4th qtr comeback with little time left the D allowed Seattle to get all the way down to the 1 before making a great play to end it.  Should never have been close.

SB LII vs Philly: O scores 33 points which is a SB record for a losing team, D allows 41 to a nick Foles led offense.

LT is why BB is considered a defensive genius just like Brady is why he's considered a head coaching genius.

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

In a Brady less year Mangini didn't develop his 3 year QB to take over when Farve got hurt. The QB the Jets let go took the 1-15 Fins to win the east..

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This post put you directly on the "punch in the face list," Dom. I'm sorry. You leave me no choice.