Star Gase-ing

There are many differing opinions and questions of Adam Gase.  Is he a QB whisperer?  Can he handle the NY market?  Can he co-exist with his 'coach of the defense', Greg Williams?  All legitimate questions.  However, there should be no doubt he is the best offensive mind this team has had in a long, long time.  How well will the offense be this year?

Rushing - With Le'Veon in the mix this group should be MUCH better than last year.  Will Bell have more rushing or receiving yards/plays?  I think a combined 1.600 yards is doable.  I am much higher on McGuire than many on this site and I think he can find his groove in a limited role.  600 combined yards sounds about right.  Montgomery should spell Bell and chip in about the same number of yards as Eli.  If Powell/Cannon combine (or singularly) contribute another 400, this will be a well rounded group.

Receiving - With the aforementioned improved rushing game, this group is improved by default.  I'm expecting a breakout year for Robby Anderson, perhaps not in total yards as much as number of receptions.  I think Gase will utilize him much more cleverly than he has been used before and make him a short yardage threat in order to open up the long ball.  Quincy, Crowder and Herndon should all serve as release valves and be spread around the field giving Darnold many options.  This is a very solid group.  If any of the youngsters can contribute this group could be quite dangerous and cause match-up problems for many opposing teams.

QB - Well it's all about Sam.  He now has weapons at his disposal.  Ideally, Gase can coach him up to a 65% completion % and more than twice as number of TD than interceptions.  I'm really hoping Gase's play calling will help cover up the less than ideal OL situation.  

In order for Gase to be a good coach, I expect or at least hope, this is where the Jets will end up offensively.  

• Upvote 3

Gase will have no issues w/ williams because he doesnt go near the defensive side of the ball.  He and williams will be great as gase will let him run the entire show.

Gase being some kind of offensive genius is a narrative that has yet to be proven true.  He was great in denver, average in chicago and awful in miami.

No one has any clue what this guy will bring to the table offensively.  The good thing is we will know in 2 months.

• Upvote 4

Gase is the first offense minded Jets HC in ~30 years, so good reason to be excited, add Bell to the mix and the 2019 Jets should score some points and be fun to watch 

Gase will be judged on Sam's development, if Sam makes the next step and becomes a true franchise QB who can lead the Jets into the playoffs, year after year, Gase will be a hero, if not, at least the Jets seem to have a competent front office to give them a chance to fix it before just blowing it up again

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

There are many differing opinions and questions of Adam Gase.  Is he a QB whisperer?  Can he handle the NY market?  Can he co-exist with his 'coach of the defense', Greg Williams?  All legitimate questions.  However, there should be no doubt he is the best offensive mind this team has had in a long, long time.  How well will the offense be this year?

Rushing - With Le'Veon in the mix this group should be MUCH better than last year.  Will Bell have more rushing or receiving yards/plays?  I think a combined 1.600 yards is doable.  I am much higher on McGuire than many on this site and I think he can find his groove in a limited role.  600 combined yards sounds about right.  Montgomery should spell Bell and chip in about the same number of yards as Eli.  If Powell/Cannon combine (or singularly) contribute another 400, this will be a well rounded group.

Receiving - With the aforementioned improved rushing game, this group is improved by default.  I'm expecting a breakout year for Robby Anderson, perhaps not in total yards as much as number of receptions.  I think Gase will utilize him much more cleverly than he has been used before and make him a short yardage threat in order to open up the long ball.  Quincy, Crowder and Herndon should all serve as release valves and be spread around the field giving Darnold many options.  This is a very solid group.  If any of the youngsters can contribute this group could be quite dangerous and cause match-up problems for many opposing teams.

QB - Well it's all about Sam.  He now has weapons at his disposal.  Ideally, Gase can coach him up to a 65% completion % and more than twice as number of TD than interceptions.  I'm really hoping Gase's play calling will help cover up the less than ideal OL situation.  

In order for Gase to be a good coach, I expect or at least hope, this is where the Jets will end up offensively.  

This is McGuires 3rd season. If he was gonna be any good I would think we would of known by now. He had his chances last season when Powell and Crowell were injured and he did very little. I realize run blocking wasn’t great but I think if my grandmother was in the way she could accidentally tackle him. I hope I’m wrong about him cause he’s had 2 runs in 2 seasons that I can remember. One the long TD run against Jacksonville I think and last years TD on 4th down against Buffalo. But I’m in his corner!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

This is McGuires 3rd season. If he was gonna be any good I would think we would of known by now. He had his chances last season when Powell and Crowell were injured and he did very little. I realize run blocking wasn’t great but I think if my grandmother was in the way she could accidentally tackle him. I hope I’m wrong about him cause he’s had 2 runs in 2 seasons that I can remember. One the long TD run against Jacksonville I think and last years TD on 4th down against Buffalo. But I’m in his corner!

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with this.  Liked the pick when it was made.  Thought he was going to be a good player, and last year was going to be his breakout year.

He really hasn't shown a lot with his opportunities.    Give him camp, if he doesn't light it up Powell will take his job

Tannehill's best season was with Joe Philbin, not Adam Gase.

Gase's only true success stories were the historic season out of Peyton Manning in Denver and one nice season with Jay Cutler in Chicago.  The rest of Gase's resume is a mixed bag of average to well below average.  A "QB Whisperer", he has not proven to be. 

Still, we needed an offense-minded HC.  And any play caller is really only as good as the QB he's matched up with.  If Darnold is the real deal, all we'll need Gase to do is keep any big personalities on the team in check, hold people accountable, and be a professional.   The rest will take care of itself for the most part.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gase's only true success stories were the historic season out of Peyton Manning in Denver and one nice season with Jay Cutler in Chicago.  The rest of Gase's resume is a mixed bag of average to well below average.  A "QB Whisperer", he has not proven to be. 

Still, we needed an offense-minded HC.  And any play caller is really only as good as the QB he's matched up with.  If Darnold is the real deal, all we'll need Gase to do is keep any big personalities on the team in check, hold people accountable, and be a professional.   The rest will take care of itself for the most part.

His best numbers season was with Philbin, his best actual season where he made plays to help his team win was year 1 under Gase.  Tannehill was a mediocre QB at best and Gase was able to get to the playoffs with a combo of him and Matt Moore.  That's incredible.

Gase never had a good QB in Miami and his teams overachieved each season.  Now he has one (we hope), now let's see what he can do with one.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  Tannehill stunk before and during the gase era.  Hopefully its a case of u cant make chicken soup out of .........

• Upvote 1

Gase seems like a good fit for Darnold. Sam is used to having piss poor OL at USC and a subpar one with the Jets and he doesn't get rattled and rolls with it.  Hopefully this keeps up and he doesn't start getting happy feet or looking at the rush.  But I expect Douglas to go HAM on the OL next off season. 

Also, if Robby Anderson gets hurt I think it could be devastating with nobody respecting a deep threat from any of the other receivers.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct.  Tannehill stunk before and during the gase era.  Hopefully its a case of u cant make chicken soup out of .........

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article222632535.html

...with Gase as his coach: a 13-8 record, 67 percent completion percentage and a 97.6 passer rating.

For perspective, only three active quarterbacks have career passer ratings higher than that 97.6: Rodgers at 103.4, Wilson at 100.5 and Brees at 97.8.

Brady’s career passer rating (97.6) is identical to Tannehill’s passer rating when Gase is his coach.

5 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article222632535.html

...with Gase as his coach: a 13-8 record, 67 percent completion percentage and a 97.6 passer rating.

For perspective, only three active quarterbacks have career passer ratings higher than that 97.6: Rodgers at 103.4, Wilson at 100.5 and Brees at 97.8.

Brady’s career passer rating (97.6) is identical to Tannehill’s passer rating when Gase is his coach.

Half those games they were running for 200 plus yards w/ ajayi.  Had nothing to do w tannehill.

There is a reason tannehill is a backup qb in this league.  He stinks w/ or w/o gase.

26 minutes ago, David Harris said:

But I expect Douglas to go HAM on the OL next off season. 

Also, if Robby Anderson gets hurt I think it could be devastating with nobody respecting a deep threat from any of the other receivers.  

I fully expect the OL to be revamped next year. Douglas places great emphasis on the line. I honestly can’t understand how anyone can devalue the line, but it seems we have since Mangini.

We might have 3-4 new starters on the line next year.

If one of our WR’s down, our lack of depth is going to break our offense.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase will have no issues w/ williams because he doesnt go near the defensive side of the ball.  He and williams will be great as gase will let him run the entire show.

Gase being some kind of offensive genius is a narrative that has yet to be proven true.  He was great in denver, average in chicago and awful in miami.

No one has any clue what this guy will bring to the table offensively.  The good thing is we will know in 2 months.

With an established HOF QB. An 8 year veteran QB who changed plays at the line on a regular basis.

52 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Gase seems like a good fit for Darnold. Sam is used to having piss poor OL at USC and a subpar one with the Jets and he doesn't get rattled and rolls with it.  Hopefully this keeps up and he doesn't start getting happy feet or looking at the rush.  But I expect Douglas to go HAM on the OL next off season. 

Any injury to WR will be devastating because there is no one behind the starters. Also OL injuries will be bad as well for the same reason. Mac left us with a good group of starters but no depth to speak of.

Here's how every QB Adam Gase has ever worked with has ranked when Gase has been in the role of QB Coach, OC or HC, per Football Outsiders (Min. 99 passes):

2007 (Lions)

• Jon Kitna:  # 23

2010 (Broncos)

• Kyle Orton:  # 17

2011 (Broncos)

• Tim Tebow:  # 37

2012 (Broncos)

• Peyton Manning:  # 2

2013 (Broncos)

• Peyton Manning:  # 1

2014 (Broncos)

• Peyton Manning:  # 5

2015 (Bears)

• Jay Cutler:  # 9

2016 (Dolphins)

• Ryan Tannehill:  # 25

2017 (Dolphins)

• Jay Cutler:  # 26

2018 (Dolphins)

• Ryan Tannehill:  # 32

The final RB depth chart should be interesting. You can make a case for anyone besides Bell to stay/go. 

Oddly enough, I think the last spot is between Powell and McGuire, with Cannon being safe. They are both do everything backs who do it all well, nothing spectacular. Cannon has more athletic ability, he just needs more seasoning. Should be wild to see it play out.

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

This is a guy that put up the 24th, 25th and 31st ranked offenses in Miami.

This idea that he is some type of special offensive mind is just silly.  

He might end up being a winner here  but his past isn't great.

I am sorry to be a downer, but there's an awful lot of people around here believing and saying things about Gase that simply are not backed up by the facts.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Such a disparity between FO and passer rating numbers. He was like 6th in Passer rating in 2018

Because standard passer rating is misleading.  It rewards dink and dunk passers, which is what Tannehill has always been.   That works great against bad teams, but not against good defenses.   It's a big reason why a lot of people here at one time compared Chad Pennington to Joe Montana. 

QB's like Pennington, Alex Smith and Tannehill always have a limited ceiling because they are so risk averse they'll never lift a team up against strong (playoff) competition.  You have to be willing to take chances.  A 3 TD, 3 INT game is far better than a 1 TD,  0 INT game. 

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am sorry to be a downer, but there's an awful lot of people around here believing and saying things about Gase that simply are not backed up by the facts.

True.  But it's gonna happen.  I can feel it.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Here's how every QB Adam Gase has ever worked with has ranked when Gase has been in the role of QB Coach, OC or HC, per Football Outsiders (Min. 99 passes):

2007 (Lions)

• Jon Kitna:  # 23

2010 (Broncos)

• Kyle Orton:  # 17

2011 (Broncos)

• Tim Tebow:  # 37

2012 (Broncos)

• Peyton Manning:  # 2

2013 (Broncos)

• Peyton Manning:  # 1

2014 (Broncos)

• Peyton Manning:  # 5

2015 (Bears)

• Jay Cutler:  # 9

2016 (Dolphins)

• Ryan Tannehill:  # 25

2017 (Dolphins)

• Jay Cutler:  # 26

2018 (Dolphins)

• Ryan Tannehill:  # 32

Thanks for posting this!

So he was good with a top 5 QB in the history of the NFL but mostly bad with everyone else. 

Facts are facts.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He might end up being a winner here  but his past isn't great.

images.jpg.465dbcb423056dae9265d05539607807.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I disagree here. True to Mac's own tendencies, he said, " f*ck the OL. I've got other more important fish to fry. " So the OL will not be able to open holes for the RB's. It's that simple. Running the football, just like everything else in football takes a TEAM EFFORT. The Jets don't have a team. They are a laughingstock with a few nice pieces. They sorely lack decent blocking.

As I said in the original post there are varying opinions of Gase which run the gamut.  That said, I do appreciate the civility of everyone who has posted so far.  I think we'll know pretty quickly if he's the real deal.  I'm hopeful but several things need to break their way.  I do think the WR are better than many outsiders think they are.