What was the best offensive Jets team of all time?

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The numbers were skewed by 2 blowouts against NFC West teams.  They scored 49 on O vs Arizona and 40 on O vs SL.  The only other game where the O scored 30 or more in a game was the Tennessee game.

And we all know those pesky high scoring games, those blowouts should be ignored when looking at good offenses. 

High scoring games by a high scoring offense just confuse the issue.  LOL

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

1982 jets were primed for a run and had a stellar offense powered by McNeil. Of course, the players’ strike ruined everything because Jets.

Started off 2-0, second game was a MNF game at home, i think.  

I vote for the 85 team to be right there with any of the good offensive teams.  K O'Brien has a great year, McNeil had 1300+, Hector had new 600, Toon & Walker, Jo Jo Townsell, Kurt Sohn, Mickey Shula, they were a formidable offense that could beat you a lot of different ways

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, peebag said:

actually what ruined it was Shula removing the tarps on the Orange Bowl.

We were on such a roll going into the AFC Championship.

I hope Shula enjoys hell and multiple pokers up the ol' wazzu.

I met Shula once what ahole. It was during the a Jets bucs game where the flash light out-shined the star.  Wife was giving me updates and he was asking me and then passing out the score because of his source. It was me you arrogant ahole I was your source

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, your confidence was misplaced.  You must be young.  I can't imagine anybody that had seen much of Testaverde thinking his performance than year was anything but a mirage.  All the fumbling in that game was a bit of a shock though. 

Meh, I have been a die hard since the late 70's, what other offense was there. 86 was very good, but for that one year in 98 Vinny, Chrebet, Keshawn and Martin had a dynamic offense. Whether it was a mirage or not, for that one year they were great. We just have not had many good offenses in my time as a Jets fan.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Passing game yes the running game with 3.5 ypc 8 td's and 14 yds rushing in the AFCCG I think not..

The AFCCCG was a disaster, but as a whole, that offense was the one I was the most confident in, we just have not had a lot of good offenses in my time as a Jets fan going back to the late 70's.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And we all know those pesky high scoring games, those blowouts should be ignored when looking at good offenses. 

They pilled in blowouts, they also scored a bunch late when being blown out at SD.  That was not a great offense no matter how much you guys try to pretend it was.  We faced an incredibly weak schedule and still couldn't make the playoffs.  This was the same O that scored 13 against a terrible Oakland team in 5 quarters of play, scored 10 at home vs NE, 20 at Miami needing a hail Mary to reach that total, 19 at Buffalo.  These games were all before the iron Man tanked our season.

Outside of those 2 blowouts the O scored 30 pts one other time the rest of the season. NO was the highest scoring O that season, they scored 30 or more 8 times, 40 or more 2x, 50 or more once.  We scored 30 or more 3 times with 2 of them being 40 or more.  That was a great offense, ours was not

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Started off 2-0, second game was a MNF game at home, i think.  

I vote for the 85 team to be right there with any of the good offensive teams.  K O'Brien has a great year, McNeil had 1300+, Hector had new 600, Toon & Walker, Jo Jo Townsell, Kurt Sohn, Mickey Shula, they were a formidable offense that could beat you a lot of different ways

When taking out D/STs scores the 85 team averaged 23.6 PPG

Funny story. I met Shula at a luncheon in nyc when I won a contest on espn radio regarding jet trivia... he was truly an a$$hole laughing it up when asked questions about that game by don la Greco. Greg buttle was there as well. Joking about it. Made me sick. At the end of it we were able to get autographs from him. So I stood in line with my autographed Super Bowl III football and stuck it in his face. He looked me dead in the eye. And said get that sh1t out of my face. I laughed and walked out. It was great. I think I got to him. Made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

When taking out D/STs scores the 85 team averaged 23.6 PPG

Who cares, they were a good offense.  You want to take every team and take out the points for D & STs then compare all of them go for it.  Of course a total waste of time because the point is which were our good offensive teams.

Not where they were ranked in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares, they were a good offense.  Your want to take every tree am and take out there points for D & STs then compare all of them go for it.  Of course a total water of time because the point is which were our good offensive teams.

Not where they were ranked in the NFL.

Just posting facts, I loved the 85 O.  This was before O'Brien hurt his throwing shoulder, this was the peak of the O'Brien era.  Overall including D/STs pts they were ranked 7th which would be good for a 4 way tie for 12th place all time in franchise history.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

1982 jets were primed for a run and had a stellar offense powered by McNeil. Of course, the players’ strike ruined everything because Jets.

Best group of RBs in 82, McNeil, Augustyniak, Dierking, Barber. Hate to say it but that group was similar to what the Pats had last year in Michel, White, Burkhead & Develin. Pats running game propelled them to a Super Bowl win.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Both teams played on the same field, if anything Miami's O was on a roll having scored 28 and 34 their previous 2 playoff games. 

Then you have no understanding of offense and why the field conditions our is at a huge disadvantage and why Shula left the fields to get muddy that week.

Jets were a team built in speed.  Their backs and WR were not only fast but relied on cutting ability.  The fish were a plodding team that ran straight ahead, didn't rely on a passing game.  Even their QB was basically a RB

That slow, slippery field was killer and was predicted

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

2005 Jets led by Brooks Bollinger has to be up there.

The fact that brooks bollinger was actually a thing on this site (“Bollywood!”) is the reason I cannot get excited by Jet fan collective optimism.

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He got hurt in October, his only good stretch of football came in November. The O numbers were skewed by a couple of blowout wins.  That was not a great offense

We were 8-3 with a qb who didn’t know the playbook and an inept coaching staff 

The offensive roster including Favre was pretty good

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Then you have no understanding of offense and why the field conditions our is at a huge disadvantage and why Shula left the fields to get muddy that week.

Jets were a team built in speed.  Their backs and WR were not only fast but relied on cutting ability.  The fish were a plodding team that ran straight ahead, didn't rely on a passing game.  Even their QB was basically a RB

Miami earned homefield advantage by SWEEPING us in excellent conditions.  The field didn't win or lose the game that day, Miami was better.  

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We were 8-3 with a qb who didn’t know the playbook and an inept coaching staff 

The offensive roster including Favre was pretty good

We feasted on a creampuff schedule.  I just wish favre cared, if we got the 2009 version of favre in 2008 there's a good chance we win the SB that year 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

A couple of those outlier games we aren’t supposed to count one was the Thursday night road win over the Pats D that went 18-1 the year before the other was the blowout win over the titans who went to the AFCG

#anomolies

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We feasted on a creampuff schedule.  I just wish favre cared, if we got the 2009 version of favre in 2008 there's a good chance we win the SB that year 

The cream puff schedule included wins over the Pats and Titans who went to the AFCG and Cardinals who went to the Super Bowl and easy breezy 3,000 mile road trips to San Diego, Seattle and San Francisco 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The cream puff schedule included wins over the Pats and Titans who went to the AFCG and Cardinals who went to the Super Bowl and easy breezy 3,000 mile road trips to San Diego, Seattle and San Francisco 

2 teams that didn't win a single playoff game that year, one of them didn't even make it.  We beat NE in OT by 3, in that game we had a KR for a TD.  We also lost to them where the O scored 10 points.

The Cardinals came to the northeast 3 times, in those 3 games they have up 56, 48 and 47.  This team also won just 9 games. They got hot in January, they were not great in the reg season and were awful in the northeast.

It's tough flying first class, how did we beat SD in SD in the div Rd a year later? We were 0-4 in West coast games in 2008, NE with Matt Cassell was 3-1. In 2009 we were 2-0 including playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

A couple of those outlier games we aren’t supposed to count one was the Thursday night road win over the Pats D that went 18-1 the year before the other was the blowout win over the titans who went to the AFCG

#anomolies

The Titans were one and done in the playoffs. Including our game they went 3-3 in their last 6 with 2 of the losses against non playoff teams.  In their lone playoff game they lost to Baltimore and their rookie QB.

NE was 18-1 overall a season earlier but they lost the guy most responsible for it in week 1.  The Jets barely beat the Matt Cassell pats that Thursday night in foxboro.  Against Brady the Jets are 2-14 in foxboro in the regular season.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets smoked the undefeated "best team in football" at the end of November. They were good enough to beat anyone that year - regardless of what the schedule was.

• Upvote 2

The Jets didn’t bring the correct cleats didn’t think they needed to fuk Shula

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets smoked the undefeated "best team in football" at the end of November. They were good enough to beat anyone that year - regardless of what the schedule was.

That team they smoked finished the season 3-3 in their last 6 regular season games then were 1 and done in the playoffs.

Good enough to beat anyone except 8-8 SD, 5-11 Oak, 8-8 Den, 7-9 SF and 4-12 Seattle.

46 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

The Jets didn’t bring the correct cleats didn’t think they needed to fuk Shula

how do you slow down a fast offense? muddy the field by not covering it https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/24/sports/no-excuse-for-missing-tarpaulin.html....if that is not cheating what is?

how the can the rules be rules if they are not applied equally

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

2 teams that didn't win a single playoff game that year, one of them didn't even make it.  We beat NE in OT by 3, in that game we had a KR for a TD.  We also lost to them where the O scored 10 points.

The Cardinals came to the northeast 3 times, in those 3 games they have up 56, 48 and 47.  This team also won just 9 games. They got hot in January, they were not great in the reg season and were awful in the northeast.

It's tough flying first class, how did we beat SD in SD in the div Rd a year later? We were 0-4 in West coast games in 2008, NE with Matt Cassell was 3-1. In 2009 we were 2-0 including playoffs.

You act like we played an arena league schedule we beat the NFC Super Bowl team and an AFCG team among other good wins

Trading for Favre was absolutely the right move it just didn’t work out in the end because he got hurt.  That’s why they play the games

31 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You act like we played an arena league schedule we beat the NFC Super Bowl team and an AFCG team among other good wins

Trading for Favre was absolutely the right move it just didn’t work out in the end because he got hurt.  That’s why they play the games

You keep saying Tennessee made the AFC championship game, they did not.  They were in and done.  The 2008 AFC championship game was btw Pittsburgh and Baltimore- we didn't play either team. 

We, and the other AFC East teams had ridiculously easy schedules, which was why we went from 4 wins to 9, miami from 1 to 11 and why NE could stay afloat without Brady.

Trading for favre was a disaster BUT it did lead to Rex and Sanchez so it wasn't all bad but if we don't make that move we win a rare division title that year and have a chance to go a long way.

46 minutes ago, rammagen said:

how do you slow down a fast offense? muddy the field by not covering it https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/24/sports/no-excuse-for-missing-tarpaulin.html....if that is not cheating what is?

how the can the rules be rules if they are not applied equally

On dry fields that year:

Miami beat us 45-28 in NY and we scored 2 garbage time TDs in the 4th to pull within 17.

Miami beat us 20-19 in Miami.

It didn't matter where we played and because Miami swept us that earned homefield in that championship game.

53 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Favre doesn’t get injured and we go to the SB. 

I remember the hype that we were going to get a Jet-Giant SB for the first time ever because it looked like, at one point, both NY teams were the best or close to the best in the NFL. 

Then pop goes the bi-cep tendon and that was it for us. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

To be fair, Miami swept us in the regular season.  In the first game we scored 28 in a 45-28 loss but we trailed 45-14 and scored 2 garbage time TDs.

In the second game we lost 20-19.

So our O wasn't great in either game against them and as far as being on a roll going into the championship game.  We had a big scoring game at Cincy where the O scored 37 but we scored 17 in winning at LA.

Both teams played on the same field, if anything Miami's O was on a roll having scored 28 and 34 their previous 2 playoff games.

The biggest thing that killed us that day was on Miami's lone offensive scoring drive they fumbled, we recovered but they gave it back to Miami.

Jets would of won that game except for that field. The Jets had speed - Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper. Shula pulled the tarp off to slow down the Jets and it worked.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

On dry fields that year:

Miami beat us 45-28 in NY and we scored 2 garbage time TDs in the 4th to pull within 17.

Miami beat us 20-19 in Miami.

It didn't matter where we played and because Miami swept us that earned homefield in that championship game.

Always so sure of yourself.  If we were such an easy win for them, why did that douche take the tarp off?  He was scared of McNeil who was on an absolute tear.  The rout in NY was the opener.  Things change during the course of a season and the fact that we lost by 1 in Miami less than a month earlier shows that the idea we were an easy win for Miami is a joke.