American Dream Mall To Open In October

On 7/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, nj meadowlands said:

1000%.  And it will undoubtedly fail in spectacular fashion.

That said, I will probably take the bus from the city to check it out because I am an idiot.

you said about it all.  you need to take a bus from the city to get to it, and it will fail.  and the biggest fail is the taxpayers will hold the bag one way or another.  i suppose it could be construed as another patsie place but the patsies have been a very successful franchise for quite some time so there's an automatic draw for the mall.

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well these guys seem to have a plan. This is a new concept in malls as in half of it isn't actually a mall. You will see new hotels in the area and people will come in and stay here. Waterpark one day. Hit the rollercoaster the next. Take the train to the city.

Plus the mixed use means they can open it on Sunday. Brilliant idea.

The concept is interesting.  On a rainy weekend day, I'd definitely leave the city to take the kids to the amusement park inside.  In my mind, being next to football actually hurts it though.  If there's a home game for either team, I doubt I'd want to combat that traffic.  Parking will also be interesting.  Will they charge?  If not, how do they stop football ticket holders from just parking at the mall and walking?

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The concept is interesting.  On a rainy weekend day, I'd definitely leave the city to take the kids to the amusement park inside.  In my mind, being next to football actually hurts it though.  If there's a home game for either team, I doubt I'd want to combat that traffic.  Parking will also be interesting.  Will they charge?  If not, how do they stop football ticket holders from just parking at the mall and walking?

I would think on non football game days there would be no charge, no problem. But on game day, I am not sure what they do. That is a big problem though you are 100% right.

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well these guys seem to have a plan. This is a new concept in malls as in half of it isn't actually a mall. You will see new hotels in the area and people will come in and stay here. Waterpark one day. Hit the rollercoaster the next. Take the train to the city.

Plus the mixed use means they can open it on Sunday. Brilliant idea.

It’s not about local residents. It’s about South American, European, and Asian tourists. 

If you’ve ever shopped at Woodbury Commons or Mills at Jersey Commons you know that 75% of the shoppers are foreigners with massive empty suitcases picking up large amounts of designer goods at a fraction of what they’d pay in their homeland. 

American Dream is just another alternative shopping experience for them, and since it has so few shops compared to the larger facilities they need goofy attractions like roller coasters and ski hills to compete for those foreign dollars. 

It’ll go out of business within 3 years. Word of mouth between the large foreign charter and tour groups will kill it.  Limited brands, small amount of stores, non-outlet pricing, and weak/expensive amusement attractions can’t compete with the big outlet malls.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It’s not about local residents. It’s about South American, European, and Asian tourists. 

If you’ve ever shopped at Woodbury Commons or Mills at Jersey Commons you know that 75% of the shoppers are foreigners with massive empty suitcases picking up large amounts of designer goods at a fraction of what they’d pay in their homeland. 

American Dream is just another alternative shopping experience for them, and since it has so few shops compared to the larger facilities they need goofy attractions like roller coasters and ski hills to compete for those foreign dollars. 

It’ll go out of business within 3 years. Word of mouth between the large foreign charter and tour groups will kill it.  Limited brands, small amount of stores, non-outlet pricing, and weak/expensive amusement attractions can’t compete with the big outlet malls.

SAR I

Is this a scientific analysis?  75%?  

It seems strange that you are educating everybody as being so far off on the business model and then predicting the exact same fate.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

So this is kind of a thing that Patriot Place figured out well. That's exactly what they want you to do, actually. They do free parking for diners and customers, even on gameday. They'll even shuttle you to the front doors of the stadium for free if you go in, buy some stuff and get validated.I have no idea if they plan on using the same model in Rutherford but the issue is not without some successful precedent.

Similar to the cheap gasoline, hot dogs, and pizza at Costco.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, faba said:

Lack of convenient access will be its downfall. Sundays will be interesting on how they are going to coordinate it with the games.

If SAR is right, they will probably hope to have destination shoppers staying right in the area.  They will also be paying huge kickbacks to the tour guides that steer buses to the outlets like Woodbury.  I remember reading in the Post that there is one guy on the Bowery that brings in like 15% of all tourists from China.  You pay those people off and you can fill the stadium parking lots on non-game days.  

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is this a scientific analysis?  75%?  

It seems strange that you are educating everybody as being so far off on the business model and then predicting the exact same fate.

I know what I see at the big outlet malls and I'm just offering an opinion like everyone else.  There are only 16 retail stores in this "mall".  And 25% of the space still remains unleased.  So that's a whopping 20 retail stores when American Dream is at capacity.  There are strip malls in East Rutherford that have more options.  And have you seen who's there?

• Aritzia
  • Banana Republic
  • Century 21
  • Gap
  • Hermes
  • Lord & Tailor
  • Lululemon
  • MAC Cosmetics
  • Microsoft
  • OFF 5th
  • Primark
  • Saks Fifth Avenue
  • UNIQLO
  • Victoria's Secret
  • Victoria's Secret PINK
  • Zara

These are not compelling retailers for anyone living in NJ as we are all within a 15 minute drive of a mall that has all these brands plus 100s more.  And for tourists in Manhattan it's even worse, there are dozens of these retailers near their hotels or an Uber away.  This is a paltry offering from a retail perspective.

So it's all about the water park, the ski hill, and a roller coaster drawing tour buses from Manhattan.  Those tricks may actually work but the project is going to be encumbered by low rent, closing stores, and high operational expenses.  So it's going to fail.  Not hard to predict.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I know what I see at the big outlet malls and I'm just offering an opinion like everyone else.  There are only 16 retail stores in this "mall".  And 25% of the space still remains unleased.  So that's a whopping 20 retail stores when American Dream is at capacity.  There are strip malls in East Rutherford that have more options.  And have you seen who's there?

• Aritzia
  • Banana Republic
  • Century 21
  • Gap
  • Hermes
  • Lord & Tailor
  • Lululemon
  • MAC Cosmetics
  • Microsoft
  • OFF 5th
  • Primark
  • Saks Fifth Avenue
  • UNIQLO
  • Victoria's Secret
  • Victoria's Secret PINK
  • Zara

These are not compelling retailers for anyone living in NJ as we are all within a 15 minute drive of a mall that has all these brands plus 100s more.  And for tourists in Manhattan it's even worse, there are dozens of these retailers near their hotels or an Uber away.  This is a paltry offering from a retail perspective.

So it's all about the water park, the ski hill, and a roller coaster drawing tour buses from Manhattan.  Those tricks may actually work but the project is going to be encumbered by low rent, closing stores, and high operational expenses.  So it's going to fail.  Not hard to predict.

SAR I

Who wants to see SAR I go down the ski hill with a Jet flag in one hand and grey poupon in the other hand  ?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Who wants to see SAR I go down the ski hill with a Jet flag in one hand and grey poupon in the other hand  ?

When I go skiing, I go skiing.  You're not going to find me on a chair lift in a shopping mall.  I wouldn't even wish that upon my pool boy.

SAR I

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

When I go skiing, I go skiing.  You're not going to find me on a chair lift in a shopping mall.  I wouldn't even wish that upon my pool boy.

SAR I

Do you ski? Let's go together this winter 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Do you ski? Let's go together this winter 

Yes.  Where do you like to go?  Can we keep the equipment in the camper?  We did Hunter last year, it wasn't very crowded.  Loon is a nice one in New England.

SAR I

9 hours ago, NoBowles said:

If he skies, it will only be where the super wealthy people ski, you know, the people who are so rich they buy BMW 3 series and ski at super exclusive rich ski slopes 

As we have a 7, 4, and 3, that's a 14 Series.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  Where do you like to go?  Can we keep the equipment in the camper?  We did Hunter last year, it wasn't very crowded.  Loon is a nice one in New England.

SAR I

Hunter? 

Try Windham and Belleyre. Much nicer mountains and ski experiences. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I can keep my equipment in the RV, yes. Not sure about you.  :)

I like Hunter a lot, much better than what PA and NJ has to offer.

• Upvote 1