Picking Apart the Depth Chart: Jets 2019 Tight Ends

IMG_7063a-1.jpg

Jets training camp is right around the corner as the much-anticipated 2019 season gets under way at 1 Jets Drive in Florham Park when players report in the final week of July.  JetNation.com has you covered as we’ll be breaking down the team’s depth chart at each position from top to bottom.  Today, we kick it all off with the tight ends.  It’s a group that’s led by second-year player Chris Herndon but with little behind him in terms of proven talent. 

Chris Herndon- Herndon enters his second NFL season with much anticipation after an impressive rookie season that saw him haul in 39 passes for 502 yards and 4 touchdowns.  Aside from opening lots of eyes as a receiver, Herndon proved himself to be more than capable as a blocker.  A legitimate threat to become an outstanding dual threat player, Herndon and quarterback Sam Darnold have a chance to be something special for  years to come.

Re-watching some clips for Jets/Packers and this play from Herndon will never get old. pic.twitter.com/xCI7lMZhhW

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) March 8, 2019

Eric Tomlinson- The incumbent no. 2 tight end whose primary role is to serve as a blocker is on thin ice.  Following what many believe was his worst season as a pro in 2019, Tomlinson will be pushed by rookie tight end Trevon Wesco, who many feel was the top blocking tight end in this class.  

Trevon Wesco- The aforementioned rookie out of West Virginia could be a valuable piece in Adam Gase’s offense.  With the ability to line up as a tight end, fullback or H-back with a fearless demeanor and underrated hands, Wesco’s arrival will likely spell the end for Eric Tomlinson.  

Dark Horse:

Daniel Brown- A little-known player who has managed to catch just 35 balls in 5 pro seasons, Brown was a college wide receiver with whom Adam Gase has some degree of familiarity given their time together with the Bears.  Several scribes on the Jets beat spoke highly of Brown’s performance in OTA’s and given his familiarity with the offense, could jump out to an early head start in the competition for a final roster spot.

Thoughts on this or any other article on JetNation.com?  Click here to log in to our forums to speak your mind.

The post Picking Apart the Depth Chart: Jets 2019 Tight Ends appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
uuknSs3-6NA

Click here to read the full story...

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Was there any news on a possible Herndon suspension?  I may have missed that.

I also think TE is ripe for a waiver pickup by Douglas during camp or after cuts by other teams.  I don't think the Jets are eager to hang on to anyone but Herndon and Wesco right now.

Hasn't been officially announced by the league but because he plead guilty it looks like two games. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jets-chris-herndon-expected-to-serve-suspension/

• Upvote 2

Wesco making his case for playing time and eliminating Tomlinson from the roster would be fantastic news. Tomlinson making the team would mean that Wesco and Brown did not impress, which would be terrible news. I wanted to hear more about Wesco over the spring practices, but it never really happened. Hoping he pops in training camp. I'd expect him to get a lot action in the preseason, while they protect the closest thing they have to a proven TE in Herndon. 

21 minutes ago, slats said:

Wesco making his case for playing time and eliminating Tomlinson from the roster would be fantastic news. Tomlinson making the team would mean that Wesco and Brown did not impress, which would be terrible news. I wanted to hear more about Wesco over the spring practices, but it never really happened. Hoping he pops in training camp. I'd expect him to get a lot action in the preseason, while they protect the closest thing they have to a proven TE in Herndon. 

First 2 games likely without Herndon. Really hope Wesco impresses. 

19 hours ago, slats said:

Wesco you won't see what you have till the pads come on.   ( never was going to standout in shorts) .   So I really wouldn't worry about not hearing about him impressing in Ota's. 

Jmo and I could be proven wrong but I don't think C Herndon is going to be as good as a lot of Jet fans thinks he's going to be.( expectations for him are through the roof).