Jets Mount Rushmore

If we're including coaches, I think Weeb has to be on there, in which case it's probably Namath, Weeb, Maynard and one more, depending on your taste. Revis was the best player, but obviously his approach has kind alienated him from being an iconic Jets guy, as did going to the Pats. Curtis Martin has the HoF ring, but was more of a "very good for a very long time" type of player. Klecko probably should be in the Hall and probably is more of a "bleeding green" associated with the Jets type guy.

That's probably the field.

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

But he was so passionate about the way he felt about the Jets.. 

wasn’t the biggest football fan to begin with, but if I was going to play, I didn’t want to play for what was in my mind the worst team, ever,” “I looked at the Jets as the bottom of the barrel.” 

If that's not Jet Mount Rushmore worthy nothing is..:cheers: 

Thank you for the CuMar quote. Eff him and his spongy HOF stats. Riggins was 10X the player and the Jets wouldnt pay him. He played here 5 years and was clearly a beast. The owners got what they wanted after Supe lll. A franchise worth many millions more than they invested and werent going to spend on good players other than Joe because he was the ticket seller. Cheap bastards ruined Joe by not investing around him and lost Riggins when they should have paid up. 

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Thank you for the CuMar quote. Eff him and his spongy HOF stats. Riggins was 10X the player and the Jets wouldnt pay him. He played here 5 years and was clearly a beast. The owners got what they wanted after Supe lll. A franchise worth many millions more than they invested and werent going to spend on good players other than Joe because he was the ticket seller. Cheap bastards ruined Joe by not investing around him and lost Riggins when they should have paid up. 

In 1963, Sonny Werblin and his partners purchased the American Football League (AFL) Titans of New York from original owner Harry Wismer. Werblin changed the team's name to the Jets, and drafted Matt Snell in the first round, signing him away from the crosstown NFL Giants. His biggest coup came in 1965, when for $400,000 he signed University of Alabama quarterback Joe Namath, who had been drafted by the NFL St. Louis Cardinals. Werblin and the Oakland Raiders' Al Davis resisted the indemnity the NFL demanded, which was $100,000 per year for twenty years. Other AFL owners agreed to the terms, along with stripping the name and logo from the AFL.

Werblin was bought out by Jets management prior to the 1968 season, which concluded with the team winning Super Bowl III over the Baltimore Colts in one of the greatest upsets in sports history. Newark Star-Ledger sports columnists Jerry Izenberg and Sidney Zion would later speculate that, because the Jets fired Werblin, there was a "Curse of Sonny Werblin" on the team. By an unusual coincidence, Werblin and Izenberg were elected to the Sports Hall of Fame of New Jersey in the same year, 1997. 

51 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’ll play..

Vernon Gholston

Blair Thomas.

Christian Hackenberg 

Dewayne Robertson.

Tough to argue with that, although Hackenburg never ended up seeing the field so it’s almost hard to even call him a Jet.  Bubby Brister, Stephen Hill, Neil O’Donnell, Devin Smith might also be candidates. 

On 7/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kleckineau said:

i don't think i'd dis cumar because riggins was a really good player.  but you are right about where the team headed in the 70's.  it was a combination of a team just growing old and then all of the labor strife that culminated in the wfl.  they weren't able to replace the players like maynard or hill or snell or boozer or grantham, etc when they got to the backside of their careers and were cut.  and weeb selecting his son in law to be his replacement didn't help either.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kleckineau said:

Thank you for the CuMar quote. Eff him and his spongy HOF stats. Riggins was 10X the player and the Jets wouldnt pay him. He played here 5 years and was clearly a beast. The owners got what they wanted after Supe lll. A franchise worth many millions more than they invested and werent going to spend on good players other than Joe because he was the ticket seller. Cheap bastards ruined Joe by not investing around him and lost Riggins when they sho uld have paid up. 

Riggins had one 1,000 yd season and 25 rush TDs, his long rush in 5 years was 42 yards.  Curtis was over 1,000 every year except his final season which was cut short by injury.  Yes, I know Riggins played 14 games a year here but only one of Curtis's seasons would have been under 1000 in 14 games. If you prorate John's yards to 16 games he would have had just 2 1,000 yd seasons.  Curtis also added 58 rush TDs which was more than double what Riggins had and he only played 3 more seasons.  If you take John's TDs per game and prorate to Curtis's number of games he has 50.

John's best years were in Washington, to put him ahead of Curtis as a Jet is laughable.

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Riggins had one 1,000 yd season and 25 rush TDs, his long rush in 5 years was 42 yards.  Curtis was over 1,000 every year except his final season which was cut short by injury.  Yes, I know Riggins played 14 games a year here but only one of Curtis's seasons would have been under 1000 in 14 games. If you prorate John's yards to 16 games he would have had just 2 1,000 yd seasons.  Curtis also added 58 rush TDs which was more than double what Riggins had and he only played 3 more seasons.  If you take John's TDs per game and prorate to Curtis's number of games he has 50.

John's best years were in Washington, to put him ahead of Curtis as a Jet is laughable.

While I agree Riggins did his best work with the Skins the most carries he got in a Jet season was 238. Without Parcells and Paul Hackett Martin never would have made the HOF. Hell if Priest Holmes wasn't hurt in 2004 Cumar wouldn't have won the Rushing title by a yard not to mention the 2 over time games the Jets had that year. And Holmgren keeping Alexander on the bench when he saw Martin getting yards.. As a Jet Cumar avg 7 tds a year and 4 ypc

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

While I agree Riggins did his best work with the Skins the most carries he got in a Jet season was 238. Without Parcells and Paul Hackett Martin never would have made the HOF. Hell if Priest Holmes wasn't hurt in 2004 Cumar wouldn't have won the Rushing title by a yard not to mention the 2 over time games the Jets had that year. And Holmgren keeping Alexander on the bench when he saw Martin getting yards.. As a Jet Cumar avg 7 tds a year and 4 ypc

Riggins averaged 3.9 ypc for his career, Curtis 4.0.

Curtis had 1697 yds to win the rushing title, priest Holmes' career high was 1615. Priest beat Curtis with a big final week in 2001 in a meaningless game where he could just go after the title.

Alexander should have won it but didn't, is finishing second a bad thing especially with almost 1700 yards?

24 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Riggins averaged 3.9 ypc for his career, Curtis 4.0.

Curtis had 1697 yds to win the rushing title, priest Holmes' career high was 1615. Priest beat Curtis with a big final week in 2001 in a meaningless game where he could just go after the title.

Alexander should have won it but didn't, is finishing second a bad thing especially with almost 1700 yards?

Would you care to compare Riggins and CuMars playoff and Superbowl numbers?

Didnt think so.