What rookie would you bank on becoming a superstar for 5+ years?

My rookie that could become a star from off the UDFA scrap heap is Miami Dolphin WR Preston Williams.

Showed his talent at OTAs and caught people's attention.  Fitzpatrick saw something in the kid and set him up to work out some of the kinks with Brandon Marshall.

For UDFAs, I think Gregg Dortch could be that PITA that comes in on 4 WR sets & is that quick jitterbug guy that once he's in the open field look out. 

Darnold is accurate enough to find the 5'-7" Dortch. Gase will use what he has, figure out each guys strengths & this guy could be awesome part time weapon late in the season. The guy was his teams only weapon & he had outrageous numbers for his only 2 seasons. 

I'd've taken Oliver over QW, but we'll see. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the employ Anderson, Williams, & Williams as a three-man front. QW on the nose? Don't know if that's really a superstar fit. I'd be looking to move these guys around on the line, maybe run a number of stunts. This is where Gregg Williams and Andre Carter will earn their money, making the best use of these guys. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

For UDFAs, I think Gregg Dortch could be that PITA that comes in on 4 WR sets & is that quick jitterbug guy that once he's in the open field look out. 

Darnold is accurate enough to find the 5'-7" Dortch. Gase will use what he has, figure out each guys strengths & this guy could be awesome part time weapon late in the season. The guy was his teams only weapon & he had outrageous numbers for his only 2 seasons. 

Wouldn't this be incredible if we got our very own little Tyreek Hill (without all the womenz punching).  

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Wouldn't this be incredible if we got our very own little Tyreek Hill (without all the womenz punching).  

Lol. Even Reid & Goodell can't save his azz pulling this sh*t during the ME TOO movement. All of this stuff use to be swept under the rug or players would pay chicks to keep their mouth shut (I'm going to get suspended & have no money coming in to take care of you) type of warnings & they'd reverse course on accusations. 

55 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lol. Even Reid & Goodell can't save his azz pulling this sh*t during the ME TOO movement. All of this stuff use to be swept under the rug or players would pay chicks to keep their mouth shut (I'm going to get suspended & have no money coming in to take care of you) type of warnings & they'd reverse course on accusations. 

Apparently the audio tapes from the incident may get him out of a suspension. 

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Apparently the audio tapes from the incident may get him out of a suspension. 

Hmm. He has a history of violence so it'll be interesting what happens. He's obviously a very talented football player & a piece of trash human being.

16 hours ago, jgb said:

Another “solid but unspectacular” DL drafted by the Jets?

I would take a coin toss right now—50% QW becomes a star, 50% he busts—rather than have another slightly above average D-lineman. 

I think you underrate just how good Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams have been.  If you have 3 categories - star, average or bust - they are all stars.  Fairly inconsequential to the W/L record, but stars nonetheless.  It is frustrating, but they have been very good players, just not all the best draft picks. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jgb said:

Another “solid but unspectacular” DL drafted by the Jets?

I would take a coin toss right now—50% QW becomes a star, 50% he busts—rather than have another slightly above average D-lineman. 

I actually see Q as more likely to actually work out. He has that little extra something in his work ethic that a lot of players don't have. There was a live feed of him running and talking to people on line last week that I stumbled on. Someone asked the question "why are you out there running?" and he answered  "why AREN'T you running?"   He just wants to work. 

And all he says is he wants to dominate. Not play well. Not learn the system and contribute. Dominate. lol  He has the talent obviously. But he seemingly has that little extra drive that pushes players over the top. At least that's how it looks from this end. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think you underrate just how good Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams have been.  If you have 3 categories - star, average or bust - they are all stars.  Fairly inconsequential to the W/L record, but stars nonetheless.  It is frustrating, but they have been very good players, just not all the best draft picks. 

Greatness x Longevity = Star

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:48 AM, slats said:

I'd've taken Oliver over QW, but we'll see. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the employ Anderson, Williams, & Williams as a three-man front. QW on the nose? Don't know if that's really a superstar fit. I'd be looking to move these guys around on the line, maybe run a number of stunts. This is where Gregg Williams and Andre Carter will earn their money, making the best use of these guys. 

Bingo.  If there's one thing the Jets seem to have now it's options.  I wouldn't be afraid to play around with a 4-3 that included McClendon at NT and Quinnen at 3-technique DT.  While Anderson and Leo are bigger and a little less quick than you'd like for 4-3 DEs I think both could be employed in those spots on occasion and it would be really fun to watch.  That's a lot of mass to contend with on the DLine if you're an offensive line.  You can't double team more than one of those guys really and you'd be setting yourself up to be vulnerable to penetrating LBs like Mosely, Jenkins, etc.

My pick is Chase Winovich because Mac passed on him and the Pats picked him. It just figures. Do I want this to happen - hell no! It’s just par for the course.
Polite was a much much higher prospect before the combine. I have faith he will end up being the better pick. Wincovich gained a large bit of momentum because of his personality. He is a meh prospect who got well overhyped. On any team other than the patriots I would be comfortable saying I 100 percent belive be busts out of the league.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Where is Jonah Williams on this list? I could have sworn there were alot of people that said he should have been our pick

Considering he tore his labrum, had surgery and will miss the season, it’s not really a fair critique. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Polite was a much much higher prospect before the combine. I have faith he will end up being the better pick. Wincovich gained a large bit of momentum because of his personality. He is a meh prospect who got well overhyped. On any team other than the patriots I would be comfortable saying I 100 percent belive be busts out of the league.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

So you are one of those "the combine is a meaningless track meet" guys?  Winovich had 3 years of solid production in the Big 10.  Polite was basically a one year wonder at Florida.  His stats were better for the one year, but he is way less consistent.  Winovich is bigger and faster.  Polite was the hyped prospect because, like Gholston, he was expected to run well.  He didn't.  Winovich is a much safer prospect.  The idea that you "100 percent" expect him to bust out of the league indicates to me you don't know much about him.  He ran very well.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Considering he tore his labrum, had surgery and will miss the season, it’s not really a fair critique. 

That was my point 1st rounder we should have traded back for according to some. If we had traded back and missed out on bug q and the had a great season those fans would have lost it.