What rookie would you bank on becoming a superstar for 5+ years?

29 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That was my point 1st rounder we should have traded back for according to some. If we had traded back and missed out on bug q and the had a great season those fans would have lost it. 

I wanted Q but if Q had torn his labrum the second guessing could have just as easily have been “see, I toldya, we should have traded back!”

Its the luck of the draw. 

That was my point 1st rounder we should have traded back for according to some. If we had traded back and missed out on bug q and the had a great season those fans would have lost it. 

We should have traded back and taken an OL in the first. Jonah would have been a good choice. We would have recouped a 2nd and taken greedy Williams or Cody ford etc in the 2nd. Jonah Williams injury does not change that. It just means that it’s hard to talk about him in this particular conversation because he’s out for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

lol "game wrecking talent" or "bowling ball with butcher knives"

WIlkerson - game changer

Richardson - DROY

Leo Williams - fastest DT in a decade

QW needs to play and have impact like Aaron Donald for the next decade, first ballot HOF or it's still a bad pick for the Jets (especially when they lose Leo)

Great story and QW seems like a great human being, his family will be set, lives changed forever once he signs that contract (+$30m guaranteed, not bad for one great year on the most talented defense in the NCAA) , we will see if there is anything left  - every pick in this draft is good reason Mac was fired, that said;

I hope QW is a superstar for the Jets!

• Upvote 2

On 7/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Where is Jonah Williams on this list? I could have sworn there were alot of people that said he should have been our pick

Jonah Williams could be in the same place as David DeCastro when he was injured in the preseason 8 years ago

Today, DL Quinton Coples (#16 pick for Jets) is out of the league and DeCastro (#24 pick) is a superstar on the Steelers Offensive Line and would still be an upgrade for the Jets OL

PFF notes;  "The conversation for the NFL’s best pass-blocking guard should always include David DeCastro as few players have been as consistent as he over the last six seasons. Following the 2017 season where he finished second among guards with a pass-blocking grade of 89.7, the Steelers right guard allowed just one sack, two hits and 23 hurries from his 729 pass-blocking snaps in 2018, earning a pass-blocking grade of 86.1 in the process — the fifth straight season in which he’d earned a pass-blocking grade north of 80.0."

how many posts like this "can't draft a Guard that high" are not funny now

Oh and #60 of the same draft (2012) the Ravens selected Kelechi Osemele 

• Upvote 2

Hard to say about QW but I like his chances of stardom a lot better than Murray.  I just can't be sold on a guy that small.  No matter how fast he is, some DC is going to send Safety blitzes at him and those guys are going to chase him down even if the big bodies up front can't.  I see plenty of ways he can bust or get injured.  It would pick Haskins to have a better rookie season if WAS had even an iota of offensive talent.

I'm excited about Quinnen Williams and maybe it's not a fair comparison but, we were told similar things about Leonard Williams. That he was arguably the best player in the draft and was going to be a game wrecker for us on the D-Line. He's a good player and I think he takes more criticism then he deserves, but he's not a star. Hopefully Quinnen Williams at DT lives up to the hype.

• Upvote 2

On 7/11/2019 at 10:02 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I think you underrate just how good Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams have been.  If you have 3 categories - star, average or bust - they are all stars.  Fairly inconsequential to the W/L record, but stars nonetheless.  It is frustrating, but they have been very good players, just not all the best draft picks. 

Huh?  Wilkerson drank himself out of the league, Richardson is on his 3rd team in 3 years and Leo is a fat turd who goes games without making plays.

These 3 are the definition of busts.

Quinnen will break this trend and be a long term solution at the position.  A perennial pro bowler.  The exact opposite of the other 3 bums.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Huh?  Wilkerson drank himself out of the league, Richardson is on his 3rd team in 3 years and Leo is a fat turd who goes games without making plays.

These 3 are the definition of busts.

Quinnen will break this trend and be a long term solution at the position.  A perennial pro bowler.  The exact opposite of the other 3 bums.

You are pretty funny.  Not very accurate, but funny.  Richardson just signed a deal with $15M fully guaranteed.  Wilkerson was injured.  Not sure that .01 over constitutes drinking himself out of the league, and after 10 years in the league he is already, by definition, not a bust.  If you think these guys are busts, then 99+% of draft picks are busts, and Quinnen will assuredly be one too. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, RoadFan said:

My rookie that could become a star from off the UDFA scrap heap is Miami Dolphin WR Preston Williams.

Showed his talent at OTAs and caught people's attention.  Fitzpatrick saw something in the kid and set him up to work out some of the kinks with Brandon Marshall.

I really wanted the Jets to nab him and was disappointed when they didn't. 

HOWEVER, you are talking about a guy with multiple failed drug tests and a domestic violence arrest. Which is why he was not drafted.  

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Leo is a fat turd who goes games without making plays

Very simply not true. It's just not accurate. Say what you will about Leo- that he hasn't lived up to his draft position or he hasn't turned into a productive pass rusher or we shouldn't resign him or whatever. But this kind of s**t is just complete nonsense and discredits you. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Jonah Williams could be in the same place as David DeCastro when he was injured in the preseason 8 years ago

Today, DL Quinton Coples (#16 pick for Jets) is out of the league and DeCastro (#24 pick) is a superstar on the Steelers Offensive Line and would still be an upgrade for the Jets OL

PFF notes;  "The conversation for the NFL’s best pass-blocking guard should always include David DeCastro as few players have been as consistent as he over the last six seasons. Following the 2017 season where he finished second among guards with a pass-blocking grade of 89.7, the Steelers right guard allowed just one sack, two hits and 23 hurries from his 729 pass-blocking snaps in 2018, earning a pass-blocking grade of 86.1 in the process — the fifth straight season in which he’d earned a pass-blocking grade north of 80.0."

how many times did we read "you can't draft a Guard that high" LOL

Oh and #60 of the same draft (2012) the Ravens selected Kelechi Osemele 

A chronic shoulder injury for an OL is not good at all 

Jonah would have been a debacle here my friend at work who is a bengals fan is having a meltdown 

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

A chronic shoulder injury for an OL is not good at all 

Jonah would have been a debacle here my friend at work who is a bengals fan is having a meltdown 

Maybe so, time will tell for sure, I simply provided an example to support that fact

A trade down and OL selection was the right move for a team developing a franchise QB, if Super Bowl is the goal, Sam needs to make the next step

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Maybe so, time will tell for sure, I simply provided an example to support that fact

A trade down and OL selection was the right move for a team developing a franchise QB, if Super Bowl is the goal, Sam needs to make the next step

No it wasn’t 

Ed Oliver will be the best pick out of this draft and it's not even close. Sucks that the Bills got the best player in the draft at 9 overall but it falls in place with the most recent drafts. Both Donald and Watt were out of the top ten and they have been the most dynamic defensive players over the last 8 years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RobR said:

Ed Oliver will be the best pick out of this draft and it's not even close. Sucks that the Bills got the best player in the draft at 9 overall but it falls in place with the most recent drafts. Both Donald and Watt were out of the top ten and they have been the most dynamic defensive players over the last 8 years.

We'll have a nice close up look of both Q and Oliver in week 1. I think (hope) Q.Williams is going to be a superstar but I really wanted to Jets to draft Oliver. I can't see how our OLine aside from Osemele is going to be able to handle him.

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I think Nick Bosa is going to be monster on that Niners line.  Add him to Armstead, Buckner, & Ford...  I will be suprised if Kyler Murray lasts a full season in that division.

The Bosa brothers are juiceheads who will be on IR with soft-tissue injuries their whole lives. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Bosa brothers are juiceheads who will be on IR with soft-tissue injuries their whole lives. 

We'll see, Doc.  Definitely getting a Bigfoot vibe from the younger Bosa though.  He should be popular in local Bay Area political circles... (whistles) 

4 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

We'll see, Doc.  Definitely getting a Bigfoot vibe from the younger Bosa though.  He should be popular in local Bay Area political circles... (whistles) 

If he opens his mouth they're going to launch him off of Catalina Island in a big, gay catapult.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If he opens his mouth they're going to launch him off of Catalina Island in a big, gay catapult.

Well I only really picked him cause I was hard up for a choice and I want former Ducks Arik Armstead/DeForrest Buckner to get some help.  But if you want to express your hate in a physical form I will try and see if I can locate an Anti-Bosa concession from the local Seahawks fanatics (read band wagoners.) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

lol "game wrecking talent" or "bowling ball with butcher knives"

WIlkerson - game changer

Richardson - DROY

Leo Williams - fastest DT in a decade

QW needs to play and have impact like Aaron Donald for the next decade, first ballot HOF or it's still a bad pick for the Jets (especially when they lose Leo)

Great story and QW seems like a great human being, his family will be set, lives changed forever once he signs that contract (+$30m guaranteed, not bad for one great year on the most talented defense in the NCAA) , we will see if there is anything left  - every pick in this draft is good reason Mac was fired, that said;

I hope QW is a superstar for the Jets!

That is so unfair to put the bar so high on Quiennen Williams like that.   If he doesn't produce like A Donald he was a bad pick.    The chances of him being that type of plAyer isn't very good. ( you're just setting yourself up for disappointment). He was a one year wonder in college ( playing against boys) , on stacked defense , and he finished with eight sacks .  He's going to come to the pro's (playing against grown men ) and be a potential 20  sack  guy.  

Jets have had some very dominating  DT's over the years , they just never were able to add the outside pass rusher to go with those DT's.     They had so many quality DT's they try to get them all on the field together by playing one out of position.     That's doesn't work.

J Polite has to be that outside pass rusher, if he isn't you can have all the talent you want at DT , and it isn't going to matter.    Jets haven't learned anything just loading up on DT's.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I think Nick Bosa is going to be monster on that Niners line.  Add him to Armstead, Buckner, & Ford...  I will be suprised if Kyler Murray lasts a full season in that division.

Cardinals are going to be terrible 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:46 PM, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I am sorry about Quinton Coples, sounds like you agreed with that pick, also seems you are sure that Quinnen Williams will be better - we can agree to disagree...

I would trade QW today for Garrett Bradbury and Greedy Williams and it's not close

QW >>>>> Jonah

Already. Without even a game being played

Sorry

Oh and stop trying to compare Jonah to Quentin Nelson.  Nelson is maybe the best Guard since Larry Allen and I loved him coming out of college as did anyone.  Jonah will be lucky to even have a career at all

• Upvote 1

Ed Oliver and Josh Allen are the two players I was hoping the Jets would take, so they’re the two I want to watch, especially Allen. It was weird seeing someone mocked in the top 3 for so long drop the way he did at the last minute.

We needed an edge guy so badly, I just hope the Jets didn’t over think things when they passed on him. I thought taking him was a no brainer.

I’m not in love with the QW pick, was never excited about him. But I’m no draft guru, and a lot of people here are happy with the pick, so hopefully it works out for the best.

23 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

We'll have a nice close up look of both Q and Oliver in week 1. I think (hope) Q.Williams is going to be a superstar but I really wanted to Jets to draft Oliver. I can't see how our OLine aside from Osemele is going to be able to handle him.

I'm looking forward to week 1 finally all these Ed Oliver truthers will be silenced. The guy might be good. Don't get me wrong and I think he will most likely be good, on any temm for that matter. BUT QW is alot better. At everything.

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ed Oliver and Josh Allen are the two players I was hoping the Jets would take, so they’re the two I want to watch, especially Allen. It was weird seeing someone mocked in the top 3 for so long drop the way he did at the last minute.

We needed an edge guy so badly, I just hope the Jets didn’t over think things when they passed on him. I thought taking him was a no brainer.

I’m not in love with the QW pick, was never excited about him. But I’m no draft guru, and a lot of people here are happy with the pick, so hopefully it works out for the best.

This explains alot.

He didn't really drop no one actually had him in the top three. Lot of smoke. 

I'm no draft guru either so what the hell do I know, but I think you are going to like the QW pick after the season is done. Specifically better than what you think we should have taken

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I'm looking forward to week 1 finally all these Ed Oliver truthers will be silenced. The guy might be good. Don't get me wrong and I think he will most likely be good, on any temm for that matter. BUT QW is alot better. At everything.

Sure hope so.

This thread was a really good idea by @jetstream23. The more I think about it, the more choices pop into my head.

Im going to change my first choice, and now go with Kyler Murray. Everything about him screams boom or bust to me, I have no idea which. Add in a HC with those same qualities, and his offense which we were flirting with bringing here this past winter.

I don’t think we’ll be getting a lot of Cardinal games on tv this year, but I think I’ll be glued to the ones we do.

• Upvote 1