What rookie would you bank on becoming a superstar for 5+ years?

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This thread was a really good idea by @jetstream23. The more I think about it, the more choices pop into my head.

Im going to change my first choice, and now go with Kyler Murray. Everything about him screams boom or bust to me, I have no idea which. Add in a HC with those same qualities, and his offense which we were flirting with bringing here this past winter.

I don’t think we’ll be getting a lot of Cardinal games on tv this year, but I think I’ll be glued to the ones we do.

Thanks.

When you think about "5+ years" that's when I think you have to lean towards some high risk/high reward guys as potential options.  For example, I think there's a chance that a guy like Montez Sweat could be a true superstar.  He was drafted in the teens for a variety of reasons, mostly medical if I remember correctly.  But it's those boom or bust guys that sometimes turn out to be the great ones.  Think about where Randy Moss was drafted.

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Thanks.

When you think about "5+ years" that's when I think you have to lean towards some high risk/high reward guys as potential options.  For example, I think there's a chance that a guy like Montez Sweat could be a true superstar.  He was drafted in the teens for a variety of reasons, mostly medical if I remember correctly.  But it's those boom or bust guys that sometimes turn out to be the great ones.  Think about where Randy Moss was drafted.

Good point. The draft is a still an unexact science. Brady being the poster boy to that.

Just the other day someone was talking about where Watt and Donald were drafted. That’s why I love the idea of this thread. The more you think about it, the more interesting and apparent the variables are. A really good player drafted into the wrong situation, might not turn out to perform as well as the one who ends up in the scheme that fits him best.

To that point the Pats TE pick (winonovich???) seems to be another put in an ideal situation., but who the heck knows?

On 7/14/2019 at 2:52 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I'm looking forward to week 1 finally all these Ed Oliver truthers will be silenced. The guy might be good. Don't get me wrong and I think he will most likely be good, on any temm for that matter. BUT QW is alot better. At everything.

Can’t we just agree both will be good?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Can’t we just agree both will be good?

Yes! I did, in my previous comment. Where we disagree is who will be great. Either way right or wrong about who will be great I really love the idea that these guys will get to Brady and what's the word I'm looking for ...

Smash 

Haha I can't wait

They said the exact same thing about Leo Williams.

As I said about Quinnen, considering this teams needs and other players out there.  This guy had better be more than just good.

Just have to pray that Gregg Williams can actually make use of these various players that play the same position.  Bowles sure couldn't.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, slats said:

I'd've taken Oliver over QW, but we'll see. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the employ Anderson, Williams, & Williams as a three-man front. QW on the nose? Don't know if that's really a superstar fit. I'd be looking to move these guys around on the line, maybe run a number of stunts. This is where Gregg Williams and Andre Carter will earn their money, making the best use of these guys. 

I don't see why QW can't play nose. He did that in college with great success. Not sure what you mean by superstar fit. If the Jets are going with a 3-4, QW at nose, with Leo and Henry on opposite sides and Polite lining up as an edge sounds pretty damn intimidating if I'm a QB.

Jenkins, Williamson and Mosley as the remaining LBs with Jamal roaming and Maye playing center field. I think this is the primary formation Gregg Williams will use, although on passing downs there will be a lot of Nickel packages.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2019 at 12:35 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Yes! I did, in my previous comment. Where we disagree is who will be great. Either way right or wrong about who will be great I really love the idea that these guys will get to Brady and what's the word I'm looking for ...

Smash 

Haha I can't wait

I think both can be great

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

I don't see why QW can't play nose. He did that in college with great success. Not sure what you mean by superstar fit. If the Jets are going with a 3-4, QW at nose, with Leo and Henry on opposite sides and Polite lining up as an edge sounds pretty damn intimidating if I'm a QB.

Jenkins, Williamson and Mosley as the remaining LBs with Jamal roaming and Maye playing center field. I think this is the primary formation Gregg Williams will use, although on passing downs there will be a lot of Nickel packages.  

QW is absolutely going to play a lot at Nose this year and he can do it

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

QW is absolutely going to play a lot at Nose this year and he can do it

He'll be playing much more 1 and 3. I'm not sure why so many here are convinced he's going to be lining up at 0 tech for considerable snaps. He's not built for that and that would be putting him in a position too fail. I'm sure Williams will deploy him properly. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, Peace Frog said:

Still bummed Jalen Hurd @Paradiswent 1 pick before Polite so now I'm REALLY hoping Polite becomes a pass rushing QB killing demon.  

Dude. First  game, preseason yes but regardless... walks away the star of the game. 

It’s just starting. This one is going to sting for years. 

• Upvote 1