Jump to content
Blackout

SPINOFF THREAD: Best Jets defense of all time?

Recommended Posts

Give me the championship team but 09 was amazing too

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Blackout said:

Give me the championship team but 09 was amazing too

The '68 D won us a super bowl, the '09 D blew a double digit lead in the AFC championship game.  

The 2009 D was mostly great but they blew numerous late game leads.  The 68 D blew 1 late game lead and in 1968 the O and STs of the Jets allowed an incredible 70 points yet they were still able to lead that team to the title though they got more offensive help than the 09 team.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nico002 said:

2009 D with Kris Jenkins healthy. 

You must be an excuse maker for PENNY.....    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

2009 D with Kris Jenkins healthy. 

If the first half of 2008 version of Jenkins was around for 09 that may have put us over the top.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, nico002 said:

2009 D with Kris Jenkins healthy. 

Which he sadly never was.. He played in just 7 games in the 09-10 season.. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is more interesting than the greatest offense thread. Lot more contenders.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

If the first half of 2008 version of Jenkins was around for 09 that may have put us over the top.  

Saw Jenkins later that year (after ACL year) on a rent a car shuttle in Charlotte airport. He was with his wife. He was much shorter than i thought he would be. Nice guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said in the other thread, I never got to see the 68 Jets so I'll go with 09.

#1 ranked defense in the league, and we had Revis post arguably the most dominant season by a corner ever. They pulled Sanchez who had a low 60 rating with almost double the INT's than TD's to the championship game. 

Let's also not forget guys like Harris, and Kris Jenkins on that team too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1987 I believe we had the NY Sack exchange and were it not for the Cleveland fiasco, who knows where that team would have gone. That roughing the passer should have been called on the blitzing DB who hit Kosar before Gastineau did btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

In my lifetime 09 Jets with revis just absolutely shutting down the opponents best wr and Harris being a tackling machine.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Revis got robbed by nostalgia for Woodson that year. Biggest snub in DPOY voting in my lifetime.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

1987 I believe we had the NY Sack exchange and were it not for the Cleveland fiasco, who knows where that team would have gone. That roughing the passer should have been called on the blitzing DB who hit Kosar before Gastineau did btw.

YES YES AND YES. The DB arrived a half second earlier but everyone only remembers Gatineau. I *think* Gatineau was called because hypothetically, coming in at an angle, he had a better view of the ball while the DB was bull charging head down up the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Revis got robbed by nostalgia for Woodson that year. Biggest snub in DPOY voting in my lifetime.

It was hilarious watching the DPOY Woodson and his overrated Packer defense give up 51 points to Arizona in their only playoff game (if I recall Warner threw more TDs than incompletions in that game) while Revis continued to blank receivers like Ochocinco and Vincent Jackson while intercepting both Palmer and Rivers in back to back weeks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The '68 D won us a super bowl, the '09 D blew a double digit lead in the AFC championship game.  

The 2009 D was mostly great but they blew numerous late game leads.  The 68 D blew 1 late game lead and in 1968 the O and STs of the Jets allowed an incredible 70 points yet they were still able to lead that team to the title though they got more offensive help than the 09 team.

They dragged a terrible rookie QB and overal anemic offense to the AFCC, 09 for sure

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2009 unit is easily the best Jets defense I have seen, but I wasn't alive for the 68 team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CTM said:

They dragged a terrible rookie QB and overal anemic offense to the AFCC, 09 for sure

The QB was good for a rookie and was very good in postseason.  The D blew as many games that year as the O and blew the AFC championship game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Which he sadly never was.. He played in just 7 games in the 09-10 season.. 

That was the only time in my life I thought the Jets had a real shot at the Super Bowl.  It was real...all the way up to when Jenkins got hurt. The rest of that season was a pleasant surprise as Pouha stepped up...but a healthy Jenkins would have put them over the top imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The QB was good for a rookie and was very good in postseason.  The D blew as many games that year as the O and blew the AFC championship game.  

This was the offensive production in the second half. It's nonsensical to say the D blew the game when the game was lost in the second half when the offense gained 110 yards while the game was in doubt. We were playing Peyton Manning at home, in a dome. Points were to be expected. A long scoring drive or any scoring drive wouldve recovered momentum.

 

7 3 15:00 NYJ 27 8 3:26 39 Missed FG
8 3 8:03 NYJ 30 6 3:39 21 Punt
9 3 2:09 NYJ 11 9 4:44 32 Punt
10 4 8:52 NYJ 20 3 0:50 5 Punt
11 4 2:29 NYJ 32 3 0:24 15 Interception
12 4 1:06 NYJ 10 5 1:06 45 End of Game
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HessStation said:

That was the only time in my life I thought the Jets had a real shot at the Super Bowl.  It was real...all the way up to when Jenkins got hurt. The rest of that season was a pleasant surprise as Pouha stepped up...but a healthy Jenkins would have put them over the top imo. 

I remember Jenkins tacking a whole backfield once. He was an immovable object and an unstoppable force. 

The term “beast” gets overused but not in his case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CTM said:

This was the offensive production in the second half. It's nonsensical to say the D blew the game when the game was lost in the second half when the offense gained 110 yards while the game was in doubt. We were playing Peyton Manning at home, in a dome. Points were to be expected. A long scoring drive or any scoring drive wouldve recovered momentum.

 

7 3 15:00 NYJ 27 8 3:26 39 Missed FG
8 3 8:03 NYJ 30 6 3:39 21 Punt
9 3 2:09 NYJ 11 9 4:44 32 Punt
10 4 8:52 NYJ 20 3 0:50 5 Punt
11 4 2:29 NYJ 32 3 0:24 15 Interception
12 4 1:06 NYJ 10 5 1:06 45 End of Game

We had a double digit lead facing a legendary choming QB who led his O to an average of around 14 points in all his playoff losses.  

What you fail to mention in that second half is that Shonn Greene left after the first series so we had no threat of a run game (Thomas Jones was hurt and shot) against 2 premiere pass rushers in a dome with a rookie QB.

We had all the momentum, the O scored 2 TDs and we had a 14-6 lead then the D created a TO and we were up 17-6 late in the first half.  What does the D do?  Allows a 4 play, 80 yard TD drive in less than a minute giving Indy all the momentum going into the half down only 4.

We got the ball to begin the second half, had a nice drive that ended with a missed FG. Indy takes over and 3 minutes later the lead was gone for good and Indy could have kept scoring if they wanted to.  They mercifully stopped at 30.  You think it's fair to expect a rookie QB (or really any QB) to have to lead his O to more than 30 on the road to win?

We were led by our D, our D failed in the biggest game of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We had a double digit lead facing a legendary choming QB who led his O to an average of around 14 points in all his playoff losses.  

That's creative. Why are you relegating the stat just to playoff losses, particularly considering this was a win.

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

What you fail to mention in that second half is that Shonn Greene left after the first series so we had no threat of a run game (Thomas Jones was hurt and shot) against 2 premiere pass rushers in a dome with a rookie QB.

That actually supports my primary point, that the offense was anemic and did nothing in the second half to help the defense that was facing an elite QB at home, in a dome.

I completely agree that we would've won that game had we not lost Shonn Greene, which again, supports my point. So thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CTM said:

That's creative. Why are you relegating the stat just to playoff losses, particularly considering this was a win.

That actually supports my primary point, that the offense was anemic and did nothing in the second half to help the defense that was facing an elite QB at home, in a dome.

I completely agree that we would've won that game had we not lost Shonn Greene, which again, supports my point. So thanks!

Honestly breaking down entire unit performances over the course of a season by looking at one half of football seems silly. Lito Shephard was the weak link of the defense and Peyton exposed him.  The offense didnt do sh*t in the second half either. Shonn Greene left the game with a booboo if I remember correctly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CTM said:

They dragged a terrible rookie QB and overal anemic offense to the AFCC, 09 for sure

No defense, at least in this era, can overcome an offense that goes 3-and-out consistently.  The greatest defense in today's NFL is an offense that can get 1st downs on the ground, late in the game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CTM said:

This was the offensive production in the second half. It's nonsensical to say the D blew the game when the game was lost in the second half when the offense gained 110 yards while the game was in doubt. We were playing Peyton Manning at home, in a dome. Points were to be expected. A long scoring drive or any scoring drive wouldve recovered momentum.

 

7 3 15:00 NYJ 27 8 3:26 39 Missed FG
8 3 8:03 NYJ 30 6 3:39 21 Punt
9 3 2:09 NYJ 11 9 4:44 32 Punt
10 4 8:52 NYJ 20 3 0:50 5 Punt
11 4 2:29 NYJ 32 3 0:24 15 Interception
12 4 1:06 NYJ 10 5 1:06 45 End of Game

The Sanchez defense is that, if ever, at any point in the game, the team is winning, then the team should win.  Never mind the fact that the game is designed to score points, and there's tons of time left on the clock.

I don't have the stats on hand, but I'd pointed out in one of these debates years ago, in most of these playoff games, we'd held the opposing offenses to below their averages for the season, and we'd scored below the opposing defenses averages for the season.  In other words, our defense did better than should have been expected and our offense did worse.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Grandy said:

Like I said in the other thread, I never got to see the 68 Jets so I'll go with 09.

#1 ranked defense in the league, and we had Revis post arguably the most dominant season by a corner ever. They pulled Sanchez who had a low 60 rating with almost double the INT's than TD's to the championship game. 

Let's also not forget guys like Harris, and Kris Jenkins on that team too.

If we should be so lucky that Darnold turns into a Top 10 type QB in this league then it makes running an attacking defense so much fun.  Putting the other team down by two scores in the 4th Quarter of games really lets you unleash some things on a team forced to pass the ball.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CTM said:

That's creative. Why are you relegating the stat just to playoff losses, particularly considering this was a win.

That actually supports my primary point, that the offense was anemic and did nothing in the second half to help the defense that was facing an elite QB at home, in a dome.

I completely agree that we would've won that game had we not lost Shonn Greene, which again, supports my point. So thanks!

I don't think we would have won even if Greene stayed in, I don't think our O was built to win a game scoring 30+ points in a game like that.  Most offenses aren't.  I know NE did it last year but I wonder how many teams have won road championship games needing to score 30+?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's pretend you were given this circumstance:

You have a very strong defense.

You are facing the leagues #2 passing offense in yards, #1 in TDs, and #1 in passing 1st downs.  Top 10 in total points and yards.

You have an 11 point lead with 2:00 left in the 1st half.

You won't score another point.

You will only get 9 more 1st downs in the 32 minutes of football.

So, who feels like there's a good chance you win this game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Honestly breaking down entire unit performances over the course of a season by looking at one half of football seems silly. Lito Shephard was the weak link of the defense and Peyton exposed him.  The offense didnt do sh*t in the second half either. Shonn Greene left the game with a booboo if I remember correctly.

Was it Lito Sheppard?  My recollection was that it was the nickel CB, Strickland hurt his hamstring and they feasted on Lowery and, to a lesser extent Coleman.  Guess Sheppard must have sucked too because Garcon and Collie both went off.  I know Sheppard was dinged, so maybe his sucking wasn't an all year thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Was it Lito Sheppard?  My recollection was that it was the nickel CB, Strickland hurt his hamstring and they feasted on Lowery and, to a lesser extent Coleman.  Guess Sheppard must have sucked too because Garcon and Collie both went off.  I know Sheppard was dinged, so maybe his sucking wasn't an all year thing. 

Yea I think this is right. I remember one critical stretch in the second or third quarter where Peyton completed like 4 straight passes to the guy coleman was covering. Incredibly frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Was it Lito Sheppard?  My recollection was that it was the nickel CB, Strickland hurt his hamstring and they feasted on Lowery and, to a lesser extent Coleman.  Guess Sheppard must have sucked too because Garcon and Collie both went off.  I know Sheppard was dinged, so maybe his sucking wasn't an all year thing. 

I'm pretty sure multiple DBs went down during that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Was it Lito Sheppard?  My recollection was that it was the nickel CB, Strickland hurt his hamstring and they feasted on Lowery and, to a lesser extent Coleman.  Guess Sheppard must have sucked too because Garcon and Collie both went off.  I know Sheppard was dinged, so maybe his sucking wasn't an all year thing. 

COLEMAN and cole are joe remember it. Peyton was throwing absolute lasers past tight coverage by our nickle and dime DB’s. We played well that game. Peyton played lights out in the second half.

I was honestly believing we were going to the Super Bowl in the first half. That TD right before the half sucked the air out of the room I was In with 200 other jets fans. It went silent and I think we all knew it was about to go SOJ in the second half. So sad.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jgb said:

YES YES AND YES. The DB arrived a half second earlier but everyone only remembers Gatineau. I *think* Gatineau was called because hypothetically, coming in at an angle, he had a better view of the ball while the DB was bull charging head down up the middle.

okay but i swear i saw mcneil get face masked on a play that would've iced the game for the jets had it been called.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, nico002 said:

2009 D with Kris Jenkins healthy. 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...