Silence Is Golden

KRL

This is the most excited about a football season since the 09 and 2010 season. Maybe it's just naive optimism since I'm relatively young and don't understand true pain and heartache but this year have a confident different vibe to it.

Darnold practicing against an aggressive Williams defense in practice is going to accelerate his development by a good amount. I still have flashbacks to week 3 of last year in Cleveland how the whole offense struggled, obviously the Jets don't have a Garrett level pass rusher but the scheme is the same. It's going to be a good year to be a Jets fan.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

This is the most excited about a football season since the 09 and 2010 season. Maybe it's just naive optimism since I'm relatively young and don't understand true pain and heartache but this year have a confident different vibe to it.

Darnold practicing against an aggressive Williams defense in practice is going to accelerate his development by a good amount. I still have flashbacks to week 3 of last year in Cleveland how the whole offense struggled, obviously the Jets don't have a Garrett level pass rusher but the scheme is the same. It's going to be a good year to be a Jets fan.

there a few reasons for optimism but the main one is we have a young QB with the potential to be the franchise QB we have been looking for since Joe Namath.  its all about the QB

• Upvote 1

I love the up tempo offensive scheme you saw Gase running in mini camp. As Jet fans, we've been watching defenses dictate to our impotent offenses. For once I'd love to see our offense dictate & force defenses into Chinese fire drills trying to match up to what we're doing.

• Upvote 4

Honestly, I have been watching this team for 30+ years. I have seen this hype machine before and I have seen us load up like this before. The difference here is Darnold  who I believe is the real deal. It is my belief a QB like Darnold can cover up a lot of your teams warts. Gase is a breath of fresh air after we have had so many defensive minded HC's, we haven't  had a presence like Williams  at DC since Belichick, and Douglas hopefully is as good as advertised and gets us sone real talent. I'm not sure the stars all aligned  for us and we have this All Star front office and CS, but I'm more hopeful about them that a lot of other years. 

• Upvote 2

I don't know if the golden years of Jets football are ahead of us but I can say that it feels good to actually be excited about the team.

My formative years as a Jets fan were 1997-2010, which frankly, is the second best period in team history and actually featured more winning than losing. In that stretch we had 10 winning seasons in 14 years, made the playoffs 50% of the time, and went to the AFC Title Game three times.

By contrast, the 2011-2018 period has been brutal and had really started to sap my enthusiasm for the team. I'm probably too old to be emotionally invested in the team like I was when I was a kid but it really does feel like the potential for a new era in Jets football is upon us... It's all about Darnold really, but other things do seem to be clicking into place.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

What you need for success in the NFL:

1- Franchise QB- Darnold has the arm, brains, skill, awareness & legs to be a special talent. 

2- Head Coach/Mentor- Look at the successful teams now, Brady + BB, Brees + Payton, Mahomes + Reid, Goff + McVay.

3- Front office stability. Joe Douglas brings a wealth of knowledge & connections to transform the way we approach the draft, free agency & trades. 

4- Defense- Pats won another Super Bowl with defense. Jets brought in Gregg Williams & outside of an iffy CB position have a lot of very good defensive players. The offense scoring more points will be a huge help.

5- The next 2 years will be about fixing CB & Oline and surrounding Sam with the best & most explosive offensive team we can put together. Adding Bell, Montgomery, KO & Crowder are huge upgrades on offense, plus Quincy back healthy, drafting Chuma & Wesco, Shell and Beachum back healthy, Harrison who can actually snap the ball, Herndon ascending, plus usually a 2nd tier guy surprises (Dortch?). 

Very excited. Bowles went backwards, I think this Coaching crew gets a lot more out of this group. Bowles lost this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

A proactive rather than reactive defense is what I'm looking forward to most (outside of the progression of Darnold of course).  Haven't really seen an attacking D since Rex ran the show.  Despite Bowles often leading the league in blitz % I just never really felt like we were threatening.  I want offenses to fear our defense, to feel like the Jets have too many players coming at them (CJ, Jamal, Quinnen, Leo, etc.).  I want opponents to have to make major sacrifices like not being able to double-team all the players they'd like to.  And, even though most of us feel that CB is the weakness on the D there's a chance that the pass rush and scheming of Williams will really negate that.

I'm enjoying the silence....before the storm.

• Upvote 2

Like every Jet season before, this season has a chance at ending in a disaster.

However for the first time in a long time, I actually feel that success is more likely than a dumpster fire. We have a QB with more potential than any other Jet QB before him. With all of the skills and abilities to become Superstar. We have the RB with the most scrimmage YPG in NFL history. We have the most competent and reputable FO since Parcells. We have our first offensive HC in decades. We have a multitude of at least solid pass catchers for our QB to use. 

I know I haven't mentioned the defense, however I don't think they are what is going to define this team. The core of this team's talent and expertise seems to reside on the offensive side of the ball. Which is unheard of for the Jets. 

I dunno, this team just feels different than it has been in years past. Can't say for sure if it'll end up being a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm leaning towards good. 

This season will be extremely important for the future of this team, and I believe that it'll be a real fun one.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

With the football dead period it may be slow on the board BUT for once its terrific
that there is absolute silence about the Jets as we approach camp:

- No off the field incidents (knock on wood)

- A respected front office in place

- A HC in place who appears to have a flexible system where he'll adjust it to the
talent on the roster

- An aggressive DC who will actually attack an offense

- And most importantly a 22 year old potential franchise QB

It should be a fun summer

And, almost literally nowhere for us to go but up.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

What you need for success in the NFL:

4- Defense- Pats won another Super Bowl with defense. Jets brought in Gregg Williams 

What do these two things have to do with each other? Gregg Williams defenses have ranked in the bottom half of the league since the mid-2000s and since he returned to the NFL, he's only been ranked 1-2 spots above Bowles/Rodgers

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Ummmm...we just had a hurricane hit the entire franchise but sure, it's nice and quiet now.

Thanks for this post.

Im reading this thread and I’m thinking, wait we fired our HC, then hired Gase, who had the flying taco press conference. Crazy free agent period where we failed to get the center and edge rush we talked about all last year. Then the draft, chock full of why isn’t Macc trading down stuff, and still no C and ER.

Then the new HC stages an in house coup, has the GM fired AFTER the draft, and assumes full control of the organization by hand picking his new GM. All before he ever coaches a game.

Yep, just another quiet offseason and lazy hazy summer break for the NYJ....

• Haha 1

Every team in this league is a few injuries from disaster. Health is one of the most important aspects of vying for the playoffs. There are juggernauts in this league anymore except those pesky Patriots. Jets have just as much chance as any other in the AFC in 2019. This team gave up leads to Browns, Green Bay, the Texans, they could easily of been 8-8 with a rookie QB. Hell, Sam gave them those leads & the defense imploded.

Pats lost their LT, they're best Pass Rusher & Gronk retired. Edelman is 34 & one slip away from another ACL tear. Don't sit on Gronks blocking ability, the guy was also the best blocking TE in football. Plus we got rid of that pussy Todd I PUNT DOWN 3 SCORES FROM MIDFIELD in the 4th quarter Bowles. I see Gase being very aggressive with Darnold. We might even see a hurry up offense at times, could you imagine the Jets doing that?

• Upvote 1

some great quotes i read this past week on silence:

Only speak when your words are better than your silence.
Arabic Proverb

In seeking wisdom, the first
step is silence; the second,
listening; the third,
remembering; the fourth,
practicing; the fifth, teaching
others.
Solomon ben Yehuda ibn
Gabirol

Nothing so stirs a man’s
conscience or excites his
curiosity as a woman’s