Some Jets "news"

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Dortch- he looks like he has jukes, but does he have the speed to be our PR/KR guy?

He didn't time that well (not sure if due to recovering from an injury), but being 5'7/173, he needs to be able to do something unique that makes him standout. Since he probably ain't gonna grow much more, he needs to have some wheels.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

New regime no allegiances, i like to hear some of this stuff.  So glad mac is gone but even moreso bowles, just a dreadful coach all around.

If true (as reported), the funny thing is Webb is from the "old regime" and Siemian is a Gase acquisition (even though Macc was here when they signed him).

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

New regime no allegiances, i like to hear some of this stuff.  So glad mac is gone but even moreso bowles, just a dreadful coach all around.

This ^.  

Under the prior regime, I had no confidence that players were being evaluated objectively.  Hopefully Douglas and Gase can let players compete fairly for positions.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

If true (as reported), the funny thing is Webb is from the "old regime" and Siemian is a Gase acquisition (even though Macc was here when they signed him).

Yeah it tells me if it is true that our new regime is not going to just say 'this is our guy thus we favor him' if the other player is better.

I am surprised by the Webb comment as I thought that he stinks pretty bad.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Have you seen tape of him playing?

Dude is shifty as hell and makes things happen on the field. 

This is what I am saying...he  IS SHIFTY, but in the NFL EVERYONE is quicker on average on the field than what he faced...  its not a condemnation or asseriton that he cannot make it, its a question that his pre-season and teh coaches decision will determine.

fwiw, Deontay timed like 4.7's, so...   again ...ikst what happens between the lines that counts...

we shall see....    

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

This is what I am saying...he  IS SHIFTY, but in the NFL EVERYONE is quicker on average on the field than what he faced...  its not a condemnation or asseriton that he cannot make it, its a question that his pre-season and teh coaches decision will determine.

fwiw, Deontay timed like 4.7's, so...   again ...ikst what happens between the lines that counts...

we shall see....    

Agree

4 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

He still had good games vs others.  Its not like he was a 3 game wonder. 

He did, but as Losmeister said, he's stepping up in class where almost everyone is as fast, or faster, than what he saw in college. That's the one thing just about all rookies say about the difference between the NFL & college....the speed of the game

Screw straight line speed, when your 5'-7" 173, it's cuts & quick acceleration that matters. I had a friend when I was a kid who could start & stop on a dime. It's about great feet & if he can run great routes & cut on a dime that's much harder to handle. God sakes, Julian Edelman is making a living & winning accolades, Super Bowl MVP because he cuts on a dime. He's definitely NOT the fastest WR in the league but he's almost unstoppable at times. 

Julian Edelman- Kent State QB. You just never know in this league?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Dortch replaces Cannon 

This is the most likely outcome.  The Jets aren't keeping both Dortch and Cannon IMO, although Brant Boyer spoke very highly of Cannon if I remember correctly in those positional coach press conferences about a month ago.  Maybe Cannon makes the 53 and Dortch to the PS?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

For what it's worth at this time of year (from Connor Hughes):

Jets QB Trevor Siemian was jumped by Davis Webb on the depth chart late in OTAs.

According to Connor Hughes of The Athletic, the Jets are currently more confident in Webb than Siemian if Darnold were to go down with an injury. At the time of Siemian's signing, it was assumed that the backup job was his, but the backup battle is apparently closer than anticipated. The duo will fight it out during training camp and in the preseason.

Related:

Davis Webb

Source: The Athletic

Jul 9, 2019, 3:00 PM ET

De'Angelo Henderson RB, New York Jets

Jets RB De'Angelo Henderson was stealing reps from Elijah McGuire in OTAs.

There is a battle between Henderson, McGuire, and Trenton Cannon for the assumed fourth active running back spot. McGuire and Cannon were both drafted by the Jets, Henderson wasn't, but the new coaching staff isn't likely to play favorites. The trio of backs will be battling it out in training camp and in the preseason. All three are names to keep in the back of your mind for preseason DFS but are obviously way off the re-draft radar.

Related:

Trenton Cannon

, Elijah McGuire

Jul 9, 2019, 2:52 PM ET

Greg Dortch WR, New York Jets

The Athletic's Connor Hughes believes undrafted rookie WR Greg Dortch is in a "prime position to make the 53-man roster."

Dortch (5'7/173) is an undersized slot receiver with returning experience. At Wake Forest, Dortch caught 89 passes and had the sixth most punt return yards (276) in college football. Dortch ultimately went undrafted after running a 4.59-second 40-yard dash at 173 pounds. It's unlikely Dortch is more than a special teamer and depth option in the NFL.

Jul 9, 2019, 2:47 PM ET

If Webb outplayed him great! If true, this coach staff as already done what some of us fans have been begging for, let the players earn the spot and letting us settle on guys, just because you are supposed to be the back up qb doesn't mean you will be if you get outplayed. For far too long starters and back ups just get pigeon holed into the roster with no fear or losing there spot. guys being help on to for not reason.

Hopefully more of this type of thing during the season. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah it tells me if it is true that our new regime is not going to just say 'this is our guy thus we favor him' if the other player is better.

I am surprised by the Webb comment as I thought that he stinks pretty bad.

Why?  Because Gentleman didn't like him?

During the OTA's and mini camps a few of the scribes mentioned that he looked really good.  I was surprised when everyone kept on bashing him.

Actually I thought Webb was a great pick in the 3rd to sit behind Eli for 2 years.  Was really surprised when the Giants cut him, and real happy when the Jets signed him.  IMO Webb has all the tools to be a good NFL QB

• Upvote 4

Dortch is tiny.  Wake Forest announced his time as 4.46, but I think they officially had it at 4.59.  That is why you can't trust pro days.  The combine has electronic timing and everybody runs on the same track.  He is shifty and a solid punt returner.  Edelman ran a 4.52, but his 3 cone and shuttle times were .27 and .16 faster.  That is off the charts - sort of like what got everyone on Welker. 

Burnett was 188 at the combine, but down to 177 at his pro day.  He might not be any bigger. Burnett ran a 4.70, but he was supposedly at 80% from a hamstring injury. No matter, he is no burner.  I give Dortch an edge in that matchup based on special teams ability and YAC. 

Sources Tell Us

"Our philosophy values production and roster versatility. When you look at his per game production during his career against what we consider quality competition and then add his return value, it pushes him up probably a good round." - NFC director of college scouting

FWIW, that quote sounds like most of what I have read about Douglas. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the most likely outcome.  The Jets aren't keeping both Dortch and Cannon IMO, although Brant Boyer spoke very highly of Cannon if I remember correctly in those positional coach press conferences about a month ago.  Maybe Cannon makes the 53 and Dortch to the PS?

Why is it Dortch vs. Cannon?  They lost Roberts who was the punt returner.  His slot is open.   I see it more as him vs. Peake and Burnett. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why do you like to hear it?  New regime doesn't mean no allegiances.  It just means no allegiances to the stiffs that were drafted here.  As they bring in their own stiffs, they have new allegiances. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why do you like to hear it?  New regime doesn't mean no allegiances.  It just means no allegiances to the stiffs that were drafted here.  As they bring in their own stiffs, they have new allegiances. 

Simian was brought in with gase here.  Now they say he may be 3rd.  See the difference?

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Why?  Because Gentleman didn't like him?

During the OTA's and mini camps a few of the scribes mentioned that he looked really good.  I was surprised when everyone kept on bashing him.

Actually I thought Webb was a great pick in the 3rd to sit behind Eli for 2 years.  Was really surprised when the Giants cut him, and real happy when the Jets signed him.  IMO Webb has all the tools to be a good NFL QB

No because he looked pure awful leading up to the draft.  Big arm, hackenburg accuracy at the time.  I'll be shocked if he is accurate enough to do anything.