NY Jets Training Camp Battles To Watch

Sam Darnold

The Jets will open up training camp later this month and Chris Gardella is back and discusses some players to watch. Joe Douglas and Adam Gase have decisions to make on players they inherited from Mike Maccagnanan, like Nathan Shepherd, Trenton Cannon, Jeremy Clark and Derrick Jones.

Please give Chris Gardella a follow on Twitter and Subscribe to JetNation on YouTube.

Be sure to check out this video and let us know what you think by leaving a comment in our NY Jets forum.

The post NY Jets Training Camp Battles To Watch appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Vk5kFDmY7UY

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

I agree with just about all said in this video. Shepard was just another lousy Mac pick. Way too early. He’s a perfect 5th or 6th rounder. Especially with all the D line talent we have. Maybe we can get a 7th for Shep but seems like he’s a goner. Cannon is out also. Don’t see him sticking. I think both the corners Jones and Clark have a good chance to stick but I’m thinking 1 might be gone not both. Any of these cuts wouldn’t really be a surprise but I’m betting there will be a real surprise cut sometime this summer. Who I don’t know but it will be another Mac wasted pick. 

6 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I agree with just about all said in this video. Shepard was just another lousy Mac pick. Way too early. He’s a perfect 5th or 6th rounder. Especially with all the D line talent we have. Maybe we can get a 7th for Shep but seems like he’s a goner. Cannon is out also. Don’t see him sticking. I think both the corners Jones and Clark have a good chance to stick but I’m thinking 1 might be gone not both. Any of these cuts wouldn’t really be a surprise but I’m betting there will be a real surprise cut sometime this summer. Who I don’t know but it will be another Mac wasted pick. 

People keep lumping Jones and Clark in together, but Clark has already been cut,  He spent last season on the practice squad and was only added back in December.  I think he injured his ACL in September of 2016.  It is a new regime, so I guess there is a chance they will like him, but the Browns with our new DC Gregg Williams snatched up Juston Burris while Clark was available to poach.  Jones has been ahead of Clark all along, though I think the Jones optimism is of the backup QB variety.

Just now, Jack Straw said:

A few of them are: Devin White, Devin Bush, Shaq Griffin, Darron Lee, Gary Johnson, Mychal Kendrick, Bruce Irvin.

i can attest to the fact that at least one of  those players played nowhere remotely close to that 4.4 time

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I agree with just about all said in this video. Shepard was just another lousy Mac pick. Way too early. He’s a perfect 5th or 6th rounder. Especially with all the D line talent we have. Maybe we can get a 7th for Shep but seems like he’s a goner.

I agree on Shepherd.  The numbers game may work against him because the Jets may not have time or patience to develop him on a group this talented, although the Practice Squad wouldn't necessarily be a bad spot for him.  Can't see the Jets putting 2 DLinemen on the PS though and Fatukasi might compete for that PS spot.

The one thing I'll challenge you on (and I do the same thing) is saying that he'd be "a perfect 5th or 6th rounder."  If that's the case and he's worth using a 5th/6th round pick on then I think we'd still want to keep him, especially if we're thinking we may need some depth bodies following the possible departure of Leo Williams (FA/Trade?) and McClendon (retirement, waived?) in 2020.  We know Henry Anderson and QW will be here for at least a few more years.  Who sits behind them?

Cannon is out also. Don’t see him sticking.

I think Cannon is at risk too, especially with a guy like Dortch getting an opportunity.  The only thing I keep coming back to about Cannon is that he seems to have the support of Brant Boyer, the ST coach.  At Boyer's one and only presser earlier this summer he went out of his way to praise Cannon, not just as a returner but as a Special Teams tackler.  I'll try to find the interview and add it to this post.

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree on Shepherd.  The numbers game may work against him because the Jets may not have time or patience to develop him on a group this talented, although the Practice Squad wouldn't necessarily be a bad spot for him.  Can't see the Jets putting 2 DLinemen on the PS though and Fatukasi might compete for that PS spot.

The one thing I'll challenge you on (and I do the same thing) is saying that he'd be "a perfect 5th or 6th rounder."  If that's the case and he's worth using a 5th/6th round pick on then I think we'd still want to keep him, especially if we're thinking we may need some depth bodies following the possible departure of Leo Williams (FA/Trade?) and McClendon (retirement, waived?) in 2020.  We know Henry Anderson and QW will be here for at least a few more years.  Who sits behind them?

I think Cannon is at risk too, especially with a guy like Dortch getting an opportunity.  The only thing I keep coming back to about Cannon is that he seems to have the support of Brant Boyer, the ST coach.  At Boyer's one and only presser earlier this summer he went out of his way to praise Cannon, not just as a returner but as a Special Teams tackler.  I'll try to find the interview and add it to this post.

I'm pretty much on the same page here. However, I will say that I would not be surprised if Shepherd came out and really impressed in camp. This is one of those picks where I just don't get how this guy can't go out there and be a disruptive force on the football field. I'm very much 50/50 on him as far as making the team. 

Cannon will have an uphill battle simply b/c of the RB depth. It depends on how many RBs the Jets decide to keep and on Bilals health, IMO. I think McGuire and Montgomery are locks. That's just me. I know there are some on here that think Powel and/or Cannon are more likely to make the roster than McGuire but I completely disagree with that. To me it comes down to whether the Jets will keep 4 RBs (I think they will) and whether Powell will be healthy and look good in camp. If he does, Cannon is odd man out.  

The most competitive positions will the D-line, LB, RB and WR. 

The Jets have a lot of guys that are locks on the D-line (Leo, QW, HA, McLendon, Polite) so the battle for those last couple of spots will be intense. Basham, Alexandre, Phillips, Shepherd, Fatukasi and Kaufusi come to mind as the main candidates for backup roles. 

LB: The Jets brought in a slew of young guys to fight for backup roles at the LB position. With CJ, Williamson, Jenkins, and Copeland as the projected starters (assuming a 3-4), and Cashman a 5th round rookie, there are maybe only a couple of spots left for backups. The guys the Jets have who will be fighting for those spots all play like their hair is on fire. Should be fun to see them compete. Specifically, I would keep an eye on Allison, Hewitt, Wint and Luvu. We've seen some flashes from Hewitt, Wint and Luvu (which is why they stuck around last year) but my dark horse is Allison. I just love the tape on this kid. He plays all out and has his nose around the ball at all times. 

RB we have talked ad nauseum about. 

WR is interesting because the last couple of spots will probably be given to the guys that can contribute on special teams. Once again, you have 4 guys who are IMO locks (Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnett), leaving probably 2 spots max for depth. The guys fighting for those spots will have to show that they can contribute in special teams as returners or on the coverage team- Dortch, QHenderson, Thompson, Bellamy, JJ Jones- I'm pretty sure all of these guys have experience on special teams in one capacity or another. Even Peake, who I think will be a long shot to make the team. So it will be fun to see who breaks through as a solid special team contributor to make the roster. 

On 7/11/2019 at 11:54 AM, BettyBoop said:

I just hope the guys who have not shown anything so far are given a chance with some real coaching.  Maybe they stink, maybe they don't, but I'm not ready to give up on Sheppard, Jones, Clark, Nickerson, Cannon or McGuire.  

Why do you have to be the reasonable one?  Don't you realize this is Jet Nation where you get 15 minutes to show what you can do or you are shown the door?   Patience?  We don't need no stinkin' Patience! 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:25 AM, Embrace the Suck said:

Nice presentation JetNation. If the near empty mini bar in the video doesn't scream "I bleed green" then I don't know what does.

bar  :ahhh:

cheers ~ ~

:beer: