Gil Brandt suggests (not reports) that Jets bring back CB Morris Claiborne

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

claiborne is still sitting which means he's not that good or his asking price is too high.  we'll see how it all pans out.  i suspect there will be equal or better corners coming free during the training camp cut downs.

That's the real question; with the Jets so needy at CB its a virtual certainty that there will be players available after cuts that can help this team.  I also wonder what perspective Joe Douglas brings to this and whether he's already working the phones on anything from potential waivers to maybe even a trade.

17 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I thought I read (when free agency started) that he is recovering from an injury and/or surgery. Maybe not recovering as well as hoped hence the lack of interest?

Yeah , Macc had said it was an "undisclosed" medical problem.  Often a code for rehab.  I don't know that, but it seems to fit.

I hope it gets done at some point.  

It seems they’re going to sink or swim with the kids on defense, which is smart. Throwing cash at journeyman players to get the team from six wins to eight wins is how you stay mediocre. Let Roberts and Nickerson put up or shut up and, if they fail this year, who cares? Don’t chase your own dick.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That's the real question; with the Jets so needy at CB its a virtual certainty that there will be players available after cuts that can help this team.  I also wonder what perspective Joe Douglas brings to this and whether he's already working the phones on anything from potential waivers to maybe even a trade.

There one cut down date  from 90 to 53 man roster.       You really want to go into season counting on a CB just added to your team a week before the season starts.   The Jets should just go with youth at CB, and see what they have .

How much is Claiborne upgrading the CB group.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It seems they’re going to sink or swim with the kids on defense, which is smart. Throwing cash at journeyman players to get the team from six wins to eight wins is how you stay mediocre. Let Roberts and Nickerson put up or shut up and, if they fail this year, who cares? Don’t chase your own dick.

Orrrr...we have money to burn on a 1 year contract (no future cap ramifications) on a professional CB and 2 extra wins gets you from 8 to 10 wins and you...make the playoffs?

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Orrrr...we have money to burn on a 1 year contract (no future cap ramifications) on a professional CB and 2 extra wins gets you from 8 to 10 wins and you...make the playoffs?

Claiborne = 2 extra wins = 10-6 = playoffs

I wonder. Why is it not one GM in the entire NFL realizes this?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You missed @T0mShane ‘s narrative. 

I didn’t impute 2 wins to him. 

The Tominator did. 

Try to keep up my little Giant fan friend. 

I’ve noticed that you’ve decided to appoint yourself judge and jury when it come to deciding whether someone is a Jets fan or not in just about every thread lately.

Somebody, I don’t remember who, called you out for this yesterday, but here you go again. If this is your new thing, and you feel comfortable playing that snarky jackass role, go for it. The Giant fan remark doesn’t bother me, it’s an infantile remark that’s water rolling off my back.

Just don’t call me your friend while doing it, because I’m not. That “internet tough guy” crap always rings hollow. You’re a grown man. Don’t act like a child.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’ve noticed that you’ve decided to appoint yourself judge and jury when it come to deciding whether someone is a Jets fan or not in just about every thread lately.

Somebody, I don’t remember who, called you out for this yesterday, but here you go again. If this is your new thing, and you feel comfortable playing that snarky jackass role, go for it. The Giant fan remark doesn’t bother me, it’s an infantile remark that’s water rolling off my back.

Just don’t call me your friend while doing it, because I’m not. That “internet tough guy” crap always rings hollow. You’re a grown man. Don’t act like a child.

I’m a total jackass. And I’m certainly not an “internet tough guy”. Such a stupid phrase. 

You sound like a total Giant fan. 

Nothing wrong with that. 

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

In all honesty, I didn’t realize you were a Giant fan until several other posters pointed it out and I just connected the dots. 

Parroted, as it were.

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

In all honesty, I didn’t realize you were a Giant fan until several other posters pointed it out and I just connected the dots. 

Parroted, as it were.

Gee you’re too clever. You figured it out.

Just do me a favor, don’t tell everyone here about me and the Giants fan thing. I’m trying to fool them with the screen name.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed I'm very curious to see what we do. Macc would just resign him and probably overpay. What I hope is that we bring in another guy even same talent wise but young hungry, gives us a chance at upside

On 7/11/2019 at 5:27 PM, rangerous said:

claiborne is still sitting which means he's not that good or his asking price is too high.  we'll see how it all pans out.  i suspect there will be equal or better corners coming free during the training camp cut downs.

Asking price is too high but guess what we have $35 million in cap room

The only offer that I have heard he got was a 1 year vet minimum deal with the bucs. I think he is worth more than that?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 7/11/2019 at 5:22 PM, jetstream23 said:

I love Gil Brandt, maybe because he has always been fair to the Jets.  Jets are trimming Claiborne's salary request and he is waiting for someone to get hurt.  If they do sign him, watch him pull a hammy first week.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, T0mShane said:

What's the deal with Blessuan Austin? I know there was a lot of speculation that he was going to open the season on IR, but he did run the 40 at the combine back in March. Maybe he's coming along... ? 

That said, the Jets' CBs scare me more than the OL. Only they know (I hope) if they have enough horses at the position. If they're happy with the kids, great! If they suspect they don't -or someone gets hurt- I hope they do bring Claiborne back. He played well here. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

What's the deal with Blessuan Austin? I know there was a lot of speculation that he was going to open the season on IR, but he did run the 40 at the combine back in March. Maybe he's coming along... ? 

That said, the Jets' CBs scare me more than the OL. Only they know (I hope) if they have enough horses at the position. If they're happy with the kids, great! If they suspect they don't -or someone gets hurt- I hope they do bring Claiborne back. He played well here. 

I think a good example of this is the Packers game last year. The OL wasn't great but Darnold was running around making plays. Defense couldn't close it out at the end there. The Texans game was similar--last drive, those WRs ate us up.  Maybe you could blame those events on the play calling, but your point is still true. I'd breathe a sigh of relief if I came on here one day and saw that we signed Mo back, but I understand the hesitation if he is dealing with something serious like going to rehab as speculated earlier in this thread. If healthy, I think he's our best option to add some depth sans a trade. 

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Claibornes PFF for 2018 was 62.7 which is pretty average. Im sure the Jets don't wanna pay his price for average but it might come down to necessity.

Somehow Trumaine Johnson had a 74.9. Why do I feel he looked worse than Mo? Weird.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Damn.  Totally forgotten about Austin.  It will be fitting if he actually turns into a decent player as some sort of quirky goodbye gift from the 5 or so years Macc piloted this franchise like a leaky oil tanker.

• Sympathy 1

It's not impossible that Trumaine Johnson with better coaching and a better locker room will become at least close to the impact corner they paid him to be. If so it would be a big plus for the D. Any team needs an impact player at corner and that's what they're paying him for.