Greatest Player You ever Saw Play

On 7/12/2019 at 2:10 PM, Peace Frog said:

Willie and Hank.  

Although I only saw Willie in person as a Met.

Saw Seaver, live, strike out 19 Padres, last 10 in a row. 

Longest homer I ever saw was Richie/Dick Allen.  Hit it about 20 rows into the parking lot at Shea. 

Saw that game. Seaver would have won 400 if he was on a team that could hit. He and Koos lost more 1 run games  than any pitchers in the history of baseball.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Saw that game. Seaver would have won 400 if he was on a team that could hit. He and Koos lost more 1 run games  than any pitchers in the history of baseball.

His lack of support (Seaver's) was crazy.

Someone who I think is over looked is Steve Carlton.   #2 all time in strikeouts when he retired, he won 4 CY Youngs, and had one of the all time seasons in 1972.   He went 27-10 on a team that won 59 total games.   The days he did not pitch, that team was 32-87.  He led the league in wins, starts, innings, complete games (30!!) and strikeouts.  

41 minutes ago, chirorob said:

His lack of support (Seaver's) was crazy.

Someone who I think is over looked is Steve Carlton.   #2 all time in strikeouts when he retired, he won 4 CY Youngs, and had one of the all time seasons in 1972.   He went 27-10 on a team that won 59 total games.   The days he did not pitch, that team was 32-87.  He led the league in wins, starts, innings, complete games (30!!) and strikeouts.  

Ron Swoboda- that is all

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:49 PM, Lith said:

Willie Mays.  As a Giant.  

Saw him play at Candlestick against the Mets one year when I was out in SF as a kid with my family.  Probably about 1970.  Don't remember much about the game other than Mays having 3 or 4 hits, pretty sure he was a homer short of the cycle.  Probably was disappointed then because he beat the Mets.  But now, looking back, even though he was past his prime, I got to see Mays at his best; if just for one night.

I saw Vlad Guerrero hit for the cycle against the Mets at Olympic Stadium.  Guy was the real deal, though I don't think I'd ever consider him best of all time. 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:57 PM, Wonderboy said:

I was at Koosman's 20th.  I was a little kid and got some autographs, including some rookie SS.  Turned out to be Gary Templeton who turned out to be a pretty good player in his own right.  Before that, most of the games I went to featured Hank Aaron. I guess the Braves at the end of the year were a cheap ticket and my Grandfather tried to make me a Mets fan.  It did not work.