New 18 game proposal...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/12/report-owners-have-proposed-18-games-with-a-16-game-limit-for-each-player/?fbclid=IwAR074gCSXOkiVVcAIdr2oL5UOJDM_Br8tURCrnlq1cjRlYYhjrX0Af28ER0

Report: Owners have proposed 18 games, with a 16-game limit for each player

Posted by Mike Florio on July 12, 2019, 1:11 PM EDT

gettyimages-1145367966-e1562951245652.jp
Getty Images

The idea is hardly new, but it’s emergence as a formal concept in collective bargaining is.

Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal reports that, as part of the NFL’s push for 18 regular-season games, the league has advanced the possibility of an 18-game season with a per-player limit of 16 games per year.

That idea has been percolating for years; it’s been the subject of multiple PFT stories, PFT Live discussions, and #PFTPM monologues.

Most recently, the topic was discussed during an interview with Hall of Fame head coach Tony Dungy last month, the video of which is attached to this blurb (the question is asked at the 9:37 mark).

The next day, Coach Dungy called after the show with another important observation: Some fans will revolt against an 18/16 approach. For example, this year the Browns play at Arizona in Week 15; it’s Cleveland’s once-per-eight-years trip to the desert. Browns fans in Phoenix who want (and who paid) to see Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham, and Jarvis Landry play would be upset if they found out 90 minutes before kickoff that one or more of them is healthy, but not playing.

As to Mayfield and all other quarterbacks, the problem could be solved by an exception for that position, given the enhanced safety rules that apply to them. (Kickers, punters, holders, and long-snappers would/should get similar treatment.) Still, the NFL has plenty of stars who aren’t quarterbacks, and plenty of fans would be plenty pissed off if they show up for a game hoping to see a star player who isn’t playing because this is one of the two games that he won’t be playing.

The fact that the NFL would even suggest such a revolutionary concept, one that oozes with unintended consequences, shows how desperate the league is to expand the regular season — and how effectively the NFL Players Association has rebuffed those efforts. At this point, the league may get 18 games only by making the players a financial offer they can’t refuse.

Share this:

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

each player can only play 16 of 18 games is possibly the most ridiculous rule proposal I've ever heard from the NFL. So if your QB has been healthy all season and you're fighting for a playoff berth the last 2 weeks of the season you have to go with whatever schmuck is your #2 with all the marbles on the line?

I've heard some real dumb crap, but this takes the cake. foh

It would certainly change the way teams would look at the backup QB slot.  No more rosters with just 2 QB's with one being a Curtis Painter or other veteran minimum type.  And Colin Kaepernick would certainly find a home somewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Compromise:  17 regular season games, two bye weeks for each team, with that 2nd bye week coming into play the week before a team plays on a Thursday night game.   There should never be a game played by a team on 4 days rest, ever. 

Not bad.  The bye's would help more than a 16 game maximum mandate I'd think. 

I personally like the idea of 18 games with a trim to two preseason games.  I also like the idea of expanding inter team practices like we did with the Skins last season. The benefit of practicing against another team is that it can be controlled more than a preseason game. The teams can agree on what they want to work on as opposed to the game play dictating it. For example: they can agree to play two 2 min drives each or something. 

I also like the idea of playoff expansion. 4 more teams should make it from each conference and get more teams into the dance. Much more exciting IMO.  

11 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

What’s wrong with the current schedule. Like somebody else said this is a cash grab. 

Take away two of the preseason games and make them real games. I'd much prefer that. And I'm one who enjoys watching the 5th and 6th stringers play. 

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I personally like the idea of 18 games with a trim to two preseason games.  I also like the idea of expanding inter team practices like we did with the Skins last season. The benefit of practicing against another team is that it can be controlled more than a preseason game.

More Intra-squad practices, yes.  Fewer preseason games, no.  Since practices aren't as strenuous as they've been in the past, even the intra-squad ones, you really need those preseason games to evaluate your roster.  Even then, that's not enough.  NFL Coaches have stated repeatedly that the new practice rules create a situation where the first 2-4 regular season games are like an extended preseason.  You really don't know what you have until Week 4 or 5 of the regular season. 

Reduce to 2 preseason games, and now you're reducing the quality of the early regular season games even more, and it takes until Week 6-7 to really know what you have.  You'd probably also see an increase in early season injuries, since guys are delaying getting into "football shape" even more. 

Teams are already employing far too many sub-par players anyways because so much of their cap space gets devoted to the QB.  So you're seeing some truly awful play, especially guys who are your # 4 corner or backup Safety.  It'll only get worse if you reduce the preseason at all. 

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

each player can only play 16 of 18 games is possibly the most ridiculous rule proposal I've ever heard from the NFL. So if your QB has been healthy all season and you're fighting for a playoff berth the last 2 weeks of the season you have to go with whatever schmuck is your #2 with all the marbles on the line?

I've heard some real dumb crap, but this takes the cake. foh

Not at all.

This is called negotiating.  

You put something on the table that you know the players will never approve of that really  isn't that important to you.  At a later point in the negotiations you trade it for something the players don't want either, but you really want. 

So you take the 18 games off the table, and get something else that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Not at all.

This is called negotiating.  

You put something on the table that you know the players will never approve of that really  isn't that important to you.  At a later point in the negotiations you trade it for something the players don't want either, but you really want. 

So you take the 18 games off the table, and get something else that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  

It's not even bad for the players. They don't have to play extra games. It's bad for the fans and bad for the game. Who are they negotiating with and what for?

Think of the impact this would have on OLs.  Each starter needs to rest at least two games.  Not likely to have multuple starters miss the same game.  That means out of 18 games, your starting OL is only likely to be intact for 8 games. 

That has disaster written all over it for QBs. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not even bad for the players. They don't have to play extra games. It's bad for the fans. Who are they negotiating with and what for?

LOL

The fans don't get to negotiate.  They either buy the tickets, or they don't. 

This negotiation is only with the players.  

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Think of the impact this would have on OLs.  Each starter needs to rest at least two games.  Not likely to have multuple starters miss the same game.  That means out of 18 games, your starting OL is only likely to be intact for 8 games. 

That has disaster written all over it for QBs. 

Cant wait for reaction when first star QB goes down for an extended period because sub lineman missed his block.

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

The fans don't get to negotiate.  They either buy the tickets, or they don't. 

This negotiation is only with the players.  

That's kind of my point. Of course the fans don't negotiate. So who the F is this negotiation supposedly with? Ain't no skin of the players backs. It's just crap for the fans and the game in general.

Explain this supposed negotiation.

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Compromise:  17 regular season games, two bye weeks for each team, with that 2nd bye week coming into play the week before a team plays on a Thursday night game.   There should never be a game played by a team on 4 days rest, ever. 

This has always been my exact thought. If you want an 18 game schedule, do the same thing but week 10 is a week off for everyone, maybe with skills contest or something during the week. It would make the schedule 21 weeks long but with each time having 3 weeks off. Revenue would skyrocket, and it might even slightly lower injuries.

• Upvote 1

The season extension is the most idiotic idea repeatedly brought up by the league for years now.  It serves absolutely no benefit at all, for a league that these days is getting more publicity for the health of players than anything else, to have more games played.  The idea of offsetting that with a 16-game player limitation proves that those involved in these discussions have absolutely no clue what they're talking about at all when it comes to the game of football.  Plus, the 16-game season in a 32 team league serves to provide what is really the most objectively balanced schedules that could ever really be hoped for.

Not to mention, as popular as the NFL is, by the time the season ends, I can't think of anyone who is thriving to get more games to watch.  It's the break after the season that gets fans into FA, the down time after FA that gets people so invested in the draft, and the quiet time after that which leads to folks even getting psyched up for training camps and preseasons.  The current season structure is actually a great marketing tool for them, on things people largely ignore in all other leagues, but in a desperate attempt to squeeze more blood from the stone, they're looking to try to force things that are far more likely to make people even more exhausted with a league that has had more than its far share of issues lately, and seems to be on more of a downward trend than anything right now.

• Upvote 1

I’d keep it the same. But if they do an 18 game schedule. Evan Roberts actually laid it out perfectly how it can happen. It was years ago so,I may not be quoting exactly how he proposed it. The season would extend 1 xtra week so the day after Super Bowl is Presidents’ Day. Every team gets 2 byes that precedes each team playing a division game on Thursday nights. East coast start a 7 o clock start.west coast at 1030. With 2 preseason games. Did not sound bad.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That's kind of my point. Of course the fans don't negotiate. So who the F is this negotiation supposedly with? Ain't no skin of the players backs. It's just crap for the fans and the game in general.

Explain this supposed negotiation.

Players seem to think it is.  Still have to practice, and be at the games ect.  The Union has made it clear they oppose an 18 game season.

Actually as a fan, I don't really care if another teams star player won't play against the Jets.

I've already explained the negotiation to you.   Sorry if you don't understand.   As a fan, if your really upset, just don't go.