New 18 game proposal...

59 minutes ago, JiF said:

Supposedly the entire motivation behind expanding the season was to increase the quality of play ie; less preseason games, more regular season games.  How does this model achieve the goal of improving quality?

Exactly.  18 games means more injured players and having to watch more crappy players and more meaningless games.   Things are perfectly fine with 16 games, it's just the owners know that there's zero point to having 4 preseason games but don't want to give those up without adding two more real games.

Here’s the thing with this subject.

The fact that we’re posting on this site shows we’re the most ardent of fans. I mean it’s July, lol, and here we are. But let’s not kid ourselves with talk of player safety or quality of product.

The average fan wants more football. Whether for gambling, fantasy league, or just lying on the couch drinking a beer for idle entertainment. They could care less that the refs suck, the rosters are watered down, or whatever.

Pro Football is the main attraction in a modern day version of the Roman Empire, and the players are the gladiators. Bring it on, keep us happy and entertained. Let’s not pretend to care about the warriors. We root for the laundry. And yes, I meant “we here at JN” because we’ll be just like everyone else. Glued to the spectacle. 16, 18, or 20 games. Whatever. We can’t get enough.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This seems like a terrible, not-thought-out, ill-fated, disingenuous money grab. So basically, business as usual for Goodell and The Shield.

+1

18 Games is fine IF they also:

-Reduce Preseason to 2 games, or better still, zero games.

-Expand the active Roster to include all players ON the roster.  No more inactives.

-Expand the size of the roster to something closer to 70 players total.

Then I'm good with 18 games.

18 games but no other change, and players can only play in 16?  /facepalm, nope.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

each player can only play 16 of 18 games is possibly the most ridiculous rule proposal I've ever heard from the NFL. So if your QB has been healthy all season and you're fighting for a playoff berth the last 2 weeks of the season you have to go with whatever schmuck is your #2 with all the marbles on the line?

I've heard some real dumb crap, but this takes the cake. foh

Seems like a hamfisted negotiation ploy. No way in Hell Goodell would do something this stupid. There would be a fan revolt.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Players seem to think it is.  Still have to practice, and be at the games ect.  The Union has made it clear they oppose an 18 game season.

Actually as a fan, I don't really care if another teams star player won't play against the Jets.

I've already explained the negotiation to you.   Sorry if you don't understand.   As a fan, if your really upset, just don't go.   

I don't go anymore - they charge too much for a watered down product and the living room experience is great with modern TV's & surround sound. If the Jets ever host another home playoff game I'll go again.

The 16 games per player in an 18 game season idea is monumentally stupid. I hope you're right that it's just a negotiation tactic. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The players have basically not much else to relinquish in terms of bargaining and this is the easiest way for the league to increase revenue. 

It’s also going to increase injuries and shorten careers

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

"Player Safety!! Player Safety!! Player Safety!!"

"What, what's the problem with playing 3 NFL games in an 11 day stretch? How does playing a Sunday game followed by a Thursday nighter have ANYTHING to do with PLAYER SAFETY!!"

Quite a bit actually 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

More Intra-squad practices, yes.  Fewer preseason games, no.  Since practices aren't as strenuous as they've been in the past, even the intra-squad ones, you really need those preseason games to evaluate your roster.  Even then, that's not enough.  NFL Coaches have stated repeatedly that the new practice rules create a situation where the first 2-4 regular season games are like an extended preseason.  You really don't know what you have until Week 4 or 5 of the regular season. 

Reduce to 2 preseason games, and now you're reducing the quality of the early regular season games even more, and it takes until Week 6-7 to really know what you have.  You'd probably also see an increase in early season injuries, since guys are delaying getting into "football shape" even more. 

Teams are already employing far too many sub-par players anyways because so much of their cap space gets devoted to the QB.  So you're seeing some truly awful play, especially guys who are your # 4 corner or backup Safety.  It'll only get worse if you reduce the preseason at all. 

Meh, I hear ya, but the preseason is BS for the most part anymore. I like those games because I, like many others here, am part of the smaller percentile who actually gives a damn about the bottom of the roster but I'd easily toss them for two more real games that count. The starters get about 5-6 solid quarters out of the 4 games. As far as getting guys into football shape, the preseason isn't doing much that can't be gained in the intra squad practices.  It's rare that a player makes such a good showing in a preseason game that the coaches override their opinions formulated in practices. How many times have we seen players we all thought played well in the preseason surprisingly get cut?   Who was that WR last year that caught a few TD's and was cut the next week?  I'm spacing on his name. Charles something maybe.  The coaches get all they need to see in the practices and couple preseason games. Especially if they increase the intra squad practices. 

That said, I'm hoping that the experiment with less practice time and more communication restrictions get's smoothed over in the next CBA. I don't have any official numbers, but it seems to me that the idea backfired and that more guys are getting injured than ever before with these new rules.  If they can adjust that end to meet somewhere in the middle of the practice regimen and cut two preseason games, I'd be a big supporter of the 18 game schedule. 

• Upvote 1

It's an interesting concept but basically shows there is no good reason except for increasing revenue to expand the schedule to 18. And you're basically saying that you will go with not your best players over the course of the season. But customers have to pay premium prices even though the talent is spread thinner.  It also overexposes the product there are indications of lowering demand. 

21 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This seems like a terrible, not-thought-out, ill-fated, disingenuous money grab. So basically, business as usual for Goodell and The Shield.

That is literally the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

But I'm sure we have to pay full price for any games.

Here's a better crazy idea for the NFL to increase billionaire owner revenue without expanding to 18 games while players only play 16 (dumb as f)

Stick with 16 games. Add 4 new teams collectively owned by the existing owners. Reorganize the entire league to two conferences, one being in the US and one being mostly in Europe. The American conference and the International conference play fewer crossover games than presently between AFC/NFC due to obvious traveling issues. Maybe 1 or 2 per week with away teams getting a bye week after - something to that effect. This leaves plenty of room for more expansion when they get greedy again. This also opens up to the door to international advertisers.

American Conference
Central   Eastern   Western
Kansas City Chiefs   NE Patriots   Las Vegas Raiders
Dallas Cowboys   NY Jets   LA Chargers
Chicago Bears   Pittsburgh Steelers   Denver Broncos
Green Bay Packers   Philadelphia Eagles   San Francisco 49ers
Atlanta Falcons   NY Giants   Seattle Seahawks
New Orleans Saints   Washington Redskins   *Portland Cougars
International Conference
Central   Eastern   Western
Berlin Bills  
Moscow Reds (Formerly Texans)
  Dublin Dolphins
Rome Ravens   Istanbul Titans   Barcelona Bengals
Munich Jaguars  
Saint Petersburgh Cardinals
  Madrid Colts
Hamburg Rams   Warsaw Browns   *London Beatles
Prague Lions   Stockholm Vikings   Paris Buccaneers
*Venice Sharks   *Athens Apollos   Vienna Panthers

* expansion team

Superbowl to be played on the moon.

Are these billionaire owners really willing to kill the golden goose trying to squeeze a few more eggs out of it?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not trying to defend Goodall but this is on the owners. This would have been floated by whoever was commissioner. Just shows how greedy and dumb the owners are as a group.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:38 PM, Obrien2Toon said:

What did Cuban predict the NFL would implode in 10 years because of their greediness, about 5 years ago

that dude is a genius

theyre right on schedule 

Not a huge fan of the sanitization and overly corporate delivery of the NFL product, but the league for whatever reason doesn't seem to be slowing down much at all. Pretty incredible really. Literally everything is a cash grab intended to make the fan feel less integrated and cashed out, yet they keep tuning in and buying product. People just love football.

• Sympathy 1

On 7/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

What’s wrong with the current schedule. Like somebody else said this is a cash grab. 

I would support adding a 2nd bye week so it gives the networks and us fans an extra week of games but still 16

• Upvote 1