Losmeister

NY Rangers reboot 2019-20

wow. sign John Davidson as Prez

latest?cb=20110114173308

(loved that!)

and then...

bam bam bam...    making moves...      should be watchable

concerned that Henrik is past it and we have no slution there, but we'll see...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, Losmeister said:

wow. sign John Davidson as Prez

latest?cb=20110114173308

(loved that!)

and then...

bam bam bam...    making moves...      should be watchable

concerned that Henrik is past it and we have no slution there, but we'll see...

I love that Hank wants to play his entire career with the Rangers, but I would’ve traded him before the start of last season. Now? Meh. What do you think we’d get? Would it really be worth doing at this point?

On 7/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, 14 in Green said:

I love that Hank wants to play his entire career with the Rangers, but I would’ve traded him before the start of last season. Now? Meh. What do you think we’d get? Would it really be worth doing at this point?

I'd love to see him retire as a Ranger but let's see how this year goes.  If the rebuild is accelerated and the Rangers really look like they can compete for the playoffs then we keep him.  If our optimism about the Draft and all these signings isn't rewarded and it seems like it will take a couple years for this to come together then I'd simply approach Hank and say, "We'd love to keep you here but there are some playoff teams knocking on our door asking if we'd trade you to help them contend.  Again, we don't want to see you go but if you want to go compete for a Stanley Cup this year with a Western Conference team then we'll help you do that."

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/kakko-vaults-rangers-to-top-nhl-prospect-pool/

FOREVER BLUESHIRTS

A New York Rangers Blog

Kakko vaults Rangers to top NHL prospect pool

Posted by Anthony Scultore

Kakko (@NathanGraviteh)

Not so long ago, at an ice rink in a galaxy far far away the Rangers were considered one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Today, NHL Network has ranked the New York Rangers to the top of the league’s ranked prospect pools. The Rangers have 5 of the top 51 ranked prospects in the league and the future looks bright.

NHL Network on NYR Prospects

Kaapo Kakko and K’Andre Miller were cited in the video above, but with Vitali Kravtsov, Adam Fox, and Igor Shesterkin the Rangers will be a force for years to come.

Chris Drury talks about Kakko and other prized prospects

Drury noted that we should all temper expectations for the 18 year old phenom coming over from Europe into the NHL. Kakko will make an impact but it will still be a process.

In the interview above, Drury had some beaming remarks on Vitali Kravtsov. Citing specifically how highly skilled he is and that while Kakko is getting a lot of the attention he will be one to watch.

Myself and @section314 go way back with this team.

Im talking Harry Howell, Orland “the Policeman” Kurtenbach and Jim “the Chief” Neilson back, lol.

I am a “now I can die in peace” fan ever since we won the Cup in’94. All I ever wanted was to see it once in my lifetime, and never have to hear that damn 1940 chant from the assholes in Uniondale.

All this “the Rangers have the top prospect pool” talk is foreign to me...  But I’m down for another run at this. It’s starting to remind me of back when Brad Park and Walter Tzachuk came up together, or the Duguay, Greshner, ooh la la Sassoon era.

• Upvote 3

On 8/10/2019 at 8:29 PM, 14 in Green said:

Myself and @section314 go way back with this team.

Im talking Harry Howell, Orland “the Policeman” Kurtenbach and Jim “the Chief” Neilson back, lol.

I am a “now I can die in peace” fan ever since we won the Cup in’94. All I ever wanted was to see it once in my lifetime, and never have to hear that damn 1940 chant from the assholes in Uniondale.

All this “the Rangers have the top prospect pool” talk is foreign to me...  But I’m down for another run at this. It’s starting to remind me of back when Brad Park and Walter Tzachuk came up together, or the Duguay, Greshner, ooh la la Sassoon era.

That run to the Cup finals in 1979 was still one of the greatest post seasons in New York history. The fact that they beat the Flyers and Islanders to get there was even sweeter. That  Ranger team was the last one to beat the Islanders in a playoff series for 5 years!  It still kills me that management broke up that team the next year by trading 5 guys to get Barry Beck.

• Upvote 3

Really excited about this year.  The division overall got tougher I think.

I love what Hank has meant to this team but personally i thought he was done 2-3 years ago.  We have our own Eli Manning problem here in trying to figure out how to gracefully manage the end of an important player's career without impacting the future of franchise.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I love what Hank has meant to this team but personally i thought he was done 2-3 years ago.  We have our own Eli Manning problem here in trying to figure out how to gracefully manage the end of an important player's career without impacting the future of franchise.

I know what your saying about Lundqvist but I think he still has one more playoff run left in the tank. Let’s get him that cup so he can retire. 

On 8/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, EM31 said:

On 8/25/2019 at 3:19 PM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I know what your saying about Lundqvist but I think he still has one more playoff run left in the tank. Let’s get him that cup so he can retire. 

I expect they will play Georgiev more this year to keep Lundqvist fresh.

I'm not sure they will make the playoffs, but definitely expect them to be in the hunt.

We are deep in net with Georgiev and Shestyorkin, and will be in great shape once Lundqvist is off the books.

• Upvote 1

They are getting there. Not sure if they are ready to contend for a Cup yet but the pieces are starting to fall into place. I really want to see how Panarin does. Seems like a really good player, scores goals but now on his third team in what is now his fifth season. I don't think it is him but I can't see how other than Salary Cap issues how Chicago and Columbus couldn't get him long term.

Hopefully the Rangers get 10 great years out of him.

Can't wait for the regular season to get going. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I expect they will play Georgiev more this year to keep Lundqvist fresh.

I'm not sure they will make the playoffs, but definitely expect them to be in the hunt.

We are deep in net with Georgiev and Shestyorkin, and will be in great shape once Lundqvist is off the books.

We were "in the hunt" last year for most of the year and I think the natural progression of the kids we already had would have meant we would be better than last year.  With Kakko and the FA additions I think we make a small run this year. Hank may end up being a bigger question mark than you think 

5 hours ago, EM31 said:

We were "in the hunt" last year for most of the year and I think the natural progression of the kids we already had would have meant we would be better than last year.  With Kakko and the FA additions I think we make a small run this year. Hank may end up being a bigger question mark than you think 

We were in the hunt up till the trade deadline, when they rightfully moved Hays and Zuccarello.

Panarin and Trouba are definite upgrades, and Kakko should be an impact player.

They will be in the hunt again and hopefully one of the kids emerges as a 2nd line center.

They may end up moving Kreider at the deadline and that could hurt.

Hank started well, but played too many games, he is going to play less this season. If he struggles, Georgiev is going to carry the load, unless Shestyorkin is ready to take the reins. If that happens, they may move Georgiev and make Hank the backup.

Side note, the addidas authentic jerseys are great. Picked up a practically brand new blue Vesey jersey for $50.

Definitely thinking about getting a white Panarin once they assign the captains.

12 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

We were in the hunt up till the trade deadline, when they rightfully moved Hays and Zuccarello.

Panarin and Trouba are definite upgrades, and Kakko should be an impact player.

They will be in the hunt again and hopefully one of the kids emerges as a 2nd line center.

They may end up moving Kreider at the deadline and that could hurt.

Hank started well, but played too many games, he is going to play less this season. If he struggles, Georgiev is going to carry the load, unless Shestyorkin is ready to take the reins. If that happens, they may move Georgiev and make Hank the backup.

And so it may all boil down to Hank's willingness to NOT be "the guy" between the pipes.  I may be completely wrong here but I get the sense that there is a little bit of Curtis Martin in him in terms of not wanting to share the spotlight.  As I said in my original post I think we have a mini version of the the Giants in terms of how they manage/managed the end of a career for a player who has been great for them and the face of the franchise.

Other than this (potential) issue the rebuild went by in a flash and the Metropolitan looks like it is going to a real powerhouse division for a long time with us being a big part of that.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, EM31 said:

And so it may all boil down to Hank's willingness to NOT be "the guy" between the pipes.  I may be completely wrong here but I get the sense that there is a little bit of Curtis Martin in him in terms of not wanting to share the spotlight.  As I said in my original post I think we have a mini version of the the Giants in terms of how they manage/managed the end of a career for a player who has been great for them and the face of the franchise.

Other than this (potential) issue the rebuild went by in a flash and the Metropolitan looks like it is going to a real powerhouse division for a long time with us being a big part of that.

We shall see..

Quinn had no problem benching stars last year, and Hank is on board with him.

It will be interesting how this goes if in fact Hank is struggling.

7 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

We shall see..

Quinn had no problem benching stars last year, and Hank is on board with him.

It will be interesting how this goes if in fact Hank is struggling.

I cannot remember being this pumped in preseason for a while.

A team on the rise!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EM31 said:

I cannot remember being this pumped in preseason for a while.

A team on the rise!

I have been a fan for over 40 years and never have I seen them build like this.

I love the fact that they did an actual rebuild.

They plugged holes with short term contracts and moved them at the deadline for assets.

They moved aging vets for picks and prospects and stocked the farm system. 

They should keep doing this as they can, until the kids are ready to take over.

They sigened key players at the right side of 30 and will be out of cap trouble in time to resign their top prospects.

I truly enjoyed this, even watching them last year was fun, frustrating at times but still loved it knowing that they were finally building the right way.

I think Quinn did a good job and really got them playing hard. They may not be cup contenders this year, but they will keep getting better.

They look to be building a winning team that will contend for years. I just hope they keep it up.

Rewarding players like Staal and Girardi for past performances is what got them in trouble with bad contracts. They can't do that anymore.

Managing the cap is key to building a winner in todays NHL. I hope they get it right.

That being said, I am pumped too. Can't wait for the season to get started.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, 14 in Green said:

He has a no movement clause, can't trade him or send him down unless he waives it.

18 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

He has a no movement clause, can't trade him or send him down unless he waives it.

That's reasonable. A veteran like him has earned it, like a 10 and 5 guy in baseball. 

If we're ready to contend, I'd rather have him with us then anywhere else. At this stage we wouldn't get too much back, so I'm okay with keeping him a Ranger for his entire career if he wants to stay.

• Upvote 1

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/9/10/20857632/new-york-rangers-traverse-city-stock-report-out-foxed-by-kakko

Traverse City Stock Report: Out-Foxed By Kakko

By Joseph Fortunato@JoeFortunatoBSB  Sep 10, 2019, 12:00pm EDT

United States v Finland - 2018 IIHF World Junior ChampionshipPhoto by Kevin Hoffman/Getty Images

Stock Way Up

Adam Fox  Fox was to be the only player in this category, simply to emphasize just how good of a tournament he’s had. Then Kakko Kakko-ed, but more on that in a bit.

Mike and I discussed on the Megashow V3 (Ep. 155) all the reasons why Fox might struggle, but that certainly hasn’t been the case. I marked Fox as a player who wouldn’t see his Opening Night roster spot truly impacted by this tournament; I still think that’s true, but this is as good of a start as Fox could have hoped for.

Coming off a year where he was one of the nation’s best college hockey players, Fox was acquired in a rare “it was OK to knowingly overpay” deal that will likely see Carolina get two second round picks. Expected to make the team out of camp, this tournament has been a good opportunity for Fox to stretch his legs a little. And boy has he.

He was far and away the best player on the ice for the Baby Rangers in a dismal first game that saw totally normal reactions on social media. In the second game, Fox played well to the tune of garnering five points. He was, once again, one of the most noticeable players on the ice day three as well.

It’s very hard to project future success from Traverse City, but you can certainly say it can be something of a building block for kids going into camp. For Fox, it’s been that and more.

Kaapo Kakko  Despite missing the first two games due to an illness, Kakko was able to come out on the third day and simply blow everyone away. He’s an ox, and his size (and ability to effectively use it) is going to be one of the reasons why I think he’ll do well out of the gate with the team in October.

It was one game for a disjointed group that hasn’t played together yet, and Kakko was still that good after joining — even without practicing the few times this team did. That’s talent alone. While we know he has oodles of talent, I was expecting him to have a quiet game against the Wild. He had a quiet 20 minutes, then proved he was the best player on the ice time and time again. (Mike and I gush about him in this week’s podcast — Ep. 156 of the Flagship.)

Three assists — including the primary assist to tie the game with an empty net — before he did this in overtime.

Kakko was sick enough to miss the past two games. We didn't know if he was playing today because of residual effects either. He had three assists and this game-winning goal for a four-point day. He looked like he was playing against a U14 team. My word. https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1171163484589088771 

Stock Going Up

Vitali Kravtsov  Much like Fox, Kravtsov has been one of the team’s more noticeable players. At times, like in the highlight below, Kravtsov is playing chess while his counterparts are playing checkers.

This assist by Vitaly Kravtsov last night was something else.

Embedded video

At other times — like his back-to-back power play goals on day three — he’s simply better than everyone else. Sure, it’s helps to have Kaapo Kakko on your line, but Kravtsov made a nice career in the KHL by getting to the soft areas of the ice, and this is no different.

Another Kravtsov power play goal... another Kakko power play assist. The #NYR pull even

Embedded video

And what a pass by Kakko, right? I mean. What. A. Pass.

Karl Henriksson — Henriksson is a player in this tournament with something to prove. While his Opening Night roster spot isn’t in question (he’s not making the team out of camp), Henriksson is a rare European presence in this tournament. That might have something to do with his current status. Adam clarified that status here.

Frolunda’s J20 team starts Sept. 11, which means Henriksson — who will be playing in today’s fifth place game — will be late to that camp. I do wonder if Henriksson isn’t playing for either an NHL contract with the Rangers this year (where he’ll go to Hartford) or for an AHL contract (where, again, he’ll go to Hartford). I will work to confirm his status (Adam and I have a couple of e-mails out to the right people).

All that said, Henriksson has looked good for this team from day one. His presence in front of the net is solid, and his ability to read plays in transition has helped create a ton of offense. His real skill appears to be his vision, though, and he’s been a wonderful puck distributor for the Baby Rangers.

As things current stand, he’s going to return to Sweden and spend another year in the SuperElit league that he dominated to the tune of 49 points in 45 games last year.

Stock Is Roughly The Same

Igor Shesterkin  Traverse City is not a good tournament for goalies, especially goalies that comes in with enormous expectations. Shesterkin has been fine — probably even good — in this tournament, but it’s near impossible to sift through the madness that was social media after the first game. When your team is constantly giving up odd man rushes it’s hard to really notice the goalie in a good way. I have a very funny feeling we’re going to see Shesterkin challenge Alexandar Georgiev out of camp, or at least midway through the year. This tournament doesn’t change that.

Yegor Rykov  Rykov has looked fine in this tournament, nothing special, but again, it’s very hard to judge defensive players here. Fox has taken a large majority of the special teams reps, rightfully so, but that doesn’t help other guys stand out. Rykov will spend the year in the AHL as expected.

https://deadspin.com/behold-the-coming-of-kaapo-kakko-1838005462

Behold The Coming Of Kaapo Kakko

Breathe, we’ve almost made it. We’re two days from NHL players taking the ice at training camp; less than a week from the first preseason games; less than a month from the start of the regular season; and just about nine months from Kaapo Kakko winning the Calder Trophy.

Kakko, the 18-year-old Finnish phenom taken second overall in the draft by the Rangers, is already getting his first taste of NHL-ish competition, at the Traverse City tournament. Would it provide him more of a challenge than, previously, Worlds, or World Juniors, or U18s, or the top Finnish pro league? It would not. On Monday, in a 4-3 win against the Wild’s prospects, Kakko assisted on the Rangers’ first three goals, then took matters onto his own stick for the overtime winner.

Yes, that’s a double wraparound. And before the highlight truthers get in here to mew mew mew about how it’s just against prospects, and how there was an illegal pick, and how they’ve seen more interested defense in an all-star game, let’s concede all that. And then acknowledge that this highlight still shows off the best parts of what we’ve been promised about Kakko’s game: his insane stickhandling, his strong feet and crafty hands and keen eye for what’s happening around him, and a near-preternatural ability to avoid being pushed off the puck.

Oh, and he responds well to coaching:

Kakko figures to be a prime mover in New York’s ground-up rebuild, which is moving faster than maybe even the front office planned. Yet—and this feels weird to say, given all his hype and the natural uncertainty about how a teen will develop—Kakko doesn’t feel like a question mark at all.

Fan since Giacoman was in net. MY first jersey was Gilles Villemuire ...

1994 was a special year for me, watched the Stanley cup, White Ford Bronco chase all while holding an ice pack on my balls after my second daughter was born had the big vasectomy.🤣.  Only sport I played in high school. GO RANGERS!!!!!  

Almost forgot.... Beat your wife Potvin, beat your wife!!!!

• Upvote 2

Panarin scores the first Rangers goal tonight but he’s not going to return after the groin injury. Hopefully just being super careful but if it is serious I hope there’s a return policy. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Panarin scores the first Rangers goal tonight but he’s not going to return after the groin injury. Hopefully just being super careful but if it is serious I hope there’s a return policy. 

Beautiful goal on the power play by The Bread Man. Coach said it was more precautionary that they kept him out, he should be fine.

Rangers looked good, Kaapo Kakko is a beast! Trouba and Fox also great additions. Shestyorkin is coming along.

Rangers - Devils rivalry renewed!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Did anyone else notice Al Trautwig last night? He looked and sounded horrible. I hope everything things ok. 

If anybody knows what’s wrong lmk. 

Yes, I was horrified when I saw him. I'm praying for him, he looked terrible and sounded awful. He was shaking too, looked like the onset of Parkinson's disease. Kudos to MSG for letting him go on, but it does not look good. :( 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yes, I was horrified when I saw him. I'm praying for him, he looked terrible and sounded awful. He was shaking too, looked like the onset of Parkinson's disease. Kudos to MSG for letting him go on, but it does not look good. :( 

If it is Parkinson’s that would be a real shame. I love Al. And you’re right about MSG, they should let him go as long as he wants to. 

• Like 1