Losmeister

NY Rangers reboot 2019-20

Really excited about this year.  The division overall got tougher I think.

I love what Hank has meant to this team but personally i thought he was done 2-3 years ago.  We have our own Eli Manning problem here in trying to figure out how to gracefully manage the end of an important player's career without impacting the future of franchise.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I expect they will play Georgiev more this year to keep Lundqvist fresh.

I'm not sure they will make the playoffs, but definitely expect them to be in the hunt.

We are deep in net with Georgiev and Shestyorkin, and will be in great shape once Lundqvist is off the books.

We were "in the hunt" last year for most of the year and I think the natural progression of the kids we already had would have meant we would be better than last year.  With Kakko and the FA additions I think we make a small run this year. Hank may end up being a bigger question mark than you think 

12 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

We were in the hunt up till the trade deadline, when they rightfully moved Hays and Zuccarello.

Panarin and Trouba are definite upgrades, and Kakko should be an impact player.

They will be in the hunt again and hopefully one of the kids emerges as a 2nd line center.

They may end up moving Kreider at the deadline and that could hurt.

Hank started well, but played too many games, he is going to play less this season. If he struggles, Georgiev is going to carry the load, unless Shestyorkin is ready to take the reins. If that happens, they may move Georgiev and make Hank the backup.

And so it may all boil down to Hank's willingness to NOT be "the guy" between the pipes.  I may be completely wrong here but I get the sense that there is a little bit of Curtis Martin in him in terms of not wanting to share the spotlight.  As I said in my original post I think we have a mini version of the the Giants in terms of how they manage/managed the end of a career for a player who has been great for them and the face of the franchise.

Other than this (potential) issue the rebuild went by in a flash and the Metropolitan looks like it is going to a real powerhouse division for a long time with us being a big part of that.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

We shall see..

Quinn had no problem benching stars last year, and Hank is on board with him.

It will be interesting how this goes if in fact Hank is struggling.

I cannot remember being this pumped in preseason for a while.

A team on the rise!

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, Losmeister said:

i meant 14 SA...

pre-season, but outshot 14-5??  ffs

I thought Hank was done three years ago.

Ugly win but still a good win last night,  THAT Jets team is a talented team which I think will become clearer as the season goes along.. 

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

fwiw, i love henrik...      but....      he's not what he used to be...and yeah, Jets have talent..

both big signings scored for us...   both great shots....

Now all we need to work on is the whole not giving up the equalizer within 30 seconds of taking a lead thing.

On the hairy edge of being in a crowded wild card conversation (almost a whole year earlier that I thought we would be contending).

PP and PK both strong and we finally have sanity at the goaltender position what with Hank now effectively playing as #3 on the depth chart.

If only we could play all of our games on the road then we would surely coast into the post season.

The missing piece at this point would be if the light somehow goes on for Kakko.  I keep looking for him to break out and I even think the I see some promising signs but.... A bit unfair really since the kid only just turned 19.  Still.... one can dream about how good would this team be if Kakko became a legitimate threat every night.

Time to go out tonight and not undo the good work we have built up by stubbing our toe against San Jose.

Not sure we are quite ready for the "heavy" Boston Bruins or a Lightning team who seem to be on a mission to make up for last year but with that said, I think other teams may be looking at us right now and thinking "no way do I want to play those guys"

Fun times....

And even if we don't sneak in this year I think we can still have a lot fun upsetting the apple carts of some other teams down the stretch.

Next 4 games....

• Away @Islanders
  • Away @Canadiens
  • Away @Flyers and,
  • Home to Flyers 

Basically going head to head against other teams teams in the wild card mix.  Welcome to the NHL eastern conference playoffs conversation.

Trade deadline coming up on Tuesday too.  I wonder if Carolina is looking for a goalie?  If Hank would agree to go he would become their #1 instantly

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

It's sad how the King's career is ending. As much as we love him, his time isn't now. It seems he's the only one who doesn't realize that.

I can't bring myself to get angry over it, he was that great a Ranger, but it's the classic case of an athlete not knowing when to move on.

He has earned the right to collect his pay check and sit on his no trade clause.  What he doesn't get is the right to get more starts than is justified by his current skill level when measured against those of the other two.

Props to Quinn for making that call when he did.

So now Hank can retire as a Ranger or, if there is a team willing to roll the dice with him in the next 48 hours then he can decide to go on one last cup hunt with a new team.

Hank aside, i am not sure we are definitely sellers at this point.  The team may be playing too well as is.

Skjei for a first! Does that mean we pay D'Angelo now?

Islanders tonight in their building.  Good test.  They upgraded at the deadline and they were probably ahead of us anyway but we seemed to have their number in the early head to head contests.

I wonder which defensemen will dress tonight

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I'll be curious to see if there will be any call ups from the AHL to replace skjei? Might as well get some of the young talent up to experience the energy of a playoff push. Valuable experience to draw on for next year.

Kreider should be stoked having gotten his contract extended. His linemates (Mikah and Pavel) 

should also be energized!! Go Rangers!

Buchnevich is playing after the accident?

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Damn, 40+ saves for Georgie but the Islanders tie it late.

Rangers need to avoid these 3 point games against teams in the playoff race.

Zib wins it in OT.

Exactly.  The win was good but we gifted a point to a direct rival who is ahead of us in the race.

Still... Pretty impressive road winning streak continues.  On to Montreal!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

No further review of the Trouba check, NHL officials deemed it a clean full body hit.

I was flipping between the Rangers and Islanders TV feeds last night, mostly on the Islanders one and oh boy, are they home town commentators over there.  The Trouba hit was not only a clear "head shot" but he also left his feet and... a dirty play against defenseless player.  I guess they missed the part where he had the puck.  A trifecta no less.   Also the disallowed goal was clearly nothing to do with the player backing into the crease because "he was pushed in".... It was completely nuts.... the replay was going in slow motion clearly showing the Islander was not pushed at all until after the "goal" went in and even then he was pushed by the defenseman from the side and out of the crease.  I guess he got in there by magic in the first place.

I do get the frustration with their team having so much of the play especially in the first period and ending the period down by one.

Suck it Islanders.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Agreed, and as Sam Rosen pointed out, he should not have to defend himself for making a clean hit.

The league should consider suspending guys who jump guys for making good checks.

Not sure I buy that.  Clean hit or not (it was), Pageau was just sticking up for his new team mate.   I would like to think Rangers players would do the same if the situation was reversed.

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I can see sticking up for your teammate if he gets cheap shot. No need to jump a guy for making a clean hit, when you can return the favor legally, it's hockey/  

Agree to differ on this.  Pageau had a split second and no benefit of replay to decide whether or not to stick up for a teammate and so I have no issue with his response in the spur of the moment.  Obviously it doesn't hurt him to set the tone in his own locker room with that action too but the play on the ice did not have the feel of such a calculated move.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Pageau obviously thought the hit was high, and I can understand his actions, but you see players jumping guys for big hits too many times.

Sometimes it's obvious the hit is clean and it still happens.

If anyone even breathed on #99 back in the day.  clean or not those guys were going to catch a severe beating and everyone in hockey knew it.  The Oilers kept Dave Semenko on staff for just that purpose.  I watched the Broad Street Bullies documentary a few years ago and the same was apparently true for Bobby Clarke.  Heck the Flyers even told a story about how one year their top draft pick finished a check on Clarke in preseason practice one day and he got sent to the hospital as a reward.  My sense is that there is far less of that in the NHL than there used to be but it is not zero either.

I do have to say that it was kinda funny how the 5'9" Pageau  jumped the 6'3" Trouba.

Speaking of which.... Home and home against the Flyer this weekend.  We have not looked good against them in a while.  They are also hot right now and so that is a stern test.

A little concerned here that they might come out flat against a Montreal team that maybe they feel that they "should beat".

Nothing i can put my finger on exactly.  Quinn is saying all the right things but a bit like the unease I felt before the San Jose squeaker last week and with the Flyers home and home coming up this weekend  I would hate to undo all the good work that got us where we are now.

• Upvote 1

Adam Fox was playing out of his skin tonight.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

5 in row, 9 of 10, 9 straight wins on the road. (Franchise record was 7)

Bread 11 games point streak, Mika 9 games, 6 game goal scoring streak.(Tied for longest in league this year)

Georgie is playing lights out.

Rangers hottest team in the league.

And a real good test coming up too.  I was hoping for 3 points from these three games but now I think we can aim higher.  Maybe occupying a WC spot as early as next week

• Upvote 1

If hank is going to get any starts at all i would think it would be on the tail end of a back to back like tonight.  You know that Georgie is young and hungry for whatever playing time he can get.  Obviously he is the hot hand as well.   Interesting to see if that happens.

Also does Buchnevich dress for the game tonight?

32 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Georgie is starting, no word on Buchy yet.

Wow.... Hank is pretty deep down the depth chart in that case.

Still, the hot hand and all that.  Cannot argue with Quinn's decisions up until this point.  Coach of the year contender for sure.

All streaks come to an end.  We started a new one right after dropping the game to the Bruins a few games ago so all is not lost.  Last night's game was actually balanced with us having a number of good chances before they went up 2-1 against the run of the play.  I definitely think our guys believe that we can play with those guys.  Sunday is big game however.  No pretending it isn't'.

I am curious to see who dresses in goal and I am thinking we may see Hank this time around.  What is the plan to provide a body in front of net now that Kreider is out?  I am not sure there are really any good options there.  No obvious way to replace the $45 million dollar man on such short notice.

I am going to the Bluejackets game on Tuesday.  Should be fun.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Maybe Julien Gauthier can step up and do some of what Krieder does in front of the net.

Hopefully they call up Kravtsov, and he can contribute.

I would also like to see them try to draw Lias Anderson back from Sweden.

Both of those key youngsters have been playing well on the lower level.

I liked what Anderson did when he was here.  Gritty player and yes he made some rookie mistakes but all in all the kind of toughness we are going to need more of.  Not sure the issue was and why he went back home to Sweden. Not enough playing time?

• Upvote 1

Well we certainly did not do much to help Hank out, taking those early penalties, but with that said Hank was not sharp either.  Tough loss to a team that matches up with us pretty well.  Maybe we were all getting ahead of ourselves a little bit.  I know I was.

It seems like this has been a problem for the Rangers for the better part of a decade but if our face-off winning percentage does not improve we will not be going anywhere this year or next.  I remember when Brian Boyle was our only weapon there.  As a team we were bad even then but we never really replaced that part of his game.  It is like having a 100 meter race and spotting everyone else in the race 5 meters at the start.

In terms of this 2-game series, we made plenty of chances it seemed to me.  The difference was that our snipers were not able to put away any of the big chances when the game was still close and the Flyers didn't miss much of anything.  An imperfect storm.

Since this is turning into a bit of a piss and moan post there is another thing that has been bothering me for a while.  Jacob Trouba is not the only one who does this by any means but he is by far the worst offender in my opinion.  Certainly the worst offender of anyone getting paid the big bucks like he is.  It seems like several times each period he chooses to make the fancy (and dangerous) pass out of his own zone which frequently leads to giveaways, not getting the puck out and oftentimes extended periods of pressure/goals by the opposition.  Just get the damned puck out of there already.

Don't get me wrong I like Trouba and his physicality.  I like his ability to get his shot on net and in general I like any free agent signing where the player plays up to or above his contract but this D-zone sloppiness is killing us. 

• Upvote 1

Giorgiev has been sharp tonight

It may be a little unrealistic to go from bottom feeders (as we were last year)  to the top of the league in one year but i am encouraged that we can skate with some of the best teams in the league.  Last night with St. Louis and before that with the Bruins a few weeks ago.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Shesterkin to start against the Devils!

Great news.  The team needs a lift although I hope he is not rushing it.

The way everyone else seems to have stalled in the standings we are still in with a live shot to have a chance. A chance for our kids to get some cup playoff experience in a season that is basically at least a year early and house money for us at this point.

PP is all world right now and the defense has not lost all that much with the trade deadline move which sent Skjei to Carolina.  Smith has been really good over this recent stretch even though I fear his game will drop off again as it has in the past.

The only missing tumbler to drop into place and I know I have said this before would be if the light would begin to go on for Kakko.  The kid gives plenty of effort every night and he is getting decent looks but he seems to be over thinking things.  Not a good recipe in the NHL where everyone else thinks fast and plays fast too.   I understand that he only just turned 19 but how good would this team be if he were to add his own good story onto the other ones we are seeing all over the place?

• Upvote 2

I liked Brassard but man was that some kinda deal

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough the Devils have been playing pretty well lately and should provide a stiffer test than they would at other points this year.  Good thing they are playing tonight and we will get them on the 2nd game of their back to back.

Maybe a little bit of payback from the schedule maker for us after last week.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

When the story of the last 15 games is written. if we get in it will be because Igor Shesterkin came back and did not miss a beat.  So here it is and we get to see if he can carry on the way he started.

Devils looked really good against the Stanley Cup champion Blues last night which is obviously a pretty big scalp for them.  Talk about a team playing with house money and with no expectations or pressure on them.  They get to go out each night and be loose and ready to mess up some other team's post season plans.

Should be a fun game.  4-3 rangers in regulation

• Upvote 1

No reason to go end-to-end with these guys.  We need to tighten it up a bit.

that went well

Let's hope they all come up to a club that sneaks in and gets some playoff experience in 2020

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company