NY Rangers reboot 2019-20

OK so team needs.

1. Complete the transition from Hank
  2. Decide if we want to live with Trouba (may not be possible with the contract)
  3. Tighten up on D in general (#2 may help with that)
  4. Get a little more physical overall particularly at the back (#2 may hurt with that)
  5. Take a long look at at Mark Staal.  I fear that with age he will become more of a liability every year.
  6. The light to fully go on with Kakko (the Carolina series gave us a few hints)
  7. Nothing we can do now about Chris Kreider after we just gave him a new deal.  I fear he will disappear in big games for years to come.
  8. Re-sign D'Angelo if his price is affordable but more likely we need to let him walk.

Rangers biggest need is at center. They need to find a good one with there 2nd 1st round pick.

They are going to have to seriously consider buy outs for Staal, Smith and Hank. Hopefully they could move and eat 50% of one of those contracts.

They have to deal with D'angelo, Strome, Lemieux, Georgiev and Fast who need to be resigned or moved. Fast is unrestricted so is McKegg and Littieri.

Hopefully Vitali Kravtsov, Nils Lundkvist and K'Andre Miller can make the jump in the next 2 years.

27 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Rangers biggest need is at center. They need to find a good one with there 2nd 1st round pick.

They are going to have to seriously consider buy outs for Staal, Smith and Hank. Hopefully they could move and eat 50% of one of those contracts.

They have to deal with D'angelo, Strome, Lemieux, Georgiev and Fast who need to be resigned or moved. Fast is unrestricted so is McKegg and Littieri.

Hopefully Vitali Kravtsov, Nils Lundkvist and K'Andre Miller can make the jump in the next 2 years.

You have to think that MSG is a very attractive destination for free agents in the next few years.  Maybe it helps us to land the right puzzle pieces.

55 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You have to think that MSG is a very attractive destination for free agents in the next few years.  Maybe it helps us to land the right puzzle pieces.

Yes, especially in the center department, but the cap is going to remain flat, and the Rangers are going to be tight until they get Staal, Smith and Hank off the books.

3 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yes, especially in the center department, but the cap is going to remain flat, and the Rangers are going to be tight until they get Staal, Smith and Hank off the books.

Part of the reason I am assuming that D'Angelo is a goner

56 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I was thinking about this today.  In prior seasons MSG was a really prized landing spot for free-agents (Panarin, Vesey, Fox, Matt Gilroy, etc) but I wonder if the economic hit that NYC has taken (and will continue to take) is going to affect that.  If NY turns into San Francisco (drug addicts, defecation on the street, violence, etc), not sure how many players are going to want to be here going forward.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I think that all happens in 1 more year.  The other concern is protecting key players from the expansion draft (for the Kraken).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Part of the reason I am assuming that D'Angelo is a goner

It's gonna be interesting, I really like his personality but he may be a goner. He is going to demand allot based on his numbers, but he's still a defensive liability. Hopefully they can workout a fair deal, if not, we are really going to need someone to step up to QB the PP, which should be Trouba based on what he's getting paid.

25 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

It's gonna be interesting, I really like his personality but he may be a goner. He is going to demand allot based on his numbers, but he's still a defensive liability. Hopefully they can workout a fair deal, if not, we are really going to need someone to step up to QB the PP, which should be Trouba based on what he's getting paid.

We do seem to be fairly deep on blue line talent who can make plays moving forward.  i also like D'Angelo's ability to put the puck in the net but all things being equal I think we need a stay at home enforcer or two.  D'Angelo may end up being a victim of the numbers game here and if he does get a big payday somewhere else I wish him good luck.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Out of curiosity, anyone know if we acquired any extra draft picks for next year with the trades we made in the past couple of years?  

We have 2 1st round picks, no 2nd, 2 3rds and 3 7ths in this draft, 2 3rds and 2 4ths next year.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Rangers.htm

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was thinking about this today.  In prior seasons MSG was a really prized landing spot for free-agents (Panarin, Vesey, Fox, Matt Gilroy, etc) but I wonder if the economic hit that NYC has taken (and will continue to take) is going to affect that.  If NY turns into San Francisco (drug addicts, defecation on the street, violence, etc), not sure how many players are going to want to be here going forward.

As the wealthy folks pour out of NY you better believe taxes will be going up to support the shortfall. I hope this guy wants to play in NYC

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

As the wealthy folks pour out of NY you better believe taxes will be going up to support the shortfall. I hope this guy wants to play in NYC

Of course now that the Rangers are really on the right course, the country is completely falling apart.  In a sickening way, this probably is also a good sign for the NYJ (not that they've got the pieces that the Rangers have).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...