NY Rangers reboot 2019-20

10 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I really like how this team is getting better.

You expect the ups and downs because of their but last night was a real nice bounce back from Vegas.

I don't know if they are playoff ready yet but they are getting their and it is nice to watch.

they won that game while being heavily outplayed....        the d cant get out of their own end for minutes at a time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Ah

didn't realize that

Interesting problem. Maybe he'll agree to go to a Cup contender, he certainly deserves to raise it

I don't think so, he already said he wanted to stay when the Rangers decided to rebuild in 2018. They'll probably trade Georgiev before the deadline this year.

36 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I don't think so, he already said he wanted to stay when the Rangers decided to rebuild in 2018. They'll probably trade Georgiev before the deadline this year.

That's a shame, he's only 23 but if Henrik stays for awhile I guess it makes sense. I'd rather see the 23 yr old stay. Youth is the future of this team but Georgiev could bring a nice player back. 

• Upvote 1

DeAngelo became the only Rangers defense man to have a 5 point game with a hat trick.

The Rangers are already capable of having a top offense, and they have some tremendous D prospects coming up the ranks.

Lundqvist is a great Ranger, and he earned the right to go out the way he wants to, but at this point it would be better for the team if he would let them move him.

It would be great to keep Georgiev and Shesterkin, if either one of them develop to Hank like status, the Rangers may have a shot at multiple cups.

They have done some good things thru the rebuild, but they also have made some mistakes with moves, picks and prospects.

Hopefully they stay the course and make good decisions going forward, would love to see a dynasty at MSG.     

• Upvote 1

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/01/09/new-york-rangers-tony-deangelo-hat-trick/

Rangers’ DeAngelo has one of the most productive games ever for a defenseman

There are only a handful of defensemen in NHL history that have had the kind of game that Tony DeAngelo had for the New York Rangers on Thursday night.

He was one of the many stars in their 6-3 win over the New Jersey Devils thanks to a rather historic performance.

His night: Three goals (his first career hat trick), two assists, seven shots on goal, and he finished as a plus-3.

Just for some perspective on that sort of effort, the only defenders to ever finish a game with three goals, five points, and seven shots on goal in a single game are Bobby Orr (who did it three different times), Guy Lapointe, Denis Potvin, Reed Larson, Paul Coffey, and Rob Blake.

Here is the complete list, via NHL.com database.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-09-at-9.54.40-PM.png

DeAngelo is the first defenseman to have such a game since Blake during the 2000-01 season. He is just the second since the 1985-86 season. He is also one of only five on that list to also finish the game as a plus-3 or better.

Pretty dominant night overall.

Here are the highlights.

DeAngelo is in the middle of a breakout season for the Rangers and is now up to 11 goals and 36 points for the season. Both of those numbers are already new career highs. He has hit those marks in only 43 games.

Along with DeAngelo, it was another huge night for a couple of other Rangers. Artemi Panarin finished with three points for the second consecutive game, while rookie goalie Igor Shesterkin made his second consecutive start and stopped 47 out of 50 shots.

So who else hates losing to the Islanders?

Would have been an Islander fan if they handled it right.

Back when they announced the team, hockey was growing exponentially on LI. Cantiaque, Morely, Bellmore rinks had several leagues, the MJHA (NHP Arrows, LI Flyers etc) was hot and now after years of following the EHL, real NHL hockey was coming to our backyard. No more bad seats at the Garden, no more late night hanging around Penn waiting for the LIRR. 15" drive and park ! Go Long Island !

Then they announce that the team was to be the NEW YORK "Islanders" so they can access the NYC market. WHAT!? Not the Long Island Ducks? or Cougars? or anything? This is supposed to Long Island's addition to the bigs and start of it's own identity. Made us all so mad, we stayed on 34th St. Well of course we could have seen many more cups but I'll still trade those all for "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" plus the dynasty that they are building NOW to comfort me in my old age.

Still hate losing to the Islanders though.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

So who else hates losing to the Islanders?

Would have been an Islander fan if they handled it right.

Back when they announced the team, hockey was growing exponentially on LI. Cantiaque, Morely, Bellmore rinks had several leagues, the MJHA (NHP Arrows, LI Flyers etc) was hot and now after years of following the EHL, real NHL hockey was coming to our backyard. No more bad seats at the Garden, no more late night hanging around Penn waiting for the LIRR. 15" drive and park ! Go Long Island !

Then they announce that the team was to be the NEW YORK "Islanders" so they can access the NYC market. WHAT!? Not the Long Island Ducks? or Cougars? or anything? This is supposed to Long Island's addition to the bigs and start of it's own identity. Made us all so mad, we stayed on 34th St. Well of course we could have seen many more cups but I'll still trade those all for "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" plus the dynasty that they are building NOW to comfort me in my old age.

Still hate losing to the Islanders though.  

Yea screw the islanders but it’s fine we just beat them twice. 

Being from LI my family was Rangers fans before there was an islanders and when they rolled around I guess there was never a thought of switching teams thank God. I’d much rather root for a losing Rangers team than a second class org like the icelanders who have had one good era in their entire history. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Sounds like either Lundqvist will be traded or bought out. Trade would be better, but it looks like they will do what they have to to keep Georgie.

Also they are talking with Krieder's agent. Hopefully they can trade him and then sign him to a team friendly deal.

Lundqvist isn't getting traded. He's never going to wave the no trade clause. 

As for Kreider trading him for a nice return and then signing him to a good contract would obviously be great.

1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Lundqvist isn't getting traded. He's never going to wave the no trade clause. 

As for Kreider trading him for a nice return and then signing him to a good contract would obviously be great.

You may be right, but right now Lundqvist is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.

Rangers have other capable backups, so if thy do trade Georgie, then Lundqvist is going to be backing up and mentoring Shestyorkin the rest of his time here.

Or they can buy him out.

7 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

You may be right, but right now Lundqvist is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.

Rangers have other capable backups, so if thy do trade Georgie, then Lundqvist is going to be backing up and mentoring Shestyorkin the rest of his time here.

Or they can buy him out.

The Rangers aren't going to buy him. They're going to let him finish out the contract and Georgiev will be traded unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

The Rangers aren't going to buy him. They're going to let him finish out the contract and Georgiev will be traded unfortunately. 

The cap is going to come into play, they may have to buy him out if they need the 3 million it would save them.

As far as future backups if Georgiev is moved, the Rangers are in good shape with Adam Huska, Tyler Wall, and Olof Lindbom all looking good in the system.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Shesterkin is the clear cut #1 goalie and it sounds like they are going to ride the season out with him making the bulk of the starts.

Gotta wonder what might have been if they kept him in the NHL straight out of camp, or brought him up after a week of dominating the AHL.

Could very well be in playoff position right now. I haven't seen the guy give up a bad goal. Also I like this Phil Digiuseppe. Why he's been sitting in the minors while the rest of the 4th line stank it up all year is beyond me?

• Upvote 1