Losmeister

NY Rangers reboot 2019-20

Larry brooks has an article today making an argument that the Mika-Brassard trade is turning out better than the Gomez-McDonaugh trade. Crazy. Actually a credit to the FO to even have two of these such lopsided trades in 8-10 year span. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Larry brooks has an article today making an argument that the Mika-Brassard trade is turning out better than the Gomez-McDonaugh trade. Crazy. Actually a credit to the FO to even have two of these such lopsided trades in 8-10 year span. 

Mika's contract is one of the best deals in the NHL, and perhaps all of sports.

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

For some weird reason I remember exactly where I was when I heard the trade on WFAN in my car and thinking that I liked it. I never could’ve imagined he’d be this good though. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

For some weird reason I remember exactly where I was when I heard the trade on WFAN in my car and thinking that I liked it. I never could’ve imagined he’d be this good though. 

I remember too except I was a fan of brassard and new nothing reallly of Mika. 

Six degrees of separation 

trade Gomez 

Cap space to sign gaborik

gaborik for brassard 

brassard for minka

• Upvote 3

RIP pocket rocket richard

Image result for henri richard

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

RIP pocket rocket richard

He played on 11 Stanley Cup-winning teams. RIP

31 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Shesterkin to start against the Devils!

Great news.  The team needs a lift although I hope he is not rushing it.

The way everyone else seems to have stalled in the standings we are still in with a live shot to have a chance. A chance for our kids to get some cup playoff experience in a season that is basically at least a year early and house money for us at this point.

PP is all world right now and the defense has not lost all that much with the trade deadline move which sent Skjei to Carolina.  Smith has been really good over this recent stretch even though I fear his game will drop off again as it has in the past.

The only missing tumbler to drop into place and I know I have said this before would be if the light would begin to go on for Kakko.  The kid gives plenty of effort every night and he is getting decent looks but he seems to be over thinking things.  Not a good recipe in the NHL where everyone else thinks fast and plays fast too.   I understand that he only just turned 19 but how good would this team be if he were to add his own good story onto the other ones we are seeing all over the place?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

We also received a 2nd round pick in that deal who turned into Olof Lindbom. 

Know idea how he's doing but hopefully contributes to make that an even better trade!!

• Upvote 2

I liked Brassard but man was that some kinda deal

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

We also received a 2nd round pick in that deal who turned into Olof Lindbom. 

Know idea how he's doing but hopefully contributes to make that an even better trade!!

Taking a look at the Rangers “controversial” pick, Olof Lindbom

sweden.jpg Olof Lindbom (Getty images)

Many fans were angered at the Rangers’ second round selection, Swedish goalie Olof Lindbom. And I must admit, I was too. There is simply no need for a goalie. Alexandar Georgiev, who spent ten games of his season in the NHL, along with top goalie prospect Igor Shestyorkin, the Rangers seem to be set at goalie. So why would they take a goalie when they have these two assets? Also worth noting, is that there were many highly ranked prospects still left on the board, such as Missisauga center Ryan McLeod, US U18 Team defenseman Bode Wilde, and Niagara IceDogs assistant captain Akil Thomas.

Well, we all should know that the Rangers and their coaching staff don’t like taking the best player available, but rather the one that they like the most, and/or best fits their needs. But that still doesn’t really explain why they took Lindbom. However, Rick Carpiniello has reported that NYR goalie coach Benoit Allaire was “thrilled” with the selection, which provides a little bit of relief regarding the fit of the second-round pick.

A source says that Rangers goalie whisperer Benoit Allaire was thrilled with the selection of goalie Olof Lindbom, FWIW. More on that in @TheAthleticNYC later.

The first upside of Lindbom is that he was ranked 53rd overall in TSN’s Bob McKenzie’s Final Draft Ranking. He was the second ranked goalie, behind Drummondville netminder Olivier Rodrigue, who was only ranked four spots higher at 49.

Lindbom is an underager, meaning he was still 17 years old at the time of the draft. He turns 18 on July 23rd. Lindbom has plenty of time to improve his game, especially because of our next reason.

Lindbom is almost a lock to play in the World Junior Championships. Last year, he played for the Swedes at the U18 WJCs, and was named the best goaltender in the tournament. He led Sweden to a bronze medal, and was also named to the tournament’s All-Star Team. Also last year, he was a part of the Ivan Hlinka Memorial squad, and earned another bronze medal with Team Sweden. And even before that, in 2016-17 he played in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Lindbom and his teammates made it to the top, winning the gold. Lindbom was also named to the All-Star Team at the WHC.

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough the Devils have been playing pretty well lately and should provide a stiffer test than they would at other points this year.  Good thing they are playing tonight and we will get them on the 2nd game of their back to back.

Maybe a little bit of payback from the schedule maker for us after last week.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

When the story of the last 15 games is written. if we get in it will be because Igor Shesterkin came back and did not miss a beat.  So here it is and we get to see if he can carry on the way he started.

Devils looked really good against the Stanley Cup champion Blues last night which is obviously a pretty big scalp for them.  Talk about a team playing with house money and with no expectations or pressure on them.  They get to go out each night and be loose and ready to mess up some other team's post season plans.

Should be a fun game.  4-3 rangers in regulation

• Upvote 1

Worst possible outcome resulted this afternoon with the Canes getting 2 points and the Islanders getting 1.

Rangers really need to get 2 points tonight. They have a tough Western road trip coming up and still have 3 games against the Penguins.

Meanwhile the Canes play Detroit this week, it's not going to be easy. Shesterkin needs to keep winning, great to have him back, hopefully Krieder also has a speedy recovery.

No reason to go end-to-end with these guys.  We need to tighten it up a bit.

While the Rangers don’t have the depth to make a deep playoff run, it would be very helpful to our young players to gain experience this year in understanding the intensity of the playoffs. Puts us a year ahead of where everyone thought we would be this year. Hoping to squeeze into playoffs which should help us in attracting top tier FA in the future 

• Upvote 3

Rangers Swedish prospects led again by red-hot Lias Andersson

Lias Andersson is back to playing at a level that made the Rangers draft him in the first round. Nils Lundkvist continues his record breaking season, and Karl Henriksson proving why he deserves a hard look soon with the big club.

Lias Andersson

Last week, Andersson kept the pedal to the metal by adding two more goals and an assist. He now has 11 points in 13 games for HV71 in the SHL. What has been most impressive is the timing of his scoring. In two of the games played last week he either scored the game winner or decider in a shootout. As long as he keeps scoring his value keeps soaring. And just maybe the door isn’t closed with the Rangers either.

Karl Henriksson

F100D838-6261-42E7-959E-BA6261979FFD-600 Henriksson (NYPOST)

Don’t look now but the Rangers 2nd round pick last summer is having himself quite the season. The young pivot has 6 goals and 41 points in 27 games for Frolunda’s junior team.

Despite only playing 27 games in SuperElit, Henriksson is tied for third in the league in assists this season (all of the other nine players in the top 10 have skated in at least 30 games). In addition, Henriksson ranks seventh in SuperElit (min. 10 games played) in points per game in 2019-20 (1.52).

Michael Rappaport, NYR PR Dept.

Nils Lundkvist

We can’t say enough about how good Nils Lundkvist is going to be. He continues to add to his U20 record season in the SHL by scoring twice last week. That brings his totals up to 29 in 43 games. This is a boy playing 20 minutes a night among men, we must keep that in mind. This summer, he will get an invite to camp and I can’t wait to see what he can do.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-swedish-prospects-led-again-by-red-hot-lias-andersson/

• Upvote 1

Let's hope they all come up to a club that sneaks in and gets some playoff experience in 2020

• Upvote 2