jetsman1

Hopeful article about Darnold

49 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This article hits exactly why Sam should have been considered as elite of a prospect as Luck, and why its insane that Baker (who I like) and a RB went before him.

Lol. “Insane to take Baker before him...???”

I think Baker proved last year why he was picked ahead of Sam. Quite decisively actually.

Barkley has nothing to be ashamed of either, despite the RB/QB value thing.

More to the point, you should forget about why Mayfield was picked first, and be more concerned about Darnold proving he deserved to be taken ahead of Josh Allen. There was very little to separate between those two last year. Despite all the  feel good projecting around here.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You can't possibly look at a rookie year and make a statement of "Quite decisively" taking him first was the right choice- Mayfield unquestionably had a better year - but rookie years are tricky and Mayfield had substantially more talent. 

I have little doubt in my mind that Darnold is the better QB and will have the better career. 

I have no problem with thinking Darnold will have a wonderful career. I think he will also.

What I do take issue with is when people here say how obvious it is that Sam will be better then Mayfield. Based on what exactly? And why the constant need to try and convince each other that Sam should’ve been taken first, and he is the better of the two?

All we have to go by so far IS their rookie year, and Baker was clearly better, and look at their numbers... Yes, Mayfield was decisively better. Anything  else is opinion or as I said, Jets fans projecting.

Why not let Darnold actually prove ON THE FIELD that he is better? He hasn’t yet, but if and when he does there’ll be plenty of opportunities to talk about it.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

I didnt say it was obvious that Sam will be better then mayfield.  I said it was obvious that he should have been picked ahead of him.  I think Mayfield will be a good NFL QB, was a solid fit in cleveland and would have been happy to have him be a Jet if things went the other way. But Sam didn't have the character concerns, didnt have the "Big 12 defenses" concerns, and is 6'4 225 as opposed to 6'1.  Thats why he was a better prospect.

Baker also had a better rookie year - does his age and experience count?  How about the team around him? How about the level of competition he faced?

Comparing their rookie years means very little.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Darnold had a 5% better comp%, threw more TDs than ints (unlike Josh), with both better TD and int percentages, while throwing for 50 more yards/game. Allen has a longer way to go as a passer. 

All good points by both of you. 

Sometimes I rush thru a quote and don’t explain myself properly.

Im all for Being optimistic about Sam. Let’s face it, without him we are screwed. My objection is the need to put down a Mayfield, Allen or Barkley when talking about Sam.

i think those teams are happy with who they took.

I couldn’t understand at first why the Giants kept saying they were taking the RB, but then I thought about it, and if they took a QB last year, rightly or wrongly he would’ve sat two years behind Eli anyway.

As for the Browns, I always say I’m no draft guru, but if I were them I’d have taken Barkley first, and one of the QBs, either Darnold or Mayfield 4th. The way it played out though their GM knew better then me (shocker) as it appears he got a really good QB and CB.

44 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Don't you find so much of Allen's success last year was due to his running - he was a bigger stronger Steve Young running QB last year.  He seemed to take off early and often last year and broke off a lot of long runs and was way faster and stronger than expected.  Allen didn't have any of the kinds of nuanced and  tough throws that Darnold showed in that article.  Darnold's a QB with great instincts, Allen is a Cam Newton clone without the touch or feel, JMO.

Agree with you about Allen and the running last year, but he also has the strongest arm of the QBs taken last year in my opinion. He’s very wild with it though. When you look at their seasons though, there wasn’t much to separate him and Darnold.

i really don’t buy into this thing about Darnold being so accurate though either. At least not consistently. Sure he made some great throws, but he made some really bad ones also. So many here want to blame everything he did wrong on his receivers and or coaches, that’s not being fair in my opinion.

I think both he and Allen will become very good QBs, Rosen too for that matter. I just think the 3 of them have a lot to improve on. I realize it isn’t a popular opinion here, but I honestly feel Mayfield is way ahead of them all at this point, and I thought it was pretty evident last year.

Of course that doesn’t mean Sam or the others won’t become the same or better, I just don’t think they are right now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, how dare we be literal when discussing literal things like literal metrics to measure literal accuracy.....

Go right ahead.

I'm getting tired of JN Posters who think they get to decide who is or isn't a fan of this team and it's players....

He was 31st in the NFL in Completion % in 2018 at 57.7%, below the NFL's "Mendoza Line" of 60%.

Only Josh Allen and Josh Rosen were worse. 

That is simply not "extremely accurate".  

Again, that isn't to say he cannot work hard and improve his accuracy to be materially more consistent, which will be required if he is to be an elite NFL QB, but he was not "extremely accurate" in 2018.  

I just don;t get the homer desire for 1984-esque Newspeak when it comes to guys they like.  He's a young QB who needs to develop, there is NOTHING WRONG with him not being "extremely accurate" yet.  We don't need to redefine what words and metrics mean or engage in extreme hyperbole to be in lockstep with some Party LIne on Darnold. 

Yes, he occasionally makes very accurate throws.  Elite throws even.   No, he is not overall extremely accurate...yet.

We'll see this year, with Anderson, Crowder, Enunwa, Herndon and especially Bell, there should be no "blame the other guys" excuse to be made.  

...and yet you’re getting drawn into a “discussion” with the self appointed judge of who is or isn’t a Jets fan. Don’t waste your time.

Simply not agreeing with his point of view leads to his “accusations” about your level of fandom (lol) and comments about what a miserable person you are. 🤔 He seems unable to discuss anything in a civil tone. Always stoops to nasty snark.

By my count, you’re the 3rd person to call him out on it this week, including the owner of the site.

But yet he keeps on keeping on. Oblivious to how he comes off.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I never said he wasn’t a Jet fan- I know he is but that was his spin on what I said. I was discussing accuracy v completion percentage and his penchant for what I believe is and has been an unfair critique of Sam.

And he’s shown  he’s man enough to defend himself and doesn’t need your help. 

And if you’re going to report me to the mods have the guts to do it in public. 

Hey @Maxman this guy that you asked me to “knock it off” is now suggesting I’M not a Jet fan. 

Been a Jet fan since 1969. 

Does this guy get a warning? 

Parroting again, huh?

I never reported you sweetie, that pushback you got was all because of your own actions. So now when the mods read here you claiming I reported you, you’re going to look even more childish then you usually do.

33 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Darnold not only had much less talent than Mayfield, but also had one of the worst coaching staffs of all time in his corner as well.

I know this is a popular theme here when defending Sam. You’re right, not a lot of talent on O or the CS for Sam. But that argument is useless when comparing him to Mayfield.

Baker went from a horrible coach in Hue Jackson, to a in season replacement (Freddie Kitchens) whose inexperience is being touted here by almost everyone as a reason why the Browns will be bad this year. You can’t have it both ways, sorry. Bakers coaches sucked also. So stop with the “well Sam had bad coaches stuff.”

As far as talent, please. The Browns won what? One game in two years before Baker? They were 0-2 again last year and down 14-0 when Baker came off the bench week 3 and led them to a win against the Jets.

Again, you can’t have it both ways.The only change in the team that won once in 34 games, then suddenly went 7-6-1 was Baker Mayfield. So stop with the “he had better talent stuff.”

Baker had a record breaking year. He was better then Sam. It wasn’t even close. Sorry. There is no way for anyone to logically argue this fact. You might LIKE Sam more, or FEEL he may become the better player, but he wasn’t better last year.

41 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Are we really going to ignore Jarvis Landry, Antonio Calloway, David Njoku, Nick Chubb and a significantly better OL?

look I’m not saying you aren’t right but the browns record and their offensive talent doesn’t really have the connection you are trying to make them have. They had been steadily stocking up on offensive talent for quite some time. They lost games because they didn’t have the QB. This all came together for them just this past year.

This would be my only gripe with your post, otherwise, it’s a fair post.

You make a good point about them only needing a QB.

i could try to counter it with “how really talented were those guys if they were historically bad for two years and two more games”, but we’d both be spinning our wheels.

Plus if I’m being honest, I don’t want to die on that hill because there’s a big part of me that agrees with you. The talent of the two teams wasn’t the main point of what I’ve been debating in this thread anyway.

It somehow evolved there away from the main topic, which was #1 surprise at someone taking Mayfield first in the draft over Darnold, and then went to #2 about how Darnold actually showed he was the better QB last year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eaton Beaver said:

It is obvious that you are not a Jets fan, so why don't you take your pessimistic views to wherever your favorite team has a forum. Better yet, go to the Browns forum, I am sure they will welcome you with open arms!

giphy.gif

LOL Another guy who’s here 15 minutes who wants to decide who can be a Jets fan.

GFY.

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Hope he never loses that LB mentality, or his BB moves, should serve him well as he matures as a QB.  His physical toughness will serve him well vs NFL defenses.

There was improvement toward the end of the season, vs some very good defenses, now it’s up to him, his teammates and coaches to build on that.  

History has already shown that a great rookie season doesn’t always indicate who will ultimately be the better QB. 

I’m looking at your avatar as you talk to us about what history shows.

The first thing that popped into my mind was how USC quarterbacks have historically performed in the NFL.

Maybe we should hold off on the history thing? 😇

On 7/14/2019 at 4:32 PM, Peace Frog said:

I never said he wasn’t a Jet fan- I know he is but that was his spin on what I said. I was discussing accuracy v completion percentage and his penchant for what I believe is and has been an unfair critique of Sam.

And he’s shown  he’s man enough to defend himself and doesn’t need your help. 

And if you’re going to report me to the mods have the guts to do it in public. 

Hey @Maxman this guy that you asked me to “knock it off” is now suggesting I’M not a Jet fan. 

Been a Jet fan since 1969. 

Does this guy get a warning? 

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

No I'm on vacation and all I see is you telling on someone LOL.

Ouch.

I told you the other day, you’re a grown man. Stop acting like a child.

But you just keep doing what you do, @Peace Frog it’s working out well for you... 😉

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company