jetsman1

Hopeful article about Darnold

5 minutes ago, ECURB said:

It's not confusing actually. It's almost impossible to have a poor completion % if you are accurate.

No need to spin it. He has work to do.

I think the opposite is true. 

You cannot have a high completion percentage if you are inaccurate but a very young very accurate QB throwing to crap receivers with a crap line certainly can have a poor completion percentage. 

Case in point, Sam Darnold. No one is saying he doesn’t need work but the accuracy is clearly evident. The video basically said it. Inaccurate guys don’t make some of the throws he made last year or at USC. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Accuracy is about consistency.  Single great throws do not make you accurate.  Being consistently accurate makes you accurate.

Darnold is not an accurate QB yet.  He certainly can work hard and grow into one.  

But trying to paint the least accurate QB in the NFL last year as somehow being elite in accuracy because he made a few great throws is a bit of a stretch.

There is no reason to fluff the kid.  He has  a ton of work and development still to come to be what we want, an elite QB.  He is not that yet, he's still just a high quality prospect.  Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Lol ok Captain Literal.

Btw, I’ll get ahead of myself as much as I want.

I get it, you’re not a fan. Been watching him for 3 plus years. 

He’s extremely accurate. 

But yeah, throwing to the crap receivers he was throwing to last year is evidence that he’s not accurate. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Fish doesn't believe in what he considers false hope until the player proves it on the field.. Nothing wrong with that except I think if Fish won a 500 million lottery he would complain about the taxes..:curse:

Fish also doesn’t believe in press conferences or articles or reports or preseason anything, nothing before the final gun goes off in the game that guarantees us an over .500 record for the season. 

Kind of a miserable existence if you ask me. 

If you look at completion % as tantamount to accuracy with no other considerations, IMHO you don’t know what the f*ck you are talking about.

If you look at Sam Darnold as inaccurate based on last year, have at it.

Misguided but sure go ahead.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Meh most rookie QB’s have 56-59 completion percentages.

actually pretty normal.

If you look at rookie QBs on bad teams, look no further than rookie Peyton Manning at 56.7% comp, a full point below Sam. 

He was accurate at Tenn and he was accurate his entire NFL career. Rookie playing for a bad team doesn’t make an accurate QB inaccurate. 

Comp rate does not equal accuracy or inaccuracy.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, how dare we be literal when discussing literal things like literal metrics to measure literal accuracy.....

Go right ahead.

I'm getting tired of JN Posters who think they get to decide who is or isn't a fan of this team and it's players....

He was 31st in the NFL in Completion % in 2018 at 57.7%, below the NFL's "Mendoza Line" of 60%.

Only Josh Allen and Josh Rosen were worse. 

That is simply not "extremely accurate".  

Again, that isn't to say he cannot work hard and improve his accuracy to be materially more consistent, which will be required if he is to be an elite NFL QB, but he was not "extremely accurate" in 2018.  

I just don;t get the homer desire for 1984-esque Newspeak when it comes to guys they like.  He's a young QB who needs to develop, there is NOTHING WRONG with him not being "extremely accurate" yet.  We don't need to redefine what words and metrics mean or engage in extreme hyperbole to be in lockstep with some Party LIne on Darnold. 

Yes, he occasionally makes very accurate throws.  Elite throws even.   No, he is not overall extremely accurate...yet.

We'll see this year, with Anderson, Crowder, Enunwa, Herndon and especially Bell, there should be no "blame the other guys" excuse to be made.  

There you go with your penchant for immediately shifting into negative hyperbole. 

I didn’t say you weren’t a Jet fan but given your dour miserable schtick it’s not surprising. 

But again continuing to equate comp rate and accuracy shows a basic lack of understanding that a metric and a concept are not the same. But you keep trotting out 31st as “inaccurate” so you keep going with it. 

I’m fortunate in life that I no longer need to deal with miserable folks at work or leisure and I’m not sure why I’m engaging now. Insufferable miserable folks, I really hope it’s just your schtick and reading your work since I’ve been here, I’m guessing that’s all it is. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I don't think it's about accuracy, or completions. I think for a QB it's about ball placement and that changes with every throw with proper ball placement the numbers should go up although the receiver has to do their part too. I believe Darnold has good ball placement and will only get better with more reps and hopefully better receivers and understanding each other over time.

Exactly. 

Accuracy is an innate ability to make certain throws. Inaccurate guys can only get so far. Accurate guys will rise to the top.

That Sam was under 58% last year as a 21 year old with an awful OC, an awful line, bottom of the barrel talent at WR and RB does not mean he is inaccurate. 

Yet someone with a fundamental misunderstanding of stats v concepts will keep whining THIRTY FIRST!

• Upvote 3

This is how moronic comp rate equals accuracy is. 

So apparently, according to some, 60% is the line that denotes accurate v inaccurate.

Sam was 239 of 414 for 57.7% completion rate. 13 games. 

If you add 1 completion per game, maybe a dropped pass or a throw away or a bad route or any number of issues unrelated to accuracy, 13 receptions and Sam is 252 for 414 for a nearly 61% comp rate. Is he now accurate? Now think about how bad the OC was, how bad his offensive “talent” was, how pourous his line was, all the injuries. 

Not making excuses but one completion a game and all of a sudden he’s accurate?

Lol. 

No one is claiming he doesn’t have work to do or that he’s a finished product. For crissakes he’s 22.

But THIRTY FIRST....INACCURATE!!!!

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

...and yet you’re getting drawn into a “discussion” with the self appointed judge of who is or isn’t a Jets fan. Don’t waste your time.

Simply not agreeing with his point of view leads to his “accusations” about your level of fandom (lol) and comments about what a miserable person you are. 🤔 He seems unable to discuss anything in a civil tone. Always stoops to nasty snark.

By my count, you’re the 3rd person to call him out on it this week, including the owner of the site.

But yet he keeps on keeping on. Oblivious to how he comes off.

I never said he wasn’t a Jet fan- I know he is but that was his spin on what I said. I was discussing accuracy v completion percentage and his penchant for what I believe is and has been an unfair critique of Sam.

And he’s shown  he’s man enough to defend himself and doesn’t need your help. 

And if you’re going to report me to the mods have the guts to do it in public. 

Hey @Maxman this guy that you asked me to “knock it off” is now suggesting I’M not a Jet fan. 

Been a Jet fan since 1969. 

Does this guy get a warning? 

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Parroting again, huh?

I never reported you sweetie, that pushback you got was all because of your own actions. So now when the mods read here you claiming I reported you, you’re going to look even more childish then you usually do.

Sweetie? Again? 

Wow how cutting. 

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Long overdue tbh.  :-k

Lol. I’m crushed. 

3 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

No politics.

This thread is just biden time. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Darnold not only had much less talent than Mayfield, but also had one of the worst coaching staffs of all time in his corner as well.

Just think one more NFL level talent around him and a competent OC and he’s easily at 61% comp and all of a sudden he’s “accurate”. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And Browning Nagle had at worst the same type arm as Allen. Somehow never developed.  

Darnold has 85+% of his arm, can make every throw, never comes up short on his ability to hit a pass.  The rest of their games Darnold is ahead of Allen in every area other than running forward for yardage.  More importantly Darnold is better in the pocket, better at sliding around the pocket and in just about every way that you should judge a QB. 

The other thing I think in terms of  “accuracy” is, accurate guys rarely if ever miss the easy throws. 

How often did Sam miss wide open guys or sail or skip passes. How difficult did he make throws hard to catch. 

Then think back to Mark (who I liked) who was constantly missing the easy ones, throwing behind or too far in front or throwing at the receivers feet.  

Sanchez was an inaccurate QB that was never going to improve his comp %. 

Sam is very accurate and his comp % will climb over the next few years and then settle in at the 65% plus rate.

Doesn’t mean he’s become more accurate, just that things will naturally fall into place as he matures. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

It is obvious that you are not a Jets fan, so why don't you take your pessimistic views to wherever your favorite team has a forum. Better yet, go to the Browns forum, I am sure they will welcome you with open arms!

giphy.gif

Ouch. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ouch.

I told you the other day, you’re a grown man. Stop acting like a child.

But you just keep doing what you do, @Peace Frog it’s working out well for you... 😉

Yet you keep replying. It’s ok, folks see you for who you are. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Then it would seem a reasonable, logical counterpoint would be to cite NFL drop pass stats showing that Darnold's pass-catchers had somewhere near the most-dropped passes in the NFL last year.  I would certainly accept that as a valid counter-argument in regards to accuracy discussion.

Do you have a source to support any such claim, that Jets WR dropped alot of passes last year compared to the rest of the league?

Also, just to be clear, what you posted was pure hyperbole.  Fantasy even.  We're talking about Pro QB's, not people throwing "15 perfectly delivered balls, all dropped" or "15 ducks, all caught by great WR's".  

Lets stick with facts, shall we?  If drops played a material part in Darnold's 31st ranked completion percentage, then the drop stats should show that out.

Here you go. Facts. 

Enjoy.

Through October 23 last year Jets were 7th in the league in dropped pass percentage. Interesting take in the article. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/23/jets-among-the-worst-in-the-nfl-in-dropped-passes/amp/

Ended up tied for 11th. 

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=nfl&rank=232&type=receiving

In all, 19 dropped passes. If 13 of those were Darnold’s he’s a 61% completion guy and according to you, accurate. 

Please stop, completion percentage does NOT equal accuracy. 

Or continue repeating nonsense.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Is it a better result in a game? No. Is it a better reflection of a QB's accuracy? Yes. 

When you get all bogged down in stats that's when you find yourself thinking that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good QB or Kirk Cousins is a great one. Fitz looks good throwing to Braylon, Decker, or Mike Evans, while Darnold looked good throwing to Robbie Anderson and Deontay Burnett. 

We were tied for 11th with 19 dropped passes. 

Yeah, Sam Darnold is inaccurate because his completion percentage says he is. 

Lol. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're all looking forward to see how Darnold develops, and as I said to start, I see no reason Darnold cannot work hard and materially improve him completion percentage in 2019 and beyond.

Sam’s completion percentage will materially improve because he is a naturally accurate thrower of the football. 

A better OC, line and overall talent around him will hasten the improvement but he is not inaccurate now yet will become accurate in the future. 

One is a numerical measurement based on many factors and the other a concept. 

Inaccurate guys don’t become accurate by working hard. Sanchez, Hack, Tebow were never becoming accurate no matter how hard they worked. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice spin.

My whole point was to show why comp percentage is a totally useless way to judge accuracy.

But, hey, let's make believe that it's you sticking to facts.  Thanks for the heads up.

I'm done if you're going to argue for no reason at all.  Every word I posted was dead on.  And for some reason that's problematic for you. 

Amazing that anyone would argue that comp. Perc. On its own denotes accuracy. 

Drop stats DID prove it out. 19 drops tied for 11th in the league and they were much higher (worse) before Sam hit his stride.

Yet he’ll continue to dismiss...you know...facts. 

Just now, Warfish said:

What spin?  You claimed drops was the cause of his low comp. %, I asked for the numbers that prove it.  Seems pretty straightforward.

No one said "on it's own".  It's the best and most well-known metric that measures accuracy.  Not the only metric.  

I posted his drops, we had 19 and if just 13 of those were Sam’s then he’s a 61% comp guy and according to you “accurate”.  

And comp rate is NOT the most well known metric for accuracy, just the one trotted out who don’t understand football. 

Too bad you’re a big baby and have me on ignore but I’m guessing this is why because you knew your faulty opinion was being crushed. 

The Jets were tied for 11th in the league in drops. 

19 of them. 

Those are stats. Facts. A true “metric”. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That is why comp % is a generally accepted base metric for how accurate a QB is

Only by people who don't understand football.

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you say so. 

How about I do us both a favor then:

Goodbye Nut.  Dealing with your mostly incoherent and inconsistent yet always aggressive and angry ranting and raving is just too tiring for me these days.  While trolling you if occasionally fun, it's not that fun.

Enjoy the season.

Can’t rationally defend your nonsense so you run away. 

On  the internet no less. 

Lol.  

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Guys, let me fill you in on a little something...I don't judge my life based on how much time I waste with you two chuckleheads on a daily basis.

Again with the nonsensical hyperbole.  Oooooohhh..."let me fill you in on a little something..." lol.  

So ethereal, so profound.  

Who bases their life on ANYTHING they discuss on the internet?

Just more moronic nonsense.  But yeah, thanks for filling us in.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company