Would Jet fans be as insufferable as Pats fans?

Just imagine if our Jets had owned the AFC East since 2001. It's such an outrageously ridiculous run, something that's never been done before, especially in the age of free agency. And they've done it in the NFL. I can't even imagine rooting for a team that each Sunday whether going to Gillette or watching from home your pretty much GUARANTEED to win. I haven't looked at their regular season record at home over the last 18 years but I'm sure it's crazy. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Jet fans would be peacocking with boatloads of newbies donning Jet gear everywhere. If you look at the history of the AFC East, our Jets are the only team to never dominate the division. Miami has and the Bills have in the Jim Kelly era. Could this be our decade coming up? We're due right? Lol. Jet fans are a different breed, it's not easy being green. 

We're heading into unchartered territory for this organization. We haven't had a potential franchise QB since Namath. We haven't had an offensive Head Coach for years. We haven't had a properly structured front office in forever or had guys in place that have had success & come from teams who have won in this league. Sometimes I wonder what it is that keeps us hanging on as fans, I have to admit the 2014 team almost had me heading for the exits. Without Namath there is no way I would have been sucked into the Jets, I'm sure others got sucked in by a father or mother, brother or sister, or after the few successful years of The Sack Exchange & the arrival of Bill Parcells. 

Its wild to think that the impetus for change came from Woody heading to Ireland & his brother Chris taking the reins of the team. I think we all hoped that Chris might see what is wrong with the way the team is run, but when he resigned Bowles I was just beside myself thinking it's going to be more of the same. Then we had the firing of Macc after the draft, the Jets again were the laughing stock of the media & opposing fans. And then, just like that everything finally fell into place for us with Douglas signing on, him bringing in Savage & bringing back Hogan. The Jets now have genuine experienced football men in charge. 

We now at least have a chance. We had no chance with Woody, Macc, Bowles or even Gase without a support structure above him. Maybe Chris Johnson is just a silver spooned guy with no business experience, but like I've always said about the NFL, this isn't rocket science. You look to succesful organizations & you emulate some of what they do and bring in the RIGHT people. All of us as fans will owe a debt of gratitude to Chris Johnson if these moves get us to the promised land of Super Bowl. 

And yes, we'll be some insufferable sons of bitches, but it would come as well earned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The bandwagon fans will be the problem. It would be like the yankee fans. Guys show up at the bar wearing an open Yankees jersey with a Saint pendant on the outside of his guinea tee talking like Vinnie from Red Hook boosting about how great the team and Brooklyn is and it ends up he’s actually Bill from Wisconsin. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The bandwagon fans will be the problem. It would be like the yankee fans. Guys show up at the bar wearing an open Yankees jersey with a Saint pendant on the outside of his guinea tee talking like Vinnie from Red Hook boosting about how great the team and Brooklyn is and it ends up he’s actually Bill from Wisconsin. 

With the name of the Yankee on the back of the home pinstripe Jersey. 

Absolutely, I'm pretty sure I'd be one of them since I love to troll people in real life. I still remember how many Jets jerseys and gear in general I saw in 2009 and 2010 when the Jets were a good team. It was everywhere, probably most of them being Giants fans or closet Jet fans that only root for the team when they have success.

• Upvote 1

Um, 90% of this community spent the last 4 years stating their lack of confidence in the front office. Complaining about how the GM is terrible. EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD.  

Oh, you think the GM is terrible? Really? I hadn't noticed the 35,000 other times you stated that. Maybe if you start another thread and mention it another 35,000 times the point will get through.

Insufferable,  lol.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Yes, and I hope we have that opportunity.  All fans of winning teams are insufferable.

It pains me when young Yankee fans, under 40 swear that Jeter was the greatest Yankee etc or that Posada was as good as Berra.  I ask Yankee fans the following 2 questions when they get obnoxious.

1.  Greatest 5 Yankees ever and it doesn’t include Jeter or Rivera. That annoys them.

2. Name the retired numbers from 1 to 10.   They can’t even come close. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It pains me when young Yankee fans, under 40 swear that Jeter was the greatest Yankee etc or that Posada was as good as Berra.  I ask Yankee fans the following 2 questions when they get obnoxious.

1.  Greatest Yankees ever and it doesn’t include Jeter or Rivera. That annoys them.

2. Name the retired numbers from 1 to 10.   They can’t even come close. 

they also brag about "rings" and how many the Yankees have so I always ask, yeah how many were you alive for let alone cognizant of?

• Upvote 2

As this thread clearly shows some of us would certainly act like insufferable lunatics.  

And despite the myth that “ all fans” are like this how you behave and treat others is strictly a concern and an attitude that is up to you.  

It is like the Seattle game in which the Jets scored a magic helmet TD to win the game ushering in instant replay. 

Some of us realized that the Jets were gifted that game and said so while others acted like it was supposed to happen because Parcells was our HC. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed. I think we'd be one of the worse, but I sure as hell would like to find out . lol

I completely agree, Jet fans would be the WORST, LOL. Like someone stated, guys like Vinnie from Brooklyn donning Jets hats with sunglasses on top that couldn't name one of the Olineman, but they've been a suffering Jet fan for as long as they can remember. I'd be like Eddy Murphy in his ice cream skit. You ain't got no ice cream.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just imagine if our Jets had owned the AFC East since 2001. It's such an outrageously ridiculous run, something that's never been done before, especially in the age of free agency. And they've done it in the NFL. I can't even imagine rooting for a team that each Sunday whether going to Gillette or watching from home your pretty much GUARANTEED to win. I haven't looked at their regular season record at home over the last 18 years but I'm sure it's crazy. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Jet fans would be peacocking with boatloads of newbies donning Jet gear everywhere. If you look at the history of the AFC East, our Jets are the only team to never dominate the division. Miami has and the Bills have in the Jim Kelly era. Could this be our decade coming up? We're due right? Lol. Jet fans are a different breed, it's not easy being green. 

We're heading into unchartered territory for this organization. We haven't had a potential franchise QB since Namath. We haven't had an offensive Head Coach for years. We haven't had a properly structured front office in forever or had guys in place that have had success & come from teams who have won in this league. Sometimes I wonder what it is that keeps us hanging on as fans, I have to admit the 2014 team almost had me heading for the exits. Without Namath there is no way I would have been sucked into the Jets, I'm sure others got sucked in by a father or mother, brother or sister, or after the few successful years of The Sack Exchange & the arrival of Bill Parcells. 

Its wild to think that the impetus for change came from Woody heading to Ireland & his brother Chris taking the reins of the team. I think we all hoped that Chris might see what is wrong with the way the team is run, but when he resigned Bowles I was just beside myself thinking it's going to be more of the same. Then we had the firing of Macc after the draft, the Jets again were the laughing stock of the media & opposing fans. And then, just like that everything finally fell into place for us with Douglas signing on, him bringing in Savage & bringing back Hogan. The Jets now have genuine experienced football men in charge. 

We now at least have a chance. We had no chance with Woody, Macc, Bowles or even Gase without a support structure above him. Maybe Chris Johnson is just a silver spooned guy with no business experience, but like I've always said about the NFL, this isn't rocket science. You look to succesful organizations & you emulate some of what they do and bring in the RIGHT people. All of us as fans will owe a debt of gratitude to Chris Johnson if these moves get us to the promised land of Super Bowl. 

And yes, we'll be some insufferable sons of bitches, but it would come as well earned. 

you mean they aren't?  i suppose they are more humble than patsie fans.  losing teams do that to their fans. but if the jets did get on top for an extended period of time there would be a whole group of fair weather fans and they would be just like patsie fans.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

D-bag is in their DNA, win or lose. It's part of the "culture" in the Boston area. They aren't even shy about it. They even now refer to themselves as "Massholes". Get drunk, pick a fight, act racist, vote for a Kennedy. It's like all of the worst of Ireland emigrated there and embraced it all and standardized on a butchered version of English. They were insufferable before that team won, too. This is a fan base that, despite a century of dominance, still chants "Yankees suck" at hockey games and Kindergarten graduations. Inherently insecure and it's obvious. They have this envy towards NY and somehow have deluded themselves that their podunk little town somehow stacks up, but deep down they know otherwise.

On the 0.0000001% chance that the Jets ever dominate a decade, let alone a season, the fans will still be cautious. SOJ will never die. Some of us have felt it for almost 50 years, some more. It doesn't get undone in a day.

Despite all of that dominance of their team over ours, I take great pride in waking up NOT a Pats fan. I can't imagine myself lining up excuses every time a player on the roster behaves badly, as if it's someone elses fault. Waaa. The media hates us. The fans are jealous. Nope, the rest of the world just believes in accountability, jerkoffs. Proud that I support my team through all the thin, waiting for the thick to some day come. They couldn't sell a ticket pre-Brady. Front-runners, through and through in football. 5 years from now, no one will be at Pats games again.

They almost moved to Connecticut & no one gave a sh*t.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JetPotato said:

They couldn't sell a ticket pre-Brady. Front-runners, through and through in football. 5 years from now, no one will be at Pats games again.

This is very true. Ask any Pats fan, regardless of age, to name a pre-Brady Pats player and the only answer you'll get is Drew Bledsoe (the guy Brady replaced ? ). 

None of them know jack about that team before 2001.

As for us, I have no doubt a large contingent of the fans would be insufferable if we were to have long term success like New England has had. Some would be older fans, revelling in returning the abuse they've suffered through for decades. Others would be younger fans who haven't been as traumatized as the rest of us, and don't know any better. Others still would be bandwagon-jumpers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, naturalscience said:

Um, 90% of this community spent the last 4 years stating their lack of confidence in the front office. Complaining about how the GM is terrible. EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD.  

Oh, you think the GM is terrible? Really? I hadn't noticed the 35,000 other times you stated that. Maybe if you start another thread and mention it another 35,000 times the point will get through.

Insufferable,  lol.

So we can count you as SOJF thank you for your input & an incredible 88th post. I'm sure we'll all miss you when you retreat back to where you came from telling fish stories.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Any positive thread goes 2 pages tops 

if this team ever turns it around this forum will be deserted 

the majority of Jets fans that you run into on the internets  seem attracted to the underdog and misery 

Exactly. When Parcells got here we didn't even have a freaking QB. Ooh, I'll wait until they PROVE IT forget the fact you can't name a QB that the Jets have had with more upside than Sam since Namath. Miserable bastards, flogging themselves as they march towards another season. 

13 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Thanks T0m!

Thank you for your input Vinnie from Brooklyn, we were wondering when you'd show up again. By the way, who was the coach of the Jets before Parcells came on board?

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Good post here. You’re right, we’re certainly due for “our turn”,

Damn it would be nice rooting for a winner! At my age, I feel like I’m running out of seasons, lol. I don’t know if I have another 20 left.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The majority of jet fans are total idiots.  We are not the fanbase to be calling out other fanbases.

I've gone to some away games & I have to say, this is so true. All you have to do is observe some of them at the hotel bars the night prior or B4 the games. And many of them exaggerate their NY accents for extra cred. Yo, barkeep, anoder fireball shot for me & da boys. Oh, sh*t, is my hat on crooked? There's always that white guy with a dozen gold chains outside of his Jets Jersey with a huge cross while he's cussing up & storm and hitting on every chick that walks by him. 

• Haha 1