2019 Positional Preview: Offensive Line

IMG_2033.jpg

With Jets training camp just around the corner, we continue to preview each position group as the team gets revved up to kick off the Adam Gase/Joe Douglas era.  Today, it’s one of the more suspect groups on the roster in the offensive line.

The 2018 Jets offensive line was tied for 14th in the NFL is pass blocking efficiency per pro football focus but the team was one of the worst run blocking units in the NFL.  A pair of new starters and some additional new faces will look to help improve in both areas in 2019.  Here’s a look at the current O-line in its entirety.

LT Kelvin Beachum: 

IMG_4973-300x205.jpg

Kelvin Beachum will be responsible for Sam Darnold’s blind side once again in 2019.

We’ve been saying the same thing about Beachum for over  a year now.  He’s an average to slightly above average pass blocker whose run blocking could use improvement.  A middle of the pack player making middle of the pack money.  In the final season of his deal, Beachum will likely give way to a new starter in 2020, but his character is impeccable and he’s an excellent model for younger players to learn from.  He’s a perfectly suitable “hold the fort” player for another year.

LG Kelechi Osemele:

A former All-Pro left guard who was made available via trade due to a bloated salary and in injury-plagued 2018, Osemele is expected to be one of the biggest upgrades on the roster as he replaces the departed James Carpenter.

C Jonotthan Harrison:

Harrison filled in admirably at center toward the tail end of the season and held his own at the pivot.  A player whose athleticism could make him an ideal fit for Adam Gase, Harrison will never be an upper echelon player, but he should certainly be an upgrade over what the Jets started each of the past two seasons with in Wesley Johnson and Spencer Long.  This is also a position the Jets could look to upgrade via trade or free agency before the season kicks off.

RG Brian Winters:

Winters is pencilled in as the team’s starting right guard, but don’t be shocked if he loses that job at some point.  Free agent addition Tom Compton is a more athletic player than Winters and Adam Gase may not be willing to put up with Winters’ inconsistency at the position.  Another player who is a better pass blocker than run blocker, Winters’ $6.5 million cap savings if cut could work against him if another player performs to a similar level.

RT Brandon Shell:

Shell is another player who could be on a short leash this season.  He’s been a solid player since entering the league, but lacks the mean streak you’d like to see in an O-lineman.  With the addition of USC product Chuma Edoga, don’t be surprised  if Shell gets pushed aside at some point should Edoga progress quickly enough for the team’s liking.

OT Calvin Anderson:

An undrafted free agent offensive tackle out of Texas, Anderson spent a brief period with the Patriots as an undrafted free agent before being let go and snapped up by the Jets.  Anderson has excellent size and wing span, but his strength is a concern.

G Ben Braden:

IMG_8314-1-300x217.jpg

Ben Braden prepares to enter year three as a pro.

Braden enters his third pro season after signing with the Jets as an undrafted free agent out of Michigan a couple of seasons ago.  Braden has a reputation as a mauler who struggles in pass protection.  If he sticks with another regime, it will bode well for the big guard.

OG Tom Compton:

A free agent addition who has played both guard and tackle at the pro level, Compton should be given a shot to steal the right guard job.  Will Adam Gase and company give him that chance?  Only time will tell.

OT Chuma Edoga:

Likely drafted with a vision of moving him to left tackle at some point, Edoga will likely get most of his work as a rookie on the right side of the offensive line.  A look at right guard should be a possibility.

G Tyler Jones:

Jones was one of the better pass blockers in all of college football as on offensive tackle but shows up on the Jets official roster as a guard.  A position switch was predicted by some experts and that looks to be the case early on.

G/C Toa Lobendahn:

Another undrafted free agent, Lobendahn’s versatility may be what gives him his best chance to land a roster spot.

OT Wyatt Miller:

An intriguing prospect who played both left and right tackle at UCF, Miller is another player who could find himself auditioning on the inside and outside.  Very durable player with a good motor.

G Jordan Morgan:

A small school prospect entering year three, the Jets are hoping Morgan will come in to  his own after being cut loose by the Chicago Bears.

RT Brent Qvale:

A solid veteran back up, Qvale has been a spot starter for the Jets at both right tackle and right guard.  With a new regime and several offensive tackles competing for depth spots on the roster, Qvale could have his work cut out.

OT Eric Smith:

A little-known player who has made the rounds in the AFC East, Smith is a player with whom Adam Gase will be familiar.  It was under Gase that Smith made the Dolphins 53-man roster in 2017 at right tackle, but was eventually let go before spending a brief time with the Patriots.  Smith was eventually signed away from the Patriots practice squad to the Jets active roster.

C Jon Toth:

Toth bounced on and off of the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad before signing with the Jets in December of 2018.  A stout run blocker who excelled at the University of Kentucky, pro football focus mentioned Toth as a player who has the potential to one day become a starting center.  A strong showing at the Senior Bowl had some mentioning Toth as a possible mid-round pick.  In the end, he went undrafted and looks to show he belongs this season.

The post 2019 Positional Preview: Offensive Line appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-gTJaAbzqsE

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

Probably doesn't ever amount to much but Calvin Anderson intrigues. 

He's been pretty consistent and healthy but really lacks the size, plus hasn't really gone against very goiid competition.  Maybe he can be coached up.

Thanks for an informative article. 

Ooh. Another post jetster. How many is that?

• Haha 1

We have a middle of the pack talent, and what do you know, we were ranked #14 for pass blocking last year, and lower down the line for run blocking.

If we want to be great on the O line, then we need to draft higher picks and care more about the O line.  

I believe this area is where our new GM will be making the biggest impact next year.

Shell and Harrison were trash according to PFF last year and Osemele wasn’t far behind. Winters and Beachum were exceedingly average. IIRC, all but Winters are UFA’s next year and there’s gonna be some soul searching going on with zero depth behind any of them. It’s the #1 issue moving forward with this team and Douglas is going to be basically forced to overspend on the position group just to keep Darnold alive. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Shell and Harrison were trash according to PFF last year and Osemele wasn’t far behind. Winters and Beachum were exceedingly average. IIRC, all but Winters are UFA’s next year and there’s gonna be some soul searching going on with zero depth behind any of them. It’s the #1 issue moving forward with this team and Douglas is going to be basically forced to overspend on the position group just to keep Darnold alive. 

Imagine what it’s going to look like during the season when there’s injuries. 

• Upvote 1

What Mac never did, and I hope this new staff will at least try to attempt, is building an actual pipeline for the OL to set themselves up for the future.  

Beachum/Shell have one year left on their deals. Harrison, Winters and Osemele are out in 2. That's a loooot of changes coming quick on a unit that traditionally thrives on continuity. Guys like Edoga, Wyatt Miller, or Tyler Jones showcasing some starting potential would be critical for the health of this team moving forward. This whole damn unit is getting torn down, they need at least one of these backups this year to be a possible starter next year. 

With all that in mind, this is going to be a truly weird year. As happy as I was for the team making the change with Mac, vast majority of guys we'll be cheering for this year to do well come from his last round of moves before he got canned. Only the Jets can lay on a weird mindf*ck like that to a fanbase lol. 

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the two people least upset about the Jets going 6-10 next year would be 1. Joe Douglas and 1a. Adam Gase.

I honestly don’t care about this year’s record as long as the beat the Dolphins. They need to add more pieces and there’s zero chance of making the playoffs this year so it is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the two people least upset about the Jets going 6-10 next year would be 1. Joe Douglas and 1a. Adam Gase.

Hmmm This never occurred to me, but what you said here makes a lot of sense.

The bad part about it though is they can then begin another tearing down and (shudders violently) rebuilding of the roster.

I'm still comfortable with Beachum at LT.  Not great but definitely good enough, smart and experienced.  His weakness is run blocking, BUT...he'll now have some serious help on the left side from Osemele who is a total road grader.  I think Beachum will be better because of that swap next to him at LG.

The same might go for Harrison.  He was decent I thought; dare I say almost good at Center over the final weeks of the season, and having Osemele next to him could help.

The right side concerns me.  We know what we have in Winters and it's subpar.  Shell is adequate at best.  The two X factors that could help out the right side are Compton and Edoga.  I think those guys will compete for RG and RT respectively.  We should all be hoping that someone like Edoga emerges as an obvious upgrade at RT.  He doesn't even have to be spectacular.....just being average at RT as a rookie might be an upgrade over Shell, although I also hold out hope that Shell takes another step forward this year.

If I had to describe the Jets OLine in one word it would be.... Meh.  But it's still likely to be slightly better than 2018.

Last thought - Don't underestimate what could be our biggest Line upgrade this offseason...the addition of Frank Pollack as OLine coach.

How about looking at the fact that Bowles & Macc are gone & none of these jobs are safe. 

Ok, maybe Beachum, but everyone else is on notice with a new regime coming in & a new Offensive line coach in Pollack. 

Every guy in camp will challenge all of these guys because none of them really stand out at Center, RG & RT. I think Harrison will be fine, similar to Goodwin who we should have kept who went on to being the starting center in the Saints Super Bowl win. So RG & RT are WIDE OPEN and I would not be shocked if Winters or Shell lost their jobs. 

The guys that are going to help the line the most will be Gase, Pollack & Darnold. Find out what we do well and do that. If you can't run outside of Beachum but between him & KO, that's what you do. If our line is better at pass blocking, let's throw the ball to set up the run now that you literally have 2 guys that are RB/WRs in Bell & Montgomery. 

There is absolutely zero pressure on this coaching staff this year. The Jets come in ranked as one of the worst teams in the league by all accounts. I don't believe that to be true, but so be it. I think Gase shocks us all by unleashing Darnold in a quick passing scheme. Using Bell out of the backfield & getting him one on one with LBs. You don't bring Darnold along like the much less intelligent Sanchez with Red, Green & Yellow calls. You have to let Darnold let it rip this year, as we're building towards a 2020-2023 run. He'll fail spectacularly or succeed & be looked at as one of the next great ones. My money's on Darnold with great coaching by Gase. 

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yet the vast majority of this board was ecstatic about giving $85mm to a MLB.  

Every penny should have been spent on protecting Darnold or giving him weapons.

They tried but no one wanted to come here.

I'd like to see the same crap show article about the Cornerbacks 

what this comes down to is a four win team can't fix all the problems in one offseason

the team is still 30 mil under the cap btw

adjust expectations accordingly 

we should be OK if they get to .500

even if Darnold becomes superman it's still not a complete football team or even close to it 

The offensive line remains the Jets’ biggest question mark on offense heading into training camp.

That was the case this time last year, long before Frank Pollack was hired to Adam Gase’s staff. Pollack is one of the better offensive line coaches around the NFL, but he was not retained by new head coach Zac Taylor after one season in Cincinnati.In Dallas from 2013-17,Pollack helped oversee one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.Now, he has to deal with an offensive line that’s certainly in need of a renovation.“Like every team I’ve been with, it’s a work in progress. There’s a lot to get better at,” Pollack told the team website. “The guys are working really hard, we’re right where we need to be as far as that’s concerned. We’re continuing to master Coach Gase’s offense and increase our ability to work on our fundamentals and techniques that I’m teaching.”

Throughout OTAs and minicamp, Pollack has been able to see the group that he has in front of him against a talented defensive front. However, once they are finally able to put pads on and start training camp, he will be able to see who belongs on his starting unit.“You can see movement skills, you can see how they learn and how they work,” Pollack said. “You get a good feel for all of that stuff, but at the end of the day, once you put the pads on, it really separates the men from the boys, if you will. You get excited about guys’ movement skills, but a lot of guys go away when you put the pads on and a lot of guys rise to the occasion when you put the pads on. You get a good feel for them and how they work in the classroom, understanding the offensive processing. But pads are definitely the most important aspect of that.”

New York did very little to bolster what’s been a consistent position of need for several years now. Previous regimes have done a reckless job of replacing former All-Pro tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and former All-Pro center Nick Mangold.Before being shown the door, Mike Maccagnan traded for All-Pro guard Kelechi Osemele, drafted Chuma Edoga and signed Tom Compton and Jonotthan Harrison as depth pieces. But, he stopped there. The Jets are returning three starters who were inconsistent for two consecutive seasons, as well as ignoring the center position in free agency and going with a career backup in Harrison.With Joe Douglas now in charge, finding offensive line help will be the top priority. He started 45 games at tackle for the University of Richmond during his playing career. The Philadelphia Eagles have one of the strongest offensive lines in the NFL, so the Jets new general manager knows that the key to a Super Bowl run is to build a competent offensive line around a young quarterback.

Gang Green has to make do with what it has at the position right now. There is a large veteran presence, but the unit still has a long way to go.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/15/jets-frank-pollack-offensive-line/