What If Murray Stinks

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Here's another intriguing and plausible scenario...the Giants play Eli for 10 games and Jones for six, they both stink and they end up with the first or second pick.  Do THEY take another QB with a top pick?

And then we sign Jones to our practice squad and we have BOTH Giant franchise QBs. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And why not?  Pat Mahomes was going in the last three rounds in a lot of fantasy leagues last year.  Murray may not go much higher.  And his running ability gives you a nice floor. 

There's really no reason to draft a QB high anymore, so loading up on backs and receivers and making Murray your QB or one of 2 QB's on your team makes a lot of sense, depending on how late you can get him. 

Some are saying he can run for 1000 yards his rookie year. It would be nuts. I am tageting him in the 10 round. Yeah I'm with you on QB late. Honestly I just don't think he will drop further than that. And in the 10th it's all just sleepers anyway. Ill still draft another QB in the 13 whoever is left. 

I think the point is that he could really suck bad and be worthless 

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Tebow outside of one year was a bust.  He owes Gase.

L Jackson as a QB has proven he can run and will get hurt.

Murray a year earlier is a day 2 pick, behind all 5 first round picked.  It's only because there were no real options, especially with this HC, that he went 1st, doesn't make him anything at this point.   

Not being great or whatever at number 1 overall is a bust

When he was drafted in the MLB ninth overall by the Athletics, it was because it was considered he was a day 3 pick in the NFL, if at all. The Athletics never figured on Murray having the season he did when they drafted him.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Here's another intriguing and plausible scenario...the Giants play Eli for 10 games and Jones for six, they both stink and they end up with the first or second pick.  Do THEY take another QB with a top pick?

I thought the giants really botched their draft they could have had both Oliver and Sweat and then traded for Rosen

21 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You know people have been trying to convince me to draft him in fantasy football haha

Offensive line is going to get him killed

David Johnson might still have a bounce back year he will be catching a lot of passes out of the backfield on third and long

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

So far, so good.  Targeting Murray as my fantasy QB this year based on ADP. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037736/article/nfl-training-camp-winnerslosers-seven-rookies-creating-a-buzz

Kyler Murray, quarterback, Arizona Cardinals: Cardinals fans should not feel guilty about the giddiness that these Larry Fitzgerald quotes on Murray inspire:

"I've never seen a quarterback come in so quickly and be able to command an offense," Fitzgerald told Kurt Warner on "Inside Training Camp Live" Sunday. "I mean, from Day 1, he's out there checking the different plays, sliding the line, different protections, getting us in screens when blitzes are coming. His understanding of the offense is crazy."

Granted, Fitz hasn't played with any good young QB's in the NFL to date.  Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer arrived to Arizona as seasoned veterans, and the rest of his QB's (Leinart, Max Hall, Kolb, Ryan Lindley, Skelton, Stanton, Gabbert, Rosen) sucked. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He went from a day day two at best pick to number one pick to the second coming of Mahomes?  LOL

Amazing what happens when youre in a draft without QBs 

He was a day two pick when he had signed a baseball contract...

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bump.

So far, so good.  Targeting Murray as my fantasy QB this year based on ADP. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037736/article/nfl-training-camp-winnerslosers-seven-rookies-creating-a-buzz

Granted, Fitz hasn't played with any good young QB's in the NFL to date.  Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer arrived to Arizona as seasoned veterans, and the rest of his QB's (Leinart, Max Hall, Kolb, Ryan Lindley, Skelton, Stanton, Gabbert, Rosen) sucked. 

I just get the feeling that if Fitz gets a good young QB and and a good offensive system, he will just will himself to stay a productive WR for 4 or 5 more years. Possibly my favorite non-Jet. Represents all that is good about football.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Murray and lamar jackson will change the course of the nfl this year.  A few years down the road, 50% of teams will have a smaller, running qb and 50% your classic pocket guy.  The nfl will never be the same again.

Murray is a far better passer than Lamar Jackson. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:47 PM, Drums said:

I think the coach has a good chance of busting 

agree and I think they are linked, you don't have a fire sale with a potential FQB and #10 pick after a year and not risk a major implosion - this is the next decade wager for the Cards

They will get a couple of years since there really is not much of an option - glad I am not a Cards fan, but hey it will be interesting

17 hours ago, jgb said:

If you get even odds it's always wise to bet on a QB busting.

That's why you have to look at the evidence available.  The only things working against Murray are his lack of size (injury risk) + his current Offensive Line in AZ (which may not be nearly as bad this year, and will look a lot better paired with Murray as opposed to pocket statue Josh Rosen).  He checks all the boxes, plus has a coach who fits him like a glove.  I like his chances to be at least an average starter until the "if/when" he gets hurt.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Murray's been impressing in practice, and now impresses in his first NFL action.  Not too shabby. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001040307/article/cardinals-kyler-murray-delivers-in-1st-preseason-start

Cardinals' Kyler Murray delivers in 1st preseason start

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 8, 2019 at 11:22 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 9, 2019 at 01:29 a.m.

Kyler Murray's preseason debut lasted just one drive, but it confirmed everything that made the quarterback the No. 1 pick.

Murray's drive started backed up at his own 2-yard-line. It's a precarious place that can rattle a young quarterback.

The rookie wasn't shook. At all.

During Murray's drive, the entire Cardinals offense looked about as comfortable as you can be in a preseason opener with a rookie quarterback.

Murray completed 6-of-7 attempts (his only "incompletion" coming when a receiver stepped out of bounds for a penalty on the catch, which by league rule is deemed an incompletion) for 44 yards on the night. The No. 1 overall pick displayed pinpoint accuracy and elusiveness in the pocket, and got the ball out quicker than a hiccup.

"I thought it was smooth," Murray told reporters after Arizona's 17-13 win. "I was anxious to get out there, move around and throw it a little bit. I really just tried to execute whatever coach called, and I think we did that for the most part."

Boom, quick 6-yard out to Damiere Byrd. Swoosh, 8 yards to Trent Sherfield for a first down. Bam, 8 more yards to Sherfield.

Murray then dropped his arm slot down like he was turning a double play to hit David Johnson for a screen pass that went 14 yards.

The rookie evaded pressure with ease early in the drive, displaying the ability to throw the pigskin with accuracy on the move. A penalty and a sack, which he had no shot to avoid, ended the drive, but Murray showed the poise to methodically get the Cards out of trouble and flip the field, a key once the regular season gets underway.

Murray didn't throw the ball more than 9 air-yards downfield but peppered the sideline, which takes a strong arm. On several of his out-routes, Murray's ball whistled through the air with rare zip. Once he unfurls his pretty deep ball, the Cards offense could be a headache for defenses stretching it both wide and verticle.

It was just one drive, but Murray showed relaxed knowledge of Kliff Kingsbury's offense, making quick, decisive decisions. If the QB continues to progress, at the very least the Cards will be fun to watch.

Get on board while you can. The Murray Hype Train is poised to take off.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Things seem to have changed in the NFL.  Rookie QBs used to need time to develop.  But now, it seems like many are ready right out of the gates...

Mayfield, Darnold, Murray, Jones.....all looking good early.

Just an observation.

Well it helps in Murray case when you walk into a offense you been playing in for years.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Things seem to have changed in the NFL.  Rookie QBs used to need time to develop.  But now, it seems like many are ready right out of the gates...

Just an observation.

You can through Rosen in there as well.

7 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Well it helps in Murray case when you walk into a offense you been playing in for years.

When you draft any rookie QB to be your franchise guy, its wise to try to match the system to the QB, rather than force your QB into the coach's system.  So in that sense, sure, the Cardinals are a bit ahead of the curve by pairing him directly with a coach he's had success with.  But do you think the Browns will hesitate to fire Kitchens if he isn't adapting his system to Mayfield?  Or the same with Gase and Darnold here? 

A young franchise QB is the most powerful employee in the organization.  Only the owner(s) have more power than a franchise QB.  Everyone else becomes expendable.  So its in everyone's best interests to do everything in their power to make it work for that QB, including the offensive system. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When you draft any rookie QB to be your franchise guy, its wise to try to match the system to the QB, rather than force your QB into the coach's system.  So in that sense, sure, the Cardinals are a bit ahead of the curve by pairing him directly with a coach he's had success with.  But do you think the Browns will hesitate to fire Kitchens if he isn't adapting his system to Mayfield?  Or the same with Gase and Darnold here? 

A young franchise QB is the most powerful employee in the organization.  Only the owner has more power than a franchise QB.  Everyone else becomes expendable. 

This is true, but also new. Used to be college systems and pro systems, now they're significantly blurred. The league has wised up. You're paying these kids $30+M for four years, and that's a bargain rate for a franchise QB. Spending the first couple years breaking him into the pros just doesn't work anymore. Besides, the spread stuff is demonstrating itself to be successful at the pro level, no reason not to implement it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

This is true, but also new. Used to be college systems and pro systems, now they're significantly blurred. The league has wised up. You're paying these kids $30+M for four years, and that's a bargain rate for a franchise QB. Spending the first couple years breaking him into the pros just doesn't work anymore. Besides, the spread stuff is demonstrating itself to be successful at the pro level, no reason not to implement it.  

As long as your QB's knees don't get crushed, that is.  Though at least if they do, you're paying them on a rookie deal and not a massive cap-crushing contract. 

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just an observation.

The sport has changed. It's far more geared towards passing - A lot of the advantages the defence used to have been systematically taken away. 

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He looked really good yesterday of what i saw but he is so small.  He just looks smaller than the other small qbs in this league.

Yep, and that will lead to injuries if he doesn't protect himself.  The league has never been more protective of its QB's but that doesn't mean late hits and knee-crushing blows don't still happen.  Plus once you leave the pocket and start running you're no different than a RB.  Get out of bounds and slide early, Kyler.