Martavis Bryant

Definitely a decent amount of baggage that comes with him, but assuming the price is right, him and Anderson stretching the field could be awesome to watch.

I know Douglas prioritizes high character guys, but is this a move you would have to give some consideration to assuming he and the league come to some sort of agreement?

Thoughts?

From rotoworld:

Suspended free agent WR Martavis Bryant has applied for reinstatement.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Bryant has been working with the NFL and the Players Association on steps he needs to take to address his mental health issues, with therapists and ADHD treatments. Bryant has been trying to come to an agreement with the league for proper treatment for his mental health. Still 27, Bryant could yet again get another chance.

Kind of a delicate locker room to bring in a guy like this.  Better for the team and him if he gets added to a team with strong veteran leadership where he will simply have to fall in line and not lead.  IMO, the Jets have not had great success with guys like this recently - Winslow, Marshall, Erin Henderson, ASJ. 

• Upvote 1

I believed very strongly in his talents early in his Steelers career.  But that time has come and gone.  If he was going to approach his ceiling,  he would have done so by now even in his limited time on the field.

Reminds me of Chris Henry, whom I enjoyed watching play.

Hard pass on Martavis.

My new hope is Preston Williams... even if he is a Phin.

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Definitely a decent amount of baggage that comes with him, but assuming the price is right, him and Anderson stretching the field could be awesome to watch.

I know Douglas prioritizes high character guys, but is this a move you would have to give some consideration to assuming he and the league come to some sort of agreement?

Thoughts?

From rotoworld:

Suspended free agent WR Martavis Bryant has applied for reinstatement.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Bryant has been working with the NFL and the Players Association on steps he needs to take to address his mental health issues, with therapists and ADHD treatments. Bryant has been trying to come to an agreement with the league for proper treatment for his mental health. Still 27, Bryant could yet again get another chance.

What price is the "right price" for a guy who hasnt worked out anywhere he's been? 

You dont have to give consideration to a guy who clearly has the ability, but has clearly shown to not want it. 

Granted, anyone can change...that doesn't mean a Jets team looking to avoid dysfunction should consider him.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What price is the "right price" for a guy who hasnt worked out anywhere he's been? 

You dont have to give consideration to a guy who clearly has the ability, but has clearly shown to not want it. 

Granted, anyone can change...that doesn't mean a Jets team looking to avoid dysfunction should consider him.

Funny thing is the same people that say give him a look are the same one's that would say dump this bum if he was on the Jets..:roll:

• Upvote 2

I actually don't see a problem bringing him in to compete for a roster spot. Not much to lose, if you ask me. If he under performs, you cut him, if he is locker room or off field concern, cut him. Our roster right now has 2 spots up for grabs at WR (if they carry 6).  If he looks dominant in camp and coaches feel like he is on the right track mentally to focus on football, he could be a steal. He has the talent and has shown he can play in the NFL. He's also not an old vet on his last legs, the guys is 27. So it would not be a terrible risk to take b/c the guy could turn into a long term starter. 

• Upvote 4

Why on earth would we take a chance like this?

I know the Jets need some upgrades and additions at WR but we still have concerns about Robby Anderson's off-field stuff occasionally.....why sign up a guy who is even worse?

Let's minimize our headaches, get through 2019 with a very interesting WR group (Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnett, Dortch?)...and then head into a very loaded WR Draft in 2020 with a plan to add a guy in Round 2 or 3.

I was looking at this in the sense, that what if we signed him to a 1 or 2 year deal very team friendly, which depending on how many other teams are interested, he might sign since we have a QB in place, a familiar teammate in L. Bell, and an opportunity to compete for a starting position because of our depth issues.

Maybe he doesn't tackle our starting lineup, but another team gets riddled with injuries, and we could move him before the deadline, even if ti was for a late round pick in the draft.

I'm not arguing his personality issues, and he doesn't have consistency, but he was a difference maker at times for Pittsburgh.

Has never played a full season, check.

Has never surpassed 1,000 yards, check. 

Has never caught more than 50 passes in a season, check. 

Not even officially eligible to be on an NFL roster due to behavioral issues. 

JN: "we should kick the tires" 

• Haha 1

I can see bringing in a "boom" or "bust" kind of guy if the "boom" meant we could really compete with a long playoff run.

The reality is, this year is all about Darnold's development, not making the playoffs.  I'd rather roll with the core guys we have then try to force someone else in that mix.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kind of a delicate locker room to bring in a guy like this.  Better for the team and him if he gets added to a team with strong veteran leadership where he will simply have to fall in line and not lead.  IMO, the Jets have not had great success with guys like this recently - Winslow, Marshall, Erin Henderson, ASJ. 

Wonder what Bell, and Bryant’s relationship was/is like would Bell be able to keep the kid in line, would they be toxic together, that would be the biggest thing I’d have to know before even considering looking his way.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

You clearly don’t understand his mental health issues because if you did you would never spew this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Wonder what Bell, and Bryant’s relationship was/is like would Bell be able to keep the kid in line, would they be toxic together, that would be the biggest thing I’d have to know before even considering looking his way.

I don't know if they'd be toxic, but if Bell were going to keep him in line, wouldn't he have done so?  Bryant was suspended in 2015 and for the year in 2016 while Bell was his teammate.   

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know if they'd be toxic, but if Bell were going to keep him in line, wouldn't he have done so?  Bryant was suspended in 2015 and for the year in 2016 while Bell was his teammate.   

Personally, I think Bell should be focused on ensuring that he's 100% ready to go come Week 1 of the NFL season to elevate this offence. He should be focused on learning the offence and developing chemistry with Darnold. I would not want to see him saddled with a bum who has washed out of the league because he can't keep his off-field priorities in order.

No problem whatsoever with taking a shot.  

We need talent at numerous positions, and sometimes have to take risks.  In this case, the risk is basically nothing.  If we can get something out of him, it's worth it for the 90th guy on the roster.  I will personally drive Eric Tomlinson to the airport and pickup Bryant from rehab.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Jet said:

would not want to see him saddled with a bum who has washed out of the league because he can't keep his off-field priorities in order.

Another person who does not understand his mental struggle, if you did you wouldn’t post this.  Now I’m not saying it’s the right move I’m just saying people are assuming these issues are something he can just drop like smoking weed, they are not, and the medication needed to treat these disorders are ones the NFL does not want players on which is unfortunate for Bryant making it impossible for him to play football at his highest level without them.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ex-Steeler receivers are always a safe bet, right? 

Holmes was solid in his first year with the Jets and helped us get to the AFCCG, problem was that we resigned him to a large contract and got rid of half the offense to fund it.   After the contract was signed, he was injured and never had a productive season afterwards.