Jets hire Matt Sheldon as director of football research and strategy

2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/16/jets-hire-matt-sheldon-as-director-of-football-research-and-strategy/

The Jets have made an addition to their analytics department and the new arrival has ties to both head coach Adam Gase and General Manager Joe Douglas from previous stops.

Rich Cimini of ESPN.com noted that Matt Sheldon is the team’s new director of football research and strategy. The team never made a formal announcement of the move, but Sheldon is listed on the team’s website with that title.

Sheldon spent the last two years with the Dolphins in the same role and Miami wasn’t the first spot where he worked with the former Dolphins head coach. He also worked with Gase in Chicago during the 2015 season when he was the Bears’ director of analytics and football research. Gase was the Bears’ offensive coordinator that year and Douglas was the director of college scouting.

Sheldon also worked as an assistant defensive backs coach with the Vikings from 2010-11, the Bills’ linebackers coach from 2006-09 and a defensive assistant with the Rams from 2001-05.

Is he younger than Phil Regan ?

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Guys, you mock, but this is where sports is headed.  Analytics has a role in every sport.  It may not show visible results for a few years while they figure out how to use the data they have at their fingertips, but if you aren't trying, you're dying.

I think the mock is really just that the name seems a bit over the top.  At least to me it kind of is. 

As for analytics, you're spot on.  And, hopefully it works!

Offensive genius HC. Check.

Best Defensive coordinator in the NFL. Check.

Best young GM. Check.

Analytics mastermind. Check.

My goodness. We’ve become a juggernaut.

Just kidding. Anyone who laughs at or ignores the influence and importance of analytics in sports today simply isn’t paying attention.

• Upvote 1

An example is how Bellicheck right off the bat on the kickoff touchbacks netting the ball on the 25 yard line mostly has his kicker put the ball inside the 5 so it has to be brought out and for the most part the KR is stopped between the 18-20 yard line. Now that 5-7 yards saved per kickoff position was shown to make major differences in games. That would be something where analytics can assist with strategies like that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Guys, you mock, but this is where sports is headed.  Analytics has a role in every sport.  It may not show visible results for a few years while they figure out how to use the data they have at their fingertips, but if you aren't trying, you're dying.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. Pretty much every team has some sort of analytics department now. 

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Agreed, what I like most is Sheldon was an actual coach.  So he should be able to combine the "numbers"

with football.  Numbers by themselves are useless

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Is that from the conference where he explains, in depth, the analytics and best strategies for touching boobies?

I always thought it was the press conference where he made fun of the nerds saying the running back position was devalued and used Jonathan "hasn't lost a step in 10 years" Stewart as his shining example. But given that Gettleman has been playing chess while us rubes play checkers that might have been some sort of advanced analytic sexual metaphor that went over my head.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

An example is how Bellicheck right off the bat on the kickoff touchbacks netting the ball on the 25 yard line mostly has his kicker put the ball inside the 5 so it has to be brought out and for the most part the KR is stopped between the 18-20 yard line. Now that 5-7 yards saved per kickoff position was shown to make major differences in games. That would be something where analytics can assist with strategies like that. 

One of the interesting ones I've read is that Belichick purposefully had his offense run the no-huddle on the opposite hash of the opposing team's sideline and picked and chose when to allow the defense to substitute. The reason was because the extra length that the bigger DL had to run to get into position for the snap had a negative impact on their ability to explode off the line, or resulted in TB snapping the ball for a 12 men on the field penalty when the DL was trying to get off the field already winded from a succession of hurry-up/no-huddle plays.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ehh. Macc used stats in his draft process and look where it got him.

Macc’s average of TV mock drafts was cutting edge at the time.

On a serious note, I’m hoping we incorporate analytics throughout the organization. From the draft process to the free agency process to even on the field decisions.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I wanted one of those so bad growing up. One of my neighbors had one, and I was pissed that he would give it to me or trade it for some other toy/item of childhood value. And he didn't even like football. AS%hole.

A lot of set up for your RB to hit the line, reverse course & go the wrong way. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Football Research & Strategy is clearly a brand new department in the Jets' organization. 

They've had 3 guys in lab coats locked up in a sterile room all day with a football that was used in the Jets final game last season.  The only things they've come up with so far is that it's brown, made of leather, and rarely gets into the end zone.  Their research continues...

science-behind-football-listing-image_facebookshare_1200.jpg.8cdebb34e77e8acb99e0f9f60c00d68d.jpg

54 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They've had 3 guys in lab coats locked up in a sterile room all day with a football that was used in the Jets final game last season.  The only things they've come up with so far is that it's brown, made of leather, and rarely gets into the end zone.  Their research continues...

The burning question is, was it thrown accurately?

? @Jet Nut @Warfish

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

I wanted one of those so bad growing up. One of my neighbors had one, and I was pissed that he would give it to me or trade it for some other toy/item of childhood value. And he didn't even like football. AS%hole.

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

A lot of set up for your RB to hit the line, reverse course & go the wrong way. 

How about a pass where your QB had the rubber band arm and you’d flick the ball at a receiver and you’d argue with your brothers for 10 minutes “that hit the receiver!!” “no it didn’t!!”