50 Barry Sanders highlights for his 51st

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The reason I’ve always felt a certain kinship with Barry Sanders is that he’d make thirty dazzling moves just to get back to the line of scrimmage and that was always how I interpreted every interaction I’ve ever had with women. 

You need to preserve your energy for the main event Tom

istockphoto-502875742-1024x1024.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The reason I’ve always felt a certain kinship with Barry Sanders is that he’d make thirty dazzling moves just to get back to the line of scrimmage and that was always how I interpreted every interaction I’ve ever had with women. 

You are insufferable 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

freeman mcneil also had some gorgeous 2 yd runs...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I’m actually surprised how often he was caught from behind in this video. I loved him back on the day.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He was running 60 yards from LOS with 20 different east/west jukes which adds another 10 yards. Remember that the CB's had the angles also. Not a 4.2 guy but that vision and those moves are what  set him apart!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I’m actually surprised how often he was caught from behind in this video. I loved him back on the day.

He didn't have amazing straight line speed.   Don't get me wrong, he wasn't a slug, but he wasn't a 4.2 guy.    It was the elusiveness and the acceleration that was off the charts.

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

During his 2000 yard season he averaged 6.1 yards per carry. ? I remember him being great, didn’t realize how great that season was. 

Averaged 5.0 for his career, which is amazing.   Almost averaged 100 yards per game for the career, I believe only Jim Brown has done that.

He was running 60 yards from LOS with 20 different east/west jukes which adds another 10 yards. Remember that the CB's had the angles also. Not a 4.2 guy but that vision and those moves are what  set him apart!

Don’t take it the wrong way, I’m not knocking him at all. He and Bo Jackson are my favorite RB’s I’ve ever seen. I was just surprised to see in the first 30 or so runs he got caught from behind quite a bit.

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Don’t take it the wrong way, I’m not knocking him at all. He and Bo Jackson are my favorite RB’s I’ve ever seen. I was just surprised to see in the first 30 or so runs he got caught from behind quite a bit.

I didn't see flat get caught from behind much. The times he got caught from behind, the defender either had an angle on him or he was slowed down by arm tackles. There were 2 or 3 plays where the defender clearly just out ran him though. 

His claim to fame was his suddenness though. 

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

He didn't have amazing straight line speed.   Don't get me wrong, he wasn't a slug, but he wasn't a 4.2 guy.    It was the elusiveness and the acceleration that was off the charts.

Agree. He was just so sudden and accelerated so quickly. 

Looked it up, he ran a 4.37 40. So still pretty fast. He had a funky running style which I dont recall, but shows up in that highlight film. When he breaks away, he tends to almost gallop.

The 'knock' on Barry was always that he would gain a yard, lose a yard, then gain 20 yards for a great net average.  The problem was if you absolutely needed 2 yards on 3rd down, he wasn't necessarily the best option.  In truth, I'm not sure if that's really the case, but it is how I recall it.

Here's one stat that sort of sums this up, using Thurman Thomas a a comp.

On 1st and 10 plays, Thomas had 46 1st downs on 530 attempts (8.7%).  Barry had 141 1st downs on 880 attempts (16%)

On 3rd/4th and short plays, Thomas converted 46/77 (59.8%).  Sanders converted 36/69 (52.2%).

He was certainly one of the absolute most exciting guys to watch for sure.