Gase: "Sometimes you got to let a guy be a baller"

Good stuff. Hes fun to watch for sure, glad we have him

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CTM said:

Good stuff. Hes fun to watch for sure, glad we have him

Yeah, def glad we have Sam....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It's only a minute or so worth of content, but very cool listening to Gase break down film of Darnold.

..i Luv him !   :wub:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Think Gase is the right coach for Sam, he understands the risks and rewards, will let Sam be Sam.  Bates couldn’t have been worse.

Should translate to a dynamic offense all round - God willing. 

I would be surprised if we don't score some points. I'm thinking at least 24 PPG 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

That's a really good mentality to have when it comes to coaching and developing Sam.

When Bates took off the training wheels last year is when Sam started playing exceptional football.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, def glad we have Sam....

See Gase discussed in a thread, jump in too complain about Gase and call anyone who likes him out.

Never would expected to see one of the first responses to be by Fidelio. LOL

How about you give the guy a chance.  What guaranteed sh*t of success did you think we missed by hiring Gase.  Enjoy

Really exciting to see Gase juiced up on Sam. Things just seem right with this combo.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Nice to have a head coach that actually gets excited about football. Haven't been this excited for a season since 2011 (coming off back to back AFCCG appearances).

Bowles was excited when he got his Gladys Knight and the Pips tickets..B)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Bowles was excited when he got his Gladys Knight and the Pips tickets..B)

Now he's on that midnight train to Tampa Bay.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It's only a minute or so worth of content, but very cool listening to Gase break down film of Darnold.

God damn it my boner pants in the wash

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I think Darnold is going to mask alot of Gase's coaching deficiencies (specifically as a playcaller), similar to what Rodgers did for McCarthy

This is gonna be a fun season

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That flat footed flick from the waste...

dude...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, King P said:

Darnold is going to mask alot of Gase's coaching deficiencies (specifically as a playcaller)

A brief breakdown of what you mean? 

You can basically look at his play calling in Denver and say well he had Peynton. You can basically look at his play calling in Miami and say well he had Tannehill and a group of back ups.

Seems to be a coach that molds to what his Quarterback is good at. If Darnold is the real deal, the play book will be wide open

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

A coach with real emotion?!?

This is uncharted water we are in.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

tim tebow business GIF

Seems like so long ago......

Darnold has all the tools to become something truly special if his development continues.

Side note, Enunwa needs to stay on his feet after catching that pass during minicamp.  Darnold hit him perfectly in stride, uncontested, and he had alot of room to run.

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have wood. 

36 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I have wood. 

My Dan is steely

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Why do you only have 1 pair of boner pants??!!

For god sakes, man, get with the program!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

That flat footed flick from the waste...

I assume you were trying to spell "waist" here...

EDIT: Okay, I just watched the video and saw what you were referring to. Just ordered 3 more pairs of boner pants.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Darnold has all the tools to become something truly special if his development continues.

Side note, Enunwa needs to stay on his feet after catching that pass during minicamp.  Darnold hit him perfectly in stride, uncontested, and he had alot of room to run.

Less chance of getting hurt. 

It is the right approach with Sam. He will always be a gunslinger and has a lot of Favre in him. He will likely always throw more interceptions than some other elite QBs but will also win games by himself. Most fans will love him, but Sam WILL lose us a game maybe a pivotal one being too aggressive and the fans that really are still in a defensive mindset and love QBs like Alex Smith and think interceptions and completion percentage are everything will continue not liking him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It is the right approach with Sam. He will always be a gunslinger and has a lot of Favre in him. He will likely always throw more interceptions than some other elite QBs but will also win games by himself. Most fans will love him, but Sam WILL lose us a game maybe a pivotal one being too aggressive and the fans that really are still in a defensive mindset and love QBs like Alex Smith and think interceptions and completion percentage are everything will continue not liking him.

Favre's first year as a starter he had a 64.1% Completion %.  Lifetime he was 62%, low for elite players of his era, but fine.

If Darnold is at 64% next year, i think we'd all be very pleased by that.  Right?  And we have reason to hope he will be.

If he's still sub-60%, that's not something to applaud because "gunslinger"......is it?

Who was the last sub-60% QB to win a Super Bowl (asking, as I honestly don't know).

Lets look at last year's NFL Playoff QB's:

Brady 66.2%
Goff 63.4%
Luck 66.2%
Wilson 65.6%
Rivers 66.7%
Foles 69.2%/Wentz 69.6%
Watson 67.5%
Prescott 67.3%
Trubisky 66%
Mahomes 65.3%
Brees 73.7%
Jackson 58.2%

Only one established guy under 65% (Goff).  And one guy (Jackson, a rookie) who ran more than passed at 58.2%.

Now, would you call all these guys timid?  Or afraid to make hard throws?  Of course not.

Winning QB's generally speaking are at or over 65% completion rate.  

That is where we want Darnold, gun-slinging or not, and where he has the talent and potential to take him.