Sign in to follow this  
WayneChrebet80

ESPN Future Power Rankings-Jets 29

1 minute ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Where the Jets are in 3 years

Can’t disagree... Macc gave us a window of 1 season in which we might be successful and that’s this year. Unless Darnold becomes a top 10 QB we’re a team without talent after next season. Joe Douglas has a lot of work ahead of him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Confused 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

What talent are we losing?  

If it measures our status in 3 year...

1) Bell will probably not be here anymore

2) Enunwa probably will not be here anymore 

3) Anderson is on a 1 year tender

4) We might not return any o-line starters next year so it’s all a big question mark

5) The only CB that might still be on the roster is Roberts 

6) Maye would need a new contract 

7) Leo out of contract after this year

8 Avery Williamson out of contract 

9) Adams extension

10) Darnold extension 

And that’s looking forward 3 years, if we look into 2020 we could need to replace (by next year):  5 o-line, 2 CBs, 1 safety, 2 of our best front 7 players, 1 WR.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, flgreen said:

LOL

You can do the same thing with almost any team in the NFL on a 3 year projection.

You can but we’re in worse shape than most. Which players on this roster would you definitely invest in or trust to be on the Jets in 3 years. I can only think of 3 if we don’t include rookies: Darnold, Adams and a 30 year old CJ Mosley.

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The post I responded to said we had a 1-year window.  That is preposterous.  You want to go to a 3-year window?  Why?  EVERY NFL team should be able to completely overhaul in 3 years.  You list guy there that literally signed extensions in the offseason (Enunwa) - yet you are worried about him not being here?  He is signed through 2022.  I'd be more worried if they were on the books past his age 30 season. Darnold was in his rookie year of a 4 year deal with a team option for a 5th and he is on your list of silly worries?  Please. 

This is who we have to worry about replacing next year - Leo Williams (he basically makes the franchise figure now and they drafted his replacement), Robby Anderson, both tackles, but they sucks, so big whoop.  The entire interior line is signed for 2020 - they also mostly suck, so that is a good thing.  CB is a worry, but the guys they have are signed.  Pool is the only one not signed past this season.  

Avery Williamson is signed for 2020.  So is Marcus Maye who is always hurt.  The team has an option for Adams for 2021.  You left out Jordan Jenkins who is up after this year. 

Leo, Anderson, Jenkins and the tackles are the only worries for next offseason.  Find a team with less to worry about. They have a ton of money and few players up. 

Saying that a player sucks so we don’t need to upgrade him is not really a counterpoint. It’s actually exactly my point. Macc left us with a bare cupboard for the future. Either bad players or no players beyond this one-year window where things have to fall exactly right in order for the team to find success.

As for the o-line, if Osemele falters he’s cut and if Winters falters he’s also cut. It’s possible that the only returning OL next year is Harrison.

Having 3 bad CBs is the same as having 0 CBs so I’m not sure why it’s a good thing that they’re signed through 2020. 

Robby isn’t signed after this season and Enunwa can be cut after this year, if he’s injured then he’s done here and that sucks. 

If we still had Macc I’d be distraught with our precarious reality but we don’t and all of this can change rapidly. However, Macc left us in a sh*tty place and after 3 years of rebuilding we have a flawed team and 1 year of hopeful success. Douglas seems like he can right the ship but the future was grim before he got here.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1 year?  Based on what, leaving $35 million cap room?  Signing Enunwa, Bell, Mosely?  Helping the OL?   I'm trying to see went we weeks step back a year later.

I don't care about predictions for this season, they could be right but with a new CS, FO, continued growth at QB, this year's draft and the next few we could whine up a lot better than these pointless predictions

This season I think we’re a playoff team. I really like Gase and Douglas. I think Douglas will fix Macc’s errors. But right now with the way Macc built this roster and the contracts he gave out, this team is not built for future success. With about $60 million in cap next year this team will need to find starters/ upgrades at 3 o-line spots, number 1 CB, WR, Edge. And that’s not including extensions for Leo or Jenkins. 

My point isn’t that the Jets suck and will suck forever. It’s that Macc spent 3 years rebuilding a roster that will have to be rebuilt again if they want to be competitive during Sam’s rookie deal.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The stupidity of the people who get worked up over it.

The only "Power Ranking" that matters, Wins and Losses.

Bring on the SEASON!  :yahoo:

It’s actually a reasonable discussion if framed in the context of roster construction and building blocks for a run over the next few years. But people would rather get mad and shout at the internet.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the way the nfl is now, you build sustainable success by having a real good qb and drafting reasonably well.  if darnold is good and the new gm is legit, that's that blueprint.

It’s not the only way. The Eagles use roster depth and veteran signings to create a platform for their QBs’ success. The Patriots suck at drafting but spend heavily in their secondary to keep them in games until they can hit their spots. The Rams use free agency to get proven YAC guys to give their QB little to do. The Chiefs draft well and had success before their stud QB came to them. 

Basically there’s more than 1 way to built sustainable success but the Jets set themselves up to find no long term success. 

I’m just so happy that Macc is gone.

1 minute ago, rammagen said:

but every team faces this expiring contracts and what not, it is who you sign to stay around and who/what you use to replace them. That is why I am hopeful for Douglas he should find talent rather then having it fall to him. and with this staff hopefully they develop and use the talent better

I’m hopeful for Douglas... I hate the route Macc took us to maybe, possibly, if everything falls right, be competitive this year 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Guess I'm trying to follow the idea that our biggest signings won't help beyond one season.  Bells 26.  Modely isn't old.  Crowder too.

Jets are young enough to continue to complete more than one season if Douglas replenishes talent moving forward.  That's the real key IMO

Because Bell relies upon his OL and we don’t have one next year. Mosley is a good piece but he can’t stop teams from killing us downfield. While I love Mosley and Bell they’re limited by the players around them and we’re not in a good spot when you look at the players around them, especially after this season.

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually Bell doesn't really on his OL.  OLs really on RBs and QBs to keep a D honest.  And why will be be gone in 3 years is he doesn't hey hurt etc?

I'm not getting the logic with Mosley either.  Are you saying he isn't good, weakens the D and it will only get worse? 

All is this also bells the question what will change in year 2?  Douglas is he does his job is going to have a team that gets worse?  After those players help it reverses?

Anyone can guess this scenario will happen.  Without real reason.  While most would think with better drafting and plenty of cap room we'll improve.  Also doesn't this week for every team ever assembled?

Because i'm not giving Douglas credit until he does something. Macc was reactive and the team's construction suffered as a result. I'm sure Douglas understands the roster problems that are looming and he'll be proactive in fixing them, but until he does something,  there are issues.  The secondary and the OL need to be completely retooled and their contracts need to be extended or replaced. Our best WR is on a 1 year tender and there is no replacement on the roster. 2 of our best defensive players are in contract years and several more are reaching the point of their contracts where they can be cut or traded. It's a lot of work for Douglas. 

OL determines RB play (usually). It's rare that it works the other way around. 

I'm saying that Mosley is an average in coverage ILB in a time when offenses are passing more and it will limit Mosley's impact just as it did in Baltimore. If you have a stud secondary then Mosley can do what he does best and stop the run but we don't have the secondary for it so you'll see Mosley play more coverage and it will limit his impact.

If Douglas works some magic then a lot of this can be fixed but it relies on having an exceptional draft and free agency period next year. It is more likely (because the draft is never a given) that next year's draft only adds 1 starter and a few contributors we need much more than that to avoid a let down season. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m out and about and will read this later, but from what I can make out, they’re saying the Jets are doomed already?? 

Silver lining: Adam Gase’s Dolphins put up performances that projected them for less wins than they actually achieved. So if the Jets only have enough quality to win 7 they might win 9 with good situational play.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company