Sign in to follow this  
WayneChrebet80

ESPN Future Power Rankings-Jets 29

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

What does this measure?

The stupidity of the people who get worked up over it.

The only "Power Ranking" that matters, Wins and Losses.

Bring on the SEASON!  :yahoo:

• Upvote 2

teams can change fortunes quickly, so this is nothing but click bait.  it's going to be fun watching the jets beat up teams like cleveland on national tv.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1 year?  Based on what, leaving $35 million cap room?  Signing Enunwa, Bell, Mosely?  Helping the OL?   I'm trying to see went we weeks step back a year later.

I don't care about predictions for this season, they could be right but with a new CS, FO, continued growth at QB, this year's draft and the next few we could whine up a lot better than these pointless predictions

This season I think we’re a playoff team. I really like Gase and Douglas. I think Douglas will fix Macc’s errors. But right now with the way Macc built this roster and the contracts he gave out, this team is not built for future success. With about $60 million in cap next year this team will need to find starters/ upgrades at 3 o-line spots, number 1 CB, WR, Edge. And that’s not including extensions for Leo or Jenkins. 

My point isn’t that the Jets suck and will suck forever. It’s that Macc spent 3 years rebuilding a roster that will have to be rebuilt again if they want to be competitive during Sam’s rookie deal.

Just now, kdels62 said:

This season I think we’re a playoff team. I really like Gase and Douglas. I think Douglas will fix Macc’s errors. But right now with the way Macc built this roster and the contracts he gave out, this team is not built for future success. With about $60 million in cap next year this team will need to find starters/ upgrades at 3 o-line spots, number 1 CB, WR, Edge. And that’s not including extensions for Leo or Jenkins. 

My point isn’t that the Jets suck and will suck forever. It’s that Macc spent 3 years rebuilding a roster that will have to be rebuilt again if they want to be competitive during Sam’s rookie deal.

the way the nfl is now, you build sustainable success by having a real good qb and drafting reasonably well.  if darnold is good and the new gm is legit, that's that blueprint.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The stupidity of the people who get worked up over it.

The only "Power Ranking" that matters, Wins and Losses.

Bring on the SEASON!  :yahoo:

It’s actually a reasonable discussion if framed in the context of roster construction and building blocks for a run over the next few years. But people would rather get mad and shout at the internet.

Just now, kdels62 said:

O-Linemen can be found in Free Agency and in Mid-Rounds of the Draft.

A legit #1 WR should be able to be found with a 1st round pick, even a later pick.

Cornerback......well, should also be found in a late #1 pick, or (with less surety) a 2nd or 3rd round pick if we're lucky and the class is a good one.

Suffice to say, our material talent weaknesses can and should be able to be filled via smart drafting and selective use of Free Agency.

I think we have reason to be optimistic on that point.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

But people would rather get mad and shout at the internet.

People are sheep, easily led around by their noses by the media.  Especially the sports media.

A discussion of roster construction and long term potential sounds good tho.  But that's not a "Power Ranking" discussion.

2 hours ago, Kolchak said:

Drivel.  Clickbait from an organization reduced to trolling fan bases for relevance. 

You know they can only put each team in one spot right... 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the way the nfl is now, you build sustainable success by having a real good qb and drafting reasonably well.  if darnold is good and the new gm is legit, that's that blueprint.

It’s not the only way. The Eagles use roster depth and veteran signings to create a platform for their QBs’ success. The Patriots suck at drafting but spend heavily in their secondary to keep them in games until they can hit their spots. The Rams use free agency to get proven YAC guys to give their QB little to do. The Chiefs draft well and had success before their stud QB came to them. 

Basically there’s more than 1 way to built sustainable success but the Jets set themselves up to find no long term success. 

I’m just so happy that Macc is gone.

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

If it measures our status in 3 year...

1) Bell will probably not be here anymore

2) Enunwa probably will not be here anymore 

3) Anderson is on a 1 year tender

4) We might not return any o-line starters next year so it’s all a big question mark

5) The only CB that might still be on the roster is Roberts 

6) Maye would need a new contract 

7) Leo out of contract after this year

8 Avery Williamson out of contract 

9) Adams extension

10) Darnold extension 

And that’s looking forward 3 years, if we look into 2020 we could need to replace (by next year):  5 o-line, 2 CBs, 1 safety, 2 of our best front 7 players, 1 WR.

but every team faces this expiring contracts and what not, it is who you sign to stay around and who/what you use to replace them. That is why I am hopeful for Douglas he should find talent rather then having it fall to him. and with this staff hopefully they develop and use the talent better

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Guess I'm trying to follow the idea that our biggest signings won't help beyond one season.  Bells 26.  Modely isn't old.  Crowder too.

Jets are young enough to continue to complete more than one season if Douglas replenishes talent moving forward.  That's the real key IMO

1 minute ago, rammagen said:

but every team faces this expiring contracts and what not, it is who you sign to stay around and who/what you use to replace them. That is why I am hopeful for Douglas he should find talent rather then having it fall to him. and with this staff hopefully they develop and use the talent better

I’m hopeful for Douglas... I hate the route Macc took us to maybe, possibly, if everything falls right, be competitive this year 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Guess I'm trying to follow the idea that our biggest signings won't help beyond one season.  Bells 26.  Modely isn't old.  Crowder too.

Jets are young enough to continue to complete more than one season if Douglas replenishes talent moving forward.  That's the real key IMO

Because Bell relies upon his OL and we don’t have one next year. Mosley is a good piece but he can’t stop teams from killing us downfield. While I love Mosley and Bell they’re limited by the players around them and we’re not in a good spot when you look at the players around them, especially after this season.

I wonder where they have the Pats and their then 44 year old QB?

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

People are sheep, easily led around by their noses by the media.  Especially the sports media.

A discussion of roster construction and long term potential sounds good tho.  But that's not a "Power Ranking" discussion.

The OP didnt do a good job of explaining the article.  It's a 3 year projection based on the roster, coaching staff and FO.  Basically, they're saying the Jets suck this year and will still suck 3 years from now because of all those things I listed.

Essentially, the writer knew that NY fans are over sensitive nancies and made the perfect piece to jab their fans.  Every year Jets fans think they're destined for success, especially this season with a new FO and coaching staff.  So, like a smart writer trying to drive views during the dead time - lets list the 2 NY teams as bottom 3 and watch those oversensitive New Yorkers squirm over this nonsense.

• Post of the Week 1

They can put us at any number.  The Giants and Dolphins being lower is all I care about.

ESPN is 100% correct here.  Until we can put consecutive winning seasons in place we should be at the bottom of any list.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

The OP didnt do a good job of explaining the article.  It's a 3 year projection based on the roster, coaching staff and FO.  Basically, they're saying the Jets suck this year and will still suck 3 years from now because of all those things I listed.

Essentially, the writer knew that NY fans are over sensitive nancies and made the perfect piece to jab their fans.  Every year Jets fans think they're destined for success, especially this season with a new FO and coaching staff.  So, like a smart writer trying to drive views during the dead time - lets list the 2 NY teams as bottom 3 and watch those oversensitive New Yorkers squirm over this nonsense.

Ah.

Got to say, the turnover in the NFL is enough that I find multi-year projections to often be quite flawed and of limited use.

This is especially true with a new Head Coach and new GM and Front Office in place.  This team could look WILDLY different a year from now.

NFL = Not For Long for a reason.  Using today to presume the 2021 or 2022 season is, IMO, a bit silly.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Because Bell relies upon his OL and we don’t have one next year. Mosley is a good piece but he can’t stop teams from killing us downfield. While I love Mosley and Bell they’re limited by the players around them and we’re not in a good spot when you look at the players around them, especially after this season.

Actually Bell doesn't really on his OL.  OLs really on RBs and QBs to keep a D honest.  And why will be be gone in 3 years is he doesn't hey hurt etc?

I'm not getting the logic with Mosley either.  Are you saying he isn't good, weakens the D and it will only get worse? 

All is this also bells the question what will change in year 2?  Douglas is he does his job is going to have a team that gets worse?  After those players help it reverses?

Anyone can guess this scenario will happen.  Without real reason.  While most would think with better drafting and plenty of cap room we'll improve.  Also doesn't this week for every team ever assembled?

The defense has four core young players in Q, Adams, Mosely and Leo.  Add Jenkins, Anderson and Maye and that's pretty solid.  The offense has a potential franchise QB (the KEY piece to all of this), TE and Robby (if he's signed, which I think he will be).  Douglas has to find CB, OL (although I think Osemele and Chuma will be key pieces for the next three years), a WR and complimentary pieces around them.  Harrison is an X factor in all of this which downgrades their ranking.

It's impossible to judge the FO because they're new and have no track record.  It's quite possible Douglas can find some pieces in free agency.  He will likely have around $50mm to play with after re-signing Leo and Robby and cutting Winters and Daryl Roberts.  If Roberts plays well he won't be cut but it will be one less piece to fix.  Between the cap and the draft Douglas needs to find a CB, 2-3 OL and a WR.  If he also needs to find a pass rusher all bets are off.  Still it's doable.  

Using the same logic the Pats will need to replace Edelman, Watson, Andrews, Cannon, Guy, Pennel, Bennett, Van Noy, Hightower, Simon, Chung, McCourty, McCourty and Gilmore.  The entire starting secondary!  Oh yeah, and their 44 year old QB.

2 hours ago, GATA said:

I don't think we should be complaining about the ranking based on our performance the last couple of years. 

Personally, I just hope we make a statement when it matters the most that's during the season.

The preseason rankings are pointless.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

You know they can only put each team in one spot right... 

You know fan bases of every team with a poor ranking are now probably discussing it in fan forums, creating more views of the article, right....

5 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

You know fan bases of every team with a poor ranking is now probably discussing it is fan forums, creating more views of the article, right....

So your argument is with the format and not the actual result. I’m sorry you don’t like rankings but humans have been ranking everything since the first caveman ranked “cooked mammoth” over “raw mammoth.”

Despite the new FO, the roster is not well-constructed.  Douglas does not have the means to fix it now.  It will be a tough season.  

I may be overly optimistic, but I am highly confident that the new FO will draft and acquire players much, much better than Mac did.   The Jets will add at least 5 players a year through the draft that are likely better than guys we currently have.  

If I were Douglas I would try and trade D players for value and accumulate OL now and picks for next year.   I would rather have future draft picks used by Douglas than Leo and Jenkins in 2019, for example.   Douglas should build to make a serious run in 2020.  

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I’m pretty sure they are one of the factors used to compute seeding for the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

So your argument is with the format and not the actual result. I’m sorry you don’t like rankings but humans have been ranking everything since the first caveman ranked “cooked mammoth” over “raw mammoth.”

They had cooked and raw right there in front of them.  They weren't ranking based on long term assumptions, or hopes.  No problems with rankings, so long as some credible information backs them up.

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually Bell doesn't really on his OL.  OLs really on RBs and QBs to keep a D honest.  And why will be be gone in 3 years is he doesn't hey hurt etc?

I'm not getting the logic with Mosley either.  Are you saying he isn't good, weakens the D and it will only get worse? 

All is this also bells the question what will change in year 2?  Douglas is he does his job is going to have a team that gets worse?  After those players help it reverses?

Anyone can guess this scenario will happen.  Without real reason.  While most would think with better drafting and plenty of cap room we'll improve.  Also doesn't this week for every team ever assembled?

Because i'm not giving Douglas credit until he does something. Macc was reactive and the team's construction suffered as a result. I'm sure Douglas understands the roster problems that are looming and he'll be proactive in fixing them, but until he does something,  there are issues.  The secondary and the OL need to be completely retooled and their contracts need to be extended or replaced. Our best WR is on a 1 year tender and there is no replacement on the roster. 2 of our best defensive players are in contract years and several more are reaching the point of their contracts where they can be cut or traded. It's a lot of work for Douglas. 

OL determines RB play (usually). It's rare that it works the other way around. 

I'm saying that Mosley is an average in coverage ILB in a time when offenses are passing more and it will limit Mosley's impact just as it did in Baltimore. If you have a stud secondary then Mosley can do what he does best and stop the run but we don't have the secondary for it so you'll see Mosley play more coverage and it will limit his impact.

If Douglas works some magic then a lot of this can be fixed but it relies on having an exceptional draft and free agency period next year. It is more likely (because the draft is never a given) that next year's draft only adds 1 starter and a few contributors we need much more than that to avoid a let down season. 

22 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

100%

5 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

They had cooked and raw right there in front of them.  They weren't ranking based on long term assumptions, or hopes.  No problems with rankings, so long as some credible information backs them up.

Let’s just ban all opinions

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Let’s just ban all opinions

Only opinions you disagree with. 

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Only opinions you disagree with. 

I disagree ;) 

It's all about the quarterback.

Just my opinion, but this is a gutless prediction (using the past to define future results) and shows little confidence in Darnold as a franchise quarterback.  Perhaps my expectations of Darnold are inflated as a fan of the team, but I expect at worst a middle of the pack team in 3 years based on quarterback play alone.

And the "they're going to lose players x, y, z within three years" argument is laughable.  You can play the same exact game for every team in the NFL.  As if every transaction for the next three years will be subtraction with no addition in free agency or the draft whatsoever.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:12 PM, kdels62 said:

Because i'm not giving Douglas credit until he does something. Macc was reactive and the team's construction suffered as a result. I'm sure Douglas understands the roster problems that are looming and he'll be proactive in fixing them, but until he does something,  there are issues.  The secondary and the OL need to be completely retooled and their contracts need to be extended or replaced. Our best WR is on a 1 year tender and there is no replacement on the roster. 2 of our best defensive players are in contract years and several more are reaching the point of their contracts where they can be cut or traded. It's a lot of work for Douglas. 

OL determines RB play (usually). It's rare that it works the other way around. 

I'm saying that Mosley is an average in coverage ILB in a time when offenses are passing more and it will limit Mosley's impact just as it did in Baltimore. If you have a stud secondary then Mosley can do what he does best and stop the run but we don't have the secondary for it so you'll see Mosley play more coverage and it will limit his impact.

If Douglas works some magic then a lot of this can be fixed but it relies on having an exceptional draft and free agency period next year. It is more likely (because the draft is never a given) that next year's draft only adds 1 starter and a few contributors we need much more than that to avoid a let down season. 

So instead of agreeing with a simple, tried and true concept, that Douglassneeds to keep bringing in talent and improving the roster so you'll disagree with that concept until Douglas improves the roster.  Interesting take, bring up Macc, tie JD to him and predict the team will fall off after one year.  Just assume Douglas won't get it down

When you say Mosley is average in coverage first you're wrong and you said teams will run all over us, didn't you? Hes an improvement, easily over what we have.  WTF does that even have to do the team only getting one year out of the roster.  

Athlon Sports

2019 Inside Linebacker Rankings

1. Luke Kuechly, Carolina

Acumen at pre-snap diagnosis reflected by his franchise-record 20 tackles for a loss in 2018. He has more tackles (948), interceptions (17) and takeaways (25) than any other linebacker since entering the NFL as a 2012 first-round pick.

2. Bobby Wagner, Seattle

Seattle’s defense has allowed an average of just 17.4 points in the 103 career games he has played since being a 2012 second-round pick. Only Jack Lambert (15.4) and Ray Nitschke (17.3) have a lower career average among Hall of Fame linebackers.

3. C.J. Mosley, New York Jets

The Jets made him the highest-paid inside linebacker in NFL history (five years for $85 million with $51 million guaranteed) to lure him from Baltimore. Forced 15 turnovers between 2014-18, the second-highest total among all NFL linebackers in that span.

The New York Jets not only made a big splash on the offensive side of the ball this offseason by signing Le’Veon Bell, but they also made waves on the defensive side, signing linebacker C.J. Mosley.  

Mosley will join a Jets linebacking corps that includes Avery Williamson, Brandon Copeland, and Jordan Jenkins, a group that Mosley will unquestionably be the captain of.

So, what should the Jets expect from Mosley going into 2019?

Well, what we do know is that New York is getting a guy who has consistently been one of the best linebackers in football since he entered the league with the Baltimore Ravens back in 2014.  

Mosley has made the Pro Bowl in four of his five NFL seasons, and in the one year he didn’t make the Pro Bowl in 2015, he was still spectacular, racking up 117 tackles, four sacks, a forced fumble, a couple of fumble recoveries, seven passes defended, and a defensive touchdown.

Obviously, the Jets are getting a star here, and the best part is that Mosley fits their 3-4 defense, as he played in the same style of defense in Baltimore.  There is no reason why New York should not expect Mosley to be every bit as productive as he was during his time with the Ravens, with Mosley flashing his talent as a run stopper, occasional pass rusher, and as a pass defender, particularly in 2016 when he logged four interceptions. 

Some guys can just slide into new teams with new surroundings and be perfectly fine, and Mosley is almost surely one of those players.

The Jets’ defense was already solid as it is, and with the addition of Mosley, it gets that much better.

Also, keep in mind that Mosley’s impact goes beyond just himself. Not only will Mosley be able to post numbers and dominate the game as an individual, but he will also help out the rest of New York’s defense, especially the other linebackers.  For example, Mosley will make Williamson, a fellow inside linebacker, better, and Williamson was already pretty good to begin with, as he registered 120 tackles, three sacks, a pick, a pair of forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery in 2018.

The duo of Mosley and Williamson will be lethal up the middle, and with solid pass rushers like Jenkins and Copeland on the outside, the Jets could end up having one of the best linebacking corps in football next season.  Throw in the fact that safety Marcus Maye is getting healthy after an injury-plagued second year in the NFL and will be back alongside of Jamal Adams, and New York should have a nasty defense in general.

While Bell stole all the headlines, Mosley may have been the best overall pickup for the Jets this offseason, as he is, without a doubt, one of the best linebackers in the league and might instantly become the best player on the Jets’ defense.  Expect another 100-tackle season out of Mosley with some sacks and fine pass coverage to boot, and expect better seasons from all of the players around him as a result.

Hes not a HOF LB but he's no liability to a defense, even in coverage