Sign in to follow this  
WayneChrebet80

ESPN Future Power Rankings-Jets 29

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

ESPN back office New England fandom

Well, they have  offices in the new Rams stadium..so guess what happens now when NE is done

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

It's all about the quarterback.

Just my opinion, but this is a gutless prediction (using the past to define future results) and shows little confidence in Darnold as a franchise quarterback.  Perhaps my expectations of Darnold are inflated as a fan of the team, but I expect at worst a middle of the pack team in 3 years based on quarterback play alone.

And the "they're going to lose players x, y, z within three years" argument is laughable.  You can play the same exact game for every team in the NFL.  As if every transaction for the next three years will be subtraction with no addition in free agency or the draft whatsoever.

gutless?  It's been correct for...whst now? 30 years? On 5he bright side,  it probably  means the team will be no worse then top 20 :) . I bet , at the end of the year , only about 5 teams deviate  from the generality of placement from this list.. granted, I haven't  seen it all

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Just my opinion, but this is a gutless prediction (using the past to define future results) and shows little confidence in Darnold as a franchise quarterback.  Perhaps my expectations of Darnold are inflated as a fan of the team, but I expect at worst a middle of the pack team in 3 years based on quarterback play alone.

And the "they're going to lose players x, y, z within three years" argument is laughable.  You can play the same exact game for every team in the NFL.  As if every transaction for the next three years will be subtraction with no addition in free agency or the draft whatsoever.

Sure Qb is the most important position, but you have to put the weapons, and the offense line behind him. ( to get ultimate production) See Steve Young looked like garbage playing in Tampa bay , but became a franchise Qb behind a real offense line .     David Carr could have been a great Qb if he went to the right team, but he went to the Texans who neglected investing in the offense line.( guy took such a bad beating that he never developed ) .

Sam Darnold is no superman. He needs an offense line.    Trading for an offense lineman that is terrible fit for zone blocking scheme is someone not doing their homework.

Teams make adjustment , and I expect them to take away Darnold rolls outs,  and force him to stay in the pocket .   You have substandard offense line , and the Qb tries to run make a play ,  and bad things happen. 

8 hours ago, peebag said:

My power rankings have the Jets at number one.  Always!

Top 20. I'd say the teens is fair.

Football Outsiders 2019 Prospectus released today-anyone download? Jets projected win total I’m guessing is 6.5-7.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Well, they have  offices in the new Rams stadium..so guess what happens now when NE is done

I don’t think the future is as great for the rams as people say

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Football Outsiders 2019 Prospectus released today-anyone download? Jets projected win total I’m guessing is 6.5-7.

The early part of the jets schedule is BRUTAL and then it gets a lot easier after week 6

8 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Without a good offense line , any qb is diddly-poo .

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t think the future is as great for the rams as people say

They just got a SB as soon as they moved there. The future us already happening. Their owner will be the new Turner/Kraft.

9 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

gutless?  It's been correct for...whst now? 30 years? On 5he bright side,  it probably  means the team will be no worse then top 20 :) . I bet , at the end of the year , only about 5 teams deviate  from the generality of placement from this list.. granted, I haven't  seen it all

Jets always overperform low expectations and underperform high expectations. Let ‘em sleep on us, I say.

• Haha 1

I would put my house up against those gutless ESPN writers that there is no way in hell the Jets pick 4th in the 2020 draft.

RIDICULOUS. 

This team without Cowder, Bell, Mosely, Poole, KO, QW, could have easily been 7-9, 8-8 last year under a competent coaching staff. We went 1-5 in the division alone last year, I don't see that happening this year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I would put my house up against those gutless ESPN writers that there is no way in hell the Jets pick 4th in the 2020 draft.

RIDICULOUS. 

This team without Cowder, Bell, Mosely, Poole, KO, QW, could have easily been 7-9, 8-8 last year under a competent coaching staff. We went 1-5 in the division alone last year, I don't see that happening this year.

6-9 wins is the range for me. It’s difficult to win less than 6 games four years in a row. 

23 hours ago, kdels62 said:

If it measures our status in 3 year...

1) Bell will probably not be here anymore

2) Enunwa probably will not be here anymore 

3) Anderson is on a 1 year tender

4) We might not return any o-line starters next year so it’s all a big question mark

5) The only CB that might still be on the roster is Roberts 

6) Maye would need a new contract 

7) Leo out of contract after this year

8 Avery Williamson out of contract 

9) Adams extension

10) Darnold extension 

And that’s looking forward 3 years, if we look into 2020 we could need to replace (by next year):  5 o-line, 2 CBs, 1 safety, 2 of our best front 7 players, 1 WR.

Whom does it say we are drafting, re-signing, releasing, signing as FA, and what injuries are predicted?

8 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

They just got a SB as soon as they moved there. The future us already happening. Their owner will be the new Turner/Kraft.

They are the flavor of the month it will wear out.  Gurley might have to retire early and Goff is a soft b-tch 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

RIDICULOUS. 

ESPN HATES the jets their back office and on air guys are all fairweather patriots and/giants fans

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

They are the flavor of the month it will wear out.  Gurley might have to retire early and Goff is a soft b-tch 

Gurley has nothing to do with it. Neither does Goff. The Rams will be like the Lakers, and  Will get unexplainable magic for the next decade. McVay is the new Gibbs. He'll win no matter who he coaches. They'll have a down year, this year but rise again. 

On 7/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, Augustiniak said:

teams can change fortunes quickly, so this is nothing but click bait.  it's going to be fun watching the jets beat up teams like cleveland on national tv.

And the Raiders 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I’m out and about and will read this later, but from what I can make out, they’re saying the Jets are doomed already?? 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m out and about and will read this later, but from what I can make out, they’re saying the Jets are doomed already?? 

Actually no. Down on Gase though.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Silver lining: Adam Gase’s Dolphins put up performances that projected them for less wins than they actually achieved. So if the Jets only have enough quality to win 7 they might win 9 with good situational play.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Actually no. Down on Gase though.

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Silver lining: Adam Gase’s Dolphins put up performances that projected them for less wins than they actually achieved. So if the Jets only have enough quality to win 7 they might win 9 with good situational play.

Ah. Thanks. I’ll read it in a few. Looks interesting 

On 7/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, Jet Nut said:

So instead of agreeing with a simple, tried and true concept, that Douglassneeds to keep bringing in talent and improving the roster so you'll disagree with that concept until Douglas improves the roster.  Interesting take, bring up Macc, tie JD to him and predict the team will fall off after one year.  Just assume Douglas won't get it down

When you say Mosley is average in coverage first you're wrong and you said teams will run all over us, didn't you? Hes an improvement, easily over what we have.  WTF does that even have to do the team only getting one year out of the roster.  

Athlon Sports

2019 Inside Linebacker Rankings

1. Luke Kuechly, Carolina

Acumen at pre-snap diagnosis reflected by his franchise-record 20 tackles for a loss in 2018. He has more tackles (948), interceptions (17) and takeaways (25) than any other linebacker since entering the NFL as a 2012 first-round pick.

2. Bobby Wagner, Seattle

Seattle’s defense has allowed an average of just 17.4 points in the 103 career games he has played since being a 2012 second-round pick. Only Jack Lambert (15.4) and Ray Nitschke (17.3) have a lower career average among Hall of Fame linebackers.

3. C.J. Mosley, New York Jets

The Jets made him the highest-paid inside linebacker in NFL history (five years for $85 million with $51 million guaranteed) to lure him from Baltimore. Forced 15 turnovers between 2014-18, the second-highest total among all NFL linebackers in that span.

The New York Jets not only made a big splash on the offensive side of the ball this offseason by signing Le’Veon Bell, but they also made waves on the defensive side, signing linebacker C.J. Mosley.  

Mosley will join a Jets linebacking corps that includes Avery Williamson, Brandon Copeland, and Jordan Jenkins, a group that Mosley will unquestionably be the captain of.

So, what should the Jets expect from Mosley going into 2019?

Well, what we do know is that New York is getting a guy who has consistently been one of the best linebackers in football since he entered the league with the Baltimore Ravens back in 2014.  

Mosley has made the Pro Bowl in four of his five NFL seasons, and in the one year he didn’t make the Pro Bowl in 2015, he was still spectacular, racking up 117 tackles, four sacks, a forced fumble, a couple of fumble recoveries, seven passes defended, and a defensive touchdown.

Obviously, the Jets are getting a star here, and the best part is that Mosley fits their 3-4 defense, as he played in the same style of defense in Baltimore.  There is no reason why New York should not expect Mosley to be every bit as productive as he was during his time with the Ravens, with Mosley flashing his talent as a run stopper, occasional pass rusher, and as a pass defender, particularly in 2016 when he logged four interceptions. 

Some guys can just slide into new teams with new surroundings and be perfectly fine, and Mosley is almost surely one of those players.

The Jets’ defense was already solid as it is, and with the addition of Mosley, it gets that much better.

Also, keep in mind that Mosley’s impact goes beyond just himself. Not only will Mosley be able to post numbers and dominate the game as an individual, but he will also help out the rest of New York’s defense, especially the other linebackers.  For example, Mosley will make Williamson, a fellow inside linebacker, better, and Williamson was already pretty good to begin with, as he registered 120 tackles, three sacks, a pick, a pair of forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery in 2018.

The duo of Mosley and Williamson will be lethal up the middle, and with solid pass rushers like Jenkins and Copeland on the outside, the Jets could end up having one of the best linebacking corps in football next season.  Throw in the fact that safety Marcus Maye is getting healthy after an injury-plagued second year in the NFL and will be back alongside of Jamal Adams, and New York should have a nasty defense in general.

While Bell stole all the headlines, Mosley may have been the best overall pickup for the Jets this offseason, as he is, without a doubt, one of the best linebackers in the league and might instantly become the best player on the Jets’ defense.  Expect another 100-tackle season out of Mosley with some sacks and fine pass coverage to boot, and expect better seasons from all of the players around him as a result.

Hes not a HOF LB but he's no liability to a defense, even in coverage 

I’m a lot more optimistic about our defense then a lot of the “we have no CBs” people here. I think GW is a good, aggressive DC. Not a great one, but I think his personality is perfect for the group we have. He’ll scheme, push, prod, and cajole underachievers like Leo and Johnson to another level in my opinion.

I think the offense will rely very heavily on the run. Bell will be the main focus there obviously, and the passing game will be very conservative, not very different from last year. A lot of short passes to Bell obviously, mix in Herndon, Crowder and Enunwa with acouple of deep shots to Anderson to keep people honest.

I don’t think Gase is ready to give Darnold the reins yet.   I don’t think he feels Darnold is close to ready for that. I see Bell and the defense as the ones he relies on to get us over the hump in 2019.

To sum it up, we have the pieces to be a really good defense. I think that will happen. I don’t feel the same about the offense, because I just don’t think Darnold is at the point yet where he can take over a team. He’s still an unfinished product.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Alright, so, this was interesting but it’s ridiculously punitive toward Gase. They explicitly say Maccagnan sucked...then rip Gase for getting him out, then they guess that Gase wanted full roster control...but personally hired Joe Douglas and gave him full roster control, and their evidence for this is that they traded Darron Lee—who had no position here— in the interim? And then they dump all of Miami’s problems onto him as well...and then admit that Miami overachieved while he was there? Seems petty

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Interesting read and illustrates every reason why I hated the Gase hire.  Not only is he terrible at what he's supposedly great at, he cant get along with anyone.  Frank Gore is the most low key superstar maybe in the history of the league and he was at odds with him too?  He ran off all their talent, alienated their best player and favored Gore to him but they still didnt get along?  Bizarre.  Dudes a legit psychopath who has terrible social skills and it's clear he quickly loses favor with his players.  As I've said before, hopefully he's the right kind of crazy to help this god forsaken franchise but his track record is bad. 

While it's encouraging to see them say they could possibly be a .500 team, this could easily be one of the most combustible locker rooms in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Interesting read and illustrates every reason why I hated the Gase hire.  Not only is he terrible at what he's supposedly great at, he cant get along with anyone.  Frank Gore is the most low key superstar maybe in the history of the league and he was at odds with him too?  He ran off all their talent, alienated their best player and favored Gore to him but they still didnt get along?  Bizarre.  Dudes a legit psychopath who has terrible social skills and it's clear he quickly loses favor with his players.  As I've said before, hopefully he's the right kind of crazy to help this god forsaken franchise but his track record is bad. 

While it's encouraging to see them say they could possibly be a .500 team, this could easily be one of the most combustible locker rooms in the NFL. 

I also was against Gase. Data from his time with Miami suggests that Gase's playcalling is conservative, relies heavily on the run and extended runs (screens/dumps to flats), and can design great deep shots but is not very good at scheming guys open in short and intermediate routes.

These were all things I didn't want for our 22 year old QB with sky high potential.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think it may not be all that bad to bring him along slowly like that. Also, maybe Gase called/designed plays a specific way because of who he was working with? Maybe he's learned from it and gotten better?

I don't know, and I'm certainly not giddy about Gase the way a bunch of guys here are, but I'm willing to give him a chance. One thing's for sure though, if Darnold doesn't progress, I'm laying it all 100% at Gase's feet. Don't give a sh*t about what anyone else has to say on the matter.

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I also was against Gase. Data from his time with Miami suggests that Gase's playcalling is conservative, relies heavily on the run and extended runs (screens/dumps to flats), and can design great deep shots but is not very good at scheming guys open in short and intermediate routes.

These were all things I didn't want for our 22 year old QB with sky high potential.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think it may not be all that bad to bring him along slowly like that. Also, maybe Gase called/designed plays a specific way because of who he was working with? Maybe he's learned from it and gotten better?

I don't know, and I'm certainly not giddy about Gase the way a bunch of guys here are, but I'm willing to give him a chance. One thing's for sure though, if Darnold doesn't progress, I'm laying it all 100% at Gase's feet. Don't give a sh*t about what anyone else has to say on the matter.

Gase has zero excuses.  Mac set him up with the perfect compliment pieces for his offense;  Enunwa, Crowder, Montgomery and Bell (dumbest sh*t ever if Gase was really upset about that amazing contract) were by far the best offseason fits for his short yardage/dump off/boring check down offense they could find...all those dudes excel close to the LOS.   And he has a great over the top guy to take advantage of the D creeping to the line.  The OL is nowhere near as bad as it people here make it out to be...can be upgraded? Hell yes.  But they're a middle of the pack group who should benefit from the balling coming out faster in this system. He has everything he needs to run his system.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to see how all of the ESPN hacks start slobbering all over Darnold when he leads the Jets to 9-10 wins this season.  Shoot, they'll all be verbally fellating him if he wins a few games to start the season and will be claiming they had confidence in him and the team all along.  Bunch of phony, uninformed clowns. 

• Downvote 1