Sign in to follow this  
paulyjet

Watching highlights. Why let Andre Roberts go

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He sucked, just like he did here

Be ashamed. He was a great kick off returner and great on those gimmick plays. Watching him and Leon was the last time we had an exciting offense.  

Leon Johnson, Leon Washington and Chad Morton were all nasty return men for the Jets. This year I'm thinking Montgomery will be the kickoff returner and the punt returner still up in the air

On 7/17/2019 at 10:32 AM, paulyjet said:

The guy was an awesome returner.

No matter who's running things we never keep our best players.

Typical jets

🤬

Spelled Terrelle Pryor wrong.....

1/2 of Darnolds highlight reel is him throwing to Pryor. 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, rangerous said:

good points.  i remember when they let guys like chad morton go.  same argument.  and morton gets replaced by another guy who does well.  we'll see soon enough what roberts replacement can do.

21 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Who was the one guy that was a great KR for us and then went to the Skins?

Morton or something?

Chad Morton made the 2005 Pro Bowl

the Jets used a second rounder 57 overall on Justin Miller to replace Chad Norton.

This was the famous Nugent draft, so essentially those 2 guys were like their 1st round pick that season. 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:12 PM, bitonti said:

Chad Morton made the 2005 Pro Bowl

the Jets used a second rounder 57 overall on Justin Miller to replace Chad Norton.

This was the famous Nugent draft, so essentially those 2 guys were like their 1st round pick that season. 

justin miller wasn't half bad at returning kicks.  he just wasn't as good playing corner.  i remember it not as the nugent draft but the doug jolley trade year.  nugent at least was a pretty good kicker and had a good career.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

justin miller wasn't half bad at returning kicks.  he just wasn't as good playing corner.  i remember it not as the nugent draft but the doug jolley trade year.  nugent at least was a pretty good kicker and had a good career.

That was terrible draft, talk about over paying, a 1st rounder in exchange for a 2nd and Jolley.

Miller ended up a Raider in the end. 

You constantly are looking for replacements on STs.  

Theyre usually bottom of the roster guys, pay wise.

When they finally have a good year in their 30s and some think they've earned the right to go from the usual league minimum type to 4.5 mil per type you move on.

Its not that hard to see why hes gone.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, rangerous said:

justin miller wasn't half bad at returning kicks.

Didnt he make the pro bowl as a return man?  

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Didnt he make the pro bowl as a return man?  

i think he may have.  in any case he did pretty well so it's not like they lost much by giving up morton.  i suspect it will be the same thing with roberts.  these returners are important but not as important as an every down player.  miller's problem is he wasn't a very good corner.

I think Moss was returning punts when they had Morton.  I don't think Morton ever made the pro bowl.  He basically only returned kick offs.  he left in 2003 and the Jets replaced him with a few guys, mostly I remember Jonathan Carter who was a serious burner and a true 1 trick wonder take the top off the D WR.  In 2005 they drafted Miller who eventually did make the pro bowl as a returner.  Moss left, so they used Cotchery to capably, but slowly return punts.  In 2006 the new regime signed Tim Dwight and drafted Leon who eventually took over at everything after Miller blew out his knee the following year.  

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

in any case he did pretty well so it's not like they lost much by giving up morton.  

they used a second round pick to replace him not exactly a bargain 

but that was back when the team was trying to win games not just keep the lights on until tb12 retires 

ill say it again: THEY ARE 30 MIL UNDER THE CAP RIGHT NOW 

the Johnsons have a word for unused cap it's called profit 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

they used a second round pick to replace him not exactly a bargain 

but that was back when the team was trying to win games not just keep the lights on until tb12 retires 

ill say it again: THEY ARE 30 MIL UNDER THE CAP RIGHT NOW 

the Johnsons have a word for unused cap it's called profit 

Chad Morton last played for the Jets in 2002.  Justin Miller was drafted in 2005 and he was the replacement?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Chad Morton last played for the Jets in 2002.  Justin Miller was drafted in 2005 and he was the replacement?

ok fair enough 

they drafted Santana Moss in the first round to use a punt returner before that happened

2003 team KR duties were split between Jonathan Carter and Michael Bates 

2004 Cotchery took some KR from Carter

they didn't really replace the Morton Production until Miller 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

good call. yes miller came in 2005 and morton's last season was 2002.  in between they kind of had a ko return by committee with carter and jordan and cotchery.  but i think the main issue was why the jets would give up a guy like morton or roberts and in both cases they just aren't worth huge contracts.  imo miller was a better kick returner than morton although there was some let down during the in between years.  the issue with miller is he was drafted high enough that he should've been a decent corner which he wasn't.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good call. yes miller came in 2005 and morton's last season was 2002.  in between they kind of had a ko return by committee with carter and jordan and cotchery.  but i think the main issue was why the jets would give up a guy like morton or roberts and in both cases they just aren't worth huge contracts.  imo miller was a better kick returner than morton although there was some let down during the in between years.  the issue with miller is he was drafted high enough that he should've been a decent corner which he wasn't.

Right.  Who was a better kick returner isn't the issue.  It is that Chad Morton was not demonstrably worse at corner.  In fact, I'd bet Joe McKnight was better. 

Anybody around in 2008-2009 when some Raider fan was touting Miller as a starting CB.   He had "turned the corner?"  I assume it was @Raideraholic or some reasonable facsimile.  

• Upvote 1