Sign in to follow this  
Miss Lonelyhearts

Janet Weiss quit Sleater-Kinney.

I had a meatball hero for lunch today. It was okay, nothing great...

I wonder if you will hook anyone 

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Buddy Rich just rolled over in his grave.

Stewart Copeland?  

• Upvote 2

Just now, JiF said:

Stewart Copeland?  

John Bonham?

38 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

John Bonham?

Terry Bozio and Ginger Baker?

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

John Bonham?

Died while in the band, no? 

My name wasnt about his opinion of the worlds greatest drummer but more so his question; Copeland, while he started the band, always had side projects going on and had one foot out the door before Sting eventually threw a grenade on it all. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Died while in the band, no? 

My name wasnt about his opinion of the worlds greatest drummer but more so his question; Copeland, while he started the band, always had side projects going on and had one foot out the door before Sting eventually threw a grenade on it all. 

Big drinker. Failed attempt to start a Word Association of good drummers. The Police were great live, ended far to soon. Copeland, and the Police are an all time favorite had their albums right out of the shoot in Middle, and HS. I prolly took second to Sting, back then my wife loved him. He has some good songs, plus Dune. Lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Big drinker. Failed attempt to start a Word Association of good drummers. The Police were great live, ended far to soon. Copeland, and the Police are an all time favorite had their albums right out of the shoot in Middle, and HS. I prolly took second to Sting, back then my wife loved him. He has some good songs, plus Dune. Lol.

They are definitely ones of those bands I would have love to seen live.  Shame they couldnt co-exist.  They produced all time great music. 

Copeland is insane.  They're times where it sounds like he has 4 arms or a second drummer is in the band.  Just incredible. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, CTM said:

I wonder if you will hook anyone 

There's only one other person here who gives a sh*t about this in the first place and the odds against anybody being able to get past both Portlandia and Corin Tucker's voice are pretty long. Might as well have some fun.

I go back and forth on lots of canonical stuff. Beatles/everybody else. The Clash/London Calling. Appetite/Nevermind. One Beat came out in 2002 and has been my #1 since at least this thread so at this point that doesn't seem like it's realistically going to change.

21 hours ago, JiF said:

Stewart Copeland?  

That's good. I've only ever really described JW as Keith Moon with zero mistakes but Copeland definitely works if you want to do it X+Y= style. I think Mitch Mitchell and Dave Grohl were perfect drummers too but with the obvious qualifiers for Hendrix and for Cobain. There is too much metaphysically tied up in the guitar to put a drummer on the same level of Hendrix but she's close enough to imagine having a puncher's chance in an objectively fair fight.

• Post of the Week 1

Music is one of those things, where love is so individual, that I never feel it's right to judge what others love.  Can't say I'm a huge fan of Sleater-Kinney, but I can absolutely feel your pain when it comes to having people leave bands or bands break up that you love.  Sadly, as much as we all want these artists to love each other as much as we love them, the artistic and personal tensions in a band are often way, WAY more than we fans ever see.  If she walked away, it's probably either that, or just one of those "I can;t live this life anymore" things, completely understanding as a life on the road is hell, regardless of how rewarding it can be.

Sorry to hear your band lost their drummer Lonely.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There's only one other person here who gives a sh*t about this in the first place and the odds against anybody being able to get past both Portlandia and Corin Tucker's voice are pretty long. Might as well have some fun.

I go back and forth on lots of canonical stuff. Beatles/everybody else. The Clash/London Calling. Appetite/Nevermind. One Beat came out in 2002 and has been my #1 since at least this thread so at this point that doesn't seem like it's realistically going to change.

Too funny, I didnt see this post and was about to respond to the other about how I could never get past their vocals.  lol.  Different strokes for different folks but cleary the drums drove that band.  Or at least IMO.

As far as greatest album, nothing changed for me, it's still London Calling.

That said, ever since Bowie died...I havent been able to put his music down...Hunky Dory is climbing up into my top 5.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Music is one of those things, where love is so individual, that I never feel it's right to judge what others love.  Can't say I'm a huge fan of Sleater-Kinney, but I can absolutely feel your pain when it comes to having people leave bands or bands break up that you love.  Sadly, as much as we all want these artists to love each other as much as we love them, the artistic and personal tensions in a band are often way, WAY more than we fans ever see.  If she walked away, it's probably either that, or just one of those "I can;t live this life anymore" things, completely understanding as a life on the road is hell, regardless of how rewarding it can be.

Sorry to hear your band lost their drummer Lonely.  

The era ended on everybody. This was maybe the third time in human history that so much of the culturally-cum-historically capital-I important artistic output was concentrated in a single medium, idiom, and format. And no matter how wide you want to cast the net, the age of the rock album (corresponding to the early decline phase of imperial america from elvis and Vietnam to 9/11 and take your pick but for me its paranoid android through one beat), like those of gothic cathedrals and Victorian novels, is overrrrr.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Too funny, I didnt see this post and was about to respond to the other about how I could never get past their vocals.  lol.  Different strokes for different folks but cleary the drums drove that band.  Or at least IMO.

As far as greatest album, nothing changed for me, it's still London Calling.

That said, ever since Bowie died...I havent been able to put his music down...Hunky Dory is climbing up into my top 5.

I cheat and say US Clash with I Fought the Law and white man > London Calling > UK Clash. Either way its them and then everybody else for the 20 years between the Beatles and the Guns then Nirvana years.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JiF said:

They are definitely ones of those bands I would have love to seen live.  Shame they couldnt co-exist.  They produced all time great music. 

Copeland is insane.  They're times where it sounds like he has 4 arms or a second drummer is in the band.  Just incredible. 

Saw the Police twice (huge fan going in).  They were ok.  Nothing to write home about.  The second time I saw them, The (English) Beat opened for them and blew them off the stage.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

Saw the Police twice (huge fan going in).  They were ok.  Nothing to write home about.  The second time I saw them, The (English) Beat opened for them and blew them off the stage.

No sh*t?  lol  Wonder if the Police hated each other at that point.  Though, I do love me some English Beat.  Save it for later and Mirror in the Bathroom are just absolute gems from the 80's.  Then all their ska stuff...that would have been a fun show! 

• Upvote 1

I saw Sting play a free show in the Piazza del Duomo in Milan in 2006.  They did a ton of Police stuff.  Opened with Message in a Bottle and closed with Next to You.  Did A Day in the Life too.  They were pretty ******* good.  They were absolutely ripping at the end.  I think Josh Freese was on the drums.  Whoever he was, I don't think that guy has to apologize to anyone.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw Sting play a free show in the Piazza del Duomo in Milan in 2006.  They did a ton of Police stuff.  Opened with Message in a Bottle and closed with Next to You.  Did A Day in the Life too.  They were pretty ******* good.  They were absolutely ripping at the end.  Josh Freese was on the drums.  I don't think that guy has to apologize to anyone.

That was a ******* fantastic band. Freese and also Dominic Miller, who, when he stopped touring with the Pretenders, had to be replaced by two guys on Middle of the Road and they still had to slow it down.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That's good. I've only ever really described JW as Keith Moon with zero mistakes but Copeland definitely works if you want to do it X+Y= style. I think Mitch Mitchell and Dave Grohl were perfect drummers too but with the obvious qualifiers for Hendrix and for Cobain. There is too much metaphysically tied up in the guitar to put a drummer on the same level of Hendrix but she's close enough to imagine having a puncher's chance in an objectively fair fight.

Wow. Never heard of them before today but that bottom song was awesome. You ain't kidding that drummer can play. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wow. Never heard of them before today but that bottom song was awesome. You ain't kidding that drummer can play. 

You have, and didn't like them (see thread linked above), so thanks for giving it another spin, and I'm glad you weren't disappointed.

There can be only one true Janet Weiss:

Image result for rocky horror janet

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The era ended on everybody. This was maybe the third time in human history that so much of the culturally-cum-historically capital-I important artistic output was concentrated in a single medium, idiom, and format. And no matter how wide you want to cast the net, the age of the rock album (corresponding to the early decline phase of imperial america from elvis and Vietnam to 9/11 and take your pick but for me its paranoid android through one beat), like those of gothic cathedrals and Victorian novels, is overrrrr.

The Classic Universally Loved Rock Album Era has changed, ended, I agree.

But spectacular amazing life changing music IS still being created.  Of that I am sure.  You just have to look ALOT harder than you did in the past to find it IMO.

The one aspect of my life where I refuse to go the "old man" route is music.  I will never, ever, be that guys who says "music in my day..." or "today's music sucks because...".  Of my best recent find, from a genre I don't even like really, but I looooooove these guys, and they're amazing live:

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You’re not kidding. 

The second song was great. I was joking around in here until @Miss Lonelyhearts put that in here. They’re going to have a hard time replacing that drummer...

• Upvote 1

Hook anyone indeed. See what happens when you put a little faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture, you ******* curmudgeon?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Hook anyone indeed. See what happens when you put a little faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture, you ******* curmudgeon?

I liked the band better when Fred Armisen was a member.

Drummer is A+ though, on the XX curve. 

I went to NYU with Kaki King and unless somebody caught Hendrix she's better than anybody else anybody has seen. Carrie Brownstein (or whoever) is called 'great' but the difference between the two of them is about the same as the difference between Brownstein and somebody who took up guitar while I've been writing this. For KK and Weiss you can stick the spot and nobody else is A+ even on the XX curve.

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

There can be only one true Janet Weiss:

7 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I went to NYU with Kaki King and unless somebody caught Hendrix she's better than anybody else anybody has seen. Carrie Brownstein (or whoever) is called 'great' but the difference between the two of them is about the same as the difference between Brownstein and somebody who took up guitar while I've been writing this. For KK and Weiss you can stick the spot and nobody else is A+ even on the XX curve.

Don't know Kaki King, I'm sure she's great, but the idea that the best guitarist not named Hendrix and best drummer of all time both come from the much smaller pool of female players seems likely to be more a you thing than a reality thing. Which is why I was pressing your buttons about grading on an XX curve. 

To that point, my favorite pianist currently is Hiromi. I'm seeing her again this fall after her spring tour got cancelled due to a parasite. She also happens to be one of the more fierce players I can think of, no curve applied. Linked below

and psst, her drummer is one of the many "better" than the cow you are pimping, if such a thing as "better/best" can actually be quantified. Which it can of course provided you are a teenager or just baiting.

All trolling aside, I like Sleater-Kinney. They are a good band. I found them through Portlandia and don't remember the earlier thread you linked. I'm sure I listended back then but they must not of grabbed me, it took being a fan of the show to give them a harder look.

While it's not a genre I'm very familiar with they sound pretty original to me which is one of the more admirable things in my mind. They can also play their instruments which seems to be a rarity these days. I can't say I spin them often but I've listened enough to look into going to see them live several times. It's a shame they broke up and to your point, I don't think they'd be the same with a lesser drummer. What is happenning to their fall tour?