Chris & Woody's Butler

Thread for those of us giving Gase a clean slate.

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I originally liked the signing of Gase. But had no idea that he would go after Macc. Or that the owner would back up Gase. And then get applauded for it by many of our fans. The whole thing was kind of weird and Shakespearean. But you have to show me first that these guys are better. I'm willing to give them a chance but after all of the drama not that much of a chance. There has to be Ws. 

Gase took advantage of a weak owner. C.J. had a choice. Fire Gase, a coach he just hired, or fire Mac. The choice for him was obvious. Played brilliantly by Gase. Just likeLee-Strasberg.thumb.jpg.92c8c59af35039e69aa75e071d124088.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I loved the idea of the Gase hire before the Jets even brought him aboard.  Smartest coach the Jets have had in almost 20 years.

The irony is the player I wanted most, Le'V Bell, Gase thinks the Jets overpaid for.

Personally, I think we robbed the league to get him for $13M per.

Regardless, I can't wait to watch the two of them work together...

That's the problem i have with Gase. He thinks so too

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Just like many great athletes have an ego, many intelligent people can also have an aura of condescending arrogance.  Doesn't bother me. 

I am tired of watching Jets coaches making decisions that defy any due process of logic.  I am tired of watching Jet coaches playing chutes and ladders or candyland.  I wanted a guy that knows the AFCE, is not intimidated by Belichick, and can actually play chess.

Sometimes you outsmart yourself. In Miami, he would abandon the running game, or passing game, when it was working for them. Tried to catch the defense off guard, i guess. Didn't really work down there. Maybe it was the talent level on those teams. we shall soon see.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I dont believe that at all. I think Johnson just finally opened his eyes.

I respect your view. Firing Mac with Bowles would have made the most sense. To anyone with a high school diploma. To retain Mac, let him work the draft, spend millions in free agency, and then suddenly his eyes open, and lets him go. Don't believe it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc was proven, statistically, to be the worst GM at drafting (fewest players drafted that are still in the league). And it wasn’t even close. So yes, we do know he sucked badly and deserved to be fired.

Idzik sucked too. Douglas MIGHT suck. But Macc was quantifiable awful. So yes, we DO know he deserved to get fired.

You don't seriously believe if we win 9 or 10 games this year, it's because of the brilliant coaching of Gase, and not personal. Do you. If you do, then it was coaching, or lack of it, that played a part in our performance the last three years. Mac didn't pick bowles. Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf did.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we win 9-10 games, it’ll be because of Sam Darnold.

This idea that Macc deserves all kinds of credit for throwing a bunch of money at a LB who can’t cover and a RB is ludicrous. 5 offseasons and we don’t have a pass rush or corners and we’ll need to replace nearly the entire offense (outside of Darnold) after the 2020 season. Great job!

Crowder, Herndon, Anderson, Enunwa, and Bell. Good skill players. Bell was a steal at that price. Mosley is a 4 time pro bowler, who has a rep as a motivator and leader in the locker room. All were very good signings. As for the pass rush. If QW, is what everybody says he is, everybody will have an easier time getting pressure. Not even mentioning Polite. Corner is a question mark. Who will we need to replace????

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Crowder and Bell will be gone after 2020.  And you didn't mention the OL.  We'll need to replace Beachum, Osemele, probably Winters, and may need an upgrade at Center.  IF Edoga works out, he might be the only current OL on the roster who is a starter on the line in 2021.

QW is being forced to play NT in his first season.  IF he is a pass rusher he'll be doing so at the 3-4 DE spot where we've had many difficulties over the years generating any pass rush.   Polite is a major question mark.  Trumaine Johnson is a press corner, not a # 1 corner.  The rest of our CB's suck. 

Macc put us in terrible shape for the future.  He deserves very little credit for throwing a bunch of money at our problems and still failing to address any of our biggest issues (OL, Pass Rush, Corner).  If he had done any semblance of solid drafting over his 5 offseasons here, we wouldn't have these problems. 

This idea that Macc got fired DESPITE a great offseason is infuriating.  He did NOT have a great offseason.  He continued to spend heavy resources at positions that simply don't matter.  Him finally taking a pass rusher in Polite and an OL in Edoga was simply a matter of too little, too late. 

Bell is 27. Crowder isn't making big bucks. Why will they be gone.Beachum's replacement will be found in the draft. Strong draft for WR, and Tackles. Leo and QW, will play inside when in a 4-3. If Shepard can take a step up, maybe he'll be inside with QW, and Leo will be at end. You worry too much. Polite could turn out too be the steal of the draft. at least on passing downs he can contribute. It is possible that his tape at Florida, is something he can bring to the NFL. Sometimes the draft doesn't go the way you want it, and you can't do what is planned. Sometimes the draft is weak in positions of need. We're lucky. Next year, we'll have the chance to draft a stud LT, and #WR. If Polite works out, one shutdown corner away from a dominant defense. Don't count out Trumaine Johnson. Kacy Rodgers didn't use him the way he was used by every other DC, since he's been in the NFL. You mentioned in your last post about Darnold. If we win it will be because of him. Hopefully he'll be here for 10 yrs.

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Bell's contract is set up where he'll be wanting a new deal after 2020.  He'll be gone. 
  • Crowder is a FA after 2020. 
  • Beachum replacement:  Easier said than done.  If we do indeed win 9+ games this year, we might not be able to find a franchise LT without trading up.  We should have drafted a LT with one of our early picks the last 5 years. 
  • Who plays DE in the 4-3 looks?
  • If Polite doesn't work out, we have no pass rusher.  Heaping a lot on the 3rd rounder who dropped because of some sketchy reasons, like lack of athleticism and poor decisions-making.
  • Stud LT AND WR?  Interesting.  How will we do that, exactly?  Is the draft THAT deep at LT and WR that a mid-late 1st and 2nd will cover us there?
  • "One shutdown corner away".  And where will we find that?  Those don't tend to be allowed to walk in Free Agency. 
  • I think Trumaine plays well this year under Williams.  But he's not a # 1 corner, and he needs a pass rush to be effective. 
  • Darnold is the one and only thing that makes this roster look like anything special or exciting.  We're agreed that we go as far as he takes us.  But stop acting like Macc did a good job of building around him.  He didn't. 

You would depress everyone at a playboy mansion party. everything is a worst case scenario. We'll try and resign Bell and Crowder. If not, they'll be replaced. The one player you didn't mention was Robby. Im concerned about losing him. He would be alot harder to replace than a Crowder, or even Bell. Next years draft is loaded at WR. DE in a 4-3. Leo, Jenkins, Polite, Copeland. They'll experiment. Every team has holes in our division. If we went on every fan forum in the league. We'd here about what they're team is lacking in order to compete. Don't take my first sentence too seriously. Pretty much just ribbin you791969096_OscarMadison.jpg.f2ba7094652b3d39aec9567817c65ffd.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do not get me wrong.  I'm excited about the future of the Jets because Macc is gone and we have Sam Darnold.  The Gase/Douglas combo seems promising. 

I'm just expressing how frustrating it is for people to actually be giving Macc some semblance of "credit" for this upcoming 9-win season that has yet to happen.  And I'm also pointing out that Douglas has a ton of work to do to overcome Macc's many failures. 

Mac was the GM when we won 10 games with Fitzpatrick at QB. Why did we win 10 games. To me, it was the play of the QB. Our talent level was never as bad as it appeared. We just had shoddy QB play, and a bad coaching staff.

2 hours ago, slats said:

It wasn't, it was Decker and Marshall balling out and the Jets should've realized that instead of being held captive by Fitzpatrick the following year. That's just another example of Mac being bad at his job. 

We needed to field a team. Hopefully one, that could win some games, while we rebuilt. None of those players were ever going to be long term solutions. I think Mac got caught up with our failures at that position, and made some bad decisions along the way.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company