Chris & Woody's Butler

Thread for those of us giving Gase a clean slate.

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's exactly what he did with the Fins and made pretty poor defensive coordinator choices. So..he went out and hired a guy whose defenses haven't ranked much better than Todd Bowles the last five years. 

I think Gregg Williams was pushed onto Gase by Chris Johnson and Mike Maccagnan. They wanted to make both coordinator hires for Rhule, which is why those negotiations fell apart. Williams will be a culture shift after four years of Bowles' laid back style, but I don't expect him to last here more than two seasons. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I have no idea and neither does anyone else.  Remember when Idzick was the "adult in the room" and then we hired Mac "a personal guy", I hope Joe Douglas is good at this job, we dont know that he will be better than Mac.  Hard to be worse but said the same think about Izdick.  Gase has sucked everywhere he's been other than with Peyton Manning so yeah, it's all hope that the he figures it out and Joe Douglas is good at something he's never done before. 

I feel you. This could be his Peter Principle position. But you gotta like his pedigree. I also, frankly, really like the fact that the Jets came at him with four years at like $8M, and he negotiated himself 6 for $18M. If he looks out for the team the way he looks out for himself, we could have ourselves a good one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

To be clear though - Bowles defense outperformed Gase's offense in Miami.

If we’re really being clear, we should also note that Gase went 5-1 against Bowles over three years in Miami. 

1 hour ago, genot said:

Mac was the GM when we won 10 games with Fitzpatrick at QB. Why did we win 10 games. To me, it was the play of the QB. Our talent level was never as bad as it appeared. We just had shoddy QB play, and a bad coaching staff.

It wasn't, it was Decker and Marshall balling out and the Jets should've realized that instead of being held captive by Fitzpatrick the following year. That's just another example of Mac being bad at his job. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Now, their talent and effort most certainly was a huge part of that productive passing year, but to pretend that Fitz wasn't also a part of it is just silly.  Typical for the all-or-nothing ways of JN these days, but silly none the less.  That year's team was a team effort.  No one carried anyone.  :rolleyes:

Fitz is a perfect example of a QB who can look better on paper than in real life. He never should've been the Jets QB the following year. Once he established his asking price, the Jets should've said thanks, no thanks, and moved on. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

By "moved on" you mean "give up on the season" by throwing Geno back out there to fail horribly?

Geno improved from year one to year two, despite the fact that the team overall was worse. Then he got punched in the face. I would've signed another, far less expensive veteran, and let that vet and Geno battle it out. Sure. Fitz completed less than 60% of his passes in 2015 with Decker and Marshall making circus catches every week. Someone in the organization should've caught on. They wound up handing that season over to Petty, who sucked far worse than Geno ever did. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company