Thread for those of us giving Gase a clean slate.

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He wouldn’t of been hired without committing to Sam. Periodttt...

the point of bringing a new young creative offensive guy in was so that he can help Darnold further his development because everyone in that building at One Jets Drive believes that he’s the one to finally break the curse.

No way.

And Kingsbury is going to be a terrible hire in my personal opinion. Whatevs tho.

Yeah, you’re probably right, but then that would mean the Cardinals organization was so down on Rosen by the end of last year they didn’t feel the same way about bringing in the young creative O minded guy. Rosen wasn’t great by any stretch of the imagination, but that’s still a quick turnaround.

I don’t think that was the case with them and Rosen. I just think they’re all in on Klingsbury and his system, and are giving him Carte  Blanche. Something the Jets wouldn’t (and shouldn’t) have done.

Klingsbury and Murray are ateam I’m really interested in following this year. Ultimate boom or bust situation....

I'm willing to give him a chance because he forced  Mac. I thought this franchise would be cursed with Mac for another 5 years watching Darnold rot with the poor personell decisions Mac makes. I wasnt big on Gase but because he forced Mac out he gets a clean slate with me.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, you’re probably right, but then that would mean the Cardinals organization was so down on Rosen by the end of last year they didn’t feel the same way about bringing in the young creative O minded guy. Rosen wasn’t great by any stretch of the imagination, but that’s still a quick turnaround.

I don’t see what they were expecting. They gave him a worse OL than ours. They gave him no weapons.(aside from a 78 year old Larry Fitzgerald), the OC was fired mid-season and the coach was fired after one year of being a HC. I think the entire organization is/was a mess and Rosen should of been given another year. That’s a lot of bullsh*t to deal with as a rookie QB learning the hardest position in all of sports. His head was already spinning from the playbook and speed of the game but none of that other stuff helped.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t see what they were expecting. They gave him a worse OL than ours. They gave him no weapons.(aside from a 78 year old Larry Fitzgerald), the OC was fired mid-season and the coach was fired after one year of being a HC. I think the entire organization is/was a mess and Rosen should of been given another year. That’s a lot of bullsh*t to deal with as a rookie QB learning the hardest position in all of sports. His head was already spinning from the playbook and speed of the game but none of that other stuff helped.

Exactly. I’m always surprised when people go off on a “Rosen sucks” thing. Of all the ‘18 rookie QBs, he was the one who was put in the worst situation. It really was a shame.

Should be another tough situation this year, with him in Miami. Are they really going to tank for a QB in ‘20? If so, the kid is screwed again and could be on a 3rd team in 3 years.

I want to root for him, but that would entail the Fins doing well. So that’s not happening... but the kid deserves a fair shake.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And Kyler Murray will also struggle behind that same crappy OL in Arizona which makes the Jets OL look like the 90’s cowboys 

2 hours ago, genot said:

Gase took advantage of a weak owner. C.J. had a choice. Fire Gase, a coach he just hired, or fire Mac. The choice for him was obvious. Played brilliantly by Gase. Just likeLee-Strasberg.thumb.jpg.92c8c59af35039e69aa75e071d124088.jpg

I dont believe that at all. I think Johnson just finally opened his eyes.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I dont believe that at all. I think Johnson just finally opened his eyes.

I respect your view. Firing Mac with Bowles would have made the most sense. To anyone with a high school diploma. To retain Mac, let him work the draft, spend millions in free agency, and then suddenly his eyes open, and lets him go. Don't believe it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Mangini was not a great coach.

Gase does not suck.

Only thing worse than Mangini’s coaching was his people skills. Put a pretty nice roster together. Disappeared from the NFL like a plane in the 70’s flying over the Bermuda Triangle. 

Gase has a losing record but seems to have a much better temperament than media made him out to have. I think he will be judged more on Darnolds progress than wins in the beginning. It’s reasonable to expect the roster to hold the team back for a bit. I do agree with you though, dislike him or love him he’s just another attempt at finding a winning coach until he produces. Only wins will Wipe his slate clean. 

Personally the thing I like most about Gase Is he has Sam Darnold to work with.  A young potential Franchise QB is s pretty nice place to start.  That in my opinion will be the difference between his failed tenure in Miami and his time here. It’s also helpful the Jets seem to have finally gotten a clue and seem to be building a reasonable front office. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

What the actual f*ck is wrong with you. 

We’re fans, nothing we do will have any effect on the play on the field.

Do you not understand how fan boards work?

What their purpose is?

Geezuz f*ck, why do you have to sh*t on every thread that doesn’t impact play on the field. 

Insufferable prick. 

No name calling please. Let’s keep it peaceful. 

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I originally liked the signing of Gase. But had no idea that he would go after Macc. Or that the owner would back up Gase. And then get applauded for it by many of our fans. The whole thing was kind of weird and Shakespearean. But you have to show me first that these guys are better. I'm willing to give them a chance but after all of the drama not that much of a chance. There has to be Ws. 

I was fine with it.  I was also fine with a guy, coming from a ****ed up organization, taking action when he realized he had been dropped into another ****ed up organization.  He does want to succeed, doesn't he?  It was an inspired move.  The Douglas thing might have been brilliance.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Does it make any difference in any way if fans "give Gase a clean slate" or not, whatever that means?

If we all say yes, will Gase be better?  If we don't, will he be worse?

I didn't like his hire, and still don't.  If he wins, I'll like it alot more.  If he loses, I won't.  Pretty much like every coach that came before him.

It doesn't matter what I think of him, it matters what he does for us.

Grumph...stop being fans damn it.  Hurumph, be happy if he wins, complain like all he'll if he loses,  it please no optimism until proven.

Fans, they suck

I only read a few of the responses but to me, threads like this show how low the bar is set. This reminds me of when Rex was hired. I have to admit I was excited when Rex was hired but by the third year, the guy had learned nothing and I was hopi g he would be shown the door. 

I do hope we avoid that with Gase but if we are to believe the storys that came out about the hiring process, that he was chosen by default because nobody else the Jets wanted would take the job, then I have to say this wasn't  a good start. 

Not Gase or anyone deserves  a clean slate but Gase may have fallen into a scenario  similar to the one the BB did when the Pat's drafted Brady. I think Sam is going to be an unstoppable  force in the NFL and is going to make everyone look smart because he is the kind of player that can make everyone around him better so Gase might look lime the next coming due to that but I have to see the whole team come out prepared  to play before I give Gase a nod of approval. We have seen this team not ready so many times for what the other team brought. It would be refreshing to see that reversed. If Gase does that, I will love him. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Does it make any difference in any way if fans "give Gase a clean slate" or not, whatever that means?

If we all say yes, will Gase be better?  If we don't, will he be worse?

I didn't like his hire, and still don't.  If he wins, I'll like it alot more.  If he loses, I won't.  Pretty much like every coach that came before him.

It doesn't matter what I think of him, it matters what he does for us.

Who would you have picked that wanted the job?

I am willing to give him a clean slate, but that doesn’t equate to being a fanboy either.  

I didn’t particularly like the hire to begin with, and nothing has really changed since then.  So we will see.  

For whatever reason, this offseason has made me really disinterested in the jets and football in general.  Not at all excited for the season, like I usually am at this time.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He wouldn’t of been hired without committing to Sam. Periodttt...

the point of bringing a new young creative offensive guy in was so that he can help Darnold further his development because everyone in that building at One Jets Drive believes that he’s the one to finally break the curse.

No way.

And Kingsbury is going to be a terrible hire in my personal opinion. Whatevs tho.

Kingsbury and Ruhle (is that right? Can't remember tbh, the jesus one) were the two I didn't want. 2 guys to remind me of freakin Lou Holtz who tucked tail and ran back to college. Which is exactly what's going to happen with Kingsbury imo

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Personally the thing I like most about Gase Is he has Sam Darnold to work with.  A young potential Franchise QB is s pretty nice place to start.  That in my opinion will be the difference between his failed tenure in Miami and his time here. It’s also helpful the Jets seem to have finally gotten a clue and seem to be building a reasonable front office. 

Me too, Crusher. I have a feeling that in a couple years, being Sam's coach is going to be very similar to being Peyton Manning's coach. 

"Yeah, coach...sure. Just call the plays I tell you to. "

• Post of the Week 1

Like many I was up in arms over the Gase hiring.  I hated it...everything about it.  But amazingly, I'm now a huge believer that this guy just might be nuts enough to exorcise all the demons we've had to deal with forever.
He got Macc bounced, which got us a front office the likes of which we've never had, and the more I watch and observe of this guy the more I like him.
So I figured I'd start a thread for others like me that have had a change of heart and are kinda all in and fired up about Gase.
Count me in.  Can't believe I"m saying it but I'm a believer!

Dude, I’ll believe some things but if you think Chris & Woody have only one butler you’re nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Serious question, I’m not trying to cause any Darnold drama here.

I was intrigued with Klingsbury, and his offense, and would’ve been ok with hiring him here.

I never imagined he’d have the balls to get rid of a top 10 pick in Rosen and replace him with a air raid system QB.

if we had hired him, do you think he would’ve still wanted to draft Murray and trade Sam. That would’ve taken quite a big pair of stones....

I don't believe that he'd do that.

Rosen was supposed to be the most pro ready QB prospect, but ended up with the worst season of all the rookie QB's. He is also a statue in the pocket and lacks throw on the run ability, and mobility. Which is what a QB needs for his system. Darnold would've actually been the perfect fit as he has an extremely similar skillset to his former pupil Mr. Pat Mahomes. 

Also Darnold as a prospect has a much higher ceiling than Rosen, and probably Murray too. Remember, Kingsbury took the OC job at USC to potentially coach Darnold back when it was 50/50 that he'd return to college or go pro. 

My respect for him increased when he stood up against the media and took everything they threw at him.  The buck stopped with him and he made clear that his goal was to win games and not chase unsubstantiated reports for those circus-seeking beat writers. 

All focus will now be on the field and moving this team to a Championship. 

• Upvote 1