I'm surprised this hasnt gained any traction here yet. Blessuan Austin cleared by doctors

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Who is blessuan austin?

Blessuan Austin is an American football cornerback for the New York Jets of the National Football League. He played college football at Rutgers.

Born: July 19, 1996 (age 23 years)
Height: 6′ 1″
Weight: 198 lbs
NFL Draft: 2019 / Round: 6 / Pick: 196
Current team: New York Jets (#41 / Cornerback)
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Unless I skipped over it(If I did, sorry), but 2 days ago Austin posted on twitter that the doctor had cleared him.

It was a vague tweet outside of saying "Mood : After getting cleared by doc".  Not sure if this is for football activities, or something less, but this could very well be a huge good surprise for the team if he could contribute this season  somehow if he can get up to speed.  Very talented player at a very weak position right now.

Get healthy, stay healthy kid!

I could still see him starting the year on pup as an extra roster spot for the first 6 weeks. I bet he is cleared but its still going to take him a while to get back in shape, up to full speed, and ready for the beginning of the year as a rookie. Since he is not going to be starting, this would be the best roster move for the Jets.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I could still see him starting the year on pup as an extra roster spot for the first 6 weeks. I bet he is cleared but its still going to take him a while to get back in shape, up to full speed, and ready for the beginning of the year as a rookie. Since he is not going to be starting, this would be the best roster move for the Jets.

He ran the 40 yard dash at the combine and then again at his pro day in early April. He could easily be ready by opening day. The CB position is so thin on the Jets, it wouldn't be wise to IR him if they don't have to. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

He ran the 40 yard dash at the combine and then again at his pro day in early April. He could easily be ready by opening day. The CB position is so thin on the Jets, it wouldn't be wise to IR him if they don't have to. 

I disagree but I understand your point of view. A rookie 6th rounder watching for 6 games while on PUP is not terrible. And although they are thin for top end CBs... They have a bunch of NFL players at CB, Austin won't be ready to start day 1, IMO.

TJ is better then he played last year, Roberts is average, Poole is an above average Nickel, Nickerson needs to get his head on straight, Jones and Clark need to preform in their third year or they are gone.

But even with all that CB is one of the hardest positions to play as a rookie. Especially a rookie that has been hurt the last two years and just started practicing. The Jets need to use that roster spot for people that can actually come in and play on day 1.  By week 6-10 there will be injuries that will allow Austin to come in after and also have a better handle on NFL play.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

If he’s actually healthy, I mean really healthy and ready to contribute day 1, this is a massive steal. Possible 1st or 2nd round pick in the 6th? Tall press coverage CB?

Maybe things are turning out way. 

Who the hell projected him as a 1st or 2nd round pick!?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jets1958 said:
Blessuan Austin is an American football cornerback for the New York Jets of the National Football League. He played college football at Rutgers.

Born: July 19, 1996 (age 23 years)
Height: 6′ 1″
Weight: 198 lbs
NFL Draft: 2019 / Round: 6 / Pick: 196
Current team: New York Jets (#41 / Cornerback)

Wow, did not realize he is already 23. This guy is a freaking Mac special. He is coming off a serious injury, is older, and comes from a school not known as a football powerhouse. Check, check, and check.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Hoping he becomes a contributor in 2019, his rookie season, is like someone performing brain surgery on themself. It isn't going to happen. The Jets are f*cked at CB unless Douglas somehow pulls out the miraculous last second trade. Douglas is here to watch over MAC'S team.

3 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Wow, did not realize he is already 23. This guy is a freaking Mac special. He is coming off a serious injury, is older, and comes from a school not known as a football powerhouse. Check, check, and check.

Two serious injuries. They ended both his 2017 and 2018 seasons.

12 minutes ago, Barkus said:

And he is not an Offensive Lineman.  Check.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

link?

Don’t remember where I read it. Before his first ACL he was one of the better CBs in the Big 10 and had he continued on that arc was thought of as potentially a 1-2 round pick.  A bunch if ACLs later and that was flushed. 

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

If he’s actually healthy, I mean really healthy and ready to contribute day 1, this is a massive steal. Possible 1st or 2nd round pick in the 6th? Tall press coverage CB?

Maybe things are turning out way. 

More of a lottery pick than a possible first or second rounder.  I'd like to see him contribute before we anoint his ass.  On the other hand, I would love to Macc have an all-time great draft even though Macc has left the building.

• Upvote 1

Had 2nd or 3rd round talent before the injuries.

This one is pretty simple....If he can stay healthy I think he could be a CB3 or CB4 (which would be fantastic for a 6th round pick).  But if he can't then he'll be out of the NFL before 2021.

My guess is PS with a slight chance of seeing some time late in the season, maybe on Special Teams or something.  I'd honestly give him a "red shirt" year in 2019 if I were the Jets.

16 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Don’t remember where I read it. Before his first ACL he was one of the better CBs in the Big 10 and had he continued on that arc was thought of as potentially a 1-2 round pick.  A bunch if ACLs later and that was flushed. 

Is this what you’re talking about..?

Injuries

Injuries are a major red flag for Austin, as he suffered a torn ACL in 2017 and then re-injured it in 2018.

Had it not been for the injuries he was headed towards being an excellent prospect. NFL.com’s Chad Reuter said he would have been a day two pick and ESPN’s Mel Kiper had him ranked as the fourth best senior cornerback heading into the 2019 season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2019/5/18/18616863/scouting-jets-sixth-round-pick-blessuan-austin