TOP 10.. Most OVERpaid players ? ? ?

kelly

As you prepare for 2019 NFL training camps, let’s rank the 10 most overpaid players in the NFL right now.These rankings are mostly based on the 2019 salary cap figure for each player, though other factors are taken into account. And we are ranking them from least overpaid to most overpaid — No. 10 to No. 1.

Onward, with our dubious list ...

10. ILB Kwon Alexander, 49ers: $11.5 milllion

The 49ers this offseason gave him $14.25 million guaranteed at signing in free agency. What were they thinking? Alexander is coming off a torn ACL. He has played a full season just once in his four years in the NFL. This is probably going to come back to bite the 49ers.

9. CB Malcolm Butler, Titans: $13.1 million

The Titans clearly overpaid for him in free agency last offseason. He got $24 million fully guaranteed at signing. And he has a significant cap hit in 2019, but the Titans can’t get out of the contract yet, because his 2019 salary is fully guaranteed.

8. OT Trent Brown, Raiders: $15.25 million

The Patriots let him walk, so what’s that telling you? He doesn’t have a significant enough track record to warrant the contract the Raiders gave him in free agency this offseason. Is he really an elite left tackle? He better be, since he’s being paid like one. Brown got $36.25 million fully guaranteed.

7. CB Josh Norman, Washington: $14.5 million

What a brutal contract for Washington, which signed Norman in 2016 to a big contract and hasn’t exactly seen it pay off. He is set to make $11 million this year, after making $50.7 million in the past three seasons combined. He has just six total interceptions over that stretch, in 46 games.

6. CB Jimmy Smith, Ravens: $15.85 million

He is in the final year of his contract. He has a cap hit like a top corner, but he isn’t a top corner. He got his latest contract in 2015, and was pretty good that year. He played a full season and had three interceptions. Since, he has played in 11, 12, and 12 games — with five total picks in those 35 games.

5. CB Janoris Jenkins, Giants: $14.75 million

To be fair, cutting Jenkins would be painful for the Giants, who would have to absorb an $8 million dead money hit. Not ideal. Jenkins was a Pro Bowler in his first season with the Giants, 2016. But he has regressed since. Expect him to be cut after this season, unless he markedly improves.

4. WR Sammy Watkins, Chiefs: 19.2 million

Fairly massive cap hit for a guy who had just 519 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games last season. He got $30 million fully guaranteed from the Chiefs last offseason when he signed with them. It’s looking like a less-than-ideal contract.

3. QB Matt Stafford, Lions: $29.5 million

He has the NFL’s largest cap hit in 2019. But last season, he ranked just 25th in the NFL in quarterback rating. The previous season, he finished sixth, so maybe he can get back to that. He still has something left, at age 31. Or so it appears.

2. QB Eli Manning, Giants: $23.2 milion

What’s left to say? It’s absolutely ridiculous that he is still with the Giants, when they are clearly rebuilding and would have freed up $17 million in cap space by cutting him. Giants general manager Dave Gettleman continues to make stupid decision after stupid decision. Does this guy have any idea what he’s doing?

1. QB Kirk Cousins, Vikings: $29 million

He got a fully guaranteed $84 million contract from the Vikings last offseason. And in his first season with Minnesota, he was ... fine. He finished 10th in the NFL in quarterback rating as the Vikings went 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs. Obviously, not good enough. Cousins has two years left on his massive contract — and a long way to go if he’s going to justify it.

>    https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/07/nfl-training-camps-2019-who-are-leagues-10-most-overpaid-players-does-giants-eli-manning-make-list-any-jets-eagles.html

I think Oline and Cornerback will be 1# and 2# respectively on Joe Douglas’s shopping list both in FA, Draft and cuts.

We aren’t really on anyone’s radar at the moment, the media have us in SOJ category.

How the hell are the Chiefs paying Sammy Watkins $19.2m per! He’s at his third team and still only 26. He had 40 catches in 2018. Imagine this place if they paid Robbie Anderson that for 40 receptions ?

4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

12 million 2019 cap hit for Tru is a bad deal. 

It is not, however, as bad as these 10 deals. 

That is not an outrageous statement. 

I 'LL overpay for an 25 year old offensive tackle every year than over overpaying for a Mlb .     That isn't the position you invest crazy money in.  

We will watch the season plays out, and it will show exactly what I mean.  Two times he pancaked K Mack last year- now imagine what he will do to J Polite( 150 pounds lighter than him). 

Btw Thanks to the Jets for taking a big salary Lg salary off the Raiders hands who didn't fit their blocking scheme.( zone blocking )   The beauty part is you plan to play with a similar blocking scheme .( someone didn't do there homework).     Lets see upgrade their offense line bigtime while paying about the same.    K Osenele contract saving s ( terrible fit) + how little they are paying Incognito.( better fit)= about the same for Trent Brown contract. Ask V Miller ( now has to see him two times) how hard it's to get around Brown.

9 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

I 'LL overpay for an 25 year old offensive tackle every year than over overpaying for a Mlb .     That isn't the position you invest crazy money in.   We will watch the season plays out, and it will show exactly what I mean.  Two times he pancaked K Mack last year- now imagine what he will do to J Polite( 150 pounds lighter than him). 

This is not about how they will do. It's about how bad of a contract it is. 

Trent Brown is the highest paid right tackle in the world by a large margin and he's done next to nothing.

Trumaine is only the 10th highest paid CB. 

27 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

I 'LL overpay for an 25 year old offensive tackle every year than over overpaying for a Mlb .     That isn't the position you invest crazy money in.   We will watch the season plays out, and it will show exactly what I mean.  Two times he pancaked K Mack last year- now imagine what he will do to J Polite( 150 pounds lighter than him). 

We were all very shocked when you stepped into the thread to defend the lone Raider on the list. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Kirk cousins at 28 mil a year for 3 years is a good deal.  If the vikes can improve the offensive line and the defense next year, cousins will lead them to the super bowl.

Cousins completed 70% of his passes and only ranked 10th in the league in passer rating. Why? Because he's a check-down puss even with the best pair of WRs in the league. Actually 33rd in the league in yards/completion. He's never gonna win anything, and that contract is an anchor on the franchise. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Cousins completed 70% of his passes and only ranked 10th in the league in passer rating. Why? Because he's a check-down puss even with the best pair of WRs in the league. Actually 33rd in the league in yards/completion. He's never gonna win anything, and that contract is an anchor on the franchise. 

Kirk Cousins and the passing game was the lone bright spot on that team last year.

If there shore up the D and actually give cousins some time, i have them representing the nfc in the super bowl.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Kirk Cousins and the passing game was the lone bright spot on that team last year.

If there shore up the D and actually give cousins some time, i have them representing the nfc in the super bowl.

Strange how the Vikings went to the NFC Title game with Case Keenum but couldn't make the playoffs with Kirk Cousins.  Strange. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Strange how the Vikings went to the NFC Title game with Case Keenum but couldn't make the playoffs with Kirk Cousins.  Strange. 

I don’t think it’s quite that strange. Football is a team game, and the Vikings defense was pretty bad last year.

Let me ask you a question. If Darnold put up the exact same numbers this year that Cousins did in ‘18, and the Jets went 8-7-1, would you blame Sam if we missed the playoffs?

The Vikings went all in last year, they looked at their roster, saw a small window, maxed out their cap and signed a solid veteran QB to a 3 year deal which fits that window very well.

I think Cousins had a good not great year, but that’s all they should’ve been expecting. He’s a good, not a great QB. That said, he was nowhere near the main reason they missed the playoffs. The QB and his two WRs were about the only 3 players on that team who lived up to expectations, and Thielen dropped off considerably at the end.

We can go back in forth about the cap implications of the Cousins contract on their team long term, but this was always a short term move. Let’s watch the next two years play out, then judge.

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Let me ask you a question. If Darnold put up the exact same numbers this year that Cousins did in ‘18, and the Jets went 8-7-1, would you blame Sam if we missed the playoffs?

Sam Darnold was 21, the youngest starting QB in NFL history. 

Kirk Cousins is an 8-year veteran who hasn't won a single thing in his life except 1 Bowl Game his Senior season at Michigan State.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'd be disappointed. In Darnold. 

Sam threw for just about 2 more yards per completion than Cousins, Good for 11th in the league. As I mentioned, Cousins was 33rd. Herm would love him, because he's out there playing to win the game. Cousins is your stereotypical play not to lose and protect my precious stats kinda guy. Take his record against teams with winning records. I want a QB who's gonna push the ball down the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

And that's with Diggs and Thielen was putting up 100 yard receiving games for the first what ~10 weeks of the season? Granted Cook was hurt for a good part of the year, but Darnold had to deal with Enunwa and Anderson both being hurt along with a bunch of the RB's and linemen. Vikings did the Jets the biggest favor by signing Cousins.  Sometimes the best deal is the one that doesn't happen.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I'd be disappointed. In Darnold. 

Sam threw for just about 2 more yards per completion than Cousins, Good for 11th in the league. As I mentioned, Cousins was 33rd. Herm would love him, because he's out there playing to win the game. Cousins is your stereotypical play not to lose and protect my precious stats kinda guy. Take his record against teams with winning records. I want a QB who's gonna push the ball down the field. 

Hmmm. Good argument, I must admit....

Sammy Watkins was great with the Bills. It happens so often that a change of teams, scenery and scheme changes the outcome of the players performance dramatically. Didn't know Josh Norman signing is a bust. Because of interceptions? Lock down corners don't usually have a lot. 

That Butler contract is NUTS! That dude cashed in with his pick that iced the Super Bowl, but he was always meh. Belichick signed Gilmore instead, what does that tell you? 

I swear, Belichick watching players he lets walk, Butler, Flowers, Brown get these top 5 contracts probably just sits in a large chair in his Nantucket living room petting a cat wearing all his Rings like Dr. Evil laughing his azz off.