Sign in to follow this  
BettyBoop

New York Jets 2019-2020

No one is exactly sure what to expect from the Jets in 2019.  While some, including Madden, think they will be one of the worst teams in the league, other pundits predict a playoff run with some even expecting a win in the post season.  I am optimistic about this season ,but that optimism is somewhat tempered by history.  But, at the very least. I expect this team to come out of 2019 with just a few holes that will need to be addressed in 2020.

• The questions around the OL boils down to how many starters will need to be replaced.  I'm expecting at least two new starters will be needed likely at center and LT.
  • The secondary will likely need one new starter, hopefully at CB2.  Even if Trumaine lives up to 60-70% of his contract, he should be a capable starter on the other side.
  • A #1 receiver will be needed.  Period.
  • A young RB will be needed to eventually replace Bell.

The plan

• Ideally a LT will be available in the first round.  There are several potential quality starters who should be available in the draft.  Andrew Thomas (Georgia), Walter Little (Stanford), and Trey Adams (Washington) all come to mind.
  • If Douglas is as good as we all hope he is, he should be able to snag a top WR in the second round.  Michael Thomas, Juju Smith-Schuster, Davante Adams, and Keenan Allen are all second and third round picks.  Or he could just find out who the Steelers are targeting at WR as it seems they always manage to find great receivers after the first round.
  • A solid CB could be found in the third or a serviceable veteran could be signed in free agency without breaking the bank.
  • Solid if not spectacular RB are often found in round 3 or later.
  • A veteran center is usually available in free agency.

We will know pretty quickly if Douglas is the guy we all think he is.

History sais that the Jets win at least 9 games in 2019. Just look at the 1st season for the past 5 new head coaches of the Jets. 9 wins minimum. Playoffs in 3 of those 5 seasons. This year will be no different. At least 9 wins.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

If Darnold progresses as we hope he does in year 2, I think the Jets are a 9-10 win team.

I cannot understand how this team cannot be vastly improved over what we have seen in the last 4 years.

1) The subtraction of sleepy Bowles and his staff alone should net us at least 2-4 more wins this season. The Texan game, the Packer game, both were winnable were it not for playing not to lose, Bowles trademark. It was so bad over the last season(s), there were several games I did not watch 1 minute of knowing they would put forth no effort, and had zero chance to even be competitive, the Bear game, Viking game, both NE games just to name a few.. It seemed whenever they went up against a superior opponent, they just went out knowing they were going to lose and went through the motions.

2) Le'Veon Bell. I think a lot of so called experts are dismissing him because he sat out a year. Big mistake. If healthy, he is going to make a HUGE difference in our offense. If we can keep Sam on his feet, this offense will torch people on a weekly basis. Man, how quickly they forget lol.

3) Gregg Williams defense Does anyone expect us to blow as many 4th quarter leads as we have in the past? I don't. Comparing Bowles and KC Rodgers defenses to Gregg Williams defense in my humble opinion is like comparing spam to filet mignon. I expect this defense to play with fire and grit and be as aggressive as is possible within the letter of the law.

4) I do not think people are taking what the addition of CJ Mosely means to a defense, seriously. Mosely has the chance to make everyone on that defense better, and has the skill to put all of the players in the right position by reading and reacting to the offensive play calls. He is our defensive QB and should make a huge difference. I expect big things from he and the Jet defense.

5) Jaichai Polite and QW. Assuming Q signs soon, I expect to see an excellent if not dominant run defense and a (much) better pass rush. Couple that with our D backfield and I would say we have the makings of a pretty good defense.

Now I haven't seen a single play yet nor have any of us so we really do not know what we have, but I feel strongly about this season as a turning point in Jet history, and the start to our being ultra competitive for years to come. There is a lot of good talent on this roster now. Mac had his shortcomings as we know but he in no way left the cupboard bare. I think the NY Jets had the best offseason of any NFL team BY FAR in terms of FO and player personnel. There is no excuse for this team to not win at least 8 games this season, if not more, if reasonably healthy.

and the wheels on the bus go ‘round and ‘round...

Is it me, or is this about the 40th thread this offseason saying the exact same thing?

All we need is a few of the “and Darnold will...” posts, then we’re good.

49 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

History sais that the Jets win at least 9 games in 2019. Just look at the 1st season for the past 5 new head coaches of the Jets. 9 wins minimum. Playoffs in 3 of those 5 seasons. This year will be no different. At least 9 wins.

SOJ

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Saw Vegas had the Jets at 7.5 wins. Was surprised that it's that high. 

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

I expect this team to come out of 2019 with just a few holes that will need to be addressed in 2020.

Bold prediction there Cotton 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Ill take that bet!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Ill take that bet!

I hear yah, depends on what kinda NFCe shows up.

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

and the wheels on the bus go ‘round and ‘round...

Is it me, or is this about the 40th thread this offseason saying the exact same thing?

All we need is a few of the “and Darnold will...” posts, then we’re good.

And the meatloaf crew is back!  Why don't you start a thread about meatloaf recipes?

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

No one is exactly sure what to expect from the Jets in 2019.  While some, including Madden, think they will be one of the worst teams in the league, other pundits predict a playoff run with some even expecting a win in the post season.  I am optimistic about this season ,but that optimism is somewhat tempered by history.  But, at the very least. I expect this team to come out of 2019 with just a few holes that will need to be addressed in 2020.

• The questions around the OL boils down to how many starters will need to be replaced.  I'm expecting at least two new starters will be needed likely at center and LT.
  • The secondary will likely need one new starter, hopefully at CB2.  Even if Trumaine lives up to 60-70% of his contract, he should be a capable starter on the other side.

The plan

• Ideally a LT will be available in the first round.  There are several potential quality starters who should be available in the draft.  Andrew Thomas (Georgia), Walter Little (Stanford), and Trey Adams (Washington) all come to mind.
  • If Douglas is as good as we all hope he is, he should be able to snag a top WR in the second round.  Michael Thomas, Juju Smith-Schuster, Davante Adams, and Keenan Allen are all second and third round picks.  Or he could just find out who the Steelers are targeting at WR as it seems they always manage to find great receivers after the first round.
  • A solid CB could be found in the third or a serviceable veteran could be signed in free agency without breaking the bank.

Adam Gase’s passing attack is from Mike Martz, Bell can be like Faulk out of the backfield as a receiver, Robbie is Holt, Q is something the greatest show didn’t have, Crowder is essentially equal to their 3rd WR that year forget his name off the top of the dome.  Now the Jets don’t have an Issac Bruce, and Darnold is not ready to be Kurt Warner like, BUT if Joe D gets the Jets a Bruce like WR, and Gase can coach Darnold up to be on the Kurt Warner level 2020 could be a whole lot of fun (I still think 2019 will be a whole lot of fun, but I just don’t expect the big time winning to start till 2020, hopefully I’m wrong, and like the Eagles a few years back the Jets are a year ahead of schedule).

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

No one is exactly sure what to expect from the Jets in 2019.  While some, including Madden.....

Well, this isn't starting well........🤣

I am optimistic about this season ,but that optimism is somewhat tempered by history.  But, at the very least. I expect this team to come out of 2019 with just a few holes that will need to be addressed in 2020.

All valid concerns long-term.  O-Line, CB and #1 WR are all either questionable long-term, or simply are not currently filled by legit players.

The plan

Sounds fine enough.  I would just posit that it's too early to start planning for Offseason 2020 since we have no idea how Season 2019 will actually play out yet.  Things can and do change, and players on the roster could prove themselves capable (or not) before then.  WR may not be a need.  RB may not be an immediate need (I'm not on the "Bell is gone after year 2" theorycrafting group).  O-line could be materially better with our draft picks and FA pickup already.  Trumaine may even redeem his sorry 2018 season by actually trying.  Doubtful, but still.

I have no qualms with your list of needs as we stand today, but at this point we're past offseason mode and into season mode, where it's about evaluating what we have, no planning for next cycle and what we don't.  Lets give our new guys and a few old guys a chance to show us first.....then we can replace them.

I actually believe that the first three rounds of next year’s draft plus the available cap space should be able to fill a lot of holes.  

I believe that Trumaine Johnson will play much better because he is not stupid, and he is in a position to be overpaid if he can just play decently.   The Jets have too many holes to cut Johnson, take a cap hit and find a replacement if Johnson is playing decently.  If he plays like last year again, you cut him on principle.

But I also believe that we really can’t afford Leo, Henry and Quinnen, together.  Someone needs to go.  We also can’t afford Jenkins signed to a new contract and Avery.  

I never understood why fans clamor for a #1 WR. The Jets have R. Anderson, Enunwa and Crowder- three WRs with 3 very specific skill sets. They have a RB who can block and catch like a WR, and they have a TE who can block and catch like a WR. That's 5 versatile weapons that can be on the field at the same time for Darnold to target. Teams don't 'need' a #1 WR, teams need versatile weapons.  

When was the last time a team with a true #1 WR won the Superbowl? A true star #1 WR who commanded safety help and could do everything. It's been over 10 years. I think you have to go back to the 2007 Colts with Marvin Harrison. And that was at the very tail end of his career.

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I never understood why fans clamor for a #1 WR. The Jets have R. Anderson, Enunwa and Crowder- three WRs with 3 very specific skill sets. They have a RB who can block and catch like a WR, and they have a TE who can block and catch like a WR. That's 5 versatile weapons that can be on the field at the same time for Darnold to target. Teams don't 'need' a #1 WR, teams need versatile weapons.  

When was the last time a team with a true #1 WR won the Superbowl? A true star #1 WR who commanded safety help and could do everything. It's been over 10 years. I think you have to go back to the 2007 Colts with Marvin Harrison. And that was at the very tail end of his career.

I've made this argument over and over, but the Jets could use an upgrade to their WR corps, and drafting a guy who could be their top receiver within a couple years would be welcome by me. They don't need a Megatron, but they could certainly use better receivers. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

This team is drastically better than last season IMO with the additions of Bell, Crowder, Montgomery, Osemele, Compton, Mosley, Poole, and some rookie hopefuls.  The defense has legit playmakers at all 3 levels and should have a great ground and air attack especially if Darnold takes the next step.

But I think the biggest factor in more wins is that Todd Bowles was truly one of the worst coaches I've ever seen..  It's astonishing that he's been around the game his whole life yet totally clueless about the simplest concepts and logic.  And that's despite the fact he couldnt develop talent and had an unhealthy devotion to Kacy Rodgers.   He was so bad, that someone like myself who isnt high on Adam Gase, believes he's 3-4 wins better than Bowles last year with the same team.  Both Miami games, Clev., GB, Houston, Titans were all winnable games where Todd did some insanely stupid sh*t that a competent coach maybe wouldnt have won them all but half for sure.  Then you think about games like the Bills and Jags where he really showed his true colors by letting Matt Barkley blow your doors off at home and Blake Bortles calling you out in the middle of game because it was getting embarrassing that they wouldnt make an adjustment to stop a simple crossing route. 

- Bowles is like +3 wins

i hope lol

disagree totally with the #1 Wr myth...

you dont even need to look past our own division, Pats, ffs