jetsons

Baby Sam committing to USC

Cool post, 

Noticed at the end of the second vid he is asked what is the hardest throw to make?

Accuracy on the deep ball 

Darnold had a hard time last year with this, finishing with a league low in completion % on the deep ball. 

• Upvote 1

Nice video's. Thanks for posting. Where Helen of Troy on this ? lol

• Haha 1

Baby Sam was shy and humble. 

He’s matured past his shyness yet has maintained being humble despite all the attention and praise cast on him at USC and the New York media.

Today’s players have more opportunities than any generation to showcase their egos through the general media and social media. A lot of the showboating players do off the field can really turn me off. (Getting notifications 😳from BR of Odell Beckham’s new haircut). Sam could care less about the limelight and is on the biggest stage in the world. 

We’re lucky to have him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rsherman28 said:

Cool post, 

Noticed at the end of the second vid he is asked what is the hardest throw to make?

Darnold had a hard time last year with this, finishing with a league low in completion % on the deep ball. 

Remind me of the definition of the deep ball.  Is it a throw over 20 yards?

This isn't an excuse for Sam but deep completions increasingly rely on the ability of the WR to track the ball accurately and adjust his speed in order to be hit in stride.  Guys like DeSean Jackson are elite at this.  I thought Robby Anderson did a pretty good job on that last year and I remember Sam hitting him pretty accurately on some deep passes.

I wonder if there's video examples of the types of deep throws Sam was missing on last year and if the cause of that has been identified.

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2019 at 3:06 AM, jetsons said:

Dude, I got the chills.  Check it out at the 3:15 mark in the second video....That's Sam as a sophomore (EDIT: More likely his Junior or Senior year) in high school recognizing the rush, evading, doing a step back and making an odd angle throw for a short completion.  That's a glimpse of what was to come.  Think back to the Texans game....

TintedHeavenlyAffenpinscher_size_restricted.gif.4337daaff8e88792f556ae501ecd4084.gif

• Upvote 3

Can we get any baby pictures of Sam?

or maybe like a lock of his hair...it’s for a friend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's so awkward it's kind of adorable. Talking about Sam's humility, I think it's just his nature. The dude seems pretty introverted and basic, assertive and risk taking on the field but far from the center of attention off of it.

Compare him to loud and flashy Mayfield and it's like Noon and Midnight. Mayfield has in your face attitude on twitter and a photo on his Instagram of him next to some sort of expensive luxury convertible and a f#cking tiger. Sam meanwhile barely touches twitter and has a couple sponsored things on his igram account. That's not a knock on either of them, just an illustration of how reserved our GingerBack is compared to some of his peers. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Remind me of the definition of the deep ball.  Is it a throw over 20 yards?

This isn't an excuse for Sam but deep completions increasingly rely on the ability of the WR to track the ball accurately and adjust his speed in order to be hit in stride.  Guys like DeSean Jackson are elite at this.  I thought Robby Anderson did a pretty good job on that last year and I remember Sam hitting him pretty accurately on some deep passes.

I wonder if there's video examples of the types of deep throws Sam was missing on last year and if the cause of that has been identified.

I believe it’s 20+ yards and that would be a cool breakdown to see. 

For me it is probably a combination of a few things to take into consideration :

As you mentioned, receivers being able to track the ball 

Poor offensive line play

Play caller only running out routes with RA, instead of play actions and roll outs 

Being out of games and just having to throw it up all 4th quarter

I was scratching my head when the new madden rating came out and his arm strength is only an 88. I am guessing this stat had something to do with considering it’s probably just a bunch of nerds looking at stats to compare to overall ratings.

10 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

He's so awkward it's kind of adorable. Talking about Sam's humility, I think it's just his nature. The dude seems pretty introverted and basic, assertive and risk taking on the field but far from the center of attention off of it.

Compare him to loud and flashy Mayfield and it's like Noon and Midnight. Mayfield has in your face attitude on twitter and a photo on his Instagram of him next to some sort of expensive luxury convertible and a f#cking tiger. Sam meanwhile barely touches twitter and has a couple sponsored things on his igram account. That's not a knock on either of them, just an illustration of how reserved our GingerBack is compared to some of his peers. 

Different strokes... everyone has a different personality. The important thing is that they stay true to who they are.

Sam acting like Baker is never going to happen. He’s quiet and it almost seems like he doesn’t relish the role of vocal leader OFF the field. On the field he comes off as calm and collected.

Baker is the exact opposite. I don’t think he’d be the player he is if he tried to act like Sam. It’s almost like he needs to invent an adversary in order to pump himself up. Sort of like a boxer type mentality.

I think sometimes we forget these guys are just kids, the two of them along with Allen, Rosen and Jackson will be compared for years. Unlike a lot of you, I think each one of them can become very good QBs. Obviously Baker is well on his way, but Sam and Allen can get there too if they can take a big step forward this year.

Rosen needs a break, he was in a horrible situation last year. I also think a lot of people are sleeping on Lamar Jackson. I look for him to light it up this year in an offense designed around him.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

i recollect bunches of deep shots that seemed "what the hell" throws to Robbie when nothing else was there either...

if Robbie was Mike Evans the % would have been much better...  but just outmuscling guys for jump balls? we dont have that guy. 

just my recollection.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Dude, I got the chills.  Check it out at the 3:15 mark in the second video....That's Sam as a sophomore in high school recognizing the rush, evading, doing a step back and making an odd angle throw for a short completion.  That's a glimpse of what was to come.  Think back to the Texans game....

TintedHeavenlyAffenpinscher_size_restricted.gif.4337daaff8e88792f556ae501ecd4084.gif

I believe he was either a Junior or a Senior in HS when he did that... according to the video (1:10 mark) the interviewer states Sam played Receiver & OLB as a Sophomore.... either way he's doing the Same thing... Nice find. 👍

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Nice video's. Thanks for posting. Where Helen of Troy on this ? lol

What? That’s actually from her home videos! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

I believe he was either a Junior or a Senior in HS when he did that... according to the video (1:10 mark) the interviewer states Sam played Receiver & OLB as a Sophomore.... either way he's doing the Same thing... Nice find. 👍

Thanks.  You're right.  Still a pretty sick play in HS.

• Upvote 1

Here is his interview from the Elite 11.

• Upvote 1

Here is the full version and also includes Rosen, Murray, and Lock. It's long but well worth it if you have the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

What? That’s actually from her home videos! 

Clowns.  😂

16 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Cool post, 

Deep balls are completed at such a low percentage that a few more incompletions from QB to QB could drastically change the percentage. I bet league leaders change year to year and one year a QB will have a great percentage then suck the next year . For instance didn't Fitz lead the league one year by a large margin on deep ball percentage ? Also like @jetstream23 said a lot depends on the WR and how they adjust to the deep ball. Most of the time the QB is aiming for an area allowing the WR to run to the ball. The amount of times a QB hits a WR with a deep ball in perfect stride in a window the size of your chest is extremely low. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, jetstream23 said:

Dude, I got the chills.  Check it out at the 3:15 mark in the second video....That's Sam as a sophomore (EDIT: More likely his Junior or Senior year) in high school recognizing the rush, evading, doing a step back and making an odd angle throw for a short completion.  That's a glimpse of what was to come.  Think back to the Texans game....

The first time he does this in a playoff game even the casual NFL fans will go nuts.  Very fun to watch that type of play.  Definitely evolved from playing point guard.