Q's contract holdup

From Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the holdup in Quinnen Williams' contract talks is "deferment of signing bonus money."

Williams wants more of his bonus paid out this year while he is still a resident of Alabama, where the tax rate is lower than New Jersey. The Jets are apparently proposing the lowest percentage of a Year 1 signing bonus that they have ever offered to a first-round pick under the new CBA. Sam Darnold held out the first few days of camp last year before eventually signing. We could be looking at a repeat.

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

From Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the holdup in Quinnen Williams' contract talks is "deferment of signing bonus money."

Williams wants more of his bonus paid out this year while he is still a resident of Alabama, where the tax rate is lower than New Jersey. The Jets are apparently proposing the lowest percentage of a Year 1 signing bonus that they have ever offered to a first-round pick under the new CBA. Sam Darnold held out the first few days of camp last year before eventually signing. We could be looking at a repeat.

Hold this.

• Haha 1

And so the negotiating through the media begins.

Don't blame either side really.  Q wants to get the most of his money and the Jets want to get the most team friendly deal possible.  Not worried about it.

• Upvote 2

·

32m

Hold-up on Quinnen Williams signing his deal is indeed the signing bonus payment schedule, per sources. Jets prefer larger % deferred. As

@TomPelissero

noted, the difference is about $100K. Full SB will be $21.68M. Jets taking curious hard-line stance on this to this point

30 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

From Rotoworld:

Would love to find out this scoop but couldn't find my image.jpeg.37e0c38b900d056ae11ba1cf3345567a.jpegto read that print.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

·

32m

Hold-up on Quinnen Williams signing his deal is indeed the signing bonus payment schedule, per sources. Jets prefer larger % deferred. As

@TomPelissero

noted, the difference is about $100K. Full SB will be $21.68M. Jets taking curious hard-line stance on this to this point

The NFL is all about investing in risky assets.  But sometimes you have to just bite down hard and get the deal done.  If the delta on this is really that small, the Jets are being a bit foolish.  Not a good look for a brand new GM to have his top draft pick holding out if it's over something this small.

• Upvote 2

There's no rush on this guy haste makes waste. Hopefully he's eating a lot of potato salad and eating a lot of steak so he can gain a lot of weight so he can clog the middle like a real nose tackle!!! I would like to see him get to 320 lb... Remember Sione Pouha? He was pretty good nose tackle for the Jets!!!

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The NFL is all about investing in risky assets.  But sometimes you have to just bite down hard and get the deal done.  If the delta on this is really that small, the Jets are being a bit foolish.  Not a good look for a brand new GM to have his top draft pick holding out if it's over something this small.

Except it's not his pick, which I think is all the more reason he'd be motivated to take a strong stance.  From his own perspective, it's likely an even worse look to come across as a pushover to another guy's rookie.

In the end though, as long as this doesn't drag on for too long, no one will think twice about it when all is said and done.  For all of Maccagnan's incompetence that got him deservedly fired, still nobody ever threw the Darnold contract situation in his face once it was over.

1 minute ago, jeTMAC said:

There's no rush on this guy haste makes waste. Hopefully he's eating a lot of potato salad and eating a lot of steak so he can gain a lot of weight so he can clog the middle like a real nose tackle!!! I would like to see him get to 320 lb... Remember Sione Pouha? He was pretty good nose tackle for the Jets!!!

No

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, PoconoJetFan said:

Just pay the kid already. Don't nickel and dime players you're expecting big things from

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

once upon a time the Jets were set to pay Jon McGraw more than Darrelle Revis

they've changed GM's and HC's about a dozen times since then but the ownership story is always the same: 

the Johnson family aren't like Sajid Khan. Talc powder is crushing the J&J stock.

Owning the Jets is their piggy bank. Money they don't spend is called profit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Am I reading this right . This holdout is over a 100k?  That sounds crazy jets need to get it together the optics of this alone isn’t worth it . 

No, the signing bonus is worth $26 million split up 4 ways annually. Williams wants a bigger cut up front so he keeps more of it in his own pocket, rather than paying ridiculous NJ taxes.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they've changed GM's and HC's about a dozen times since then but the ownership story is always the same: 

the Johnson family aren't like Sajid Khan. Talc powder is crushing the J&J stock.

So just for a little fact-checking.  J&J stock was at $126/share a year ago.  Today it's at $130/share.  Not a great YoY gain, but a little north of being 'crushed'.  5 years ago it was $102/share.  And Woody's net worth is estimated at over $4B by Bloomberg so I think he's going to be okay and that's not what's driving this decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Not saying whether it’s stupid or not over the small difference, but the reason this is a thing is because of setting precedents and the slow erosion of negotiating position over time in regards to future negotiations. 100k lost today in present dollars is also 100k lost next year plus more when it comes to that further erosion to the next player’s negotiation in the future 

the owners reap during the cba negotiations anyways so **** them, but the agents have to dig in to what they can fight for with what they are allowed to bargain against. 

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Am I reading this right . This holdout is over a 100k?  That sounds crazy jets need to get it together the optics of this alone isn’t worth it . 

Actually, what I just heard on NFLN is that it is over money that would cost Q $100k more in taxes if deferred (vs getting it now).

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

So just for a little fact-checking.  J&J stock was at $126/share a year ago.  Today it's at $130/share.  Not a great YoY gain, but a little north of being 'crushed'.  5 years ago it was $102/share.  And Woody's net worth is estimated at over $4B by Bloomberg so I think he's going to be okay and that's not what's driving this decision.

I don’t know how much of Mom/Woody/Chris wealth is in j and j stock.  I thought not a lot. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

I doubt they have much j and j stock

5 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

No, the signing bonus is worth $26 million split up 4 ways annually. Williams wants a bigger cut up front so he keeps more of it in his own pocket, rather than paying ridiculous NJ taxes.

Isn’t this beneficial for us anyway? We have some cap space at the moment. This will free up cap space in year 2, 3, and 4. Am I right?