Mark Sanchez retires from NFL for high-profile ESPN job

Mark Sanchez retires from NFL for high-profile ESPN job

July 23, 2019 | 8:35am | Updated 

Enlarge Image
Mark Sanchez
Mark SanchezGetty Images

Quarterback Mark Sanchez is putting away his helmet and heading to ABC/ESPN to be a college football analyst, The Post has learned.

Sources tell The Post the former Jets quarterback’s main job will be in ABC’s lead college football studio, where he will join Kevin Negandhi and Jon Vilma. Sanchez is replacing Mack Brown, who left to coach North Carolina.

Sanchez, 32, played 10 years in the NFL, beginning his career by going to back-to-back AFC Championships and playing well enough to inspire his coach, Rex Ryan, to ink a tattoo of Ryan’s wife wearing Sanchez’s No. 6 jersey. Ryan is also an ESPN football analyst.

After the strong first two seasons, Sanchez’s pro career went downhill and he may be most remembered for the “butt fumble.” In a Thanksgiving game against the Patriots in 2012, Sanchez ran into the backside of offensive lineman Brandon Moore. ESPN replayed the blooper endlessly.

After five years with the Jets, Sanchez bounced around the NFL, spending time with the Eagles, Bears, Cowboys and Redskins. In two games in Washington last year, he was 19-for-35 for 128 yards. He threw no touchdowns and three interceptions.

Sanchez’s move adds another big name to the Saturday college football scene. Besides ESPN’s “GameDay,” Fox is debuting a new studio show that will feature another USC quarterback, Mark Leinart, former Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn, another USC standout in Reggie Bush and former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer.

Sanchez left USC after his junior season and became the fifth pick of the 2009 draft by the Jets.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I can't knock the guy. He had a 10 year career in the NFL and made a lot of money.  He's only 32, and (to my knowledge) hasn't suffered any major head injuries. Also I believe he's now married and has kids. It makes sense to take a cushy TV gig rather than bounce around the league fighting for a spot on someone's roster.

Good for him

Not to mention on the poon tang he got while in NY. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I always loved Mark, he brought me two of the most exciting seasons I’ve ever watched as a Jets fan. Look at his playoff stats, he played well enough to get us to the show. Nothing but love for him.

I agree.  he was not the reason we lost either of those 2 championship games, that's for sure.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

9 touchdowns in 6 playoff games doesn't cut it. 

In the first round of the 2009 postseason, the Cardinals outdueled the Packers 51-45, the Cowboys put up 34 and the Ravens 33.  In the 2nd round you had the Saints putting up 45 and the Vikings scoring 45.  In the Conference Title games you had the Saints scoring 31 and the Colts 30.  In the Super Bowl the Saints put up 31 points.  The Jets averaged less than 20 points per game.  So no, Sanchez didn't perform "well enough to get us to the show", or else we would have, you know, gotten to the show.  Especially since the defense only allowed 28 points total over the first 2 rounds.  The DEFENSE did well enough to get us there.  Mark Sanchez did not. 

In the 2010 postseason, the Ravens scored 30 in the 1st round.  The Seahawks beat the Saints 41-36.  The Bears beat the Seahawks in Round 2, 35-24.  The Packers beat the Falcons 48-21.  The Steelers beat the Ravens 31-24.  In the Super Bowl, the Packers beat the Steelers 31-25.  The Jets averaged just 21 points per game.  And Sanchez himself handed the Steelers 7 points on a key strip-sack to end the 1st half against the Steelers.  He also had a key turnover on downs at the Steeler 2 in the 2nd half.  So no, Sanchez didn't perform "well enough to get us to the show", or else we would have, you know, gotten  to the show.  Especially since the defense only allowed 18 points per game over the 3 games.  The DEFENSE did well enough to get us there.  Mark Sanchez did not. 

He did a decent job of avoiding turnovers in the postseason (3 INT, 2 Fumbles) compared to his usual Sanchezian self.  That's about the only good thing you can say about his playoff performances as a whole.  And even then, that strip sack I mentioned was the worst possible turnover at the worst possible time.  It's not like he was flinging up a hail mary and had it picked off in the end zone at the end of a half.  He essentially cost us a chance at a comeback with that turnover. 

Yes, I just used a lot of words to explain how someone was wrong about Mark Sanchez and games played over 8 years ago.  But if people are going to continue making stupid arguments to explain that Mark Sanchez was better than he's remembered, I'll continue showing how you're dead wrong. 

you should take this argument and present it to the guy who says Eli is a HOFer.....

Not sure where you stand on that, or if you are one of the ones saying he is not (then my point is moot).  But if Eli is a HOFer, then Sanchez was amazing for us those two years.  can't have it both ways.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

you should take this argument and present it to the guy who says Eli is a HOFer.....

Not sure where you stand on that, or if you are one of the ones saying he is not (then my point is moot).  But if Eli is a HOFer, then Sanchez was amazing for us those two years.  can't have it both ways. 

Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls.  Mark Sanchez won.....nothing.  There's no trophies for finishing as a Wild Card and getting to the conference title game twice.  I'd say that's a pretty massive difference in the 2 resumes, wouldn't you?

Mark Sanchez was not "amazing".  9 touchdowns in 6 games.  That's not passable for a pro QB in today's NFL.  Did you even notice what I said about how the other QB's were doing in those 2 postseasons?  Sanchez's job was to hand the ball off and not turn it over (which he couldn't even do; SEE:  Steelers strip-sack).  The rest of the playoff QB's were slinging it around. 

The guy who hates Eli also thought Mark Sanchez was actually good.  Talk about trying to have it "both ways", nyjunc is the posterboy for moving the goalposts to suit his arguments. 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

A young QB comes out of USC a year early and is drafted high in the 1st round by the Jets. 

This story sounds familiar...

Sam is better but hopefully we keep adding talent around Sam unlike what we did with Sanchez

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls.  Mark Sanchez won.....nothing.  There's no trophies for finishing as a Wild Card and getting to the conference title game twice.  I'd say that's a pretty massive difference in the 2 resumes, wouldn't you?

Mark Sanchez was not "amazing".  9 touchdowns in 6 games.  That's not passable for a pro QB in today's NFL.  Did you even notice what I said about how the other QB's were doing in those 2 postseasons?  Sanchez's job was to hand the ball off and not turn it over (which he couldn't even do; SEE:  Steelers strip-sack).  The rest of the playoff QB's were slinging it around. 

The guy who hates Eli also thought Mark Sanchez was actually good.  Talk about trying to have it "both ways", nyjunc is the posterboy for moving the goalposts to suit his arguments. 

Mark and Eli are very similar, Eli is Mark with better teams around him.  Both could look really good one week and like a rookie the next, both could play poorly for 3 qtrs then forget it and play well in the 4th, both rode their D's to playoff success.  The difference was Eli's D's stepped up in title games, marks stepped back.

The only QB who had more ints than Mark during 2009-2012 was Eli Manning.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Mark and Eli are very similar, Eli is Mark with better teams around him.  Both could look really good one week and like a rookie the next, both could play poorly for 3 qtrs then forget it and play well in the 4th, both rode their D's to playoff success.  The difference was Eli's D's stepped up in title games, marks stepped back.

You’re quite the curmudgeon, aren’t you?

I like that...

Good job for him.  He’s going to be good on TV.  That Funny or Die video around the super bowl this year was good.  If he works out at espn, you’ll see him in commercials, sitcom cameos, Etc making fun of himself.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

This is next level delusion. The guy just "retired" in his prime because he's not good enough and hasnt been a starter in at least 5 years. Eli, while not great, is still an NFL level starting QB pushing 40. At 32 even more so. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is next level delusion. The guy just "retired" in his prime because he's not good enough and hasnt been a starter in at least 5 years. Eli, while not great, is still an NFL level starting QB pushing 40. At 32 even more so. 

If Eli's D doesn't come through in the 2007 playoffs Eli is gone from the Giants by 2009 or 2010.  If Mark's D holds a double digit lead in Indy, his career goes in a very different direction.  Eli wouldn't have been starting for another team (unless their starter for hurt) in the last 5 years even with the SB wins

In 2 title games mark Sanchez led his Os to 17 pts each time and lost, in an 2 title games led his Os to 17 & 20 in regulation and won.

• Post of the Week 1